ALS Employee Reviews

Respectable, calm work environment
Sample Prep Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVFebruary 25, 2019
The work environment at ALS is amazing. Great teamwork and a very friendly high spirited team all the way from maintenance to the property management. I loved working at ALS and plan on going back if the future holds it
Intense and repetitive
Lab Analyst (Current Employee) –  WisconsinFebruary 13, 2019
The coworkers believe in tough love, to softer skinned individuals it may be a crass environment. Management isn't seen in the lab and get's equipment from closed labs.
Pros
Other benefits
Cons
Work/Life, repetitive, high stress
Productive enviroment
Analyst 1 (Former Employee) –  Willmar, MNJanuary 3, 2019
Lots of learning but understaffed so learning was at a minimum. Training done by multiple ppl using different ways, would cause confusion at times. Management would listen but no action taken ever.
January 8, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you haven’t enjoyed your time working with us. We do acknowledge there was a period of time where we were under-resourced, we are working to rectify this to improve work-life balance for our valuable employees such as you.

Great Place to Work.
Private Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  San Clemente, CADecember 24, 2018
I loved working here. The staff was pleasant and the patients were very nice. Homecare is a particular niche that is not for everyone but for those with big hearts.
Would not recommend...
Analyst (Former Employee) –  desertNovember 27, 2018
Overall, if you are a person that wants to enjoy what you do, to be proud to describe what you do to your family and friends and to be able to enjoy anything beyond the basic cost of living....look elsewhere.
Pros
Some co-workers were very good people. Flexible schedule.
Cons
No management. Poor work environment and attiutudes. Pay that doesn't allow for anything but work, sleep and bills/rent.
It is good to work at ALS.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 16, 2018
It was good to work a stable job at ALS. My job was very sensitive, it is very important to be always accurate and give detailed and accurate data. It was good to work at ALS.
November 20, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you had a positive experience during your tenure with ALS.

Functional, good work ethic
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Canning ValeNovember 13, 2018
Lab ran smoothly, good variety of test methods and equipment, Knowledgeable staff and management. Regular training provided on both day shift and night shift.
Poor management, lots of bitter staff
Tech (Current Employee) –  Middletown, PANovember 13, 2018
The staff is overworked, angry, and bitter - partially justified, but partially their own fault. Management ignores input from experienced laboratory staff in favor of negative, clueless, but easier to talk to office personnel (largely middle-aged and older women). Subsequent management focuses on these women's idiotic concerns/observations over much more pressing issues like laboratory quality/integrity, sample management, and client services. Lab personnel are treated poorly and given unreasonable workloads. The combination of misery in the labs and offices paired with the realization that none of the goals are tenable just leads to everyone constantly complaining. Upper management keeps expanding in spite of the desperate need for productive workers at support levels. The budget can't allow for even an iota of OT to maybe give techs a chance at finishing their work, but seems to have ample allowance for more suits who can walk around and wonder why no one is happy. This place is a joke.
Pros
I guess there's a single-digit percentage of staff who are decent people, but let's face-a lot of them are meant for each other. Is that a pro?
Cons
non-existent HR, clueless managers, bulk of employees have probably never heard of GLP
December 10, 2018

ALS management, both at the local level and corporate level take each employee concern very seriously. These concerns are weighed against ALS goals, vision and core values to ensure both the employees, the clients, and the business are being treated fairly. We also recognize that the only consistent factor in our business is change as we look for continued ways to improve the operations through automation and efficiency. We also balance each decision with the challenges of the marketplace which is constantly changing as well. In some situations, the decisions that come out of this evaluation may not be congruous with the hopes or desires of each employee which is an unfortunate part of the business process. It is ALS hope that these concerns and decisions are discussed in an appropriate manner with management to allow for transparency and open dialogue at all levels of the business. At Middletown, we take pride in an open door policy with all of our employees even when they may or may not agree with the business decisions that are made in relation to these actions. We are also proud of the employees that are a part of our great team and the new facility in which we currently operate.

