AMA Transportation Co. Inc.

AMA Transportation Co. Inc. Employee Reviews

United States18 reviews
Great family owned company
Been at AMA for 21 years, had support from management, and fellow drivers from day one , hard honest workers are highly appreciated and told so . This company strives to pay their employees top wages for positions,a company where you are truly a name not a number
Pros
Great pay, and benefits, owners always available
Cons
not enough vacation time after 15 to 20 years
Ama is the best place to work for staff there are very friendly and a good place to start your career I work there for 5 years and I love it and I will go back there and again
Good stedy employment.
Work is fast paced and it can be overwelming at times. We all pitch in to get things dun. The computer reports and manifest ar not acuret wich can be aggravating. Long days can be exhausting. The dock eqiptment is not adequate slowing productivity.
Pros
Job sucurity
Cons
No stop time.
good company to work for.
Had lots of fun going to work staff crew members was awesome working with each other in the wearhouse on the doc. The managers was super patient with us and taught us a lot about moving Freight in a timely manner.
Pros
We as a team work together
Cons
Very hot in the truck and on the doc
I am a former employee! Family owned and felt like second family!
I was a driver for 14 years with ama! Just like all freight company's you are under the gun and fast paced. This company gives people with little to no experience a shot where no other will.the only issue i had the promote bad drivers who always came back with delivery's they could not make. I guess they keep the good driver's to just drive! Way to many office personal. Larger companies have less office workers. Cut down on office personal by half teach them to multi task. Use the extra money you would save on better medical benifits for the important employees the driver's. Without drivers your just a storage warehouse. But all in all not a bad environment to work for.
Pros
Great pay and all the overtime you can handle.
Cons
Benifits can be much better!
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Fast paced with career advancement opportunities!
Hello,
I started at AMA a while back as an overnight dock worker. This was the first time I had ever worked 3rd shift and it was definitely animal. After adjusting to working overnights and sleeping during the days, I found that it was the perfect fit for me. Never got stuck in traffic as the traffic was always going the opposite way and having weekends off was a huge plus.

After going through the training I found the job to be fast paced and really engaging. Problem solving that I never thought I would use came up time and again. The benefits were decent as well as the paid time off. Overtime was almost always an option.

The management / managers I directly reported to were supportive and would always "have the door opened" even if I had an issue that was not work related. Great family culture if you ask me.
Pros
Paid time off. Benefits. Fast paced, little downtime. Advancement
Cons
Breaks, Distance to travel to work.
AMA = Good Place to Work
I think AMA is a good place to work for people who are willing to work hard and push themselves. For someone who wants to work hard, there is a lot of opportunities available. It does get demanding at times, and you have to learn how to handle that. My biggest issue is one the affects most transportation companies, and that is the amount work and the need for communication. It is important for drivers and their managers to have the MOST communication possible, which at times can be stressful.
Pros
Great Pay and benefits
Cons
challenging workload
Fast paced and plenty of work
I have been employed with AMA for 9 out of 18 years of my driving career as a Local Driver. As with any LTL carrier in my experience it is fast paced and hectic during the busy seasons. The management team is second to none, with an open door policy and some of the best dispatchers that I have ever worked with. It says a lot when the ownership makes it a point to know their employees names and greet them when they happen to see you in passing. All the employees get along well and treat each other with respect.
AMA has made a giant leap in the past few years in regards to the equipment by purchasing numerous new trucks, the fleet has never looked so good.

The days are usually longer than I would prefer, but with driving a truck for a living that goes with the territory.
Pros
Plenty of work, Newer trucks, Good people
Cons
Long days, Lack of advancement opportunities
Exceptional Company
One of the biggest benefits of working for AMA is that it is a small family owned and operated business, emphasis on the family. Their employees are extremely important to them, the success of the company and the owners know that.
I started my career with AMA working in operations, which was at times stressful but very rewarding. It eventually led me into the sales and marketing arena with AMA which proved to be a challenging and rewarding career venture.

