Allegheny County Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
LOSS CONTROL INSPECTOR (Current Employee) –  Orangeburg, SCApril 26, 2018
Great job to make extra money in conjunction with primary income. I would recommend this job to anyone that like the residential/commercial inspection industry.
Could be a much better ran company
Community Monitor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 7, 2018
During my stint with Probation, I noticed a lot of favoritism happening, as well as unfair treatment to staff. Upper management treated staff like kids and did not include them on their decisions. Even though staff works directly with our youth, management still made questionable decisions. To be honest I do not think their goal is to help the kids we service in the long run. Kind of sad.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Nepotism, lack of respect for staff.
Fun
Enumerator (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 7, 2018
I would go dooor to door asking if it was ok for me to count the people in the household. I learned that some people can be very hard to work with. The management was fair. Meeting the different people and different cultures helped me with people and how different thier cultures can be. The hardest part of the job was walking to every house askjing to know how many people lived in there. The most enjoyable is getting the job done.
Pros
working in the summer time
Cons
short breaks
Allegheny County
Assistant District Attorney (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 30, 2018
The people are great to work with in this fast-paced, collaborative environment. Unfortunately the salary is not competitive for the talent pool that surrounds this job.
Pros
People, job
Cons
Salary
Fast learning enviorment
Director of Behavioral Health Services (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 8, 2017
Allegheny county is a fast past environment with many unknowns due to working in mental health. Typical day was providing clinical supervision to clinicians. Speaking with family and outside providers and putting out fires as they often occurred . My managers were knowledge poised which is what I picked up from them. The hardest part of the job is seeing the hurt of being in jail has caused many families. Most enjoyable part was having your work validated by the client sometime not until much later
Pros
Diversity of clinical issues
Cons
Seeing people reenter the system time again
Leadership comes into question
Probation Officer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 30, 2017
depending where you were working, management focused on any slight mistakes and hardly praise workers when they go above and beyond within the job. sometimes a stressful work environment
Low pay, hard work, job security and good benefits
Aging Care Manager I (Former Employee) –  Multiple officesNovember 1, 2017
To administerate a community based Nursing Facility alternative program was stressful and overwhelming.

My manager and direct supervisor was excellent as was my senior care manager mentor.
Pros
Good benefits, job security
Cons
Very stressful, too much time doing documemtation...
Fiscal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 26, 2017
Highly recommended with amazing benefits. Working with the Allegheny you have flexible work hours and can still maintain a social life. Perfect for all ages.
Pros
Hour lunches, flexible work schedule
The Woodland Hills School District gave me my first directorship which allowed me to be considered for higher paying positions in the non-profit arena
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills School DistrictSeptember 27, 2017
The Superintendent was very supportive of my action which led me to be a contributor to a research study and journal article in Partnership with the University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing. Unfortunately, the funding for the program ended in 2011
Pros
Supportive environment
Cons
Grant funded position
Amazing benefits
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 25, 2017
Stressful place to work but great money and unlimited overtime. The benefits are nice but the dental is lacking. If you like bossing people around this is the job for you.
Great company.
Low Voltage Technician (Current Employee) –  Eagle Lake, FLSeptember 19, 2017
It's an overall great company. Great hours the pay is good an the employees are good workers. You get good overtime or as much as you want. Pay is weekly so that's a bonus too.
Not bad
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 20, 2017
If you like making lots of money and having no life then law enforcement is for you. It's a very friend oriented place meaning if you don't know someone then forget about advancement
It was ok
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 20, 2016
Couldn't get full time in many years. The administration is always in turmoil.
Once you are there for many years the hours get better
good experience for an internship.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 17, 2016
During the time i interned at Allegheny County i was able to learn more about different forms of programming such as gaining experience with xamarin for making cell phone applications.
Pros
1 hour break.
Cons
not paid and $12 dollar a day parking.
good benefits and compensation
Custodial Worker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 20, 2016
This job is a pretty good job but no different opportunities to move up and the management here is horrible. I have been here for almost 3 years and haven't had an issue until they changed shifts from 12-8pm to 3pm-11pm. They don't care about their employees.
Pros
benefits, compensation
Cons
bad management and union
Fast paced job.
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, PAApril 16, 2016
Love working with the animals on the farm. Enjoy working with the public. They do not offer us benefits cause of our job status. We are considered Seasonal workers...but work 40 hour/week.
Pros
Being aroudf farm animals
Cons
some untrustworthy workers
the more you do; the more they want with no appreciation
Caseworker 2 (Former Employee) –  point breeze intakeMarch 2, 2016
The job is tedious with lots of personal suffering for the children and families you are working with. Extensive Court work as you become more proficient. Huge turnover rate.
Pros
travel reimbursed
Cons
extensive court work
Truly enjoyed working for the County.
Senior Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 18, 2015
The people were the biggest asset. The workload was fair and manageable. There were many benefits to working downtown and I took the bus for an easy commute.
Very stressful environment. Good place to work if you like helping people.
Quality Assurance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 12, 2015
I enjoyed the position because it was exciting and I like helping th public. There was never a dull moment and it's a great honor and pleasure working with police, fire and medic field units. The hardest part of the job was when one of the field units were injured or killed on duty.
Human resources and payroll analyst
Human Resources/Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  PITTSBURGH, PAAugust 23, 2015
Employee accident reports, fmla tracking, worker's compensation claims, approve timecards for union and non union employees, approve overtime, attend discipline hearings, type discipline actions and send to unions, enter grievances, attend meetings, schedule meetings in outlook, type letters in word, daily edit of time punches and dump unapproved overtime, nurses payroll and approve benefit time.
Pros
Free parking, Free lunches
Cons
No advancement