Alzheimer's Association Employee Reviews

Very Positive Team - Not-For-Profit
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INSeptember 24, 2018
I was assigned to work for the Alzheimer's Organization for 9 weeks. This was to be for 3 days/week (6 hours each day). After the first 2 days, I was highly praised and asked to work 4 days/week. The following week I was praised again and all employees were extremely warm and inviting.

The office was on a "mission" for their annual awareness walks throughout the state. My job was as a customer service rep, where I contacted all team leaders re upcoming events, etc.

Every day my supervisor met with me briefly or left my work for me (a list of the upcoming events). When I started this position, everything I needed was at my desk and the computer was ready for me to start (this had not been the case at previous jobs). So, this was very much appreciated.

As the weeks rolled by, I got to meet other staff and they ALL were absolutely wonderful! If there were a position open in this office, I would love to have it...but, my position was only for 9 weeks...
Pros
Own office, warm and friendly staff
Cons
None.
Making a difference
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 16, 2018
Employees very dedicated to the mission of the organization and supporting each other. They truly care about the community and offer numerous community programs.
Pros
Full time is under 40hrs a week, very balanced work life, extremely collaborative, great pto package
Cons
Cigna health care is the worse, low pay, raises are merit based off randomly set goals from the national office.
Productive and Himanatarian
Program Assistant Intern (Current Employee) –  West Allis, WISeptember 16, 2018
Great organization dedicated to their cause...bringing an end to the disease known as Alzheimer's.

I work as an Intern Title V older adult. That's why do do not rate their benefits
Pros
Great team of workers
Cons
Npne
Good staff and hard-workers but very poor management.
Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2018
I don't typical writer reviews but my 2 years here have been so rocky. When i started I felt I was making a difference and helping people. Then through time they became more and more strict on what we can do and what we can say. Then as I attempted to shift and address the requirements of the job, I was told I wasn't helping the clients.

The mixed messages and poor management, combined with 0 possibility for advancement or developing on the job new skills make me not want to stay here.
Pros
Flexible, good staff, nice working space, and nice benefits.
Cons
Poor department and direct supervision, no advancement, and no appreciation for hard-work.
Toxic, passive-aggressive management
Health Educator (Former Employee) –  OhioDecember 9, 2018
Management team has been there for 20 years and has no clue about how to manage because they've never worked anywhere else. Lots of favoritism here. Those who are non-management are all 20-somethings who do not know any other culture because they've never worked anywhere else and literally think the toxic passive aggressive management style is the norm. Horrible experience with a program director who has zero clue how to direct people much less programs and leads by gaslighting and toxicity. Human resources manager himself played games on his phone during meetings and made disparaging remarks about coworkers in virtual locations during tele-meetings. They tout diversity and inclusion but this place is anything but. NOT a good place to work.
Pros
Cons
management
Salary was not conducive to what is being asked.
Family Case Consultant (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 17, 2018
The salary does not match the cost of living. Of course this is not a job that you expect to be paid a six figure income, however, one should not be having issues making ends meet as well when you are being asked to work extended hours, travel in your personal vehicle and not really being compensated for it. Also lack of room for advancement along with being expected to be familiarize with all facets of the disease with poor education training does not help.
Very competitive
Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 11, 2018
Competitive environment.
Great benefits, good culture, very demanding with high expectations. minimal on-site training for computer applications and programs utilized within organization. Annual incentives.
Good organization with a very important purpose. Diverse staff including older and younger. Managers are good or bad depending on who you report to.
Freelance (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 11, 2018
Nice office environment. Low key. Located downtown and very accessible from all over the city by public transportation. Diverse staff – all different ages. Contract pay ok. Management can be good or bad depending on the specific manager. Some managers don’t have great people skills. Contract workers treated as what they are – temporary.
Pros
Comfortable office environment.
Cons
Not sure there is much advancement.
Poor Management
Community Program Outreach Director (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 19, 2017
Management was horrific. They did not understand business. If you went against what everyone else agreed they said you were not a leader". Long hours.
Pros
Great Flex Time, Nice Co-Workers
Cons
Slavery mentality, Tried to preach diversity but clueless, hiring people to fill positions one person did, overworked, long hours, nights and weekends, President was clueless and only cared about the development to raise funds and more money for her
Horrible place to work
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 20, 2018
There is an extremely high turnover rate for such a small organization. There is absolutely no room for growth and they will not allow it. They lack diversity although want to appear they are. The Leadership team is very rude and passive aggressive. They do not and I mean do not appreciate staff and there are very few left that have vested time with the agency. If you are a glutton for punishment, this is the place for you!
Pros
N/a
Cons
Productive, fun place but not enough career advancement
Research Technical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60601February 20, 2018
Environment is very relaxed and coworkers are always willing to assist in difficult circumstances/very supportive. Staff does a great job planning outings. Great benefits...but not a lot of room for career advancement. You can easily become stagnant.
Progressive and mission focused. Overall this is a good place to work.
Constituent Events Manager (Current Employee) –  White Plains, MDOctober 31, 2018
While the association is mission focused, there should be more opportunity to develop its employee talent. This include resources for professional development and career advancement.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement
Varies from Chapter to Chapter
CRA (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 10, 2018
A typical day varies from chapter to chapter, as does management, job advancement, culture, etc. I worked for a moderately sized chapter that had some management issues, a high turn-over rate, and some serious denial.
Worthy cause, still an advocate.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 29, 2018
My fist foray into non-profit. I learned so many things and met some fabulous people. I loved the feeling of doing something good for the cause. I wish there had been more opportunities for advancement. Left for more pay, but miss the service. I have helped with several events since leaving. Still have great friends there.
Very productive and fun workplace to work for. Great staffs and everyone help each other on everything that is needed to be completed.
ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDNovember 7, 2017
A typical day at work was working on administration duties. These duties includes working on project, prepare and deliver mails, working on word, excel, and powerpoint as well as printing and fax. I learned so much from all of the above duties. I also like the independent work environment. The most enjoyable part of the job was that everyone help each other, respect one another and make the workplace fun place to work for on everyday basis.
Pros
The independent but still everyone help each other, great communication system.
Cons
No benefits, part time job only available.
It was good experience.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2017
It was good experience for a first time job as an intern, otherwise for a full career I would recommend this job. I was assigned to the mailroom and to the internal auditor. As Mailroom intern I was required to fill the kitchens on both levels of the building as well as take stock in the stock room. as internal audit intern I was required to upload hard copy files onto the computer as well as help go through the audits. The culture there is what a typical office workplace would be with meetings and office work.
Pros
good if going into business, they have all departments
Cons
intern didnt have certain benefits until become full time
Lack of leadership
Constituent Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 28, 2017
The national Alzheimer's Assc is a decent organization, but the Syracuse chapter is awful. Leadership is full of themselves and treat employees like children. Those in charge refuse to reflect on poor performance, instead choosing to blame subordinates. The organization offers good salaries and benefits, but despite these attractions people frequently leave due to their bosses.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Leadership, environment
Fun energetic environment no one day was ever the same
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GAJanuary 13, 2019
Outstanding company to work for enjoyed being in a team environment. Working with the clients was very fufilling and créative on day To day activites.
Pros
Rewarding and pleasing definitely worthwhile
Cons
not enough employees privately funded depended upon the financial district outside of the company
Relaxed environment
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2017
I love the cause, but advancement is low. Work place bullies in management in the Medical and Scientific Relations department. The CEO is the best and is doing great things for the Association. Salaries are competitive.
Pros
Benefits, vacation time
Cons
Career Advancement
Typical Big Nonprofit experience
Graphic Design Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2018
The Alzheimer's Association is a wonderful company with a wonderful mission. Working for the Association is difficult for anyone working in the creative field, as more often than not, someone with no creative training will be calling the shots and micromanaging every step of the process.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Alzheimer's Association. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2