Allen County Public Library Employee Reviews

Hostile environment and low pay for the work you put in
Associate (Former Employee) –  Main LibraryJuly 5, 2018
Horrible management and unfriendly work place aside from 2-3 coworkers. No opportunity for advancement, which is mostly HR’s lack of care in their jobs. And it’s obvious to all workers. Pay is OK but not enough to live comfortably unless you are a manager or higher up.
Pros
Some paid time off. Some holiday pay.
Cons
Everything else. Hostile environment.
Team building environment with a good organizational system.
Summer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 2, 2018
I learned how to properly shelve books under the Dewey Decimal System. I also learned good interpersonal skills and the inner workings of a library. I discovered that there is a lot more work to being a librarian then I thought.
Pros
Discount at Dunkin Doughnuts
Cons
Lack of benefits depending on your position
Peaceful Place of Work
IT Computer Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 19, 2018
This is a very good place to work, and if I could I would stay. The people are great, and so are the benefits. The stress is minimal compared to other places, and even when there is a time crunch, it still feels reasonable, and not strenuous.
Warm and inviting place to work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 31, 2018
I was always greeted with a smile when I showed up when I volunteered there. I learned how to keep things clean and in order. The management was delightful and orderly, and didn't make me feel inferior for whatever reason. The workplace culture was friendly, neat, and relaxed. I did not experience any hard parts of the job, as my task didn't really involve other people. The most enjoyable part was the benefits of volunteering at the library's second hand book store.
My job was very simple.
Material Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 15, 2018
I liked the job, but the nature of my position put me in the line of fire of people thinking I was librarian, which I was not, nor was I paid as much as a librarian. It was frustrating when you were trying to assist a patron when the librarians didn't want to leave their own desks to help a patron even though that was their job.
Pros
Relaxing position and good people to work with in my department
Cons
Some of the laziest librarians I have ever met, and expected me and my co-workers to tend to the partron's needs. However, that was their job and they were in a higher pay grade, but were just plain lazy.
Summer Assistant is pretty good for a first job!
Summer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 11, 2017
I was hired as a summer assistant in 2017. I did not get benefits, but that is to be expected. Also, being a seasonal position, I couldn't advance. But that is all to be expected, so it is really quite good for a first job. It pays really well too.
Pros
Great management and work area
Loved the branch I worked at
Summer Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh BranchJuly 11, 2017
I loved working at a branch. It was easier to adjust to from college. I was able to engage not just with the staff , but also with the patrons. The staff I worked with were phenomenal, whenever I need help they always answered. The hardest part about the job was dealing with kids some just didn't know how to listen, when they did it was great, but most of the time they didn't
Pros
flexibility, lunch breaks
Cons
kids
Great co-workers. Good cultural experience.
Children's Librarian (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 28, 2017
I love ACPL, my only complaint is the extreme disparity in pay between senior managers and everyone else. The top 6 or so managers make between $90,000 - $165,000 while middle management is lucky to make $30,000. Librarian's with master's degrees start at only $37,000 per year. Not even enough to make student loan payments. I understand it's public service, but the disparity should not be so vast.
Pros
intelligent, clean community
Cons
pay
Great, interesting job in ever changing environment.
Branch Assistant-Little Turtle Branch (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 24, 2017
Fulfilling job helping people with reading material, programs, computers and other electronic devices. Great to get to know regular patrons. Great place to work, open-minded, very accommodating to staff needs. Constant changes in technology. You meet people from all walks of life.
Pros
Schedule accommodations are granted if possible
Cons
People can be rude to public employees
Poor Management and Hostile environment
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 13, 2016
Worked in maintenance department at ACPL for nearly a year. Our department and management got along horribly. My manager kept telling me things were going to get better, I just had to "hang in there". Meanwhile, there was not really much to do in the maintenance department except change light bulbs and watch equipment run, since most trades are contracted to outside vendors. But what we were required to do was fabricate and exaggerate our hours in the work order management software. My manager said, "What do you think would happen if they (upper management) would find out that we didn't have anything to do?" Suggesting that we would be out of a job if we didn't comply. I took this situation up with upper management, but got nowhere so I eventually quit. They have not since replaced me that I am aware of, I think the current opening (Nov 2016) is to replace a retiring technician.

If you want to use your skills in maintenance: plumbing, electrical, HVAC, mechanical, the Allen County Public Library is not the place to work. Coworkers are defiant towards management and it was a hostile work place from the day I walked in the door. The old timers will treat you with disrespect because of their view that you are part of new management.
Pros
You get a Van in this position
Cons
Poor management and hostile work environment

Want to know more about Allen County Public Library?

Ask a question
Horrible HR and Waynedale branch manager
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 4, 2016
Horrible management and ethics. These people will not hire someone who has a library degree or even give them a chance to get experience. The Waynedale branch manager was horrible and like a Hitler and will have you blacklisted from the library. I believe he has just retired now. I do not have a single positive thing to say about this place. You can volunteer your time for free and work your butt off in a menial position and they will push you down and stomp on you.
Alright to work at.
Shelver and Digitizer (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 18, 2016
Most enjoyable part of the job is helping the patrons, but it is hard to move up in the company. Co-workers were kind and I enjoyed working with them, except my immediate supervisor.
I enjoyed it.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 3, 2016
Overall, I enjoyed my time at the Library. For a bona fide book lover, this is the place to be. This is a government position. The hourly pay is very low. The other benefits are awesome. This place has it's usual office politics and bickering between some departments and staff, just like anywhere else. For my department, communication from our manager to us was very poor. Any incidents that would affect our department, the emails that were given to us always had the threat of immediate disciplinary action up to and including termination was always present. A lot of times, we were treated as children instead of adults. Too many chiefs, not enough workers. We were always short on staff.
Pros
The books and co workers
Cons
Lack of communication from immediate manager.
The library
Librarian (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 12, 2015
I like working for the library. The library is full of good workers and everyone works hard. It seems that most people enjoy their job.
Best coworkers for a short period
Team Read (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJuly 4, 2015
While only for the summer, I've had the time of my life reading to children and making friends. I love all of it but if I had to have the hardest part it would be not having longer hours.
Pros
Discounts, reading books in downtime
Cons
Short week hours
Nice place to work
PT Branch Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 26, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with patrons and being a support for what they were interested in. The hardest part of this job is feeling as if you're doing something wrong majority of the time. But overall, working for the library would be a stable career move if they offered benefits to part-time employees or made more positions full-time. I wish they did offer benefits because I'd immediately return. What I learned is that, even though places have benefits, it doesn't mean the grass is greener on the other side because I can tell you from experience, that it is not.
Pros
recognition, coworkers become like family, weekend jean days if donate a few dollars to charity fund and patron interaction
Cons
coworkers who tattle for possibility of advancement
My favorite job!
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 30, 2014
I worked here for 6 years alternating between part time and full time and would've made a life long career out of it if I had a degree. The management was excellent and almost every other employee was friendly and helpful. I left because I needed full time work all the time and without a degree, there was no room for advancement. To be an actual librarian, you have to have a masters degree and so far I haven't been able to fit that into my life. Otherwise, this is a great place to work.
Pros
Atmosphere, management
Cons
Low pay, minimal hours
Librarian and Troubleshooter (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 11, 2014
I was a Librarian and Troubleshooter for ACPL. I maintained the branch's collection, ensured that damaged, lost or stolen items were accounted for, and I assisted patrons with information queries.
fun job/ bad situation
Bookmobile driver/ Children's Programmer (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYMarch 22, 2013
hopefully management has changed since then. I know it has the director that was there that did not like children is no longer there.
Pros
loved what i did
Cons
worked for little pay