Allen Construction

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

Allen Construction Employee Reviews

good job
build bins (Former Employee) –  Florence, ALFebruary 13, 2019
learned a new trade working for this company. enjoyed the work environment gain a lot of new things. I had to leave due to all the traveling other than that loved the job.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no insurance
Terrific Builder and Employer
Project manager (Current Employee) –  Santa BarbaraJanuary 24, 2019
Dennis Allen started his construction company with enthusiasm and integrity and those qualities continue to define the workplace today. People here care take pride in their work and strive for excellence in their deliverables. Management has made efforts to be more transparent in financial forecasting and revenue goals and get input from the team on those targets. My supervisors do not micromanage, but check in regularly to ensure I'm working on the highest and best tasks and provide support when needed. I've seen promotions follow hard work and a flexibility to move laterally into other areas of the company if one feels strongly and an opportunity presents itself.

It's a large company for a residential contractor, and there is pressure to perform, but I'd absolutely recommend someone apply to work here if they're interested. The team filled with good-natured, hard working, and honest people focused on building quality projects.
Pros
Company culture, great office, free coffee
Cons
Parking
Allen Construction-a company with 35 years of longevity and a stellar reputation
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 21, 2019
I have been working with Allen Construction for over 9 years. I love the people who work here and that matters to me. They are my extended family. Our company values mirror my own so that my employment is purposeful and honors authentic living. There are opportunities for growth here and I feel appreciated and respected by management and my coworkers. I have an employee owner mentality which fits with Allen Construction’s culture. Being an employee owner means that this is our company and the actions I take can make a positive difference in my future and our company.
Reflections of a long-term employee
Business Development (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 15, 2019
The best thing about Allen Construction is the people who work here. They are talented, dedicated, positive, friendly, and hard working. Having been with the company for 14 years, this has always been the case. The company strives to be the best contractor in the region. We have fabulous clients for whom we build beautiful homes. Over the last two years, I have seen improved systems, better communication, and a stronger team than ever before. All this makes me want to come to work every day and do the best I can. If you want to work in the building industry, this is the place to be.

We have had challenges moving into new regions (SLO and LA). I guess that is why they call it “growing pains.” But we now have the right people and the necessary support in place to make these offices successful. The potential is huge.
Great place to work with a family feel
Director (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 4, 2019
Great people work here! The company was established over 35 years ago and still has the feeling of a family-owned business. As an employee owned company, the employees are empowered and take great pride in what they do.

Management is very open and information is shared with employees at every level. Ideas and suggestions are encouraged and they aren't afraid to try new things.

Sustainable building and living is in the company DNA and the people here truly embrace that and strive to "walk the talk" in their work and in their personal lives.

This is a great place to work with a solid foundation and a positive future.
Relaxed but fast paced work day
Laborer (Former Employee) –  South DakotaAugust 21, 2018
This job was fast paced and relaxed at same time. the people and atmosphere made an enjoyable day at work no matter how long the day was. I would recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
meals paid, room pain
Cons
drug addicts
Good Company to work for, however the LA Division may fold soon.
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 19, 2018
I was first attracted to this Company based on it's portfolio of completed Projects, the Company's commitment to building "green" whenever possible, the levels of finishes for Trades that put them in the category of skilled Artisans. The more I learned of the Company and it's culture, the more I wanted to be a part of the Allen Family. They had a new Division in Los Angeles which I was hired on as PE. There were promises of an ever expanding bank of new Projects that the Sales Team was aggressively persuing that never quite materialized. I had the opportunity to complete 1 rehab and a "take-over" of a ground up Project through completion, before a work slowdown forced a downsizing of the Los Angeles Division.
Overall, Allen was a good Company to work for and given the chance to return to work, I would have to consider a backlog of projects prior to accepting any offer of new employment.
Pros
Great Company culture
Cons
In need of a stronger sales Team in Los Angeles
It was a great place to work I just moved away the people I work with I like a lot.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 19, 2018
It was a great place to work I like the people I work with we got plenty of hours, I just moved away to a different town so I had to leave the company.
Pros
Yearly raise
Cons
More hours
Great culture and people.
Strategic Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAMarch 6, 2018
A great company with a superior philosophy to most construction companies. They have a great reputation and strive to keep it that way. The employees are happy for the most part and it is a great group to work with.
Great company
Carpenter/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Rayville, LAJanuary 4, 2018
I have worked off and on for Allen over the years. I got the job through my uncle Earnest because he to do work for them as well. They are good people.
Big contractor with a reputable client base
Project Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 2, 2018
project managers had little experience in the field and with office functions of a general contractor. the projects were ran in a very unorganized manner, indicating the inexperience.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
enjoyed work experience
Self Employed Contractor (Current Employee) –  Pen Argyl, PADecember 12, 2017
enjoy self employment, seasonal, looking for stability. would like to avoid seasonal nature. am ready to investigate more structured environment with established company.
Hrs are flexible
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Utica, NYDecember 11, 2017
Not a big crew easy going but must hustle at any given time u can work long hrs or have no hrs at times u won't work for 3 or 4 days without word times may very
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not for me
Exciting
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hebron, OHNovember 11, 2017
Working at Allen Construction is the best job that I ever had. I enjoyed going into work everyday. Because it is a small company I felt really at home. The owner is like a brother to me.
Painter
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Cave City, KYOctober 19, 2017
I Love to paint do drywall all the construction work. I did it for 10 years and I wouldn't trade it for nothing I like when my customers are happy when I get done
Pros
No we had to pay
Cons
Breaks at ur own time
Awesome man to work for
Master Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GAOctober 11, 2017
It’s an awesome place to work just work got slow and housing market collapsed. It’s was great place to work it pays cash and you file your own taxes at the end of the year great man to work for
good boss
Apartment Renovations (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, ALJuly 18, 2017
good place to work, boss pays well, long hours and fairly easy work. apartment maintenance work replacing basically everything in the units and repairing walls and paint etc
Pros
great pay
Cons
Hard work, mostly no days off
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  West Plains, MOJune 4, 2017
Good pay, but no respect for employees. Could be a better company with better treatment towards employees and definite payment after a job. Would be a good company work for if you're willing to work with aggression.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No respect for employees
Construction
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALMarch 8, 2017
It was a great place to learn tricks of the trade and to gain experience. Small business with limited work. It was a great temporary job to use as a stepping stone to get out into the work force.
Good work environment
Roofer/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lac du Flambeau, WIAugust 5, 2016
I enjoyed working on the roofs for Allen Construction. Offered on the job training. Good management and good teamwork.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Allen Construction. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3