Anyone who understand the LTL freight business knows that it is fast-paced, hectic, and at times immensely trying. Working for a company that understands this and is in the trenches with all of their employees, everyday, makes the accomplishments more productive and satisfying.
Fast Paced
I worked overnight preparing the trucks to leave in the morning. It was fast pace to make sure everything was ready for when the drivers arrived in the morning to deliver products.
Very disorganized
1. need to buy hand truck and pallet jack. They are so cheap they dont provide
2. Training 3 day and your on your way. If you mess up . its on you thats allway even if your not responsable.

3. Trucks are beatup . you'll get the worst.

4.dock workers load the trucks w/o straps they say the company doesnt buy.and dont give a fu...k

5.liftgate deliveries w/o liftgate and dont ask for extra pay they are cheap af.

6. Need to use your personal phone for 60% of the times to call costumer and they wont help you pay. Pay your own medical card, boots, and any safty personal equipment you need.

7. They will make you drive 16hrs and dont care of you get home. They wont pay layover nore a hotel. Even make you violate the 8 hr break rule.

8. Even take away hour worked from you
Pros
Not much
Cons
Official response from AMA Transportation Co. Inc.
April 27, 2018
First, I would like to apologize for the delayed response to your review, but appreciate your feedback. I am very sorry that your experience was less than a positive one. We strive to create a family atmosphere for all of our employees here at AMA.
Employee satisfaction is vital to our business model and we are looking into all your concerns. It is our goal that any and all past employees feel respected during their employment with AMA Transportation.

Regards,

Mark Bruzzese

Owner

AMA Transportation
Family owned buisness and not much training provided
I started and only had a few hours of training put me by myself without enough training could have used a bit more training and maybe some training materials to follow for the systems we used
Productive and fun driving experience with great company.
Flexible schedule with locations on the shoreline. I learned how install 2', 3', and 4' flex frame P.O.S. on cabinets, and enjoyed the customer experience.
Pros
Set my own hours.
Cons
Traffic.
great job
wonderful people great work enviroment great hours and a very positive company.
A day of work would include unloading or loading a truck after palletizing and shrnk wrapping all items
Pros
the work
Cons
short breaks
Great place to get first tractor trailer experience.
Typical work day would involve all safety checking of truck, and freight, delivering, and picking up customer freight.

I learned how to professionally drive a tractor trailer.

Management was stern, but fair.

My co-workers were great people, and very supportive.

The hardest part of my job was unloading the freight at times.

The most enjoyable part of my job was driving on the open road.
Pros
Indivisual freedom of being on the open road.
Cons
The intense physical labor that some deliveries required.
AMA Transportation
This is a great company to work for. the toughest shift is third you will be busy from the time you come in till you punch out. the managers are friendly and help you out when you need it and the rest of the team is always there to lend a hand
Pros
fast advancement, a good team to work for
Cons
in the middle of no where
great place to work
I worked at AMA Transportation for 17 years.
The job is different every day due to customer call loads and problems that arise from calls.

Co-workers are wonderful to work with. Everybody is like family.

The hardest part of the job was locating missing freight and getting delivered within a reasonable amount of time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was finding the lost freight and getting it delivered. Mostly satisfying the customer.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
not much overtime
Challenging and Fast Pace Atmosphere
Through and through my overall experience at AMA has been challenging yet rewarding. I have learned a lot at my time here and feel as though it has strengthened me for future endeavors.

A typical day here consists with day to day customers calling and inquiring on their freight which may not always deliver to their satisfactory. We have to help them along to eventually get to where they want to be.

The most enjoyable part of my job would be the marketing end of it. I love being creative and sending out newsletters showing the different things the company is offering. I have a keen sense of design and love doing something that will catch the public's eye.
Pros
Independability, Fast Paced Atmosphere, Learning Environment
Cons
Not somewhere I see myself in ten years
Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMA Transportation Co. Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.