AM General Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
GROUP LEADER, PAINT (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INSeptember 26, 2018
Being in the union you are pretty much secure with your job and benefits. Repetitive work and very nice bonuses as well. Management is ok at times but can definitely improve.
Production worker
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INAugust 25, 2018
I just laid off this Monday, management is horrible there, they pick who they want, women over forty are been discriminated against, now u do three or four jobs within an half hour, the training stinks, u don’t get the original operator, it’s not like it used to.
Pros
Good pay
production
General Laborer/Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJuly 29, 2018
the job there was an ideal job for someone like myself, it gave me the overtime that I was looking for, I had the option of working on the weekends if I wanted to. the bad part was being laid off.
Assembly
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJuly 19, 2018
Very fast pace, good pay but after they quit making Hummers that's when they started laying off and i had to move on. I definitely would go back if it ever picked up like it did when they were doing Hummers.
Pros
Fast pace, good money
Cons
Slowed down
AM General
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INMay 22, 2018
AM General is a fun and good place to work overall. Good Pay and Benefits.I have enjoyed most of th time that I have spent at am general although I am looking to be promoted to a Supervisor in the future.
Has the potential to be better
PC Technician (Former Employee) –  Canton, OH 44718May 2, 2018
Majorly good people
Could do better on their goals
Decent work environment
Working on becoming more technically compliant
Gained lots of experience from different locations
No comment.
Manager (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INApril 4, 2018
Up and down with government and military spending. High costs make it a challenging environment for any new commercial business opportunities. Left out of concern over long term stability.
High Stress
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INMarch 31, 2018
The typical day is continual high stress with a lot of panic driven urgency for no reason.

Management gives no clear direction. Lower management is continually panicked - with no competent instructions.
Pros
Moderately decent benefits
Cons
continual panic, high stress
AM General Review
Product Development Engineer / Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Livonia MIMarch 28, 2018
I enjoyed working for AM General, I had a good manager. Manager took a risk on me on my ideas, abilities and skills to develop products and systems and it paid off of everyone
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INMarch 26, 2018
Pretty good place to work, I had to work a crazy 2ND shift (5:00pm-3:30am)but in all fairness I was a new hire so I couldn't complain. Pay is decent, bonuses was nice.
Pros
Quarterly bonuses
Cons
Management can send u home early.

Want to know more about AM General?

Ask a question
is a decent place to work
Auto Assembler (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INFebruary 5, 2018
The workforce is good to work with, but the managment on the other hand cant seem to pull it together. I really do enjoy this type of work though.......
fast pass and demanding
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJanuary 30, 2018
Although I worked with this company for a long time I will say I'm glad to move on to something new just because in manufacturing jobs as this one, is hard on ones body due to the hard work. Very fast passed and go go go. As long as you do your job and you do your job well there really isn't any problems that can occur throuhl management. Benefits where great and got me and my family through a lot. Payed time off and vacation days are fair.
Pros
good benefits and good working hours
Cons
Work a lot hours
Unique workplace culture, reliable employer
Contract Employee (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 12, 2018
AM General has a unique culture in the workplace. Being a government contractor means the employee works on government time with government employees both current & prior. If an employee has never worked in this type of environment, the constraints they work under can take quite a bit of time to adjust to. If you are more of a freelance, creative type, I would not recommend AM General as a good fit.

The most enjoyable aspect of AM General is predictability when you are an acutal employee of the company. There are many bonuses to working there after culture adjustment has taken place. However, if the employee is in a contract position, it is volatile & uncertain, & quite unpleasant.
Pros
Predictability & stable
Cons
Unhappy contract employees; staid & stiff
A place in question
Compliance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJanuary 9, 2018
Needs: labor workers, review of govt contracts needs established not protocol. Establish division dedicated to specific assessment of mobility of actual tankers not relating to country of need.
Pros
Established facility
Cons
Lacks mgmt
Most upper management seemed uncaring about people
Contract Buyer (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJanuary 7, 2018
Not really much of anything nice to say about management there, that was within my department. They really didn't care about people getting their work done right and didn't give people ample time to process their work properly. Training in certain areas was poor and complicated with not enough time to complete. Certain individuals were moved out of areas where they did poor work and then into other areas where they never really improved. Upper management just didn't care about removing the poorest performers by getting rid of them. I worked via a contract and never received performance evaluations.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad upper management.
Poor management/racism
Mail Clerk/Mail Handler (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJanuary 2, 2018
As this company has rules to follow as all do but when you make up rules just to fire someone that's not very professional. Especially when the "boss" and/or "manager" has done the same thing they fired you for if not more, and craziest part is there was absolutely no policy on the matter at all.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management, very poor
Great Experience
Treasury Intern (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INDecember 29, 2017
Managers were great and incredibly helpful, I never felt afraid to ask them for help if I was lost or confused. Coworkers were fun and professional and all did their job effectively and efficiently.
Interesting Work
Gov. Contracts, Temp (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INDecember 15, 2017
Ongoing training. Busy work. Great co-workers. advancement opportunities as well as department moves available. Great pay with great hours. Family oriented.
Pros
Pay, hours of operation
Cons
lay offs
Was a very loyal employee who was a victim of bad company politics
Material Control Supervisor (Former Employee) –  SPLO-MishawaukaDecember 11, 2017
Was very happy and even proud to be part of supervision team that came on board at SPLO to bolster parts supply support for HUMVEE and H1.

Came on as full time temp, got on as a full time employee, but things took a turn for the worse a few years later, when mid and upper management appeared to have conspired to have position torpedoed to justify removal from the position I performed so well for the company.

Was part of major layoff in 2011 when the two wars in the middle east were ramping down.

I was not so much that I got layed off, with hundreds of others, but the seedy way in which my immedieate manager and his boss, and possibly his boss, seamingly conspired to take the position down..
Production work place reaching a number goal
Commercial Assembly Plant Paint Shop Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INNovember 26, 2017
A typical day at work , morning meeting with Supervisor about 5min Take attendance , assign Team Leader to awol area , started line build cars, The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the employee and co-worker coming together to meet the same goal.