ALS treated me very well.
Supervisor, Scott Montgomery (Former Employee) –  West gate, Crane, INOctober 19, 2018
Very good company to work for. Great Management team. Very flexible and on top of this they made sure I had everything I needed to do my job. Didn’t have a problem at all.
Pros
Very good place to work
Cons
Had to move to different company
November 13, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. We are happy to hear your enjoyed your time with ALS.

Very hard work and dangerous
Fire Assay Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 15, 2018
A basic day at ALS in almost all departments you are working with dangerous substances like lead and celica. The average temperature inside in summer is 130 degrees Fahrenheit and in winter near freezing. There is alot of harrassment and cut throat behavior. I wasnt even there a month and I had to talk to HR about a senior employee spreading rumors about me and how homophobic language is used prefusley by a large portion of employees on the clock. This wasnt a isolated incident. I even saw two employees falsely report to management that our supervisor was calling them stupid and treating them badly. This was done because one of them wanted to be supervisor. The culture at this place is as toxic as the air in their building . And at a base pay of 13.73 definitely not worth it.
Pros
Cons
Lead poisoning, celica inhilation
October 31, 2018

Thank you for your comments and we do take them seriously. We had been made aware of the situation above and conducted an investigation which resulted in immediate corrective action. ALS has policies regarding respectful workplace behavior which provide guidance on filing complaints and protecting individuals who do. We regularly train employees on these policies and encourage them to report any concerns they have.

ALS also has a robust Health & Safety program which includes hazard concern identification and reporting. As part of the H&S program, sites are audited and safety equipment is put in place to keep employees safe. However, if there are still concerns or hazards regarding workplace safety, employees are actively encouraged to report them to their H&S representative or site manager.

Not recommended
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 10, 2018
It's an easy job, and the majority of the employees are fun to work with. The managers are nice people who are good at all aspects of their job except managing people. They play favorites and don't enforce the rules on every employee equally. What's okay for one person to do might not be okay for another to do. They seem to do little to change the (sometimes) toxic culture in the lab but get mad if you complain. At times it feels like the technicians are more invested than the managers.
Pros
Easy, flexible schedule, decent vacation/PTO
Cons
Poor management, unhealthy work environment
October 17, 2018

Thank you for your review and sorry to hear you did not feel that your management team was lacking in certain areas. To help us better understand the issue you have reported, please let us know confidentially more details about the instances you are referring to. You can send this information to ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com.

ALS prides itself on being a fair and equitable company with labs in more than 55 countries worldwide, with global policies on appropriate workplace behavior that are communicated in our mandatory training programs.

Disappointing But A Great Foot In The Door
Chemistry Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COOctober 4, 2018
This branch suffers greatly from the inability to manage and discipline employees. On multiple occasions there were harassment complaints, safety concerns, and employee disputes that were gently swept under the rug, leaving some departments in this lab with an average turnover rate of less than 6 months. Despite the work-load, low pay, and poor management, this branch sports a lot of truly incredible employees.
Outside of the staffing and management, there are other more serious concerns about this branch. The building is old and due to corporate negligence, has not been allotted the funds for proper maintenance. PPE is provided, but is not of the caliber for all the chemicals being handled here, namely hydrofluoric acid.
Overall, I would not recommend this job for anyone seasoned in lab work. If you are new to lab work, you can get a lot out of a position here but don't expect to have a career at ALS.
Pros
Excellent Co-Workers, Overtime, Learning Opportunities
Cons
Pay, Management, Upper-Management, Work-Load, Safety
November 13, 2018

Thank you for your review and sorry to hear you did not have a pleasant experience working for ALS. To help us better understand the issues you have reported, please let us know confidentially more details about the site in which you worked so we can explore improvement opportunities. ALS prides itself on safety being a number one priority, so the comments you have posted are concerning. Our culture aims to be inclusive, respectful and safety focused every single day.

Ask yourself why is this company hiring so much
Foot Rest (Former Employee) –  Elko NVOctober 4, 2018
To start things off I'd like to say that not only is the work labor intensive but you could break your back a whole lot less working at McDonalds and still be paid a higher salary with dignity. The people are great, but the management is awful you can take pride in your work and much as you want, but don't expect to be anything more than to be replaced or let go at any given moment
Pros
I no longer work here
Cons
I accepted a job here
October 31, 2018

Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated. Our industry is highly seasonal which means that workloads escalate quickly over a short period of time and often fluctuate throughout the season as well. This challenges our ability to recruit, staff and train enough employees which can cause pressure for employees and managers.

Continuous improvement is one of our core values and we do actively look for ways to create an engaging and rewarding work environment for everyone. Constructive feedback helps us see where we can still improve.

Hard work, low pay, good benefits
GC Chemical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2018
The company puts the needs of the lab and it's clients before it's employees. The employees are treated with complete disregard and the turnover rate has increased sharply. I would not recommend this workplace to anyone.
Pros
Insurance benefits
Cons
long hours, little pay, zero respect
October 17, 2018

It is unfortunate that your experience at ALS was not as favorable, however, we take on board your comments and seek areas to improve.

ALS- Great company to work for.
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 20, 2018
Great company to work for. Always learning and advancing career path. Good working atmosphere. Wadges are competitive, the benefits are outstanding this is a good company to build a career with.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Management Leadership.
Stay away!
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PASeptember 16, 2018
Unless you enjoy abusive management and unreasonable expectations with insufficient staff, stay far away from this company. The pay is below industry standards and the job culture is toxic.
Cons
Pay, Management, Repetitive Work
Most employees are friendly helpful.
Sample Prep Technician (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVAugust 26, 2018
I enjoy working most of the time. It's a hard dirty job but I knew that upon hiring.
ALS is family oriented and I have received above and beyond great treatment from our HR lady and from Deerfield.
There is a high turnover at my location even though we were all given our job description at our interview and our starting pay...I think there are just alot of lazy people in my area with no work ethic.
You have to be ambitious and patient to make it at ALS. I'm glad I stuck it out and hope to retire from ALS.
We've had a few leads and supervisors that never should have been put in those positions but there was no one else at the time to fill those positions.
This job is for hard working people who care about the company they work for and there aren't slot of us out there
Pros
holiday pay sick time vacation timw
Cons
short breaks
October 31, 2018

Thank you for your positive comments! We strive to make ALS a great place to work and it is encouraging to hear that our efforts are having an impact for some employees. We also appreciate your constructive feedback as well and will take a closer look at the concerns you raised regarding our internal promotion processes.

We are very happy to hear that you plan to retire with ALS and wish you a rewarding career with us.

Nice place to work and grow.
Technical Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Middletown, PAAugust 8, 2018
They have very little top management positions or multiple levels of approval for positive actions to occur. This can be blessing and curse - many times when immediate reactions are required the one or two decision makers are slow to respond and there s not a lot of option available to proceed to higher level decision maker.

Over all they are pleasure to work for. Occasionally their recognition and reward of in- house expertise or talent can go by unnoticed.
Pros
Flexible travel schedule, automony in developing sales opportunities, as long as it results in revenue growth.
Cons
Accountablity is lacking for Quality control short comings or operational failures.
August 21, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We welcome any additional information you have in regards to any Quality or operational concerns. Please send this through to ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com

I learned a lot
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 6, 2018
I gained many laboratory skills at ALS global. I never did soil or water extractions before, but I learned those skills there. I really enjoyed going to work every day.
August 21, 2018

Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

Started out hopeful....
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 5, 2018
Initially I was just glad to have a job. As an entry level position and my first job in my desired field, I was able to gain hands-on experience. For that I am grateful. However, many of the individuals at this establishment, including upper and lower management, do not care for the employees. There is no commonality between shifts so even though every person in this lab should be working together for results, it is likely that you'll be more of a lone wolf and left to fend for yourself. However not in a good way... in more of a... I'm going to through you under the bus type of way. If you choose to work here I would suggest not getting stuck there. By all means you can find a few positive aspects. Use it to your advantage and bulk up your resume if nothing else.
Cons
Toxic environment
October 29, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience working for ALS did not match our intention of creating a great place to work. We are taking your advice and feedback seriously and if you would like to share more about your experience please contact the HR team confidentially by emailing ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at ALS.

Powered by Comparably