Altar'd State
Happiness rating is 55 out of 100

Altar'd State Employee Reviews

United States368 reviews

storestatechristianclothediscountbrandclothingretail

fun working place with great people

Fun, outgoing working environment for younger employees. Everyone got a long and was able to work well together and get things done fast. Its a more down to earth store so work days were not bad unless it was a slow day but working with any co-worker the shift was not bad. Some weeks were very low on hours so you never knew how many you would have.

Poorly ran

The only good thing about working in the wearhouse is the pay. This is the only work place where I've seen pure chaos on a weekly basis and management completely apathetic about it. Unless you're one of the favors you'll be worked like a dog and does matter how hard you work they won't treat you with any respect.

Altar'd State insights

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Work somewhere else

unrealistic expectations, management plays favorites, no work life balance. Critical feedback and no understanding to problems going on in their stores. You run on maybe a two person coverage and get shopped twice a month if you fail you will be fired or get written up. I used to love this company and what it stood for but after my last experience I realized no amount of money is worth your mental health or this much stress.

Pros

Fun people, excellent retail pay, benefits

Cons

Worked to death, no work life balance, constant criticism, unrealistic expectations

Fun workplace

My managers were outstanding. They outlined daily goals at the beginning of the shift so we knew as employees what to focus on. I felt I could talk to my managers and co workers about anything and get good advice.

Messy coworkers

At first all the coworkers seemed nice when I wasn't working there, but I soon realized everyone there was spreading mess about each other. They also pass out write-ups left and right and if management favors you you might get some leniency regarding the policy.

Pros

fair pay, mandatory breaks, employee discount

Cons

toxic environment, no sense of belonging, no feeling of accomplishment at work

Nice fun

Fun but girls can be catty. Management is understanding about important things that come up in life. Work/life balance is great. Its a naive place to work

Guests first, employees always second

The company will ALWAYS put guests first. As an employee you truly are second to them and they make sure you know that. If it’s a guests word against yours such as an issue over a return, item etc. they will always take the guests side and not even listen to yours.

Fast Paced but Rewarding

While the way corporate runs is… interesting, on the sales floor the workplace is great. It has the usual retail pitfalls of the occasional rude customer. However I find that the guests at Altar’d are nicer overall than my other retail jobs. Your experience will really depend on the staff in your specific store so don’t take reviews that seriously

Nothing unless you want to work for nothing

To many Chiefs and not enough Indians Dont Do It! Question if you really want to work for a company that will work you to the bone with no work life balance. Make last min changes and you have to adapt on the fly

Terrible place

Get used to ringing and doing sales associate responsibilities, then having to stay late as a manger to get your work done with no pay. Most people have left. Even the higher ups in corporate. No HR support. Just gossip and they make it worse. Seek other advice. Actually seek another place to work or don’t start. Claim to be a Christian company but their hands would burn if they physically touched the Bible!RUN. FAST

Possibly the Worst Job

During my time at Altar’d, favoritism played a big part amongst management. You’re expected to complete impossible tasks with sometimes only 3 people on the clock and a packed store. You’re expected to be basically a robot as you’re given pointers to get a score of 100 on a mystery shop report. The goal isn’t to provide great customer service but to pass the mystery shop with pointers that are given to you via upper management. They give raises and bonuses often but one time the CEO even told us we have no reason to complain about work conditions considering we’re rewarded. When we were asked to give feedback to corporate, it was highly requested that the mystery shop was to be gotten rid of. Instead the CEO gave us 2 mystery shops per month as opposed to 1 in response. They expect you to be down customers throats and any sale you miss you’re expected to give reasons as to why you’ve missed it.

Overworked and under appreciated

Management hires those who look a certain way. Acts like there is a ton of opportunities for community based volunteer hours but there is not. No room for advancements and constant turnover

Pros

Pay is okay

Cons

Not enough hours to make pay worth it

Challenging and rewarding

A company that's great for giving back and pays its leaders well.There are definitely high expectations and a lot to be accomplished on a day to day basis. This can sometimes be extra stressful and you are pretty much expected to stay until the tasks are completed. As a result I often felt over-extended. The pay is great and the company makes an effort for its employees to make a good living. However you will definitely work for it so be mentally prepared for that. Overall a great place but very demanding.

Pros

Company values, Mission Monday, pay, great people to work with

Cons

Long hours, unrealistic expectations, lack of appreciation

productive

Can be fast paced, & often communication issues with upper management, and unrealistic expectations. Coworkers & customers are mostly great, including great employee discount.

Alright Experience

Overall an alright experience. Loved working on visual merchandising.Expectations were out of reach.Pay was awful.Loved the people I worked with as family.

toxic culture

My time at AS was toxic & draining. It started to take a toll on my personal life. False promises, never good enough results, toxic upper management..

Fast-paced and high expectations

this was one of my favorite jobs that I’ve ever worked at I love the fast-paced environment and I love customer service and working with people and making people feel happy however something to carry with you is that the managers here have no work life balance a lot of the managers give off the impression that work is there life and they often put that on the employees unless you know how to deal with it already or you can adjust the managers and the unrealistic expectations that they have is what will ruin it for you

Beware

There’s a reason the pay is far outside and above the industry norm. You will be working long hours with little support to earn it. They preach work/life balance, faith and giveback, but it’s all a front, and it starts from the CEO down to all the DLs. The stress is not worth the amount of money they throw at you.

Pros

Compensation, maternity leave

Cons

Everything else

It’s good for what it is

If you enjoy working retail, then sure you’ll like working here. I was assigned the back room where I was able to organize and be alone while I worked. The management didn’t stay around long enough for me to have an opinion of them so I can’t say much there. It’s not the worst place to work but my specific location was in a really nice part of town so when I did work the floor I couldn’t stand being treated like garbage by the guest.

Don’t do it

This company is terrible. The upper management is disgusting. They provide no praise, coaching, or training. Most of them don’t even know how to operate in store duties. They expect way too much in such a short amount of time. If you don’t complete one small task out of the other NUMEROUS tasks, you will hear about it and it won’t be nice. They set you up for failure, they’re money driven, and do not care about you as a human being. You are just a number.

Pros

Friendships

Cons

management, cult-like, disrespectful, mean, unrealistic, money-hungry

What can I say?

Was a good job at first. Everyone got along, and actually had fun at work. Then the management totally changed all that.They instituted a policy called T.U.G. which stand for true,useful or good. Basically you weren't allowed to say anything at work that wasn't true,useful or good. I was actually let go for coming in one day and telling my coworkers I was hungover and the religious music they blare through the speaker was driving me crazy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Altar'd State. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
2.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight