Amalgamated Life Insurance Employee Reviews

Advancement
VICE PRESIDENT (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 19, 2018
Company has not advanced from a technology perspective when I talk with others in my industry. Additionally, there is a lot of "dead weight" within the company that management chooses to ignore. Salary is a flat percentage for each employee never recognizing those that work harder and assume more responsibility. Very unfair practice that creates negative employee morale.
Pros
There are flexible hours for many. Most work a 7.5 hour day and are able to maintain their workload.
Cons
Unfair merit increases with little room for advancement.
Low salary great benefiits
Customer Service Support II (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJune 11, 2018
Great place to work, low pay but great benefits. This company has great perks, diverse culture. People are great to work with. Customer service department rocks. The director is very strict but he is a great human being.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Short breaks
Great benefits and pension, but in union limited $ and a lot of time
Senior Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NY 10604February 19, 2018
Some days stressful and some days easy going.
Management is strong and helpful. Friendly environment. Some staff are a little old school and therefore sometimes are slow in learning new processes.
Pros
Benefits, pension, unlimited overtime
Cons
Time, less pay, slow advancement up in company.
no space for growth
Auditor (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYDecember 28, 2017
mid size company with little room for growth as auditor, management is nice and work environment is peaceful, good benefits and hours. good place to work at.
bad
Micro-fiche Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 28, 2018
They didn' treat they co-workers good, my manager would yell at me while i was working say go back to my office. the company moved to Yonkers to far for me to go.
Manager Appeals and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMay 29, 2018
I have no comment about a typical day at work, what I learned, what management was like or workplace culture. Nor the hardest part of the job or the most enjoyable part.
Diverse and experienced co-workers and plenty of opportunity to grow professionally
ELIGIBILITY MAINTENANCE PROCESSOR (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMay 13, 2015
* Typically, I review incoming e-mails and review work to be processed for the day.

* I learned new software, where I post earnings and processed payments for employees.

* Management was always available and helpful when necessary. I got along well with my co-workers, as we are a team with a similar goal.

* The job was very demanding and required long hours, but I was on board with these demands.

* I enjoyed learning new things and meeting my daily goals
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Short breaks
comfortable and fun place to work,feel free to be myself . would like to be told told if i am doing a good job. encouregment goes along way.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RIMay 1, 2018
I enjoyed my job . I like to help people. management was hard at times, micromanaging was difficult to deal with. I learned alot about pensions for the customers and for my self in the future.
Pros
close to home, no highway driving
Cons
micromanagers
Not a good place to work
CIO (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 28, 2018
When I was there their was not commitment to excellence. At that time is was all political and not a good place to work or advance. Things hopefully have changed with the new management.
Nice work enviornment with a full kitchen with chef available
(Temp) Enrollment Analyst (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJune 26, 2018
Amalgamated was a great working and learning experience. I learned many techniques to analyze reports, accurately and promptly. Supervisors were very understanding of single parents and the importance of being in their children's life.

Want to know more about Amalgamated Life Insurance?

Ask a question
the company
Medical Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 29, 2017
The company was great to work for. they offered good benefits and they too would always try to get the best benefits for their members. The staff the fund to work and it felt like family
Fun place to work. Excellent employee's and Mgmt
Customer Service Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYNovember 29, 2013
Inbound call center.
Disclosing medical benefits to members and providers.
Handling retiree benefit calls.
Great management staff, easy to get along with and very pen minded.
My coworkers are the greatest. We are more like family.
Like any job there is stress when handling certain calls if you have an uphappy member calling.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the atmosphere and being able to make a difference in someon's day.
Loved the job
Senior Rep III (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYDecember 2, 2012
The co-workers were what made this job fun. Everyone did their work and were not afraid to ask for help or offer. This job was about being able to multi-task which was good because you would always have something to do. the hardest part of this job was working with higher up's who had no idea what was going on. It made the job difficult when a client needed to speak with someone and we had to scramble to get someone with the knowledge.
Pros
i learned a lot about health insurance as well as retirement benefits.
Cons
trying to advance in the company is a challenge.
Challenging Work with Constructing Learning
Senior Technical Analyst (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJanuary 20, 2017
There is no typical day every day is different. What I have learned through managers, supervisors and directors is more than i can explain. Best job ever, anything you need to know someone is there to help. Co workers and management have become great influences on my professional and work life. I consider my career time period there one of my greatest moments in my life. I strongly recommend this job to anyone who is willing to put in the work and LISTEN to what your superiors have to say when they explain to you your work. I cannot express how frustrating it is when trying to teach new people. This company is perfect they know what they're doing and if you're not the type to work and listen do not waste their time. Excellent company, excellent staff loved every day of it.
Pros
Excellent staff, free parking, bistro in the building
Cons
Nothing I can think of
O.K. place to work if you are not on production.
Production Analyst (Current Employee) –  White Plains, New YorkMarch 17, 2012
This company is o.k for the very young who are just starting out. If you are interested in working for the claims department be very sure this something you want to do. Training is almost four months or more. They are pretty unrealistic about what claims processors can produce. The pay is very low but the benefits are good.
Pros
celebrates everybody's birthday once a month, excellent benefits.
Cons
breaks are short.
low work moral
Benefit Analyst/Claims Department (Licensed) (Current Employee) –  White Plains, NYJanuary 7, 2017
Flextime is one of the best aspects of working for this company. The benefits are decent. At amalgamated, management is very cold and not employee friendly. The pay is very low. Those who have to be licensed to preform their job, are not compensated for having a license.
Great place to work with room for growth
V & E Maintenance Operator/ Grade VII (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2017
This was one of my first full time jobs which I enjoyed. I started as a Data Entry Clerk and worked my way up to V & E Maintenance Operator II within 2 years. Great company to work with and excellent management. This was a very diverse job with room for growth.
Pros
This company had positions with room for growth.
Cons
Relaxed environment and very diverse
Senior Examiner (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 26, 2017
They have a welcoming atmosphere. There are many avenues for advancement. The ability to move within the office is comfortable. Employees generally like to help within other departments. There is an application overload of clients applying for retirement.
Cons
Pay not equivalent to job description
Great work and learning Environment
Enrollment Processor / Service Exc (Temp) (Former Employee) –  333 Westchester Ave White Plains, NYJuly 6, 2014
To start of your mornings you would check your emails for anything urgent that was sent form upper management. The coworkers make this place as enjoyable but productive. They are always there to help when needed. the toughest part of this job is working with other departments. communication is often poor unless you develop a prior relationship with someone within a different department. I've learned must more about Life insurance, how the claims are processed as well, learning to multi task and completing good work
Pros
Management- Coworkers relationships
Cons
Short Breaks, lack of moving up within the company
Group Life Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYNovember 10, 2017
Tons of work non stop phone calls desk full of paperwork deadlines to meet weekly meetings. friendly staff everyone is very nice and caring great place to work