Altar'd State Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Amazing company to work for
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2018
I love the company
love the customers and the ability to help people
Hardest part is not having the ability to have a flexible schedule. Sometimes being a salary manager i feel that we are over worked, especially during the heavy task weeks.
Cons
shirt breaks, long days.
Rewarding Place to Work
Corporate Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Maryville, TNJuly 7, 2018
I have been fortunate to work for Altar'd State for the last few years.

The work is challenging but is rewarding. The company give back is impressive and the company leaders truly believe in their mission.

The company has allowed me to progress in my chosen career field. They stress empowerment and want their employees to be empowered to make decisions.

Working for Altar'd State is not for everyone. You must be willing to put in the long hours and to do your share to help make the company a success. If you do you will be rewarded.
Pros
Take your dog to work; young energetic company
Great Company
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJune 22, 2018
I love this company. I do feel that the Mission of the brand is So lost in upper Management (DM/VDM) and so sad to see happen.

Thankful that I had the opportunity to work with some great people and guest.

They will work you to death, If your single and have no life out side of work then this is for you.

I know I can open my own store and work just as hard, but get paid for it.

Love the give back!!

The day to day, It's like most retailers, But you'll get paid less to work for them and work 50-70 hours per week.

Love the owners and the company mission!! There's a big breakdown from Home Office to Store Level. must be fixed.
Pros
Give Back/Company Mission
Cons
Dm/vdm
Horrible place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2018
Altar'd state is by far the worst company to work for if you are in management. You are required to work 50-60 hour weeks with being paid salary so only getting paid for 40 hours a week for an assistant manager. You're lunch breaks are none existent and expected to inhale your food and get back out on the sales floor. You DON’T get any support from your district managers. There is ZERO work/life balance. You pretty much eat, breath and sleep altard state if you even have enough time to get to sleep before having to be back for your next shift. If you decide to leave for a better opportunity, the DMs will strong arm you and work the life out of you. Your vacation time is total up to the DMs due to the simple faced that HR / Payroll has nothing to do with it like a normal company.
productive and fun workplace
Brand Representative (Current Employee) –  Friendswood, TXJune 11, 2018
Working at Altar'd State has made me grow as an individual. A typical workday at Altar'd State begins with and closing duties that didn't get finished the previous day including (pushing go-backs back out on to the floor). I have learned how to connect with customers on a personable level and also how to make their shopping experience with us the best they have ever had in their life.
The management teams at altar'd state are very reasonable and understanding and most of the time put your priorities first before theirs.
The workplace culture at Altar'd State is very Christian oriented.
Pros
Competitive pay and benefits
A Special Place to Work
Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXJune 11, 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Altar'd State. It wasn't my dream job but that doesn't mean I didn't still have good experiences working there. I was given the opportunity to learn about the retail industry and to help people, which I love. Some days I would come home exhausted! But on the days when I was able to truly help someone, I felt like I had accomplished something, not only for them, but for myself too. I would definitely recommend working at Altar'd State to someone who is a little lost and wants somewhere to work where they can feel at home.
Great mission
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  TXJune 7, 2018
Wonderful cause and mission, kept you busy everyday, not ever a dull moment, beautiful window and in-store displays, likes to hire many people for holidays
Inflexible Schedule
Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 5, 2018
My number one problem with Altar'd State is their inability to schedule people correctly. This was the first place I have ever worked that had "on-call" shifts. This is just an example of bad management. A lot of times I would be called in for a 4-5 hour shift for shipment, and only work 1-2 hours and be told to leave without pay for the 4-5 hour shift that I had expected to work.
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 22, 2018
I looked forward to work everyday. I enjoyed the environment, people at the workplace, and heartwarming story behind the company and their volunteer work monthly.
Faith Based Company with Customer first mindset
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 14, 2018
A lot of extra work that is unnecessary but as a newer company they have not learned what core tasks will run a business. Customer focused to be top rated company, puts customers ahead of everything. Recruits top talent but under compensates.
Summary
Visual Captain and Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 11, 2018
Responsible for aesthetics, product placement, and color scheme for Natural Life products
and other clothing items and décor as well as general retail sales
- Consistently exceeded sales goals and effectively resolved customer and associate disputes
and complaints
Learning Opportunity but Do Not Recommend
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXMay 5, 2018
A typical day at work was about 4-5 hours of helping customers achieve their clothing styles. I was able to run the floor by myself as well as help in the dressing rooms.

During this job I learned that the customer is the main priority as a sales associate. I learned a few business principles and how to communicate properly as well as multi-task.

Overall the culture of this place depends on the people who work there. During my time there, the culture there was tense and stressed as well as disrespectful and not on task.

The sales associates position was the most enjoyable part of the job. I enjoyed helping individuals in the dressing room by retrieving clothes and accessories they need as well as put away and organize the clothes they disregarded.
Pros
Money
Cons
Very different than other retail experience.
Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAApril 16, 2018
Very proud of their store and company, may have high and unrealistic expectations for the retail business and or process. This can be interpreted as a good or bad thing. I only worked with them for a short amount of time.
poor upper managment
Visual Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHApril 13, 2018
Very poor upper managment and they always used an excuse that they were a new company and they're almost 10 years old. They over worked you for a little salary.
Pros
christian company that gives back
Cons
over worked you for so little
Bad management
Brand Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 10, 2018
I worked there for 6 months, with avaliability every day. On a lucky week, I got 5 hours. On a regular week, I did not even get sent the schedule. When I would ask one of the managers to send it to me, I would either be completely ignored or get a "we do not have many hours so you're not actually on the schedule" response. The job itself was enjoyable, I was in an environment with girls who loved Jesus like I do, and around a lot of nice clothing, jewelry, and home decor, but the hours and the management only made me loathe the whole place. The hardest part of the job was how the mall would close at 9 and the shift didn't end until 11, so closing shift jobs were forced and difficult. What I enjoyed most about the job was being in an atmosphere that I loved in general. In addition to being poor at communication, the management was very "you go do all of this work while I sit in the back office and watch The Office and eat my dinner" about things. They only cared whether the job got done, as long as they didn't have to do it.
Pros
40% discount on clothes, 25% discount on accessories and home
Cons
Hours, management, 2 hour closing shift
Inovative views
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Tysons Corner, VAApril 5, 2018
Innovating views on retail
Fresh styles
Lots of options
Fit for all ages (moms, daughters)
Religion based
Items for all family including pets at home.
Horrible place to work
Brand Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 2, 2018
Hugh turn over rate for management and staff in general, worked long hours with very little break time. Each manager that came in tried to change everything and everyone was open minded about it but then they would quit and we would have to start a new routine with a different manager.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, long hours, not flexible, management keeps changing, hostile work environment
Great work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Crestview Hills, KYMarch 23, 2018
the environment and staff was amazing. the benefits of working there were always great. the atmosphere truly made you happy and the customers were amazing as well
beautiful store, terrible management and owners
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 19, 2018
I worked there for about 6 months, had 2 different managers and 2 different regional managers. During time without a manager, I was the acting manager and was never compensated for the role change. This went on for almost 3 months. I tried to take a couple vacation days after months of working 50+ hours a week and was denied. I was not paid for unused vacation time.
Pros
christian company, beautiful store with great products, christian music
Cons
management is terrible, high demands with little to show, late nights doing floor resets way too often.
Bigger than myself
Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayette MallMarch 9, 2018
It’s a great place to come and work that I can feel accomplished not only in my professional life, but in my personal life; helping other locally all the way to internationalal giveback.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Altar'd State. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight