Alpine Lumber

Alpine Lumber Pay & Benefits reviews

Good benefits. Low pay. Good management. Definitely pays off in the long run for people willing to put in 25 years since they issue employee stock. Not much room for upward growth. No raises with promotions if they do come around.
At first I thought Alpine would be a good company to get on with. I was moving out of appliance delivery and wanted something marginally easier on my body. At first it seemed easier than my old job- that is until I spent roughly six months bearing the load of two non-CDL drivers because they couldn't seem to hire anyone else. I would often be expected to do 4+ runs (enough work for a 10-12hr day) within the same amount of time that I was doing my regular work load, and dispatchers would often be frustrated with me if I didn't make it back in what they thought was enough time. Additionally, I would often be sent out by myself to pick up returns (6x6 beams were common, once even a 10x10x10 beam) with no forklift or equipment or extra hands to assist me. Over the course of six months, I pinched two nerves (one in my neck and one in my elbow) and nearly broke my right hand trying to get tasks like this done. The company does 90 & 120-day "performance reviews" where they rate you on a scale of 1-5 for several categories. They are called performance reviews but really they are attempts to use your unusually low pay rate to leverage you into working beyond your comfort zone. They would rather start you out low and dangle raises in front of you to get you to work harder. Then when they finally do raise you, they offer a matter of cents. In my roughly six months here, I witnessed another Non-CDL driver being sent to school by the company so that he could fill a specific position. Once he finished, they moved him into his new position for a matter of a few months, then offered him a dismal - more...
Pros
Often allowed to stay on the clock for lunches, CEO is nice.
Cons
Easy to get hurt, low pay on all positions, insurance not offered until 90 days, cliquey management and front end, often excessive workload, corrupt raise structure.
Long hours, 10 hour days are typical, repetitive work, poor working culture among employees, easy to land a dead-end job, difficult to advance, but good benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Bad politics in working environment
The people are great, the work is great, but the work is easy to complain about. There were soda machines and there was plenty of work. Going home early was always a treat for us builders.
Pros
Plenty of time in one place, always something new
Cons
Short breaks, short lunch, not a lot of time to get much done outside of work
My typical work day was busy, sometimes stressful, but always productive. I started as the receptionist at the corporate office and was promoted to the credit and collections department in less than a year. My immediate supervisor was very knowledgeable of her department and was very patient in training me. She reported to the company's Vice President who is an amazing manager. The workplace culture is relatively relaxed and very family-oriented. The hardest part of the job was just learning the complicated Colorado tax laws, which are among the most complicated in the US. But my manager, Tammie, was a great teacher. The most enjoyable part of the job is the approach we took to collections, which was more customer service than beat-you-up collections. It felt good to solve problems rather and work with our customers who got behind from time to time, than to be mean or threatening.
Pros
Exceptional benefits
Cons
Slightly below industry standard in pay but made up by amazing benefits
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Fast pace. Good benefits with good hours. Not that good of management. If you work hard and efficient you have the chance to move up in the company. But you Have to settle for what raise they give you. They won’t negotiate
Pros
A lot of overtime
Cons
Not good wages
It's a good job if you like to be inside a warehouse all day. there is plenty of overtime pay. health insurance is required. And a lot of different positions available.
Pros
A lot of overtime pay and inside
Cons
Health insurance is expensive
Long day at work What I learned steady pace Outside Hardest part of the job always working Enjoyable part of the job quitting time
Pros
Lunche break
Cons
Shorts breaks
Alpine claims to be 'employee owned'. At no time in over a year was I asked my opinion on any company issues. In fact when I did offer options the company might be interested in concerning my position the answer was a always a confused no before the suggestion was even out of my mouth. They do have an employee retirement plan that was never explained but commonly referred to when I expressed personal compensation issues. My first review was after 4.5 months, it was supposed to be 3. I received a great review and .20 more an hour. Up until that time I worked the 10-12 hour day that was expected. I found the .20 didn't motivate that kind of commitment and chose to balance my life with 40 hr weeks. This was frowned upon. Two months after my first year review was due I was told I couldn't get a raise because they didn't know how long I was going to be around. I gave a months notice and three weeks later saw a .75 raise! Get a job here if you enjoy long hours, low pay, and love playing games!
Pros
easy, no acountable work. gossip and games!
Cons
low pay, no advancement unless your dad worked there his whole life, general disrespect
The company is employee owned and is very employee oriented. They have every benefit you could possibly think of for insurance, 401k, retirement and savings. They are a company that keeps up on their equipment maintenance, as well as upgrading them after a few years of service. I learned a lot about the different types of species of woods and their uses in the business of building. this is the company that also taught me how to operate a forklift and certified me to operate them. The yard that I worked for in Buena Vista has some of the best people I've ever had the pleasure of working with.
Pros
Employee discounts on purchases