Allegheny County Health Department Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Good entry level job, Not good for a career
Environmental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Clack Health CenterMay 17, 2018
Although they have recently achieved a status of being an accredited institution, many of the office buildings are in such disrepair that it is borderline unsafe to be inside them. Wages have been stagnant for years, which causes high turn over rates, and therefore poorly trained staff. People cannot afford to work here if they have student loans to pay or a family to feed. They are more concerned with having meetings and coming up with "Quality Improvement Plans" than actually helping to improve public health. There are too many administrators and not enough field staff to do the actual work needed to keep consumers and the general public safe. The only reason to work here is for paid time off (which you will need for mental health hygiene) and relatively cheap health benefits. The pension is also good, if you can stand to stay there long enough.
Pros
Paid time off, benefits
Cons
Low pay, low staff morale, high turn over
typical government workplace
Environmental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 2, 2017
great platform to interact with stakeholders and outreach to the community from the perspective of a regulator; slow-paced working culture; lack of advancement opportunity
Pros
work/life balance; benefit
Cons
job advancement; payment
Poor pay
Public Drinking Water Inspector / Sanitarian (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 1, 2017
Extremely poor pay even after all of these years I looked at the entry level starting salary for an Environmental Health Specialist and it was not even $15/hr. And they want you to have a BS.
Pros
Health Care
Cons
Everything else
Great Place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 22, 2017
I worked as an intern, which allowed me to witness many operations of the Health Department.

Resources can be slim sometimes, but a great place to be if you are not afraid of hard work and committed to helping others.
Pros
Great learning opportunities.
Cons
Slim resources.
Great to work with
Clerical Intern (Current Employee) –  Cumberland, MDApril 23, 2017
Everyone is very helpful and great to work with. I enjoyed the learning experience. The job is not difficult and I like how the tasks change daily. A lot of clerical duties involved and use of Microsoft Office is required.
Cons
Short breaks
Professional Public Health Administration and Research Facility
Intern (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 10, 2017
The Working environment is comfortable and focused with nice co-workers who are concentrated and passionate about their jobs. My job requires me to be organized and detail oriented, with respect to health providers, patients, and their corporations.
Good job security/advancement
Fiscal Officer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 20, 2015
Offers good job security/advancement and the work environment is good. There is also a great job work/life balance. The compensation is viable to the duties the job performs and the benefits are awesome.
Typical government sector job!
Applications Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 23, 2014
A typical government sector workday
Co-workers are friendly and helpful.
Pros
Chance to take the lead and create new opportunities
Cons
Laid back environment
good
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Cumberland, MDJanuary 28, 2013
Well organized and fun people. Great leadership. A lot of talented and hard working people.
I did alot of work working with at risk youths
Minority Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 13, 2012
It was very rewarding to help young people so they could improve there lives
Productive Workplace
Clerk Typist II (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 30, 2012
It was my job to register patients before they were seen by the physicians.I performed a plethora of adminstative duties including but not limited to, filing document, making and recieving phone calls, preparing reports, and preparing medical charts for new and exisiting patients. I worked in Accounts Recivabl,e as well as performing secreterial duties as necessary.
Nice work environment
Public Health Internship (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 25, 2012
There are alot of down-to-earth employees there which has made it easy for me to adjust from college classes to an actual work environment.
First job held after college
Public Health Nutritionist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 8, 2012
Not employee centered, poor management practices, management is insincere.
Pros
locations, office space
Cons
compensation, culture
I was able to help bring HIV info to the masses ,"Pre-Magic Johnson"
Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 11, 2012
Working for the H.D. was a very interesting,yet trying, experience. Interesting, because of the different calibers of people I encountered,trying, because of the level of stubborn ignorance I kept coming in contact with; ie: HIV is just a GAY disease,etc. Looking back , I understood(but didn't accept) the ideology of the time, these were the days when the disease was still considered a GAY,WHITE problem, before the devastation that eventually came to the black community. I learned how to relate to and receive from a client, especially on the street, when time is of the essence for giving and getting information .
Pros
i was able to work at my own rate of speed, therefore bringing the best results .
Cons
the resistance i was always up against, due to the level of ignorance