Altman Specialty Plants Pay & Benefits reviews

Featured review
Altman Specialty Plants selected this as a representative review
On the road
Sales/Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Salinas, CAMarch 21, 2019
You are merchandising plants onto garden center tables while setting your own hours. Being on the road heading to the next store is the hardest part as well as now having corporate orders sent in instead of creating orders at store level.
Worst company ever
District Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 17, 2018
Do not work here if you have a family. They dont care and absolutely will let yoy go without notice. Horrible company to raise a family with. Must be single and have no life.
hard work, lots of hours
Welder/Repairman/forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Vista, CADecember 14, 2018
My particular job was something that interested me, and my manager was a good guy who looked out for us, but that is definitely not the case with other sections under different supervision. A standard work day was anywhere from 10-12 hours long with a half hour unpaid lunch break. Its usually a six day work week so work pretty much becomes your life
Pros
Decent pay, outside all day
Cons
Long hours, poor management depending on department
It was fun working there but Management sucked
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXDecember 13, 2018
They were a great company to work for until people started getting fired and they switched around management. The job is fairly easy although management is always breathing down your neck and being nit picky. Almost from the very beginning I feared that I’d be let go due to witnessing how they let so many people go all the time. There’s no job security whatsoever. The Home Depot’s were a pleasure to work with and the staff was very helpful and courteous in all my needs. I would recommend working here but don’t plan on staying for too long unless you become one of their favorites. They work you to death for the small salary and basic benefits, telling you that you work whatever hours necessary in order to complete your job. My days consisted of 12hr days and wouldn’t get home till late in the evening and STILL have to do more work such as emails, inventory, etc. etc. There’s no compensation for mileage and traveling. They bother you on your days off and are always blowing up your phone about something. You can’t even enjoy your holidays because they’re always calling or texting. If you do work here I would recommend being hourly that way you get the most for your time and work.
Pros
Benefits, learn some beneficial skills
Cons
Management sucks, doesn’t compensate for traveling, work you to death, no job security, favoritism
dont waste your time
Sales Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 25, 2018
Working at altman plants has been a complete disappointment. i applied because i love plants and thought this job would be perfect for me. I got absolutely no training at all. my boss got absolutely no training at all because nobody knows what they are doing. they expect you to drive to other peoples stores more than an hour away And not compensate you for gas to fix them because they are too lazy to show up to work or do the work and they wont get in trouble but you will get yelled at in front of everyone because one of your tags were facing crooked. they are not flexible for scheduling and will make you come in no matter what the weather to wait for a truck that might not show up. they dont care how good of a job you do if you mess up one time its they will act like you are the worst employee ever. Dont expect any praise or advancement because no matter what they say they dont promote from within and hire outside people to be your boss who have no experience because it is so hard to keep people in your position because it sucks so bad and they fire people for stupid stuff. this has been the case for them everywhere i have been. they dont care about you and they dont even try to hide it. unless you are totally desperate dont waste your time. otherwise have fun working in rain sleet snow hail or 110° weather and have fun with the 15 hour days and then getting yelled at because you have too much overtime (even though it wasnt your choice) and threatening to fire you because customers bought all of the hanging baskets and you didnt re fill them because you ran out. OH YEAH and  more... being bullied by all of the home depot employees you have to work with because they HATE merchandisers and always try to make you do home depots job. AND they signed me up for insurance i didnt sign anything for against my will and won't refund me even though i didnt sign up. and the direct deposit they never do right and youll get your check almost a week late EVERYTIME. just dont do it if you value your life. for real. just don't.  less
Pros
haha
Cons
un organized, not fair, no compensation, hours, opportunity, job security
labor intensive, high pace work environment
Sales merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Vista, CAAugust 9, 2018
-Early start, sweeping, merchandising,watering plants,trimming plants, and building product displays.

-I learned how to work by myself while staying motivated and keeping my eye on daily objectives.

-The hardest part about this job is having to deal with dangerous merchandise such as large cactus and thorny shrubs.
Pros
work outside
Cons
inconsistent work schedule, No milage compensation
negative
Lowe's Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Vista, CAJuly 20, 2018
Low moral, poor supervision, too competitive. Too negative, good hours. Flexible hours can get off early. Good benefits, poor hourly wage- not even too support myself.
Pros
hours
Cons
negative
Needs work
Senior Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAJuly 17, 2018
Make sure you do your home work before you accept a position here. No employee reviews, wages do not match market value and management is under staffed.
Pros
decent pay but there are better places to work for more
Cons
do not recognize hard work. Poor planning, poor aging facilities, lacking communications.
Lay off allot of locals for h2a immigrant workers.
Grower (Former Employee) –  Peyton, COMarch 19, 2018
Poor leaders who don't speak English at all, 10 hour days 6 days a week, no overtime, not much opportunity for advancement or a raise, also they lay off locals for Mexican migrant workers.
Pros
Interesting job
Cons
Management, pay, hours
Work and pay compensation
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Peyton, COJanuary 13, 2018
You bust your hump and after x amount of hrs you earn a percentage of an hour of vacation (ex. 160hrs= 1/2hr of vacation) also in a pay period of 2 weeks working 180+ hrs is only straight time NO OVERTIME PAID. During high grow season they bring in immigrants, work them into the ground and ship them back. It is very political and the former owner back from when the plant was colorstar, still works there and has been robbing the new owners blind, taking from them things, gas and plants that he would fire you for immediately for taking when he owned it. If you want to be a slave then it's the best place to work and be disrespected, unappreciated, and discriminated.
Pros
Cons
Altman supervisors
Great Company but no longer in business
Brand Management/Social Media (Former Employee) –  Venice, FLDecember 13, 2017
Floragem was a sister company of Altman Specialty Plants. Training was always great. Management was professional and flexibility of schedule for family/health leave was wonderful. Compensation matches the work load. Unfortunately, Floragem is no longer since they only had one contract with a big box store that cut the contract.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits, Vacation, Flexibility
good work place
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAApril 25, 2017
its a good environment the only reason i left this job is i wouldnt have any more family time long hours other then that everyone there is freindly and
Pros
good pay rate
Great Company
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXOctober 3, 2015
It was very nice to work for them seasonally. I would work for them again any day. The hours were good and so was the pay. I liked working at the Home Depot Stores and communication was decent.