AltaMed Employee Reviews

Not impressed.
RN CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAJanuary 21, 2018
There is a reason WHY there are several openings here. I was not so smart picking up this.... workplace culture is sink or swim. putting out fires. not much on patient focused - just all documentation to satisfy the health plan. this is a salary position. you will work through lunch and stay over 5 more times than not. You are expected to cover your co-workers when they are off on vacation. So imagine being off for 2 weeks- and you have to cover someone. it's a nightmare. You can barely do your own job. You will doing ICT rounds weekly and present at least 6-10 patients a week. Each patient will take at least a day to review and work on your documentation to present (so do the math..this is why you work through lunch and stay late!) The orientation process is despicable. Pretty much learn on your own. If you are coming from the outside not AltaMed - you will have a hard time. the EHR system is NextGen. If you are from AltaMed the transition may be a little better - only partially - because you know the system. I enjoyed working with the case managers. Upper management - not impressed. They are not sympathetic to what you need to be successful as a case manager there- they just want you to make it happen without much support. You need to figure it out NOT management giving you the tools to do your job. You will also be responsible for your LVN and coordinator. So if they mess up- it's on YOU. Who has time for this!! Like I said- you are barely managing you own stuff. They want 1 person for the price of 3 jobs -REALLY??
Professionally, this is not a good place to grow. This place
  more... will not prepare you to work at more developed medical providers like USC, Huntington, Etc...If you are looking for somewhere to be and this is your last resort- You found it.  less
Pros
10 paid holidays. 40-45 hour, PTO 6 hours a month.Medical insurance starts the following month you start, health HMO benefits around $200/mth for family 4, 403b retirement, Flex spending account, Wellness program and gym. Can transfer departments at 6 months.
Cons
This department needs a consultant to re-vamp operations, Needs better hands on training for new staff
Very calm non stressful work place to work in
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 16, 2018
Working at Altamed as a receptionist was one of the best jobs I had, it was calm, very nice environment, and non-stressful job at all. All the coworkers got along and the management was incredible.
stay away from this company
Case Manager RN (Former Employee) –  Commerce caDecember 1, 2017
this has been the worst experience of my entire work career .
medical management/ case management department is horrible . upper is very condescending case management manager belittle staff . they over work you with old back dated case that should have been fix years ago. The case management supervisor audits your charts then laughs at your mistake and to top it off add more cases to you case load. many nurse have spoke about the unfair treatment all for nothing to be resolved. I seen case manager cry in bathroom some have gone on stress leave most have resigned . the turn over rate in this department is unbelievable . the pay is way less that other companies I would not recommend to anyone . such a bad experience here .
Cons
management and supervisors are rude and be little staff
productive
Internship (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 21, 2017
AltaMed offers summer jobs and internship to teenagers who are interested in self growth and who needs money to pay bills. They also interested on helping you out and provide many opportunities.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
temporary job
I wouldn’t recommend working at AltaMed
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Commerce, CAOctober 31, 2017
As a curent employee for AltaMed, I see everything that goes on with management and Senior Executives. It’s horrible. Some can be very disrespectful towards their employees. They lack a sense of what a real supervisor should be and act towards their employees. If you complain against them, they retaliate against you. There’s a lot of relatives that work there and watch out for each other. If you’re not part of their “group” you’re in the outs. You have to have a “yes” mentality at all times, whether you agree or not. It’s very stressful. I’m just here because of the pay.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Management needs training. Long hours, disrespectful executives.
Welcoming, friendly , teamwork oriented
LVN (Current Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAOctober 19, 2017
I'm a current employee and I feel blessed to be with altamed. They really take care of you and there is not a day that goes by that I take it for granted. They give you the proper training you need to be on the floor, benefits are good, pay is fair, the people I work with are like family. The energy is amazing because everyone is so welcoming not just to patients but employees as well. People here have great attitudes. And they will not hesitate to help you if they see you need help.
Pros
Benefits, pay, training, teamwork.
Cons
Busy days
Challenging Environment
Administrative Assistant/Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 17, 2017
AltaMed has a strong family culture that helps to make each employee feel like they are a part of a team that is making a difference. It also has excellent employee benefits!
Pros
Strong mission statement, processes and procedures, driven to excellence
Cons
Competitive environment, extremely fast paced, and a do more with less attitude
Nepotism and Peter Principle Exemplified
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 21, 2017
The organization is biased and run by family members. People are promoted and valued for their "yes" attitude or blood relations. Senior management consist of blood relations to the CEO. Skills and knowledge are not appreciated and those who challenge status quo or bad decision making are ostracized and disciplined/pushed out. Incompetent/unskilled people are promoted based on their personal relationship with management and superficial, passive aggressive attitudes and duplicity/deceitfulness are rewarded. Honesty, transparency, and directness is not appreciated and the work culture is hostile if you do not fall in line with their "stepford" ways.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Senior Management are biased and incompetent and skills and knowledgeable staff are not appreciated.
Fast pace and learning place
LVN Nurse (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 8, 2017
Altamed is a good expanding company been their for 7 years had to go back to school because as a medical Assistant I was not advancing. I became an LVN thankful they gave me that opportunity to start my career as an LVN . Thankful they helped with school. Fast pace clinic I worked in I like their benefits. My manager is awesome wouldn't trade her for no one . If i need extra hours with urgent care I can ask for extra hours and work in that department. Working at altamed I been cross train in many departments from different specialties. I like Altamed I think if be perfect if the pay was like kaiser especially for licensed personal .
Pros
Overtime available
Cons
Pay not good
I loved working for this company
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAAugust 14, 2017
Great place, people, compensation, hours. I loved working for this company. The only reason why I left was due to school hours and I was moving up North.
Productive fun place to work
Configuration Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 1, 2017
I would recoment this company to friends and family I learned a lot while I was there great location freeways tight across the street and lots of food places
Pros
Great location
Cons
Not enough parking
Can be a rewarding career but lacks proper managment
Transportation Coordinator / Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Huntington Park, CAJune 22, 2017
Providing the very best for the participants that are enrolled with Altamed is in itself the most rewarding part of working there. Co-workers are amazing and often times feed off one another to provide the very best.

There is however too much politics in this company. The leadership team is only in it for themselves and do a poor job at promoting hard working staff from within. Often times they hire those who are friends of theres who lack the wisdom to provide true leadership.
Pros
Providing the best for the participants and the benefits the company provides
Cons
Altamed always overlooks and very often times bypasses those that are worthy, deserving of promotion, and always goes with those who lack the fundamentals, and true wisdom that will provide true leadership
Productive Company
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 12, 2017
AltaMed is a good company to work for. The attention and services provided to their senior members is amazing. It was a great experience working for this company.
Float position not ideal
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Float Orange CountyMarch 7, 2017
Good place to work . Float position challenging. Work flow and requirements varied with each clinic, not consistent. Challenging to navigate. FT or PT position sought. Float position became discontinued.
Pros
Float position challenging
Cons
Looking for FT positioon
Fun working with this company
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAFebruary 22, 2017
I had a lot of fun working with this company that grue so much in sauch a little time, I will love to keep working in a great company like this one, I thank everyone that work with me
Pros
Distance
Cons
Great Company
Medical Assistant Back office
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 7, 2016
Greet Patient,
Vital signs
Room Patient
Interview and Review Patients medical History and document on Computer (EHR- Medical records).
Get Patient ready for PA
PA is finished and ready to add Rx or Dx to patient.
For example; If patient needs needs vaccines, Tdap or Depo Shots.
Pros
Permanent employees have the opportunity for advancement
Cons
Getting hired permenant
Altamed Review
Environmental Service Aide II (Current Employee) –  Huntington Park, CAJune 26, 2016
I have been at this company for 3 years and i have reached the highest end of my position and theres no room for growth and advancement.
Pros
work culture, flexibility
Cons
health care benefits
Difficult
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAFebruary 5, 2016
Even though all the AltaMeds should be ran the same, each clinic does their own thing. They train you in one clinic the way it "should" be done, but you get to another clinic, they do things completely different.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Unhealthy Stress
member services (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAJanuary 18, 2016
Member services representatives are under high stress with lots of demands for producing and maintaining goals, while leads, supervisors and managers offer no help, there is also preferential treatment that borders on unfair.
Pros
Life and work balace
Cons
Everything else.
fun workplace
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  los angelesDecember 7, 2015
enjoyed greeting people.
co-workers were very nice and funny.
learned many things from being a receptionist.
case managers loved helping out others
hardest part was trying to help more than 1 person
Pros
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AltaMed. Our community is ready to answer.