Altru Health System Employee Reviews

Toxic laboratory environment
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDSeptember 12, 2018
The laboratory is a very top-down, ruled by an iron fist culture which controls employees through fear and lack of information. Staffing is horrendously short and is doomed to remain as such because the lab is very hostile to newcomers. Bullying and abuse among staff is commonplace. A wide disparity in age exists among staff and is the product of a long-standing culture of ageism with older techs and management treating young techs as children, and then being surprised when their younger colleagues leave after a year or two of being treated like garbage. Annual reviews are largely based on gossip passed to management by the resident tattle-tales. Pay is very low, especially for the stress level of the environment. Communication is very poor. I would strongly advise anyone I care about to seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
none.
Horrible
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDSeptember 5, 2018
If you want to be over worked and unpaid this is the place for you. Management is horrible and is never around when you need them. They don't care about the staff.
bias and favortism rule supreme!
NURSING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDAugust 5, 2018
Altru as a whole isn't terrible, but most of the unit managers have a select few "favorites" who are immune or exempt from most of the rules and policies. It's a very nepotistic work environment.
Loved my position & Building
Registration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDAugust 1, 2018
A typical work day the department(s) would see roughly 90+ patients on the clinic side and additional patients on the retail side. I learned that being the first person a patient sees when they walk in, will make a lasting impression. You never know just how their visit is going to end up, or why they are at your department.
We were going through a transition time, from one type of managing to another. While change is difficult, and some do not adjust well to change, it was great and our building manager and supervisor were very understanding with the workflow and processes we had in place. The hardest part of the job is that it is a very demanding job. Patients will come in even if there is a blizzard and the office is open. If providers are out, you have patients to reschedule (it may be last minute and these patients may be traveling from hours away), at times, there was no coverage for co-worker's appointments and it was difficult for many to get time off when they requested it.
The most enjoyable part about the job is the interaction with regular patients that knew you by name and would always smile when they saw you, working with the same people daily and having a fun work atmosphere. Definitely miss it!
Pros
Discounts, Friendly Co-workers & Supervisors and Managers, Lasting friendships
Cons
Benefits packages for family is costly, added expense for spouses if they were offered healthcare too
September 17, 2018

Thank you for providing your feedback! We appreciate your honesty.

Very busy and rewarding environment
Receptionist Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJuly 30, 2018
Great company to work for. Very busy department. On a regular day we had over 80 patients to check in and manage phones at the same time. Hardest part of it is lack of physicians to accommodate the great need of patient's care.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
always understaff
Most horrible place to work
Nanny (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJuly 24, 2018
The racism in this hospital is outrageous.I pray God strike those racist in there and teach them He own the earth.Patient care here is zero ,very unsafe place to work that I won’t recommend my sick goat to go there .All they care about is money .horrible place to work I wish another hospital is built in this area if not this hospital will kill this community
Worst Company Ever
Health Unit Coordinator/ Telemetry Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, ND 58201June 5, 2018
Horrible, disengaged management. Inconsistent policies & rules. High turnover. More travelers than regular employees. Very low pay. Childish coworkers
Pros
Self scheduling
Cons
Everything else
Overall
Student Nurse Intern (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMay 31, 2018
Out of touch management. Lots of travel nurses. Some units have very unsafe staffing for nursing ratios. Plan to have new hospital built in a few years
fun
Infusion RN (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMay 7, 2018
I felt I mattered at this company. This was a smaller company/health system but it was noticeable. I was treated will respect and I enjoyed going to work everyday.
Everyone was there for the best interest of the patients.
Mammographer (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDApril 7, 2018
I did not fit in well with the social atmosphere of the department. Seniority was not supposed to exist, but it always did. Strong personalities in the department.
Pros
Fair pay and benefits
Cons
Difficult work environment
Poor management
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDMarch 2, 2018
The management don't care about the employees. They just stab u in the back. They work the good employees so hard. Always short handed. And the raises are horrible. Always have favorites.
March 7, 2018

Hello, I am very sorry to hear of your poor experience. Would you be interested in speaking to someone in Human Resources? We value your honest feedback. If you would like to provide your feedback directly, we can be reached at 701.780.5107. Thank you.

