AM Retail Group Employee Reviews

A large corporation the supports their employees well.
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNJune 26, 2018
A large company with good pay, good benefits, and opportunity for advancement. Good communication, the employees are kept in the loop of the company status and the direction it is heading in the future.
Excellent
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Osage Beach, MOJune 11, 2018
Very good company to work for. I highly recommend them. Family oriented business. Very strong in customer service. Good benefits. Results driven company.
poor leadership
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 16, 2018
There was not enough support for the sales floor, for the employees and for the leadership. There was poor upper leadership as well. not enough training
play hard work hard
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 23, 2018
culture is fun exciting and hard work- sales goals are fair and teams really can take ownership if they are go getters. not a job for people who want to clock in and out.
Pros
rewards competiveness
Cons
7 day a week job
A good place to work. Good benefits.
Packer Lead (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park MnJanuary 8, 2018
When I was working in this company I learned a lot of things about how to operate in a wearhouse. I learned to use some computer skills and also to operate some line machines I was a pack lead and I learn to work fast and productive. The company has great benefits. I learned to be a lead and teach people how to done things because most people who work there speak Spanish at that time and I was able to interprete from English to Spanish.
relaxed place to work and great co-workwers
HR/Payroll Technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNJanuary 2, 2018
I was first introduced to them as a temporary employee, but the business was growing and it turned out to be full-time. It was busier on Payroll weeks, butt generally casual and relaxed - -but not as far as lazy. generally enjoyed my time there...
Pros
people/atmosphere
Difficult
Senior Inventory Accountant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNNovember 7, 2017
My managers would scream at me in the middle of the office, but then turn around and praise you behind closed doors.

My managers promised to help balance the workload between myself and my direct report. Then when the direct report gave notice, they expected me to do both jobs for months with out any assistance. It is unfair to expect one person to do the work of two people for several months.
not a work life balance
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Foley, ALSeptember 6, 2017
I wouldn't recommend anyone to work here till they provide more payroll hours for the work load. The amount of freight and changes in promo and the open and close alone is not okay.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no life when you work here
Poor Communication, lack of acknowledgment.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMay 15, 2017
Poor communication, little to no support. Poor training. Policy and procedure not enforced, Ultimately hurting business and profits. Lack of monitoring stores individually to improve sales.
Great Place to Work!
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 29, 2017
Great place to work! Good people, decent benefits. There are opportunities to move into a position that may be a better fit. Good upper management who care about their employees.
Exciting, rewarding and lots of advancement
Store-District manager/trainer (Former Employee) –  Branson, MOMarch 11, 2017
This company was pleasant to work. This company truly recognizes success and does everything they can to promote and encourage strong team and sales players
Complicated and Bittersweet
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Marysville, WADecember 13, 2016
I worked for the company for 4 years with plenty of opporunity for advancement however i would find people that were brand new or in lower positions than i was were making more money than i was. Ive been moved around to many stores with limited choice in where i could go afterward. You would always have a job if you went to the store they wanted you in. Very low compensation for severance pay with minimal notice when you were going to have to close a store/change location. Marketing changes were made twice and sometimes 3 times a week. Turnover in most stores is extremely high and there is never consistent management or discipline.
Pros
Pay was alright
Cons
Too much inconsistency across the board and they expect you to put work before family.
Fun work environment with a top focus on customer service and sales metrics
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 20, 2016
Overall a great company to work for. The high standard in customer service and sales metrics will set you up for success in any retail job. The company is small enough where you have easy access to anyone in the company and get feedback in a reasonable time frame. There are also regular company contests to keep the teams engaged and motivated to improve over last year's results. The company is open to new ideas to help drive business which many of the associates in the stores appreciate.
Pros
Team atmosphere, high energy, customer service focused
Cons
Work/life balance could be improved
Management is structured horribly.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tinton Falls, NJMarch 31, 2016
This company is the worst I have ever worked for in 17 years of retail. Your lucky if you get a break. They have unrealistic daily sales goals of entire staff. Want you to hound and bother customers every few minutes which most of our customers did not like at all if they just walked into store. Expected to do everything with little appreciation, pay, or time off.
Pros
Discount.
Cons
Everything!!!!
Worst Retail Establishment on the Planet Earth
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Truckee, CANovember 13, 2015
If you want to punish yourself for the rest of your life, go to work at GH Bass in Truckee. Absolutely the most ridiculous retail establishment that I have EVER worked for.
This company has no clue how to treat their staff, or how to drive a business.
If you are considering working for this company, run away as fast as you can the other way.
Horrible place to work
Store Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Truckee, CANovember 2, 2015
Worked there 1 year. Reorganized entire store from painting walls, to correcting paperwork, restaffing entire store, and retraining to company standards. Company has no appreciation for long hours and hard work. Willing to work you everyday if needed, which is against CA law. No worklife/home life balance. As stated in other reviews, they word things as opportunities but in reality it's here's proof in writing that you are not perfect. Very over exaggerated customer service standards. Unreasonable expectations from entire staff. They want you to pester customers every few minutes. Customers in Truckee did not like that at all. They send in secret shoppers often and if you do not pass an unrealistic percentage, you get written up and then fired if u miss the 2nd time. So obnoxious that they said if we had long hair we had to wear it in a ponytail so our name badges could be seen easily and not miss points on the secret shop. How bout their shoppers just be more observant. Ridiculous expectations. You had to be 100% perfect robot to work there or it was unrealistic to continue employment. Long hours not enough pay. Would not suggest to anyone. So bad the entire staff quit and I provided references for my exceptional employees who were under appreciated on a weekly basis.
Pros
Bonus potential
Cons
High expectations with low pay
Horrible place to work!
Manager in an AM Retail Store (Former Employee) –  Central New JerseyApril 14, 2015
Anyone who works for AM retail needs to get their head checked. I worked there for a year and was treated horribly The whole time. You have no job security and will always feel you are not doing enough and will be fired for it. The corporate people and DMs especially do not care about the managers and associates and make them work in horrible conditions. The women I worked with constantly hogged all the work and then claimed I did nothing to help them. They would all sit in the back and leave me on the sales floor and claim I get an attitude when I ask for help, of course I did there were 4 managers in the back gossiping and I am running a sales floor with more than 25 customers in the store and one associate. they transfered me to another store and it was even worse. The district manager will always take the side of a manager they like. The store managers I have worked for were very inexpierenced in leadership roles and will manage you to death. The DM has many different and complicated tasks for you to do during a day with very limited staff and hours. You are expected to stay later whenever they ask just to do mindless tasks and floorsets. They will tell you everyday to sell and focus on customer service but you will then get in trouble for not doing the tasks they assign. I have never worked with so many uneducated, cold, brown nosing, gossipy, selfish, rude, senile, irresponsible, sneaky, passive aggressive, close minded managers in my life. Anyone who works for this company I can guarentee you will be miserable as they have no leadership, no employee morale, and no sense  more... of accomplishment because they constantly tell you your work is not good enough and you will be fired for it. I highly recommend you do not work for this company.  less
Pros
Decent money but not worth the job
Cons
Short breaks, no job security, bad benefits, many long days and hours, no recognition for good behavior, magnifying glass on "oppurtunity behavior", must take deposit to bank late at night in bad areas
Relaxed and fast paced
Service Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNMarch 26, 2015
Lots of things to do and fast paced work environment. However, it is also a very relaxed work environment. Tasks very from building computers, 24/7 server monitoring, rotating weekends shifts. As well as on the phone remote troubleshooting with end users.
A great place to work if you are a sadist
Network Communications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNMarch 13, 2015
Unsupportive Management – The Manager would simply turn and stare at you if you would ask a question and tell you to “Google it” even if your question was in regard to a software you hadn't used before.
Minimum of 50 hour work week and a lack of gratitude for any extra work done.
Office politics make the environment very “Cowboy” and very Junior High.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
A very clicky environment
The worst company to work for in my 15 years of retail management.
Store sales manager (Former Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaFebruary 3, 2015
I have always taken positives away from any company that I have had the opportunity to work for. This was by far the worst experience with an organization that I have ever had. I strongly recommend not working here. Huge mistake that I made with my career. This company does not care about its people. What I saw happen to store managers and support managers from how they were treated to their jobs being threatened weekly is ethically and morally wrong.
Cons
Horrible leadership at all levels, no job security encouragement or development. No breaks .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AM Retail Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight