AltaMed Employee Reviews

Very demanding and stressful envioroment
Dental Health Clinic Supervisor (Current Employee) –  El Monte, CAAugust 6, 2018
AltaMed has a great mission statement; unfortunately, some management members are not qualified to drive the mission, nor to mentor their teams. There is not accountability from directors or some management personnel, they simply wash their hands and blame others.

Lastly, some directors or management staff, are not qualified for their positions; what I noticed is that in many cases, staffed were promoted because they were part of the good friends circle, and not based on their abilities or skills. Thus leading for many providers (Doctors) and staff to leave the company. This has created an outburst of short staffing and very minimum support to replace vacancies. This situation continuous to increase the level of stars staff is experiencing.
Benefits
Cons
depending on the department otr clinic you work out of, you may have to watch your back a lot before you get throughn under the bus, or blamed for practically anything. Some
Referral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 28, 2018
Working for Altamed there's hardly any down time from morning to end day .Meeting are required to be attended once month in which causes are work follow to be backed up
Pros
starting pay is decent
Cons
changes of management
Horrible Management and upper management
Medical Provider (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 25, 2018
Worst working experience ever. Was told to prescribe Norco to patients by Office Manager at the clinic for patients. Was micromanaged and by Head Doctor at clinic. When expressed complaints to Corporate, nothing was done.
Great corporation
Register Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAJuly 24, 2018
Altamed has a good work environment. I like working for this company because they care about their employees. AltaMed is always on top of the newest advancements, for the care of their patients.
Short staffed, micromanagers
LVN, Urgent Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  El Monte, CAJuly 11, 2018
While working at Altamed, I learned a great deal from the providers I worded with. For the most part, the providers were always willing to teach and answer any questions. However, I can not say the same about the supervisors. The supervisors are hardly ever on the floor. Instead, they have "leads" who they have do their dirty work for them. At the El Monte Clinic, the staff is constantly micromanaged by majority of the "leads." This is terrible because it shows there is no trust in the employees. The supervisors make up excuses and refuse to make changes. The inventory is frequently out of stock, and takes about 2-3 days to get a new shipment. This hinders good patient care. This clinic is very unorganized! The employees are constantly being moved around due to call outs. Employees call out so much because they are not happy with the way things are run. There is too much gossip, and politics at this particular site. There is also extra work load put on each back office employee. Aside from your job duties of being an MA or LVN, they will assign additional duties such as vaccine inventory, Mammo logs, Site Safety tasks (just to name a few). The LVNs also get paid less at this site, versus some of the newer sites such as South Gate or the Corporate Float Team. The pay should be the same throughout the company. I do recommend Altamed, just not the El Monte Clinic. There needs to be major adjustments made from the back office supervisors and leads.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, paid holidays
Cons
Micromanagement, no autonomy, short staffed, too much politics in upper management
Case Manager- Lead. Home visits for families (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2018
Do not recall a typical day management workplace culture the most detailed working environment No other information to list. Some time ago. no need to list
community service
Sr. Recruiter (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAJuly 3, 2018
We were initially established as a free clinic in East Los Angeles in 1969, and are now a leading health care system providing care to more than 300,000 Southern California residents. Our 35 accredited sites offer a variety of services to patients of all ages in Los Angeles and Orange counties, including:
Pros
great team
Cons
location
Productive & Competitive which I enjoyed
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 2, 2018
Typical Day: read emails, evaluate enrollment reports, telephone calls to follow-up with potential clients, answer questions-customer service, field work-visit senior apartments/centers, community events.

I learned about Senior Advocacy & how to offer them services which would help them stay healthier.

Management played favorites.

Workplace Culture created out of fear, the administrator manipulated scenarios to get people fired.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with managers, changing the rules, since I was consistently #1 producer, they tried to take my clients away to give to other/favorites.

I loved working and helping my customers, and saw that they loved me back!
Pros
Helping seniors
Cons
Managers were very unfair
Caring company that was growing too quickly
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJune 14, 2018
I worked here a few years ago. I enjoyed working for the company itself, but it was growing so quickly that there were never any available appointments for the patients, which made working in the call center a little stressful. Patients would be angry with the reps even though we had no control over these things. I think by now they have added more providers. I would recommend working here though.
Pros
nice people, company has great values, good benefits
Cons
not enough appts for upset patients
Great benefits! Poor management
MEDICAL ESCORT (Current Employee) –  Huntington Park, CAJune 10, 2018
Altamed is a great place to work, great benefits, decent pay. Management can definitely improve, not enough experience. Job advancement is possible but favoritism is exercised among management.
Pros
Job stability, great benefits, decent pay
Cons
Poor managements, unorganized
Okay company to work for
Contract Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 5, 2018
I was contracted there for over 6 months. Team was great and management was great. Dress code was stiff. Ties every day and even on Fridays, while not facing any clients. Overall though, great company with a great mission. Would work for them again and recommend them to anyone in the industry.
Middle Managers Lack Experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAMay 31, 2018
Most managers and supervisors are prematurely promoted to their positions. They lack the skills and traits of true managers and mentors. They even lack the required education to handle the job. The result is a lackluster performance of the departments. Because of lack of education and professional demeanor, they promote and condone favoritism, infighting and stunt your professional growth by not involving everybody in opportunities. Nepotism is big here,too.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
Unprofessional
Nice place to work
UM Prior Authorization (Physician) Reviewer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 22, 2018
Amazing company, feels more like a family than employer. Everyone is very hard working. When you start the goals are clear, and not much unnecessary delegation of work going on. All employees are very happy.
Benefits
Cons
non
Would Not Recommend
Manager (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAMay 22, 2018
My experience at Altamed was one of the worse places in my 20 years in health care. Nepotism, politics, lack of skill set from leadership and staff, underlying prejudices against certain ethnicities, poor HR support. You work extremely hard and not smart—your dedication goes unnoticed.

They do not value nor trust there employees that are not of a certain ethnicity. Lots of shady business being done in regards to processes.
Pros
Pay, Pto
Cons
Extremely stressful, bad for your health
Call center
Call Center Representative II (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAMay 17, 2018
I gained a lot of experience here and it opened up a lot of doors, unfortunately not one door within the company itself. Time off request don’t exist here and shift bids are in place. Every 6 months its a shift bid, can be very hard to adjust your schedule that often especially with kids.
Manager is awesome.
But supervisors tend to be very inconsistent.

As far as the company as a whole
Every clinic works differently as well as every department, unfortunately no one is on the same page..
Great corporation
Clinical Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Monte, CA 91731May 14, 2018
AltaMed utilizes your skills to its potential and help you grow to further your career. They also have good benefits, and they help you prepare for retirement regardless of your age.
Pros
Work as team
Cons
Distance, traffic
A company that provides great benefits
Patient Navigator/Care Gap Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boyle Heights, CAMay 14, 2018
this company will provide great benefits but there will also be a great work load. you do find some awesome supervisors that through the company show appreciation for their employees. i only had three different supervisors that showed that to me but they were the best
Pros
wellness program, reward point
Cons
great demand, short staff, numbers mean everything
Great place to work in Health Care
RN Case Management (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAMay 8, 2018
Great place to work in Health Care and staff and management are supportive; on boarding lasted 2-3 days depending on your position; very fast paced programs with emphasis on growth.
Productive and non stressful
CNA/Kitchen aide (Former Employee) –  Huntington Park, CAMay 7, 2018
The day was started off slow with a faster pace throughout the day. Management was clear about what was expected from staff and was made easy to work together as a team.
I learned a loot from working at Altamed.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 2, 2018
When I first finished school, AltaMed gave me a chance and I learned a lot from working there, I got a lot of experience on case management by working side by side with RN's and doctor's.
Pros
Clean, experience
Cons
Small Cubicle