Management Poor and Communication awful
Patient Access Float (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDFebruary 28, 2018
Would constantly be put to different departments each day, however communication was not clear and concise with what needed to be done. Information changed within each department constantly, and every single employee admitted they didn't know much of what they were doing and were just "winging it".
March 7, 2018

Hello, We value your feedback. Would you be willing to share more information with us directly? Human Resources can be reached at 701.780.5107. Thank you!

Poor management
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDFebruary 28, 2018
Management said work comes before family. Department has some coworkers that back stab, look into charts to see if their coworkers did their job which breaks the “only look into charts for need to know”. Turns on the tears when they are talked to and act “stressed out” so that nothing ever happened to them. Their attitudes are terrible and not willing to stretch their capabilities to help others YET they are rewarded and given pats on the backs. Good people have left recently because of them yet this childish display continues. Very sad and morally disappointing.
The other department I worked at - complete opposite!! Loved Same Day Surgery!!
Pros
It was a paycheck
Cons
Everything else
Overall great place to work
RN, Certified Diabetes Educator (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDFebruary 26, 2018
I worked in several capacities with this organization. I enjoyed them all. Great co workers. Pay could be a little better for RN's. Nurse to patient ratio was also not ideal.
Pros
great company and coworkers
Cons
poor pay, unsafe nurse to patient ratios
March 7, 2018

Thank you for leaving your five-star review and honest feedback. We appreciate it!

Cut-throat workplace with entrenched culture of laziness and scraping by.
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDFebruary 23, 2018
Altru as a healthsystem is well known among the community for poor public relations. Management is very out of touch on how patient care is actually conducted, and the focus of any protocol changes are to look good on paper rather than ease the burden on floor staff. Pay is moderate to low depending on position. Ingrained culture of doing the bare minimum to get by with few people willing to help one another.
March 7, 2018

I am very sorry you feel this way. Would you be interested in sharing more of your feedback via a phone call? We can be reached at 701.780.5107. We value your honest review. Thank you.

great
Patient Access Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDFebruary 18, 2018
Altru is a great place to work at, people are professional and very helpful with anything you need help with. they are the most professional people, people from all around the world
March 7, 2018

Thanks so much for leaving your review. We certainly appreciate it!

great place to work
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDFebruary 4, 2018
Altru is a great hospital with great staff that welcomes you. I learned a new medications machine. The management was great and work hard to make you feel at home.The hardest part about the job was having a new team every shift and having to learn new patient each night. They also don't break up the difficult patient but will assign them to one nurse. The most enjoyable part of the job was just meeting new nurses and seeing a new way to do certain things
Pros
great sch, 8 hrs shift
Cons
working with different patient every night
March 7, 2018

Thanks so much for leaving this review! We appreciate you sharing your experience.

Altru is a wonderful place to work and highly respected in the community of Grand Forks, ND
Physician Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJanuary 29, 2018
I enjoy working with people and feeling that I am contributing in helping patients/customers. The work environment I enjoy is one that is positive, helpful, efficient and constructive in accomplishing goals and meeting high quality standards. I like to stay busy and help others when needed.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
started to get unstable with so many layoffs
March 7, 2018

Thanks so much for leaving your honest review. We appreciate it.

Easygoing, fast paced
Environmental Services/Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJanuary 10, 2018
Easygoing days and fast paced work. Good for first case of benefits I needed before marriage, great hours for me. Some co workers are friendly and welcoming so making friends was quick
Pros
Lunch on site, discounts around town
Cons
Short breaks, management lacks, comaraderie lacks
March 7, 2018

Thank you for leaving your review of Altru Health System! We appreciate it.

Wonderful staff and hospital
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJanuary 2, 2018
At times very stressful (I worked mostly in the ICU). Loved working with the nurses and administrative staff! My hours fluctuated too much and it was very hard to make plans with my husband.
March 7, 2018

Thank you very much for leaving your honest review. We appreciate it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Altru Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss