ALS Employee Reviews

Functional, good work ethic
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Canning ValeNovember 13, 2018
Lab ran smoothly, good variety of test methods and equipment, Knowledgeable staff and management. Regular training provided on both day shift and night shift.
Poor management, lots of bitter staff
Tech (Current Employee) –  Middletown, PANovember 13, 2018
The staff is overworked, angry, and bitter - partially justified, but partially their own fault. Management ignores input from experienced laboratory staff in favor of negative, clueless, but easier to talk to office personnel (largely middle-aged and older women). Subsequent management focuses on these women's idiotic concerns/observations over much more pressing issues like laboratory quality/integrity, sample management, and client services. Lab personnel are treated poorly and given unreasonable workloads. The combination of misery in the labs and offices paired with the realization that none of the goals are tenable just leads to everyone constantly complaining. Upper management keeps expanding in spite of the desperate need for productive workers at support levels. The budget can't allow for even an iota of OT to maybe give techs a chance at finishing their work, but seems to have ample allowance for more suits who can walk around and wonder why no one is happy. This place is a joke.
Pros
I guess there's a single-digit percentage of staff who are decent people, but let's face-a lot of them are meant for each other. Is that a pro?
Cons
non-existent HR, clueless managers, bulk of employees have probably never heard of GLP
December 10, 2018

ALS management, both at the local level and corporate level take each employee concern very seriously. These concerns are weighed against ALS goals, vision and core values to ensure both the employees, the clients, and the business are being treated fairly. We also recognize that the only consistent factor in our business is change as we look for continued ways to improve the operations through automation and efficiency. We also balance each decision with the challenges of the marketplace which is constantly changing as well. In some situations, the decisions that come out of this evaluation may not be congruous with the hopes or desires of each employee which is an unfortunate part of the business process. It is ALS hope that these concerns and decisions are discussed in an appropriate manner with management to allow for transparency and open dialogue at all levels of the business. At Middletown, we take pride in an open door policy with all of our employees even when they may or may not agree with the business decisions that are made in relation to these actions. We are also proud of the employees that are a part of our great team and the new facility in which we currently operate.

ALS treated me very well.
Supervisor, Scott Montgomery (Former Employee) –  West gate, Crane, INOctober 19, 2018
Very good company to work for. Great Management team. Very flexible and on top of this they made sure I had everything I needed to do my job. Didn’t have a problem at all.
Pros
Very good place to work
Cons
Had to move to different company
November 13, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. We are happy to hear your enjoyed your time with ALS.

Very hard work and dangerous
Fire Assay Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVOctober 15, 2018
A basic day at ALS in almost all departments you are working with dangerous substances like lead and celica. The average temperature inside in summer is 130 degrees Fahrenheit and in winter near freezing. There is alot of harrassment and cut throat behavior. I wasnt even there a month and I had to talk to HR about a senior employee spreading rumors about me and how homophobic language is used prefusley by a large portion of employees on the clock. This wasnt a isolated incident. I even saw two employees falsely report to management that our supervisor was calling them stupid and treating them badly. This was done because one of them wanted to be supervisor. The culture at this place is as toxic as the air in their building . And at a base pay of 13.73 definitely not worth it.
Pros
Cons
Lead poisoning, celica inhilation
October 31, 2018

Thank you for your comments and we do take them seriously. We had been made aware of the situation above and conducted an investigation which resulted in immediate corrective action. ALS has policies regarding respectful workplace behavior which provide guidance on filing complaints and protecting individuals who do. We regularly train employees on these policies and encourage them to report any concerns they have.

ALS also has a robust Health & Safety program which includes hazard concern identification and reporting. As part of the H&S program, sites are audited and safety equipment is put in place to keep employees safe. However, if there are still concerns or hazards regarding workplace safety, employees are actively encouraged to report them to their H&S representative or site manager.

Not recommended
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 10, 2018
It's an easy job, and the majority of the employees are fun to work with. The managers are nice people who are good at all aspects of their job except managing people. They play favorites and don't enforce the rules on every employee equally. What's okay for one person to do might not be okay for another to do. They seem to do little to change the (sometimes) toxic culture in the lab but get mad if you complain. At times it feels like the technicians are more invested than the managers.
Pros
Easy, flexible schedule, decent vacation/PTO
Cons
Poor management, unhealthy work environment
October 17, 2018

Thank you for your review and sorry to hear you did not feel that your management team was lacking in certain areas. To help us better understand the issue you have reported, please let us know confidentially more details about the instances you are referring to. You can send this information to ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com.

ALS prides itself on being a fair and equitable company with labs in more than 55 countries worldwide, with global policies on appropriate workplace behavior that are communicated in our mandatory training programs.

Disappointing But A Great Foot In The Door
Chemistry Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COOctober 4, 2018
This branch suffers greatly from the inability to manage and discipline employees. On multiple occasions there were harassment complaints, safety concerns, and employee disputes that were gently swept under the rug, leaving some departments in this lab with an average turnover rate of less than 6 months. Despite the work-load, low pay, and poor management, this branch sports a lot of truly incredible employees.
Outside of the staffing and management, there are other more serious concerns about this branch. The building is old and due to corporate negligence, has not been allotted the funds for proper maintenance. PPE is provided, but is not of the caliber for all the chemicals being handled here, namely hydrofluoric acid.
Overall, I would not recommend this job for anyone seasoned in lab work. If you are new to lab work, you can get a lot out of a position here but don't expect to have a career at ALS.
Pros
Excellent Co-Workers, Overtime, Learning Opportunities
Cons
Pay, Management, Upper-Management, Work-Load, Safety
November 13, 2018

Thank you for your review and sorry to hear you did not have a pleasant experience working for ALS. To help us better understand the issues you have reported, please let us know confidentially more details about the site in which you worked so we can explore improvement opportunities. ALS prides itself on safety being a number one priority, so the comments you have posted are concerning. Our culture aims to be inclusive, respectful and safety focused every single day.

Ask yourself why is this company hiring so much
Foot Rest (Former Employee) –  Elko NVOctober 4, 2018
To start things off I'd like to say that not only is the work labor intensive but you could break your back a whole lot less working at McDonalds and still be paid a higher salary with dignity. The people are great, but the management is awful you can take pride in your work and much as you want, but don't expect to be anything more than to be replaced or let go at any given moment
Pros
I no longer work here
Cons
I accepted a job here
October 31, 2018

Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated. Our industry is highly seasonal which means that workloads escalate quickly over a short period of time and often fluctuate throughout the season as well. This challenges our ability to recruit, staff and train enough employees which can cause pressure for employees and managers.

Continuous improvement is one of our core values and we do actively look for ways to create an engaging and rewarding work environment for everyone. Constructive feedback helps us see where we can still improve.

Hard work, low pay, good benefits
GC Chemical Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2018
The company puts the needs of the lab and it's clients before it's employees. The employees are treated with complete disregard and the turnover rate has increased sharply. I would not recommend this workplace to anyone.
Pros
Insurance benefits
Cons
long hours, little pay, zero respect
October 17, 2018

It is unfortunate that your experience at ALS was not as favorable, however, we take on board your comments and seek areas to improve.

Most employees are friendly helpful.
Sample Prep Technician (Current Employee) –  Elko, NVAugust 26, 2018
I enjoy working most of the time. It's a hard dirty job but I knew that upon hiring.
ALS is family oriented and I have received above and beyond great treatment from our HR lady and from Deerfield.
There is a high turnover at my location even though we were all given our job description at our interview and our starting pay...I think there are just alot of lazy people in my area with no work ethic.
You have to be ambitious and patient to make it at ALS. I'm glad I stuck it out and hope to retire from ALS.
We've had a few leads and supervisors that never should have been put in those positions but there was no one else at the time to fill those positions.
This job is for hard working people who care about the company they work for and there aren't slot of us out there
Pros
holiday pay sick time vacation timw
Cons
short breaks
October 31, 2018

Thank you for your positive comments! We strive to make ALS a great place to work and it is encouraging to hear that our efforts are having an impact for some employees. We also appreciate your constructive feedback as well and will take a closer look at the concerns you raised regarding our internal promotion processes.

We are very happy to hear that you plan to retire with ALS and wish you a rewarding career with us.

Nice place to work and grow.
Technical Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Middletown, PAAugust 8, 2018
They have very little top management positions or multiple levels of approval for positive actions to occur. This can be blessing and curse - many times when immediate reactions are required the one or two decision makers are slow to respond and there s not a lot of option available to proceed to higher level decision maker.

Over all they are pleasure to work for. Occasionally their recognition and reward of in- house expertise or talent can go by unnoticed.
Pros
Flexible travel schedule, automony in developing sales opportunities, as long as it results in revenue growth.
Cons
Accountablity is lacking for Quality control short comings or operational failures.
August 21, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We welcome any additional information you have in regards to any Quality or operational concerns. Please send this through to ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com

I learned a lot
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 6, 2018
I gained many laboratory skills at ALS global. I never did soil or water extractions before, but I learned those skills there. I really enjoyed going to work every day.
August 21, 2018

Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

Started out hopeful....
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 5, 2018
Initially I was just glad to have a job. As an entry level position and my first job in my desired field, I was able to gain hands-on experience. For that I am grateful. However, many of the individuals at this establishment, including upper and lower management, do not care for the employees. There is no commonality between shifts so even though every person in this lab should be working together for results, it is likely that you'll be more of a lone wolf and left to fend for yourself. However not in a good way... in more of a... I'm going to through you under the bus type of way. If you choose to work here I would suggest not getting stuck there. By all means you can find a few positive aspects. Use it to your advantage and bulk up your resume if nothing else.
Cons
Toxic environment
October 29, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience working for ALS did not match our intention of creating a great place to work. We are taking your advice and feedback seriously and if you would like to share more about your experience please contact the HR team confidentially by emailing ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com.

Horrible place to work employees don't make it through the into, this is intentional
Sample Prep Technician (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVAugust 1, 2018
Good coworkers promise of a raise and bonus after 90 days, they ask employees to leave a weak before you actually receive these benefits. They will harass you relentlessly and more aggressively the closer to get to you're 90 period. First 2 months are lean-ant only moderately labor intensive , went by fast.
Pros
Some decent co-workers
Cons
Manager lies about post into bonus+raise
October 31, 2018

Thank you for your honesty and candor. It is regrettable that your experience working at ALS was not a positive one. We do have respectful workplace policies which all employees are trained on and are required to follow while at work. These policies outline how to make a report and protect employees who do so in good faith. It is unfortunate that your concerns were not brought forward during your employment; however, we will still look in to the concerns you raised in your comments and take corrective action if necessary.

October 31, 2018

It is unfortunate that your experience at ALS was not a positive one. We have a number of policies to support a respectful and harassment free work environment. Because it is so important to us, employees are trained on these policies when they are hired and we continue to re-fresh training regularly with longer term employees. These policies also provide guidance on filing a report with HR and protection for individuals who do so in good faith. It is regrettable that we were not made aware of these concerns so we could take appropriate action at the time.

Having said that, we do appreciate your comments and will still look in to the above concerns further to see if any corrective action is needed.

The worst job I've ever had
Sample Preparation Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 25, 2018
This job Change my schedule every two weeks. The managing staff at this job was never at work and when there they show a lot of favoritism. I would not recommend this job to no one.
Pros
OK Pay
Cons
Schedule constantly changing
October 31, 2018

It is unfortunate that your experience at ALS was not as we endeavor it to be. Because our industry is so seasonal and sample volumes fluctuate week to week, it is a constant juggling act to match employee schedules to the unpredictable workloads. Having said that, we do try to accommodate scheduling preferences as much as we can. Regrettably, we are not able to meet everyone's needs.

Second review als must have had it erased
NDE Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 24, 2018
I was lied to on a regular basis .Management can't be trusted and this is putting things nicely .The Radiation safety officer falsified documents and will tell you one thing and do another .
Pros
None to speak about
Cons
Rso lies to your face
October 22, 2018

Thank you for your review. We appreciate any feedback that may help us to improve the experience of our staff and would like to investigate your views further. ALS takes safety very seriously and the General Manager would like the opportunity to discuss this further. Please could you provide additional details, confidentially, at ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com.

October 22, 2018

Thank you for your review. We appreciate any feedback that may help us to improve the experience of our staff and would like to investigate your views further. ALS takes safety very seriously and the General Manager would like the opportunity to discuss this further. Please reach out confidentially to the HR department at ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com.

A Joke Would Be An Understatement
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2018
The levels of unprofessionalism dealt within this company are beyond laughable.

First off, the pay is disgustingly below average. Raises only amount to 25-50 cents a year. I highly advise you use this job as a spring board to attain what little laboratory skills you'll learn so you can use those within another lab that will pay you a respectable wage.

Lab management was beyond unprofessional. Repeated attempts to learn other skills at different work stations were ignored. Personal agendas are of the utmost importance rather then the performance of the lab.

If you're an ambitious, driven, hard worker who values being respected for busting your butt, please steer clear of this company.

If you're content just clocking into a mundane 9-5 and can handle unprofessional management leading you on a daily basis, best of luck to you.
Pros
Overtime. Manageable work schedule.
Cons
Management. Pay. Lack of opportunity for advancement.
October 29, 2018

Thank you for your review and sorry to hear you had an uncomfortable working experience with ALS. To help us better understand the issues you have reported, please let us know confidentially more details about the site in which you worked so we can explore improvement opportunities. Your further feedback would be appreciated, please send more information to ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com.

DON'T DO IT! Horrible work environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJuly 12, 2018
I f you want to be overworked, underpaid and treated poorly, this is the place for you!

Unrealistic expectations
Demanding and fast paced
Very low pay
Stressful
Exposed to radioactive materials
Pros
Can't even name one
Cons
Everything about this place
August 21, 2018

We apologize that your experience at ALS was not what we strive for it to be. Please reach out to us on ALSUSA.HRSupport@ALSGlobal.com so we can investigate the situations you describe above.

a good place to work
Customer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Stafford, TXJuly 6, 2018
a good place to work and a good management. Good benefits and friendly environment. Friendly employees with a great work place. great salary. the hardest part was the long hours and constant standing. I learned a lot about the science of environmental samples. the most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers. I enjoyed being able to deliver samples to customers and work with customers.
August 21, 2018

Thank you for this feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review.

Great company
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 25, 2018
Great company, the economy effected our overall plan. Purchased 7 oil and gas service companies and the merger and acquisitions were a hold up with procurement and made it hard to get under the same tax id number.
October 22, 2018

Thank you for the review. We are happy to hear that you, like us, believe ALS is a great company.

stressful place to work at
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJune 18, 2018
als emperica is a great compnay to work for but at the same time is very stressful and very time consuming it can wear you down getting called in at 2 am to make rig runs to locations that are 4 hours away with litle to no sleep isnt the best thing
October 22, 2018

Thank you for the review. However, this is a company that is no longer part of the ALS brand as it was divested in December 2018.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALS. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.5InHerSight Score

1.2Personal Development

1.0Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight