Allan Myers Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good people, fast paced
Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  West Point, VAJuly 13, 2018
Allan Myers is an incredible place to work as someone who has been in the industry and enjoys that type of work. They're forever growing, and provide a ton of growing. They will however, work you to death.
Pros
People, enviornment
Cons
hours
I really like working at Allan Myers, but the truck I drive is very uncomfortable for me, and it takes a toll on my everyday.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 25, 2018
I love working at Allan Myers, but the truck I drive is very big and I move the seat up as far as it will go and I still can't reach the clutch without leaning forward. This takes a toll on my feet, back and legs and everyday I go home, I am sore. I love this job, and if I can get a new truck I will retire at Allan Myers, I like the crew I work with, management is good to me, I just need a new truck, that would make my job so much easier, and I will stay for the long haul.
Pros
good pay
Cons
My truck sucks
Very Challenging Company
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 22, 2018
You will work a lot of hours. Constant back stabbing from employees to advance themselves. No family life. Very fast paced. Too many chiefs not enoug Indians
Pros
Pay
Cons
No life
Ok place to work
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Worcester, PAFebruary 20, 2018
They have a great family orientated workplace, but lack of knowledgement of skills is the main reason people leave. Work is being supressed to other states.
Cons
Rising healthcare
Wasn't a bad place to work
Fuel Tank Driver Delivery (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PAFebruary 4, 2018
Wasn't a bad place to work.. Had up to date equipment to work with also would make sure that safety was a big part of there training program... Always wanted to get there employee back home safe at the end of a workday...
Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaFebruary 2, 2018
Anyone can build career at Myers. Great opportunity to advance your skill and learn new ones. They pay well and the benefit is great. I enjoy working way myers.
Productive Place
Driver (Former Employee) –  Rockville, VAJanuary 27, 2018
Great place to work if you need money and want to get paid every week.. Its better if you don't have any kids. Takes up your whole life sometimes it depends on how you manage. I loved it and would go back.. You have to try it for yourself. You get a 3 month winter break to relaxe.
managment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Elk Mills, MDJanuary 22, 2018
thinks we have to work 14 hours a day 60 hours a week...suppose to be a family oriented company but work always comes first...favoritism is out of this world there
You are just a number to them
Welder (Former Employee) –  Worcester, PAJanuary 14, 2018
This company doesn’t care about the employees that actually make the company money. It’s all about the people in the office. When they get slow your only a number to them and they will drop like nothing, it doesn’t matter how many years you worked for them. Too many people in management that never experienced out in the field and have no clue what it takes to get a job done
Fun, laid back work place
Dump Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Rockville, VAJanuary 7, 2018
At Allan Myers you work with a bunch of cool laid back people. There’s really nobody to look over your should to make sure you’re doing what you’re suppose to. I would recommend people to work there.
Unpredictable
Dump Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Elkton, MDJanuary 3, 2018
The work and hours aren't the problem. It's poor planning, scheduling and poor leadership. And seniority is used for favoritism instead of production.
Pros
Good equipment
Cons
Lie about no layoffs, favoritism, poor communication from supervisors, treated like a number, poor planning, not the family atmosphere that they claim unless you've been there 4 years!
Hard work but always around good people.
Concrete Laborer (Former Employee) –  Worcester, PADecember 27, 2017
When I worked the motto was "Home Safe Tonight"....... that only applied to when the job was ON schedule. The work was hard and the hours were long but at least you had good people that were around to help.
Not a fair place
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fallston, MDDecember 3, 2017
No job security too much favortism and they are quick to get the job done and layoff and fire people
Not a good place to work be beter off working for smalller companies
Pros
Too much favoritism and lies.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VASeptember 19, 2017
Certain people get away with whatever they want, even drinking and doing drugs on the job. They preach safety but we'll put you in unsafe positions or unhealthy situations daily knowing that it is harmful to your health even when they're told by safety team not to put anyone there. Work you 80 hours a week taking you from your family and still demand more, then as soon as the job is done they "lay off" tell you to hang out for a few weeks and wait to come back with zero intention.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, favoritism, unsafe situations, bad management, and unfair advancement.
Professional
Assistant Field Engineering (Former Employee) –  Middletown, DESeptember 18, 2017
I did my Co-op with Allan Myers for six months. I had the best experience working as Engineering Assistant with everyone at the 301 Project Middletown Delaware. Everyone was very friendly and they treated me very professionally.
Overall
Skilled Laborer (Bridge) (Former Employee) –  Worcester, PA 19490August 14, 2017
The Compensation/Benefits & Job Security even with the lay-offs in the winter is good. The culture is iffy, job work is long days... life balance not.
Dump truck driver
Dump Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Elk Mills, MDAugust 9, 2017
The company has a great core value system in place. Very safe company to work for is very compassionate about employee health. In most of the quarries only night shift available for driving. It's a great company but a lot of inconsistencies and misinformation. Very high expectations of employees very demanding. Very hard to balance personal and work life with the unpredictable night shift schedule.
Pros
Overtime available
Cons
No set schedule, a lot of confusion about jobs you are required to do, not a lot of common strategies when it comes to training
Production focused, employees are just a number
Operator (Current Employee) –  Fallston, MDAugust 8, 2017
Unrealistic expectations, lengthly commutes, and very little work life balance. Management has their benefits payed for, and insurance costs more for employees on scale jobs. There is also very little room for merit based advancement; unprofessionally political.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Previously listed
out of towners
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAAugust 4, 2017
they didn't understand the material they were working with at the coast which cost them a lot of wasted time and money. they were not willing to listen to local experience.
Official response from Allan Myers
August 8, 2017

We are sorry this was your experience. As we move into new areas, we will continue to learn from project challenges and grow as a company.

Laborer/Operator/QC tech (Current Employee) –  Worcester, PAAugust 2, 2017
job is good get many hours if you want lay blacktop mill up blacktop test blacktop long days no sit down lunch breaks get told you have to work another day or nights last minute