Alverno Clinical Laboratories Employee Reviews in Hammond, IN

Good place for growth
Anatomical Pathology Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INMay 13, 2019
The company offered many opportunities to advance within the company and offered the appropriate training and courses to become certified for certain positions.
Great company to work for if you plan to advance
Manger (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INDecember 21, 2018
I have worked for Alverno for many years and have had opportunities for advancement due to working hard. Alverno has helped my advancement with their lucrative tuition assistance program. Alvenro is a strong diverse organization that is always promoting patient care and employee satisfaction and is a great company to be a part of.
Pros
Benefits, 401K, Tuition Assitance, Work Place Culture
Cons
Hours due to being in health care 24/7
Management and coworkers
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INOctober 12, 2018
I love working with my coworkers great team work and great supervisor and coordinator. We all help each other. The supervisor and coordinator help when needed are flexible on schedules and are willing to work with you.
Stressful environment
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INSeptember 23, 2018
Working on midnights and being in charge of peoples specimen and being required to move as quickly as possible with no mistakes is a lot to ask of people with little to no help.
Pros
45 min breaks
Cons
midnights
Loved working without supervision
Phlebotomist/clerk (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INJune 2, 2018
Worked all over. Peds pre surgery floors icu oncology. Nursery . Got specimens for pick up ready. Clerk prepared pick up for morning run. Did phlebotomy per Dr orders
Pros
Good lunches
Cons
Management changes poor pick
Workday
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INMarch 26, 2018
You come in, set up your station, and get straight to work.

If sitting down not being able to move, this is the perfect job for you.

If your used to moving and doing various tasks on your feet, this is not the job for you.
Pros
45 Min break
Cons
Long hours of sitting
Not enough money, managers kind of rude.
Histology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INNovember 15, 2017
I liked working there, but the pay wasn't great and the manager wasn't very personable.Not very approachable.I loved my co-workers, but management was bad.
Okay to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INOctober 3, 2017
I worked at night.
Did what was asked
Okay
Working nights
Diverse
Hard of job nothing
Enjoy not dealing with traffic
I learned on the job
I dont ratewhere I work
outpatinet lab
Data Entry in Soft Lab and Epic (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INMay 30, 2017
I enjoyed my job as a phlebomist. I worked with all ages. Drawing blood and making sure all blood specimens were drawn right for testing. I also used soft and epic data entry.
Productive and Professional
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INFebruary 15, 2017
I have learned a lot in a short amount of time. They are willing to train and train and keep their employees full of knowledge.
Pros
clean work enviromnent
Cons
short breaks
Awesome place to work if you are new to the laboratory
Tracking Specialist-Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INNovember 16, 2016
Great place to serve as a stepping stone in the laboratory. Be ready to work hard and learn. The training is pretty good and you will have help with whatever you need. Everyone was really open to show you the ropes.
Pros
Awesome Co workers, benefits, pay
Cons
No windows, Cult like environment
Alverno Labs is a great experience for me because I get learn more about different test being ran and resulted also learning a lot about the machines
Processing data entry clerk (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INOctober 18, 2016
I enjoy working at Alverno labs . Meeting new people that are willing to help when needed. The bosses are nice and very good at their job. I have no complaints. Would just like more money for what we do.
Pros
Great workers
Cons
A lot of work but under paid
drama just not worth it
Microbiology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INJuly 30, 2016
this place is a joke. A co-Workers interviewed there and management was talking badly about employees and facility on interview. Co worker asked " if i were to go up to an employee what would they say about working here" and management replied " they would probably say they hate it"; Completely unprofessional.
Fair place for entry level experience
Lab Assistant/Technician (Current Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 24, 2016
Do not mind working for any place were favoritism does not play a role and practiced by unprofessional management!
The best part I like about the job is gaining the experience. Despite the fact of a very tiring rotating shifts.
Pros
Education Assistant Program
Cons
Short staffed most of the time
Over worked and under paid, don't work in any clinical lab
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INMarch 11, 2016
The Sister's of St.Francis once a Catholic organization with a goal of helping the sick and the poor is like all other Greedy Cheap Catholic managed hospitals and laboratories. They treat you as though your not a professional and they pay you as little as they can and work you like a dog. I know people who have left the job went home ,sat on the couch and died from being worked so hard. The retirement and health benefits are better in education. Working for this organization is like being in a classroom with a crazy Catholic nun and you will find them managing HR,lab, and administration beware of the pit falls of laboratory work. I would not let my dog work for this company as a watch dog.
Pros
Gain experience and run for your life.
Cons
That feeling of the evil nun behind you with a paddle.
Productive place to work.
Phlebotomist Tech II (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INFebruary 10, 2016
Working for this company was a great experience, i enjoyed the environment. and the coworkers i worked with in the emergency department.
Best job ever!
Phlebotomist/Histology Tech Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INOctober 5, 2015
Loved this job my co workers were awesome. My supervisors where always very supportive. My advancement was great there. I was about to make great money and advanced to Lead Tech.
Pros
Meeting diffrent people
Cons
No Cons!
Nice place to work.
Histotechnologist II (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INJuly 30, 2015
Need to rotate all histotech duties so that all techs can stay abreast of their skills. It would be better that all shift workers be cross-trained.
Horrible!!!!!!!!!!
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INMay 15, 2015
This company is more reactive than proactive. The don't care about the health of there workers, they show favoritism, and management is terrible. They just put band-aids over huge issues and take it out on the workers. The coworkers are helpful in keeping people sane, but some do stir the pot. I voluntary left after a series of events that just brought me to the edge. They were prompt about discipline, complaints, sending notice about termination of employment, and closing my access to pay stubs. However, they conveniently forget to pay me my last check and cash out my PTO.
Pros
Job security because people are getting fed up and leaving
Cons
Aren't enough words..........
Company that does not follow its own values
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Former Employee) –  Hammond, INApril 28, 2015
The only reason Job Security is high is because people keep leaving in droves. This is the core lab in Hammond, not one of the hospitals. People think that they are hiring into a reference lab but, in the desire to make as much money as possible, the upper management continually makes special deals with individual doctor's offices to put their work ahead of everyone else's. There are over 30 hospitals and up to 2,000 doctors' offices utilizing this lab. While most hospital systems that operate Urgent Cares keep techs on site, Alverno has moved all of the testing (STAT testing) to the core lab. So, on top of processing thousands of samples a day, we were expected to remember which doctor got special treatment and also to prioritize the STATs that came in from our Urgent Cares.

I keep in touch with my former co-workers, because they really do care about the patients, but all sound beaten down. Some have had serious health issues that many of us felt were aggravated by the treatment the staff received (literally examples: stroke, heart attacks, coming to work SAME DAY AS CHEMO TREATMENT). And when things inevitably fail because a process was pushed through too fast or the turn around time was impossible - the employees take the blame and we were told that we just didn't have a positive attitude, or, better yet: "Don't you care that the doctors and patients get their results on time?" We preferred that the results were correct.

When it comes to promotions, some people get the promotion they really deserve, buy many do not. There is also a lot of hiring of friends
  more... and family in the core lab. Even if those employees are not within the same department of each other, it puts into question as to whether they truly were the best applicant for the job.  less
Pros
My former co-workers. They really are great people.
Cons
The toxic working environment.