ALSTOM Employee Reviews

Found 457 reviews matching the search See all 2,496 reviews
Hired on permanently...low wage for the hard, conscientious worker
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Charleroi, PAFebruary 14, 2019
For the most part fellow workers are friendly and helpful...if you are a good, hard working, conscientious worker you tend to have to pick up the slack for those who don't care so much...even for those who have been there longer than you. If it weren't for the mandatory overtime I couldn't afford this job. Being a family man I am earning the equivalent of two minimum wages. I am worth much more. I have received one .25 raise since hired. (My question is if they raise the state minimum wage to 12.00 an hour are employees such as myself going to get a jump in pay)? I was promised another .25 an hour raise after the first of the year. It is already mid February.
Pros
Close to home, overtime, benefits
Cons
Pay should be higher for those who care
Moral is dead.
General Mechanic 2 (Former Employee) –  Hornell, NYFebruary 5, 2019
There is no moral. Everyone that I worked with hates the place and treatment. There union doesn't seem to have a back bone. They don't care for the workers.They treat you as a modern slave almost. too many childish rules for the worker, then for the office workers. Management looks down at the workers. HR is horrible don't trust the head Guy in there. Can't pay there bills and vendors on a timely mater. So your always waiting for parts cause they won't bring them until they get paid. Then they complain when you are not getting things done. Then make you work overtime with no parts to get the job done Really? Who dose that? Or theirs a big rush on something that needs done ASAP and you get done and it sits there for over a week or 2 or 3. Who's Running this place? a Child? Just Feels like there something shady is going on with the upper management and with the money. Like spend $100,000. on equipment but complain if you need or missing parts. It takes weeks to get while you could of gone to the store in town to get in minutes. Organized Far from it. There is a lot of office workers and the place still runs unorganized. You got multiple people from different countries and speck different languages which is great and awesome, but theirs seems a lack of communication going on the line. Some engineers have the worker figure out how to put something together and then draw plains on how the worker put it together and take the credit. Isn't that their job, and why they are getting the big bucks. Instead riding a workers coat tails that's getting $13-16 a hour. Or better yet building  more... subway cars without plains for the workers to go by. Really? The upper management needs to go now! This company is being run into the ground at the Hornell, N.Y. location and the town going to suffer for it.  less
Productive work place
Customer Service Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VAJanuary 21, 2019
lI enjoyed working for Alstom for 20 years. In 2015 GE bought out Alstom Power and within 2 years my postion with GE was eliminated due the a reduction of force event. Asltom was a very good company to work for and I created many industry connections through my years of working at Alstom.
good work/life balance but not very exciting work
Project Engineering Management Assistant Coop (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 10, 2019
The work/life balance at Alstom is pretty great and the compensation and benefits are really good. But, if you are not very excited about trains and train systems, it is not the best place to work at.
Unprofessional behaviors accepted as the normal
Rather not say (Current Employee) –  Hornell, NYJanuary 7, 2019
I like my coworkers. The work load is not bad and hours are not bad either compared to my last job it was a good move for me. Unfortunately there are a lot of unprofessional behaviors throughout the company that seem to be acceptable. Employees falling asleep and snoring out loud, supervisors hear it but ignore it. Profanity is rampant. Heard less F bombs in the military. Mean and nasty behavior is the normal from a few supervisors. Demanding and no personal skills what so ever. It makes it very difficult to make it through the day with a sense of job satisfaction. I go home frustrated and angry often because of the behaviors.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Holiday lunch food catering is good.
Mechanical / Electrical (Former Employee) –  Hornell, NYJanuary 4, 2019
Alstom Transport Co. is a productive, and expanding company. It is also a safety minded company with OSSA regulations to help keep a safe, and clean workplace environment.
Pros
close to home.
Cons
Union group.
Relaxed work environment
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Hornell, NYJanuary 3, 2019
I was very happy working as a quality control inspector. I learned a wide range of different checking equipment such as height gauge,gloss reading,dimensions and moving parts through the system. i used JD Edwards inventory control program.
Pros
Lots of learning opportunities
Cons
Temporay enployment.
Needs work
Industrial Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hornell, NYDecember 19, 2018
The management practices are awful and communication is almost non-existent.
Most of the people that work here are really good people but no one seems to know how to communicate effectively.
Cons
No breaks, expected to stay late every day, required to use vacation days to cover plant shut downs
Constantly Challenging
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Grain Valley, MODecember 11, 2018
There is constant change requiring shifting priorities daily which can lend to a stressful work environment. Changing leadership creates challenges to implement sustaining improvements.
A big disappointment
Lead Software Engineer\SCRUM Master\EPL (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLNovember 30, 2018
Company is not well managed. Too many contracts with too few dollars ends up making you work way too hard to make schedules that are unrealistic and which will never make money.

Management is firmly invested in the good-old-boy network and many are just waiting for retirement.
Pros
Cons
too many contractors. Always chasing unprofitable contracts
would never go back
Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTNovember 30, 2018
Horrible management who don't want to be bothered by employees. New hires are on their own to figure out how things are run. Can take up to 3 weeks before you even have a computer on your desk.
Pros
Holiday parties were extravagant
Cons
Everything else
Good
Vobc operator (Former Employee) –  LondonNovember 26, 2018
Easy relaxed enviornment that suits people of all walks of life i would recomend any one to grab this oppurtnity to work for a great company with great individuals.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Flexibility
Produtive work place
Grinder (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 26, 2018
assemble, disassembler turbine learn how to freq.weigh quality test excellent manager small work team welding metals was little hard i love the work environment
Environnement de travail productif et agréable
TS maintenance industriel (Électricien) (Current Employee) –  AlgerNovember 15, 2018
Environnement de travail productif et agréable et extra
Pros
la sécurité
Cons
Le salaire
Was a growing business
Purchasing Clerk/Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Hornell, NYNovember 15, 2018
Enjoyed working here, my Supervisor was the BEST, sadly she left the company.
Met lots of great people, several from the UK
Great location for the area.
Alstom all Talk no Execution
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hornell, NYNovember 14, 2018
Management is on a bi yearly rotational basis and each manager contradicts the previous managers ideals, work ethic and priorities thus leaving alstom in a constant state of chasing it's own tail. The pay is good and if you can ignore the internal politics, you'll have a job for as long as you can mentally withstand the carousel of management.
Performance Design Engineer, Product Development (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTNovember 10, 2018
I absolutely loved working at Alstom. It was a fulfillment of one of my career aspirations. I was very satisfied with everything at this company, however all that was short lived as I was one of the unfortunate engineers to be laid off 8 years ago.
Pros
Awesome work environment, excellent benefits. Excellent learning curve, great products.
Cons
Got laid off too soon
Good first job
Material Planner (Current Employee) –  Hornell, NYNovember 8, 2018
I recommend working at Alstom.
Busy at work everyday
I have learned a lot about ERP, MRP, Procurement and Supply chain
It is a rewarding challenge to balance everything throughout the day
Good work environment
Fair management, realistic expectation, balanced culture
Software Designer (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 2, 2018
While Alstom has a lot of processes and procedures which can be challenges to understand and work through, the culture is very diverse and focused on work-life balance.

The benefits are amazing, both health and 401k.

Management is both realistic and understanding of the time and effort required to complete tasks. A 40 hour week is truly a 40 hour week and they are very flexible and accommodating to their employees.

They support the 9/80 schedule (voluntary).
Alstom, not CE any more
Field Ops Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTOctober 25, 2018
back again after a long absence, and second owner since I left. Boiler business is in seeming "boom" mode, and in fairness there are some of the same "good" people still here but they are mostly hanging in for retirement and are now bosses but not really in control - the European owner and profit over quality appear to be. Typical day is boring - trying to find stuff to do / mostly paperwork. Learned again who did what, and who had the answers I needed to get done what I was assigned. Management is "modern" but doesn't take responsibility early or directly enough IMHO. Hardest part of job was putting up with fragile ego's of technical managers when their stuff isn't right, or field-forces / client / end-user practical. Best part of job was traveling to powerplant sites for field troubleshooting visits.
Pros
field boiler troubleshooting trips and interfacing with end-users to solve thorny technical problems
Cons
fragile ego's of technical managers afaid of criticism, they have limited real-world experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ALSTOM. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.7Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight