AMD Employee Reviews

Intense environment
Web Content Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 31, 2018
AMD was a company that understood its position with Intel and work diligently toward changing that narrative. That effort is reflective in the intense focus on weekly goals. You really have to love the spirit to appreciate the work requested.
Great company
Marketing Communications (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 31, 2018
Was promoted three times in the first two years. Was offered on-site training to improve skills as well as given the opportunity to find my own career-advancement training which was paid for by AMD.
Really fun company to work at
Co-op Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 28, 2018
I was a Co-op Engineer at AMD in Austin. We had a really great group of people, which is pretty relflective of the company at large. At least in my experience, it felt a bit more like I was working at a small company than the second largest manufacturer of computer processors. It was very pleasant and personable. I definitely loved my time there!
Pros
Great people, personable, exciting, cutting edge
Cons
Lack of documentation
Manufactured
Production Operator/ Lead Operator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78741October 27, 2018
I miss working Retirement is the withdrawal from one's position or occupation or from one's active working life. I am may also semi-retire by reducing work hours. An increasing number of individuals are choosing to put off this point of total retirement, by selecting to exist in the emerging state of pre-tirement.
Great place to learn...
Member of Technical Staff, Product Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 1, 2018
Great place to learn and work on many different things but work-life balance can take a backseat with often aggressive deadlines and sometimes understaffed and overworked teams.
i was a contractor and not an employee. my primary focus was sourcing and hiring of quality engineers
Sr. Technical Recruiter (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 1, 2018
I was a contractor and focused on my role to recruit. i wasn't an employee. Employees were nice and management took an interest in the hiring efforts. than you.
Pros
pleasant, management good to work with
Cons
none in particular
Great Employees
R&D Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 30, 2018
Deadlines, Deadlines, Deadlines and always behind on them.
Company runs on Moore's Law.
Too many middle managers, not enough working staff.
Company was barely keeping afloat when I was there.
I cut my IT teeth there, and learned much from many fellow employees.
Pros
Free lunch on Product launch days
Cons
Stressful - fast paced
This place rocks
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 26, 2018
If you want to go to a place where almost everyone is very intelligent and driven then work here. If you want to skate through a job then you will be weeded out naturally - the culture is driven and thrives on getting things done - and done right !
Pros
Very challenging
Cons
Lack of upward growth - still too slow to promote the "smart-kids"
One of the Best Jobs I've ever had
Senior Product Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 24, 2018
I love everything about AMD and would highly recommend it to anyone. The give you the tools and autonomy to grow. AMD has a great corporate culture, even though it has had it's ups and downs.
Pros
Compensation, People, Culture, Growth, Depth of Career
Cons
Work/Life Balance, Industry volatility
Legacy Systems Need to Improve
Supply Chain Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 23, 2018
- Growing fast and focus of management is on right things. Legacy systems need up gradation.
- Legacy Systems Need to Improve
- Relaxed work culture, low attrition rates.
Nice company to work for, but small
Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  East FishkillSeptember 1, 2018
People love it when AMD is having a run. Today is no different from the 2003 run. Stock shoots up, only to crash few years later. This time? Let's see.
Senior AMD Fellow with the opportunity to lead complex projects
CTO and Co-Founder (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 14, 2018
AMD was probably the most fulfilling from a career advancement perspective. I was the main technical person supporting cross functional teams representing the company at major joint ventures with external partners.

As a result My final assignment at AMD was the to establish a Technical Design Center in Dresden, I had the complete responsibility for setting it up, hiring engineers from Eastern Germany initially, then expanded into Europe. I sent Expats to help and coach the engineering teams to handle AMD's design systems. I also had the responsibility of defining the projects which were executed on at the design center.
Pros
Excellent Company to work for
Cons
Not any!
Great Place to work!
Senior Research Talent Consultant (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 9, 2018
AMD is filled with remarkable easy going professionals, has flexible hours and remote options, and embraces work/life balance. If you are looking for a place to land where you can make an impact, the "scrappy" Machine Learning, Ai and other groups are amazing!
Was better under the control of its founder
MARKET DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 3, 2018
The company had a purpose while under the control of Jerry Sanders. The company worked as a team and grew. Under later management the commitment to the employees faded.
Worked in a fab
Water-fab technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 1, 2018
This workplace is a fast paced wafer fabrication company. They work a compressed shift of 12 hour days. Three days on with three days off & 4 days on with 4 days off.
AMD is great but is always chasing Intel
MTS Firmware Engineer, System Software Development (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 23, 2018
Fast paced as new products are always being introduced. I worked in the processor and chipset bring-up side of things. Cube environment with plenty of space.
Senior Technologist (Former Employee) –  Boxborough, MAJuly 8, 2018
Flexible hours. Work at your own pace. Good management. The work place was comfortable. Sometimes the work got a little boring, but for the most part there was always something to do.
Wonderfull place to prosper in the local tech scene.
Jr. Production Planner (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 3, 2018
I would've stayed with this company forever. But lets be honest the semi conducting industry is always changing. With that said, lay-offs are inevitable.
Great Flexibility
Software Engineer for D3D QE (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 18, 2018
Overall a great company. Coworkers are great, but there are some bad apples that have negative outlooks and make it hard to work with. Make sure the employees you work with are legit and aren't egocentric.
Overall
Contract Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Southborough, MAJune 14, 2018
Liked it there. The team was great; opportunities were there; the management gave me direction and support. What else is there to say. It was a great place to work.
Pros
Support
Cons
Sometimes noisy atmosphere.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at AMD. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at AMD.

Powered by Comparably