ALS Employee Reviews

Very hard work and dangerous
Fire Assay Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 15, 2018
A basic day at ALS in almost all departments you are working with dangerous substances like lead and celica. The average temperature inside in summer is 130 degrees Fahrenheit and in winter near freezing. There is alot of harrassment and cut throat behavior. I wasnt even there a month and I had to talk to HR about a senior employee spreading rumors about me and how homophobic language is used prefusley by a large portion of employees on the clock. This wasnt a isolated incident. I even saw two employees falsely report to management that our supervisor was calling them stupid and treating them badly. This was done because one of them wanted to be supervisor. The culture at this place is as toxic as the air in their building . And at a base pay of 13.73 definitely not worth it.
Pros
Cons
Lead poisoning, celica inhilation
Not recommended
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 10, 2018
It's an easy job, and the majority of the employees are fun to work with. The managers are nice people who are good at all aspects of their job except managing people. They play favorites and don't enforce the rules on every employee equally. What's okay for one person to do might not be okay for another to do. They seem to do little to change the (sometimes) toxic culture in the lab but get mad if you complain. At times it feels like the technicians are more invested than the managers.
Pros
Easy, flexible schedule, decent vacation/PTO
Cons
Poor management, unhealthy work environment
October 17, 2018

Thank you for your review and sorry to hear you did not feel that your management team was lacking in certain areas. To help us better understand the issue you have reported, please let us know confidentially more details about the instances you are referring to. You can send this information to ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com.

ALS prides itself on being a fair and equitable company with labs in more than 55 countries worldwide, with global policies on appropriate workplace behavior that are communicated in our mandatory training programs.

Disappointing But A Great Foot In The Door
Chemistry Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COOctober 4, 2018
This branch suffers greatly from the inability to manage and discipline employees. On multiple occasions there were harassment complaints, safety concerns, and employee disputes that were gently swept under the rug, leaving some departments in this lab with an average turnover rate of less than 6 months. Despite the work-load, low pay, and poor management, this branch sports a lot of truly incredible employees.
Outside of the staffing and management, there are other more serious concerns about this branch. The building is old and due to corporate negligence, has not been allotted the funds for proper maintenance. PPE is provided, but is not of the caliber for all the chemicals being handled here, namely hydrofluoric acid.
Overall, I would not recommend this job for anyone seasoned in lab work. If you are new to lab work, you can get a lot out of a position here but don't expect to have a career at ALS.
Pros
Excellent Co-Workers, Overtime, Learning Opportunities
Cons
Pay, Management, Upper-Management, Work-Load, Safety
Ask yourself why is this company hiring so much
Foot Rest (Former Employee) –  Elko NVOctober 4, 2018
To start things off I'd like to say that not only is the work labor intensive but you could break your back a whole lot less working at McDonalds and still be paid a higher salary with dignity. The people are great, but the management is awful you can take pride in your work and much as you want, but don't expect to be anything more than to be replaced or let go at any given moment
Pros
I no longer work here
Cons
I accepted a job here
Hard work, low pay, good benefits
GC Chemical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2018
The company puts the needs of the lab and it's clients before it's employees. The employees are treated with complete disregard and the turnover rate has increased sharply. I would not recommend this workplace to anyone.
Pros
Insurance benefits
Cons
long hours, little pay, zero respect
October 17, 2018

It is unfortunate that your experience at ALS was not as favorable, however, we take on board your comments and seek areas to improve.

Nice place to work and grow.
Technical Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Middletown, PAAugust 8, 2018
They have very little top management positions or multiple levels of approval for positive actions to occur. This can be blessing and curse - many times when immediate reactions are required the one or two decision makers are slow to respond and there s not a lot of option available to proceed to higher level decision maker.

Over all they are pleasure to work for. Occasionally their recognition and reward of in- house expertise or talent can go by unnoticed.
Pros
Flexible travel schedule, automony in developing sales opportunities, as long as it results in revenue growth.
Cons
Accountablity is lacking for Quality control short comings or operational failures.
August 21, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We welcome any additional information you have in regards to any Quality or operational concerns. Please send this through to ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com

I learned a lot
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 6, 2018
I gained many laboratory skills at ALS global. I never did soil or water extractions before, but I learned those skills there. I really enjoyed going to work every day.
August 21, 2018

Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

Started out hopeful....
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 5, 2018
Initially I was just glad to have a job. As an entry level position and my first job in my desired field, I was able to gain hands-on experience. For that I am grateful. However, many of the individuals at this establishment, including upper and lower management, do not care for the employees. There is no commonality between shifts so even though every person in this lab should be working together for results, it is likely that you'll be more of a lone wolf and left to fend for yourself. However not in a good way... in more of a... I'm going to through you under the bus type of way. If you choose to work here I would suggest not getting stuck there. By all means you can find a few positive aspects. Use it to your advantage and bulk up your resume if nothing else.
Cons
Toxic environment
Horrible place to work employees don't make it through the into, this is intentional
Sample Prep Technician (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVAugust 1, 2018
Good coworkers promise of a raise and bonus after 90 days, they ask employees to leave a weak before you actually receive these benefits. They will harass you relentlessly and more aggressively the closer to get to you're 90 period. First 2 months are lean-ant only moderately labor intensive , went by fast.
Pros
Some decent co-workers
Cons
Manager lies about post into bonus+raise
The worst job I've ever had
Sample Preparation Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 25, 2018
This job Change my schedule every two weeks. The managing staff at this job was never at work and when there they show a lot of favoritism. I would not recommend this job to no one.
Pros
OK Pay
Cons
Schedule constantly changing
Second review als must have had it erased
NDE Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 24, 2018
I was lied to on a regular basis .Management can't be trusted and this is putting things nicely .The Radiation safety officer falsified documents and will tell you one thing and do another .
Pros
None to speak about
Cons
Rso lies to your face
A Joke Would Be An Understatement
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2018
The levels of unprofessionalism dealt within this company are beyond laughable.

First off, the pay is disgustingly below average. Raises only amount to 25-50 cents a year. I highly advise you use this job as a spring board to attain what little laboratory skills you'll learn so you can use those within another lab that will pay you a respectable wage.

Lab management was beyond unprofessional. Repeated attempts to learn other skills at different work stations were ignored. Personal agendas are of the utmost importance rather then the performance of the lab.

If you're an ambitious, driven, hard worker who values being respected for busting your butt, please steer clear of this company.

If you're content just clocking into a mundane 9-5 and can handle unprofessional management leading you on a daily basis, best of luck to you.
Pros
Overtime. Manageable work schedule.
Cons
Management. Pay. Lack of opportunity for advancement.
DON'T DO IT! Horrible work environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJuly 12, 2018
I f you want to be overworked, underpaid and treated poorly, this is the place for you!

Unrealistic expectations
Demanding and fast paced
Very low pay
Stressful
Exposed to radioactive materials
Pros
Can't even name one
Cons
Everything about this place
August 21, 2018

We apologize that your experience at ALS was not what we strive for it to be. Please reach out to us on ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com so we can investigate the situations you describe above.

a good place to work
Customer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Stafford, TXJuly 6, 2018
a good place to work and a good management. Good benefits and friendly environment. Friendly employees with a great work place. great salary. the hardest part was the long hours and constant standing. I learned a lot about the science of environmental samples. the most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers. I enjoyed being able to deliver samples to customers and work with customers.
August 21, 2018

Thank you for this feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

Great company
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 25, 2018
Great company, the economy effected our overall plan. Purchased 7 oil and gas service companies and the merger and acquisitions were a hold up with procurement and made it hard to get under the same tax id number.
stressful place to work at
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJune 18, 2018
als emperica is a great compnay to work for but at the same time is very stressful and very time consuming it can wear you down getting called in at 2 am to make rig runs to locations that are 4 hours away with litle to no sleep isnt the best thing
Great place to start you oil and gas career without any experience
SURFACE LOGGING ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJune 11, 2018
It was a good work place when I was there. Learn a lot about the work as well as some oil fields stuff. It was a perfect for the new commer like me to start my career without any experience.
Interesting work, great boss
Operations (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 30, 2018
Very old school in leadership approach. No fringe benefits at all. Extremely lean. You will learn a ton and do everything.

No systems in place to assist with Global work.

Needs help with structure and change leadership.
Pros
good parking
Cons
old school, high control environment
August 21, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We would be interested in hearing more about your experiences, if you are willing to share them. Please reach out to us at ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com

ALS was a good place to work, It had a get it done attitude.
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  BrisbaneMay 27, 2018
So I came out of primarily working with CRM Dynamics to working in a full stack environment at ALS. I had time to learn. The job was with oil and gas and the development office was situated above a Lab so it stank a bit with oil.. Start and finish times where flexible. Id work there again but not above a Lab.
N/a
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXMay 15, 2018
a typical day at work was the basic working on the forklift
I learned nothing cause I was doing forklift
the management was okay the help me out
working place was always clean
August 21, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are working to create career paths and additional training for our employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about