Alive Hospice Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Takes a lot of heart to work here
Intern (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 8, 2018
You will develop some very thick skin after your experiences in any hospice, it is certainly not for everyone. Very demanding, but you will learn a great deal
Great place to work!
Clinical Outreach Nurse Liaison (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 1, 2018
Supportive environment, continuing education promoted and provided. Thoroughly enjoyed my tenure there and proud to have been part of such a great organization! CEO is outstanding and truly invests in the employees and culture of the work place.
voted best place to work in Nashville, TN 2017
RN (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 4, 2017
i worked nights on call and loved it. Sometimes it would get hectic but the patients and their families were my priority. Most of the time. I could stay with the patient much longer than the case managers could. Alive has an excellent orientation (1 month). Previously, I had worked at a smaller hospice for 3 years and I learned so much more with Alive's orientation. Everyone is caring and a joy to work with. Also always opportunities for CEUs.
The hardest part of the job was seeing patients die but also very gratifying to give them a peaceful death.
Pros
fleet car, great benefits
Cons
Never know what you are walking into at night
great place to work
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 23, 2017
Alive Hospice is a peaceful work place, friendly staff, overall a great place to work.the hardest part is when a patient passes. The most enjoyable part of the job would be being a listening ear to family members while they are venting during this tough time.
acting charge nurse (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 1, 2017
I loved working for this organization. I learned so much about how to care for terminally ill patients. The job culture was very accepting and open to teach new nurses. Management was great and I would recommend this organization to anyone.
Hospice Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 24, 2017
Alive Hospice does hospice services correctly! AH is a great place to work. I left because I was moving out of the area. They have wonderful and caring staff
I loved working at Hospice because I felt like I was making a difference in my patients and family members lives.
HOME HEALTH AIDE (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 20, 2015
Work day started at the office by getting your schedule for the day. Arrange your day by calling each home and let them know about what time you will arrive. Assist patient with bathing, a light meal, or light housekeeping. Sometimes they just want me to visit with them. I also done wound care, colostomy care, catheter care, and given enemas.I helped with ROM and massages.I worked with patients ages 6 months - 102 years old.The hardest part of this job was when you couldn't get the patient comfortable. I enjoyed being able to assist the family and patient with their needs. I'm always smiling and the patients love to see that every time you come. That is my goal to make them forget about their illness and bring in a little warmth and comfort to them.
Most rewarding nursing work I have ever done...
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 12, 2015
I had a friend tell me to apply because they were growing rapidly. It's been the best two years of my nursing career. I really feel like I make a difference there. In my last position, we had salary freezes at that hospital. Here, I have consistently grown my salary. I have more PTO than at my last facility too! (The other place is said to have the best benefits in Nashville.) They've recently restructured the teams to where our manager supervises less people. I feel like we get more access to our managers this way. I know they used to be a lot busier. They let us work autonomously...but I honestly feel very supported when I have questions or need help. My co-workers are there for me. Anyone who has been a nurse for any length of time know how huge that is! Great place to work. I love being able to help patients and families. THIS is why I became a nurse.
Pros
Patient Care
Unique and Rewarding
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 2, 2015
Bringing hospice services to an individual in need can be one of the most challenging tasks for a variety of reasons, but it is consistently the most rewarding work I have ever done!
Fun place to work
Certified Nurses Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 5, 2015
Enjoyed working for this company. We had computers, so there was no paperwork to file or keep up with. If a problem ever aroused, we could always call the Team Leader for help and support.
Pros
getting paid great mileage
Cons
Implimented company cars
great place to work if youre in right department.
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 18, 2014
great job all the way around. only sore as spot to this company is the resource manager. everyone and everything else is 100%awesome.
Pros
everything great
Cons
resource manager
I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to work here
RN (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 2, 2014
I currently work here. Morale is extremely low as patient ratios are 7:1 on days and 7/8:1 on nights. It's next to impossible to care for a family and the patient during their final days when we have 35 family members to answer to. The directors have zero communication and are very unprofessional. There was an email sent between a charge and director complaining about employees- both I'd love to see work the floor and see why we ask for help! And that's the response they have and accidentally sent it to all employees.
The patient care is lacking tremendously at this point. Nurses are worked to the bone and are never praised for doing a good job but called out for missing this or forgetting that. We have 7 patients to care for and most are high acuity and we are treating more that hospice centered symptoms.
We are called off about 2 shifts a month with it being bout 4-5 lately since they changed ratio. We work bare boned and it's so wearing. The directors would rather us be worn that help. I love the team I work with but as for having any advocacy for us- the answer is No.
Pros
Good nurses and care partners
Cons
The directors
Great job - difficult but inspiring
Hospice Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Nashville TNJanuary 26, 2014
Administration is top heavy. Benefits not good. Good teams of people dedicated to caring for the dying and their loved ones.
Pros
Support opportunities
Cons
Benefits are lacking
Good place with some hurdles
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 15, 2014
I have worked there for one year and overall it has been a good experience. I have to say-they have increased their patient ratios so that your care is now greatly effected. This has not been a good thing either for patients or the nurses. Also- you get called off quite frequently since the ratios were increased and this means you use your personal time I order to get paid. It is hard to accumulate any vacation time this way.
The facilities are wonderful and the patients and staff are great to work with. The organization is changing policies though. There are a lot of people unhappy with what is happening.
Pros
wonderful facilities, great staff, fair pay, benefits, good training
Cons
lots of call offs for nurses, high patient ratios, high stress
Great place with a wonderful mission
Revenue Cycle Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 26, 2013
Alive is a great place to work however the day to day stress can become overwhelming. I love to work and have always worked very hard at any job. I've learned a lot about hospice, the regulations, the challenges in obtaining proper reimbursement.

My co-workers are difficult because most will not accept any additional responsibilities. I keep to myself but get along with most of my co-workers.

The hardest part about my job is accepting the responsibility that my co-workers will not accept, but I love the challenge.
Pros
Will treat regardless to the ability to pay
Cons
No agency unity
Wonderful Patients, Great Co-Workers, Awful Management
Tech (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 25, 2013
This is the only company that I have been employed by where the management will speak with your co-workers, about you, behind your back. In addition when this unprofessional behavior is brought to the management's attention, they will deny they have said anything; even when multiple co-workers are saying the same things, and using the exact same words. One co-worker, you can ignore; however when multiple employees are telling you the same thing, it's hard to disregard. Please protect yourself from management if you work for this company. Have them put Everything in writing.
Pros
Making a positive difference in the final days of someone's life.
Cons
Unprofessional and Unethical behavior of the unit directors. (Middle Management)
Love it
Receptionist/CSR (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 20, 2013
This was one of the best places i have worked. Everyone is so nice and helpful. Hope to go back.
Pros
NIce people to work for.
Cons
Hope i can o back to work for them.
Outstanding Community Asset - With Poor Middle Management
Registered Nurse - ELNEC Certified (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 24, 2013
A typical day includes significant education of patients and their family members, as well as tapping into a very wide knowledge base of end of life symptoms and their associated effective treatments. The most difficult part of this job was trying to operate within the ever-changing perimeters and constraints controlled by middle management. The daily environment of tension and aggression has resulted in a sinking morale and a high turnover of direct care staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was the privilege given by AH patients to be included in their lives at such an intimate time. I will always be grateful for that privilege.
Pros
Great access to continuing education
Cons
Organizational failures of management
Upper & Middle Management non-supportive; very nurse-centered
Worker bee (Current Employee) –  Nashville TNMarch 15, 2013
Poor morale, due to hypocricy of upper & middle mgmt. Nurse-centered culture; other members of interdisciplinary teams (even doctors!) feel devalued. Bad insurance, benefits. Good people leaving. No advancement unless you're a nurse. Clinical nurses, SW, aides, chaplains, doctors are hard-working and loving, but lots of frustration in the trenches.
Pros
patients, families
Cons
management - upper/middle create stress & distrust
Poor pay, poor management, poor benefit with very long days
nurse (Former Employee) –  NashvilleMarch 6, 2013
Management is top heavy while the actual hands-on employees are low paid, high stressed. Low morale. Good learning experience of where I don't want to work. Non profit organization that puts more money into their management than their patients and working staff. Sad, very sad
Pros
good learning experience
Cons
low pay, high stress, poor management