Allied Universal Security Services, Systems and Solutions

Allied Universal Security Services, Systems and Solutions Employee Reviews

Found 13,324 reviews matching the search See all 13,387 reviews
Good work environment but no room for advancement.
Security Guard (Shift Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  West Columbia, SCJanuary 21, 2019
I enjoy the work hours and the job culture. It's fun meeting new people every day. I would not reccomend this job as a long term option because there is not much room for advancement or pay raises.
Pros
Good management, good work environment, hours
Cons
No breaks, no raises, no promotions depending on your location
Good Place to work
SECURITY ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, CODecember 14, 2018
I started out as a security offocer and was promoted within about 90 days to an account manager. I enjoyed the education, training, and mentorship provided by the Area Manager. I worked on average of 50 hrs per week, ensured contract compliance and ran the contract. I had autonomy to hire staff, run the program, and provide for the staff. The workplace culture was great! The hardest part of the job was advancement past account manager and losing our area manager. Motivation can be stifled in an area when you are micromanaged. The most enjoyable part of the job was my team and the customers that we serviced. The customers took care of my staff!
Pros
Pay and benefits, education, promotions, moving around company, overtime
Cons
management, weather (working outside at times), and senior-level promotions
Terrible company, terrible management
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Delphi, INNovember 23, 2018
I wouldn't recommend Allied Universal to my worst enemy. The management are incompetent and there is a culture of favoritism and nepotism to the extreme. The employees are treated very unfairly, the schedule is inconsistent and prone to change a moments notice, they offer terrible benefits (no paid days off, no vacation, horribly overpriced insurance) and poor compensation with no room for advancement and no raises.

Indiana Packers site, Delphi IN
Pros
Cons
Management, benefits, the schedule, generally everything else.
Too focused on acquisitions
Field Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OK 74135November 5, 2018
Current company culture is too focused on expanding the net worth of the company by buying other companies.

The overhead staff are not compensated for the inordinate amount of time they put into their jobs and they are underpaid, nationally, for the responsibilities of their roles as compared to competing companies in the same industry.

The current CEO has one mission only, to get the company to IPO in both the United States and in Europe, to make the 10 billion dollar worth mark with the company, then sell out and leave the shambles behind.

It is not a good company to work for for any career minded individual and it is even worse on our personnel assets at our contract accounts as they get no raises or other compensation for their work for years at time.
Pros
Ability to feel like you're really working for the team.
Cons
Finding out no one cares you were on the team.
Lot of report riting and long hours with little time between shifts
Security Training Officer (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLJanuary 27, 2019
When I started the post we had enough staff to work everyone evenly and rarely. But due to the way management treated staff we began looking more people then we could hire.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
No breaks. Poor management. Overworked for pay rate. No raises.
Great place to work for a short time
Fire Prevention Officer-EMT (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJanuary 3, 2019
If you need a job and plan to work a short time 6 months of less its great place to get on your feet. Management is lazy at most places or overworked and under trained. Good people leave. There are no raises, what programs they talk about never happen. recognition and awards are just talked about but never happen. Training is joke at best with death by computer programs, very little real training, that happens from motivated people taking charge, not management. They operate by staying in their lanes only. Found most line, middle and upper management to be barely functional in their jobs for day to day.
Pros
it's a job
Cons
poor supervision and management, no raises, little support for people.
unpleasant experience
Lobby Security Officer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 14, 2019
I have worked with this company for 5 years, I have received .25cent raises annually but I have never been offered a proper position to promote, nor are the promotable positions advertised to us (only through regular job hiring sites). The company hires managers from the outside and I (other employees and clients) have, on musltiple occasions been harassed by outside hire supervisors. Incidences are reported but little action is ever taken. Working 12 hour shifts, you are only allotted a 30min "working" lunch break and bathroom/smoking breaks seem more like a hassle for the relieving guard. The work days are very slow and typical but the pay is very good considering the amount of work you do. As a reservist I have had to leave more military obligation and I have to fight for my position back with the company upon my return (they gave away job without telling me, which is illegal!!)
Pros
good pay for little work/more likely to hire military
Cons
poor management
low Paying job and you get over worked
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Camden County, NJFebruary 2, 2019
This company over works you for low payment, you get a raise every year of 3% people are constantly quitting my job they hire anybody and make the officers which have low experience train them I work full time so I expect to work 32 hours and up, which is not the case for some one who is barely even getting paid good this company does not pay you the amount it even says on the web page if anything it pays you less and you don’t even make 40 hours
Pros
Great staff, good food
Cons
Low pay, poor management, over work
Great company
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEFebruary 4, 2019
Very clean safe work environment. Great staff cant complain good flexible schedule. Very small raise of a few cents but at least its a raise. Friendly management.
Pros
Great work sites
Cons
No good raises
better management
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 7, 2018
The company is a great place to advance in the law enforcement field. You have some management that really works with you with life issues. Working with the right team will have you advancing quickly
Pros
career advancement
Cons
some management/salary
Abundance of work, flexible, median wage, provide uniforms and some benefits.
Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLFebruary 5, 2019
This employer would be ranked in top compared with similar employers. If you are looking for a Security Officer job I can recommend A.U.S.S.
There is an abundance of work. The managers are flexible with scheduling and culture. Diversity is not a problem. There are many choices and jobsite selections.
Comparable with other Security Companies with the same industry standards, such as; Gated Communities or vehicle access security.
Benefits are offered, however, it is not a full benefits package.
You can work your way up in the company. Advancement within is common and attainable.
Pros
Free uniforms and never out of work.
Cons
You will need supplemental retirement and pay for your own approved time off.
Was a bad experince witb the company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 7, 2019
Very poor management, supervision was poor as well they mostly slept than supervising. Allowed confict and confusion on the job, no paid vacations only paid for holidays if you work on the actual holiday day. Insurance to expensive to afford,no pay raises. I actually started out as an employee for Guardsmark LLC, was a GREAT!!!! company they were bought out by Universal Protection Services who merged with Allied Barton, then became Allied Universal.
Opportunities for advancement but lacking in some areas
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Lincolnshire, ILJanuary 9, 2019
When I was brought into AUS, I started small and worked my way up to management. I got a lot of pay raises and advanced quickly. However, problems arose when my site downsized. I needed a quick transfer and the relay of information was very slow and my pay got massively cut.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Poor communication
Another bottom feeder company.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  South Central OKDecember 25, 2018
The client I worked for was pretty decent. I'm betting they have no clue as to the shenanigans being perpetrated on the guards by the security company's mismanagement staff.

Watch out for those "hiring" bonuses. They imply you get it all at once, but you don't. It is broken up over four months. It would have been better (for me at least), to get it all in one chunk at the fourth month, instead of in nibbles, that are hard to hang onto in a "living from paycheck to paycheck" environment.

Management should have a backup plan for certain posts that have a four man rotation in a 24/7 setting. They totally do not consider people getting sick, having family emergencies, car problems, or an accident, etc. When these happen the other 3 are stuck with no warning with the sudden flush of hours, and there is no consideration for whether or not these extra hours pose a risk to the physical and/or mental health of the remaining employees, or cause a hardship with the employees' families. Sure, we get time and a half over 40, BUT time and a half on pretty well nothing, still equals pretty well nothing.

And don't even think about EVER getting a raise.
Pros
Client decent and considerate.
Cons
Low pay, unstable schedule, lack of a backup plan by management.
Does not give raises!
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaDecember 22, 2018
Management sucks with this company. He barely picks up his telephone, when an employee is calling him. When, you do get in contact with him it is days later and he gives you lies that he thinks someone wants to hear. This company does not give raises like other security companies in the area. I would not recommend this company to nobody! McDonalds get paid more than them!
Pros
Cons
Never get raises
Work
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 14, 2018
Great place to start a career as a security officer. It will help you move into higher roles in the company. Work experience depends on what site you're stationed.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Some what ok management
Not Suggested
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  ColoradoDecember 18, 2018
1) Typical Day:
Expect you to work with little to no Supervision
Cover entire site big or small by yourself; including parking lots.
Hope you like to walk.
2) What was learned:
Essentially you're a watch dog
3) Management:
Overworked
4) Workplace Culture:
Depends on the site you're at. Could be nice and relaxed, could be stressful.
5) Hardest part:
Little to no advancement opportunities.
They don't pay their guards/employees well.
6) My Opinion:
Janitors make more than the guard(s) do.
Expect a lot for little pay
Don't work for them
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 26, 2018
I was hired to be a part-time security officer, but I worked full time hours. Not only did I work full time hours, but I also worked all 3 shifts...including all 3 in one week! No benefits, no raises, only 3 sets of uniforms, when they called you to come in, you'd better show up or get written up.

For the type of work I did, I had to have a security clearance, I was basically a glorified receptionist.

As for coworkers, some were great. Others would pay you on your back to your face, then slap you in the face behind your back, just to try to move up in the company...which was extremely limited. I submitted ideas to the management, they were approved, but some of the 'older' officers would sabotage them. Ideas that were designed to make our job a little easier, were trashed...literally. And if you have more, or higher levels of, security experience, the opposition will do anything to discredit you and that experience.

Companies like Allied-Barton are the definition of 'revolving door workplaces', because people never stay long.
Pros
Cons
Hard to maintain a work-life balance
look elsewhere
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 6, 2018
Decent job with acceptable benefits. Poor company culture with little support from the front office. Often left to muddle through poor communication with little to no clarification. Site managers and front office supervisors often provide contradicting direction leaving managers with no-win situations.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
lack of support, advancement, training
Local office is unorganized
Security Professional (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 6, 2018
Besides the local office being a mess, the company is decent with great benefits. I recommend Allied as a temporary job. There is no room for career advancement. The local office keeps you at a site even if other positions open up that you qualify for.
Pros
Benefits.