AM General Employee Reviews

Great pay
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, IN 46545February 13, 2019
Team atmosphere, steady repetitive work. Overtime always available. I would have stayed if I wasn't bumped to second shift. Hard to do as a single parent with two children.
Awesome experience working in the Defense realm
EVMS Analyst (Program Planning & Controls) (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIFebruary 12, 2019
AM General is an awesome place to work and the management is mostly related to army retirees and/or somehow related to the defense industry. Builds great products for the defense industry and it was a privilege to work for AMG.
Productive yet strenuous, but very educational.
Tech (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INFebruary 2, 2019
I was honored to work on a groundbreaking project, which was the Hummer. I feel that management was abusive toward injured workers, however I did enjoy my coworkers.
Good learning experience
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 24, 2019
First job out of college started as contract but was hired in after a year. Opportunity to work with Senior engineers on projects and travel to Military baes.
Pros
New learning Experience
Cons
Very structured on work hours
Willing to work
Lines Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INDecember 29, 2018
I've been part of the manufacturing world now for Eighteen years. I started out not knowing anything and working for a company that I thought I could retire from.I don't mind working long hours. As long as I'm paid fairly. I can work pretty much any where. I don't mind asking for work. I get bored easily. So I like to stay busy. I would like to start with a company where I can learn new skill sets. Also if there is room for company advancement. I would like the possibility to do so. The most difficult part of the job is learning a new job. Is doing it correctly and effectively. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you have done the job right!
Pros
Health care paid vacation.
Cons
No room for company advancement
Journeyman Layout Inspector (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INNovember 26, 2018
The company was a great place to work with good compensation for the area. Only real down fall to the company was the lack of work when the contracts ran out.
Pros
a quality oriented company
Cons
to many layoffs
Good Company
Cost Accountant (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INOctober 3, 2018
Great company and employees. Good Management. The downside is that there is not a lot of opportunity for growth at the company unless promoted within your position.
GROUP LEADER, PAINT (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INSeptember 26, 2018
Being in the union you are pretty much secure with your job and benefits. Repetitive work and very nice bonuses as well. Management is ok at times but can definitely improve.
Production worker
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INAugust 25, 2018
I just laid off this Monday, management is horrible there, they pick who they want, women over forty are been discriminated against, now u do three or four jobs within an half hour, the training stinks, u don’t get the original operator, it’s not like it used to.
Pros
Good pay
production
General Laborer/Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJuly 29, 2018
the job there was an ideal job for someone like myself, it gave me the overtime that I was looking for, I had the option of working on the weekends if I wanted to. the bad part was being laid off.
Assembly
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJuly 19, 2018
Very fast pace, good pay but after they quit making Hummers that's when they started laying off and i had to move on. I definitely would go back if it ever picked up like it did when they were doing Hummers.
Pros
Fast pace, good money
Cons
Slowed down
AM General
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INMay 22, 2018
AM General is a fun and good place to work overall. Good Pay and Benefits.I have enjoyed most of th time that I have spent at am general although I am looking to be promoted to a Supervisor in the future.
Has the potential to be better
PC Technician (Former Employee) –  Canton, OH 44718May 2, 2018
Majorly good people
Could do better on their goals
Decent work environment
Working on becoming more technically compliant
Gained lots of experience from different locations
No comment.
Manager (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INApril 4, 2018
Up and down with government and military spending. High costs make it a challenging environment for any new commercial business opportunities. Left out of concern over long term stability.
High Stress
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INMarch 31, 2018
The typical day is continual high stress with a lot of panic driven urgency for no reason.

Management gives no clear direction. Lower management is continually panicked - with no competent instructions.
Pros
Moderately decent benefits
Cons
continual panic, high stress
AM General Review
Product Development Engineer / Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Livonia MIMarch 28, 2018
I enjoyed working for AM General, I had a good manager. Manager took a risk on me on my ideas, abilities and skills to develop products and systems and it paid off of everyone
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INMarch 26, 2018
Pretty good place to work, I had to work a crazy 2ND shift (5:00pm-3:30am)but in all fairness I was a new hire so I couldn't complain. Pay is decent, bonuses was nice.
Pros
Quarterly bonuses
Cons
Management can send u home early.
is a decent place to work
Auto Assembler (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INFebruary 5, 2018
The workforce is good to work with, but the managment on the other hand cant seem to pull it together. I really do enjoy this type of work though.......
fast pass and demanding
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJanuary 30, 2018
Although I worked with this company for a long time I will say I'm glad to move on to something new just because in manufacturing jobs as this one, is hard on ones body due to the hard work. Very fast passed and go go go. As long as you do your job and you do your job well there really isn't any problems that can occur throuhl management. Benefits where great and got me and my family through a lot. Payed time off and vacation days are fair.
Pros
good benefits and good working hours
Cons
Work a lot hours
Unique workplace culture, reliable employer
Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 12, 2018
AM General has a unique culture in the workplace. Being a government contractor means the employee works on government time with government employees both current & prior. If an employee has never worked in this type of environment, the constraints they work under can take quite a bit of time to adjust to. If you are more of a freelance, creative type, I would not recommend AM General as a good fit.

The most enjoyable aspect of AM General is predictability when you are an acutal employee of the company. There are many bonuses to working there after culture adjustment has taken place. However, if the employee is in a contract position, it is volatile & uncertain, & quite unpleasant.
Pros
Predictability & stable
Cons
Unhappy contract employees; staid & stiff