Amazon Mechanical Turk Employee Reviews

Not worth your time
Mechanical Turk (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 3, 2018
I tried Amazon M Turk because I was trying to find some online work. The pay is extremely low and the jobs have no real career advancement value. I didn't learn anything new. Most jobs pay less than $1.00. This was a bad experiment and I will not waste anymore of my time on Amazon MTurk.
Pros
Cons
Horrible pay, boring work, time consuming
Convenient but Poor Compensation
Freelance Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 27, 2018
Mechanical Turk offers working at your own convenience, but also at your own risk. The pay offered for time invested is not nearly enough, but if you have nothing else to do with that time you might as well be paid for it.

The ability to have your funds put into your bank account, or as credit on Amazon is a nice perk, but perhaps the only one.
Decent side money, takes awhile to make money
Freelance worker (Current Employee) –  Home BasedNovember 12, 2018
This is a work from home job and like many self employed ventures, it takes a lot of work and some time to get consistent money.

Ive seen pay as low as 20 cents an hour and as high as over 50 dollars an hour. Many surveys and batches are around the 6-15 an hour range.Many tasks on the front screens of available hits and ones for newer people are very low in pay, like 1-3 an hour. There are good paying ones out there, but it takes awhile to find and/or qualify for them. Good workers will eventually get closed qualifications and potentially a masters qualification making more consistent work available.

This is not meant to be a long term career choice, but it can fill a void as side money, a part time job or a fallback option is used correctly.
Pros
Work as much or as little as you want, variety of tasks, good third party support forums
Cons
Many low paying and predatory requesters, slow times of year, amazon provides virutally no support, no benefits
Shody tech support
mTurk wokrer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 29, 2018
When answering surveys online, the tech support is one of the most important aspects. My birthday was in May and this meant that I would be placed in a new age bracket. It is now almost November and the issue is STILL being worked on. I had to contact customer service many times to get an update to which the response is 'we're working on it' or 'thank you for bringing it to our attention, we were unaware of this'. Meanwhile, I cannot work on mTurk surveys because the surveys I am shown are for those in my previous age bracket making the website useless to me.
Pros
work at your pace, can report surveys
Cons
low rewards, can't refute survey that say you did not complete it, takes 5+ months to resolve a tech issues
horrible job
mturker (Former Employee) –  chicagoOctober 27, 2018
I worked from 5 am to 12 midnight every day to only earn $20.00 on a good day and on a bad day $2.00. this is a site to work on in your spare time to earn lunch money etc due to the very low pay of 1 cent and up. they will block your account and put the money on an gift card if you use multiple devices to complete hits. I truly do not see how this site still exist.
Pros
Hits available 24 hrs to be completed.
Cons
unfair compensation, very time consuming and anxiety inducing
flixible hours, strong well organized management
Freelance Arabic translator, Arabic voice over (Former Employee) –  Washington StateOctober 23, 2018
I did a lot of mini-tasks varying from translation, audio transcription, and audio narration voice over. the pay is good and never delays. flexible hours.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
mini tasks, no contract
Super flexible, possible to make decent money.
Mechanical Turk Researcher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 17, 2018
They hardest thing about working for Mturk is just getting started. All the good tasks require a certain amount of approved hits/approval rating, which just requires a large time-sink. Lately the work amount has gone down, which is disappointing, although i still work at least an hour or two daily, making anywhere from 7 to 15$ an hour on an average day, occasionally making twice that.
Pros
Flexible, able to work whenever and wherever, assuming there is work to do.
Cons
Lack of work can hurt overall earnings for the week.
Only reason we survived
Crowd Source Contractor (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIOctober 16, 2018
Being a Stay at home of 4 is hard. This crowdsourcing site actually allowed me to bring in a stable income that worked with my schedule, and everyone else.
Pros
easy
Cons
sometimes slow
Nice place to make some extra income.
Amazon mechanical turk worker (Current Employee) –  Pacific, MOOctober 7, 2018
I started working for Amazon Mturk several months ago. I did a lot of online searches about Mturk as well as read a couple of e-books about it. I learned as much as I possibly could to help me understand and to make more money. I was completely confused about adding extensions etc. but I hung in there. I mostly do surveys as I feel like it's the best way I have found to make the most money. As I complete more and more hits better paying hits are becoming available on a regular basis. I love the fact that I can get online anyime and make money. NO, working here will not pay your cost of living completly but it will pay a few monthly bills you have, and supply you with extra income. I really like working for amazon mturk!
Pros
work from home, extra income, set your own hours, paid quickly
Cons
when things are slow there isnt always a lot of work available
Work from home is nice
Contract Labor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 30, 2018
Working for yourself from home is nice but you have to be a very motivated person to make a decent wage. It is nice to work your own schedule and from home.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Low pay unless you work lots of hours.
It's a side job to make just a few dollars everynow and then.
Data Entry Specialist (Current Employee) –  HomeSeptember 28, 2018
The amount of money you receive depends on the job and employer. It's all work from home positions and the pay is honestly terrible. I would only recommend this job if you have literally no other source of income and need a few extra dollars to get a drink or snack. some jobs pay $16 per task but you have to meet certain requirements it gives you.
Pros
very flexible hours
Cons
Not enough pay to live.
Fun!
Worker (Current Employee) –  Everywher In The United StatesSeptember 23, 2018
Fun way to make money on the side. Hits can be easy or difficult to get depending on how many are available, but each one increases money you can make in addition to any other jobs you may have.
Good pay
Developer (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVAugust 18, 2018
Payment on delivery, stressful but not too terrible. Overall would work again if a project came up I could work with. Not much else to say. No more else to say.
Great for passive earning
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 6, 2018
It's a convenient way to make some pocket money, but the pay is poor. Some tasks look like they pay well, but it takes a while for you to work to become qualified for the higher paying tasks.
Stressful, time sensitive, and grossly underpaid
Crowdsource Microcontractor (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, SCJuly 12, 2018
Amazon MTurk is a platform for individuals, corporation, and organizations to microcontract workers to complete a task. The tasks can range anywhere from audio transcribing to completing psychological surveys.

Payments rates vary from working for free to as high as $1 a minute. The problem though, is that high paying tasks are extremely few and far between. Most tasks pay less than 10 cents a minute. Tasks are also limited in number so workers compete against each other in order to claim their tasks before they run out. Many tasks are also very unethical, having users write positive reviews for services and websites on popular rating platforms, inflating website traffic, google search terms, etc.

However, it is a very low commitment way to earn a little extra cash when you want to buy something.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Low pay, repetitive work, stressful work environment if you want to maximize profit
Data Entry
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Greeneville, TNJuly 11, 2018
Not much advancement and takes time to really earn anything. However you can work at your own pace and own time for however many hours you would like. But does not get paid very much. For instance, in one hour of work I got paid $1.05.
Pros
Can work anywhere and anytime.
Cons
Paid not very much
I worked a lot for very little money.
Telemarketer/Searcher (Former Employee) –  Bostic, NCJune 1, 2018
The system worked as such: you are paid a certain amount of money, usually under a dollar, for EACH THING you do. These things included SEO functions, promoting people on social media, answering questions about where a person's site was in the Google search lineup, etc. I don't feel that the pay I made was worth it for the amount of work I did.
NOT a great way to make money on the side
Mechanical Turk (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 31, 2018
Unless you're willing to work every waking hour of the day, and not see results for up to three months, don't waste your time.

I would work between classes and during any free time I had, which averaged out to about 18 hours a week. I didn't get responses on jobs for upwards of a month. I wouldn't get paid until responses were received. And even then, each job was only about 10 cents for about ten minutes worth of work.
Pros
Lots of free time, self-paced, personal selection of jobs, no supervisor
Cons
Next to no payment, too much work for the amount being paid, too much time to make the desired amount of money
good balance
Freelancer (Former Employee) –  Home BasedMay 27, 2018
Its a cool job that lets you work when you want to work so i think that its a great option to make income on the side but i would not recommend this as your full time job.
Pros
balance, freedom
Cons
not a stable income
Mechanical Turk was a great work experience.
Website Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAMay 10, 2018
Mechanical Turk was a great work experience. A typical day involved evaluating websites and search engines. I learned how to evaluate websites and search engines.