Altman Specialty Plants Employee Reviews for Merchandiser

Featured review
Altman Specialty Plants selected this as a representative review
On the road
Sales/Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Salinas, CAMarch 21, 2019
You are merchandising plants onto garden center tables while setting your own hours. Being on the road heading to the next store is the hardest part as well as now having corporate orders sent in instead of creating orders at store level.
Great place to work, great people, great management.
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 4, 2019
I love my job with Altman. The people are great. Management is great. They respect the work/life balance. I would recommend Altmans as an employer to anyone.
Pros
Work/life balance, great people great management.
Cons
No complaints
Lackluster company
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 28, 2019
This is a company with many negatives and only a few pros. Management is deceitful, condescending, and will have no qualms throwing you under the bus or blaming you for an issue. (That they likely directed you to do, then covered their tracks). Promotion is unlikely unless you play teachers pet with the RSM. The culture is very divisive. If you are not part of the select few of the ''in" crowd, you will be stuck in a rut.

Communications are terrible, logistics are subpar. Upper management pontificates a snide air of greatness, despite being incompetent. Management is disrespectful to underlings in general.

Pros-
You will come across an employee or 2 who works their tail off in spite of the bull stuff
Hours are plentiful if you need then.

Cons-
Pay isnt competitive within industry
Favortisim
Top-down culture of disrespect and being condescending.
Terrible planning, logistics, correspondence etc.
Botanical knowledge is not a priority, and is even frowned upon in some circumstances.
Ok
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXNovember 14, 2018
I really loved working at Altman Plants.. They hold you back.. if something goes wrong and it's not your fault you have to take the fall for it.. I don't believe in claiming something that you have no control over and holding back a hardworking person from getting what they are working so hard to achieve
Pros
Laid back
Productive And fun environment
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 5, 2018
Fun and productive work environment. Heavy lifting at times. Fast paced and not a lot of standing around. Which is fine with me because the day goes by fast.
Great Company
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 3, 2015
It was very nice to work for them seasonally. I would work for them again any day. The hours were good and so was the pay. I liked working at the Home Depot Stores and communication was decent.
productive, physically challenging day with lots of exercise, and smelling the roses!
Plant Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  TXMay 6, 2015
I start out my day by walking the garden center, watering the plants where needed, standing and walking, crouching, reaching and merchandising beautiful plants everyday. I report to managers on duty and insure they are happy with my job performance, interact with staff and customers on a daily basis and just have fun answering questions about our products, advising on plant placements,explaining the differences of annuals and perenials. The hardest part of my job is bringing in the racks to the garden center, I must pull between 6-13 racks twice a week and it can be tricky when we are having bad weather because the garden center closes its outdoor gates and I have to bring the racks through the front entrance, but the best part is merchandising all that color! I am an avid gardener and always dreamed of working with plants and I am loving it!
Pros
I don't have to go to a gym, I walk between 5-8 miles daily at this job
Cons
bad weather makes it a little difficult, but than I love the outdoors.