Ameren Employee Reviews

Worked at Company for 10 years
IT Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis, MOAugust 14, 2018
I worked at Ameren for 10 years and thought I would be there for the long haul. The company and culture depends on your immediate supervisor. The last supervisor I had was more than horrible when it came to being fair. Upper management has no clue what is going on and the company thinks things are changing. It was an interesting last year at the company. There are many changes, new senior leadership and lots of "new" college grads. The people that have been there a while are frustrated because they are left out of the new changes and no one in senior leadership cares what is going on.

It seems like the people who choose not to work are the ones getting promoted while the worker bees are left out in the cold.
Pros
Some of my coworkers were great, others were horrible
Cons
manipulative people, the pay is sub par, the middle aged generation is getting pushed out
Great company
Customer Care Advisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 29, 2018
This is a company that generations of my family has worked for. There is a lot of opportunity for moving to other positions or promotions. The pay is very well and the benefits are great.
Pros
Flexible schedule, benefits
MDF Specialist
MDF Specialist (Former Employee) –  DecaturOctober 8, 2018
Working at the MDF building was an experience I will never forget. The work was super easy, and slow paced. Anyone could work there at any level. Supervision was awful, they were 100% out of touch with problems in the warehouse. Many "personal" relationships happen in that building. One girl in particular has dated every man in the warehouse and acts completely inappropriately. She has also had men fired from there. It's a hellish place where the union steward is having an inappropriate relationship with a newer employee. This is 100% the type of thing you would deal with daily. Union and company arguments daily. Stay away from working at Ameren's MDF building.
Pros
Pay for Decatur
Cons
Everything else
Ameren is a great place to work
DISTRIBUTIONS OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILSeptember 5, 2018
Ameren is a great place to work. They have excellent benefits, training and job security.

I loved my job at Ameren- I was just tired and the swing shifts required to do my job were taking a tole on my health
Pros
Excellent Pay and benefits
Cons
Shift work and most jobs are in the St Louis area-
Excellent place to work
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 7, 2018
This is a great place to work for engineers, customer service representatives and union workers. High pay, great benefits. Many people retiring in the coming years so opportunity for growth.
Pros
culture, pay
Great Place to Work... Slow In Advancement
Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 11, 2017
Ameren is a great place to work. The culture is very diverse and Ameren is very dedicated to diversity. There are many opportunities to learn on the job, continue your training via outside education institutions or internally through Ameren's Training Group. There are also many opportunities to make "lateral" moves into new positions and learn something new.

Middle Management overall is good - depends on the department (but for the most part they middle managers are indeed good.) Senior Leadership has a history of being more of an "old boy" network with a few women sprinkled in.

If you want advancement though, you'll have to wait your turn... its all about seniority and who's good side are you on (old boy network I told you about.)
Pros
Excellent work place with great benefits, work life balance, and really care about the employees and making the work place great
Cons
Not so much in career advancement - its a long wait
Poor management
Energy Advisor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 11, 2019
A great entry level position for a college student but nothing long-term. The bonus structure was sub par and the advancement opportunities are limited,
Great place to work. Great people and above average benefits.
Procurement Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 22, 2018
Fun place to work with exceptional benefits. Hard to move up and if you turn down a promotion don't expect to be ever asked again. Very top down mgt. style (military). Have many union employees working in what are traditional salaried positions which I found quite bureaucratic and which slowed progress.
On the corporate level I have enjoyed working at Ameren.
Supervisor Instruments and Controls (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 30, 2018
At some of the remote locations I feel micro managed. I have a few more years to work so I would like a new challenge. We have been through several management changes recently.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Micro Managed
Good company with stable employment.
Civil Engineer- Dam Safety & Hydro Engineering (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 25, 2018
Ameren is a good, steady company. It provides a secure work environment. There is a good culture among employees and it is a fun place to work. The one criticism I heard from employees is that is can be slow paced.
Old school
Cyber Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 1, 2018
if you haven't been there for more than 15 years, you don't matter. they don't listen to new ideas. they are stuck doing things just because that is the way they have always done them, at least in the IT world.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
culture
Great Job in every way!!
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 2, 2018
Ameren is the best company a man can land a job with. I would still be there if I did not have a very uncommon situation back in 1996.
The company really endorses first rate training and follows the union labor contract perfectly. The stewards have their work cut out for sure as they are between professional workers and professional management. Nonetheless I highly recommend any opportunity to work for this company. AAA+++
Pros
Great pay, advancement, stability.
Cons
None.
Great company
LIGHT INDUSTRIAL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMay 1, 2018
Great company with solid room for advancement - competitive work environment but managers are enjoyable and work day is typically fast paced. Would recommend to a friend.
ok
Apprentice Lineman (Former Employee) –  Peoria, IL 61614August 25, 2018
its a good career if you like working in all weather coniditions. A lot of overtime and plenty of time off when you get your time in...................
High paced very competitve
Lean Continuous Improvement Leader (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 14, 2019
There are multiple meetings, trainings and leading. I learned a lot about Lean Continuous Improvement. I enjoyed the cross functional trainings and meeting different parts of the organization
very busy job title
Reach Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  MissouriDecember 28, 2018
wake up meet at the office or at aplace where alot of other drivers are at and wait on our routes to be sent out by our dispatchers then we write down our fastest route to the house
Pros
early mornings good pay
Cons
very slow winter
Great Company
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 3, 2019
Ameren is a great company to work for. I enjoyed the time I worked there, and the people. The company is very diverse, and a fun place to work. Location was also perfect.
Somewhat relaxed environment with good work/life balance
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 1, 2017
Complex structure and heavy management layers makes work environment somewhat less productive than it could be. New hires often selected for higher level jobs rather than preparing and promoting from within.
Pros
Free parking; healthcare and retirement benefits
Cons
Promotion/advancement; management often not suited to position
My time at Ameren
Call Center Leader (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 5, 2017
In my opinion, I consider Ameren as a great company to start a career at and to complete your career. There are So many knowledgeable and talented people from every culture employed at Ameren. Each person I came in contact with in my 30 plus years of employment was courteous, professional and just a solid person. With few exceptions, the supervisors, managers, and upper management team along with contract workers are all on one accord, growing Ameren and making sure the company continues to be the best in the energy segment.
I consider my co-workers to be an integral part of my family. Much Love and Respect generated from them toward me which always was the most enjoyable part of my job.
The hardest part of the job centered around long hours worked in the call center. DURING STORM SEASON, OUTAGES ARE VERY COMMON AND LENGTHY IN DURATION. To be "forced" to work beyond your shift is the worst and hardest part of your job. Not knowing when and if you will be released to go home can be a torment to your mind and body. Overall the best company ever.
Pros
Pay benefits Breakfast Lunch Dinner available for persons forced to work outage long stretches
No benefits for consultants
Consumer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Peoria, IL 61602January 26, 2018
Work environment was good. The full time employees were helpful and understanding. Had a good supervisor but management pacified questions of real concern. Hardest part of job was not having benefits or clear expectations on requesting time off or sick time.