Alliant Energy Employee Reviews

very stressful environment with lots of changes
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IASeptember 19, 2018
There really wasn't a typical day with all the changes that took place. The work environment was stressful because the company was implementing many changes to keep up with the time, all at once.
Excellent workplace & training
Customer Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WISeptember 4, 2018
Alliant Energy provided excellent training, room for advancement, health & retirement benefits. They provided structured hourly coaching & were always available to answer questions or concerns. Loved working outside & having my own schedule to perform my daily work.
Pros
Wages, benefits, room for advancement, great training
Friendly and Supportive Culture
Natural Gas Distribution Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 25, 2018
Everyone working at Alliant is more than willing to help you in anyway necessary. Management is willing to pay for training and seminars to further your development. Flexible work schedule and ability to work remotely is good for any schedule. Very positive environment and helpful environment.
Pros
People, resource groups, management.
Cons
Some work can get repetitive.
Okay place to work
EHS Training Coordinator - Generation (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 16, 2018
The Location was at the corporate office, very nice work areas.

Management in the Generation division were old school. It is a union sites at the plants, and difficult to work through issues.
Pros
nice location
Cons
Interesting industry to work in
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 27, 2018
I enjoyed the work and found it interesting however work life balance was poor. I worked in the accounting department which had frequent turn over so spent a lot of time onboarding new people.
Great place to work if you're white
Not Saying (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 20, 2018
Glass ceilings all over this place. If you are a minority, forget promotions, unless you are accepted in their beer drinking / off duty cliques. Not a family atmosphere at work.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Glass ceilings; no training.
Many great years at Alliant Energy!
IT Analyst/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAJune 10, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Alliant Energy. I learned a great deal of SQL code tricks and many testing and Business etiquette rules. My peers were always fun to be around and very helpful! This was a very good stepping stone in my career and I enjoyed the time I spent at Alliant Energy.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Parking
Nice place until current management took over
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 8, 2018
Unfortunately became a typical call center environment with cattiness, back-stabbing and overall drama between employees and even management. Lost focus on customer service in favor of getting back all the money they've lost over the years by not being more aggressive with people who don't pay. This became a detriment to good-paying customers who fell on hard times. Emotionally draining position to be in because you're having to hear people's stories of why they can't afford to pay while coming up with a solution limited to the inflexibility of the system. If you are the type of person who can show up every day, do the job and not get involved AT ALL with management, question authority or the decisions upper management makes, or your coworkers then this is a place where you'll thrive.
Company oriented
Administrative Assistant to the Regional Director (Former Employee) –  Mason City, IAMarch 25, 2018
Very company oriented. Employees are just employees. Days didn't go by very quickly unless you could find things to do which is probably why they re-organized and eliminated positions.
Pros
Great boss and loved my job duties
Cons
Not a family friendly company
Accounting Contractor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 24, 2018
Prepared Federal and State Regulatory reporting for the Utility Accounting department. Analyzed previous working files to prepare current period reporting. Created well documented audit trails to ensure accuracy and completeness.
Great boss, Friendly co-workers
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 15, 2018
I was there on a contract. The work was interesting and the work-life balance was good. My manager was a great guy. If it would have turned into a full-time potion I would have certainly stayed.
Very Challenging, high paced work environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 22, 2018
The typical day starts with logging into the phone system and answering questions from customers ranging from billing inquiries, and address changes to angry compliments about service.
I learned quickly that I didn't know everything and that I needed to use the resources provided such as the help desk and online resources. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customer fraud: customer attempting to activate service with children or deceased persons names. However, helping customers understand their bills and working on budget plans that helped families really balanced out more difficult calls.
Pros
online resources and help desk for questions
Cons
not enough customer service reps
Challenging but rewarding internship
Thermal Performance Intern (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 24, 2017
I was a Thermal Performance Engineering intern for one summer. Lots of long days spent in hot power plants testing air heater leakage. Hard work, I learned a lot, and the boss kept us busy.
Pros
Great engineering work experience
Cons
Going to get dirty
People I worked with were great. Peak hours were very hectic, off peak drug on
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Centerville, IADecember 18, 2017
Overall a good place to work. Was not on a warning and when some personal issues came up they weren't willing to accommodate and I was terminated. Co workers cared about you, great pay for the cost of living
Pros
Pay, benefits, vacation
Cons
Management. Changing of schedules quarterly
Forward Looking
Accepted the position of Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ames, IADecember 7, 2017
Looking to change with the changing energy landscape. In a major rebuilding mode as well as keeping up with the renewable arena. The people are great!
Pros
Good benifits
Ok place to work.
Customer Support Associate (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IADecember 1, 2017
Salary was good pay for Customer Service work. Parking downtown is awful. Walked 5 blocks to get to work. Health benefits average. Poor direct management...no one on one interaction.
Cons
Parking, changing hours due to shift bids.
Cut throat these days!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IANovember 13, 2017
They want you to speak your mind, but truly you can't. If you do then you will be watched until they can get ride of you. Used to be a wonderful place and I was proud to work there.
Poor Management makes for Unstable enviroment
Senior Field Engineering Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ames, IANovember 5, 2017
Evaluate present practices and implement processes, concepts, training and tools to prevent, detect and correct human errors that may adversely impact the safe, reliable operation of the electric transmission and distribution system.
Pros
Challenging and interesting work.
Cons
Work Culture
Not a place that I can write a review about
An Analyst (Current Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 2, 2017
Not possible to write a review. Doing so will only get someone or yourself in trouble. Do you really think it's possible to be honest about a company you currently work for? Anonymous doesn't cut it.
excellent place to work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAOctober 29, 2017
love it would recommend it to everyone. The people, supervisors and benefits are so great. It is a fun and exciting place to work that offers so many different shifts to work and possible advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alliant Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about