Ameren
61Average

Ameren Employee Reviews

United States213 reviews
Pros: Overall it's a good company. Lots of changes in Digital. Most have been positive but there are a few that have not been good. I've been with the company a long time. It has been stable and provides good benefits.

Cons: Most new hires in the VMO are external people that are from Monsanto, a friend of the director, and white. There is no diversity in this group at all. These people are like dealing with the borg robot humans described in the Star Trek series. You must assimilate to the Monsanto way of thinking and doing things. Some of them even refer to themselves as the Monsanto Mafia.

This group has become a politically driven, divisive team that continues to add several layers of bureaucracy to the organization with little value to show for it. Lots of gossip and tales come out of this group too. No foundation or facts associated to them. The director is building a white empire.

Advice: Stop hiring from Monsanto and stop hiring all of your friends. Bring some diverse people in from companies the director has not worked for in the past. The supremist attitude and lack of embracing the servant leadership values of the Digital executive team is a problem. Not embracing the Ameren culture and Ameren's commitment to diversity is an even bigger problem.
Pros
See above
Cons
See above
This is company itself is amazing, HOWEVER, The leadership (manager and a couple select supervisors) within the Decatur call center is horrible, bias, and even to some extent racist. They do very well with keeping up with major diversity inclusion topics to appease the most higher up's but within the center it's certainly not a standard they live by. They make sure everyone is notified when the higher up's in coming for a visit and everyone is lectured to make sure they look and behave their best those days. To my understanding, many reports have been filed to HR from many, many people and nothing is ever really done. There are a couple supervisors even, that aren't happy because they feel constantly targeted or harassed. It's extremely micro-managed. I feel and have witnessed that retaliation is a very real thing here, but they have either figured out how to get a way with it, or have someone higher up in their corner saving them somehow. Or both. It's really sad because this really is an amazing company to work for otherwise. The CEO and President seem great, and are super personable. The company does pay quite nicely with great benefits.
The last six years the place has gone down hill with management employee turn over and failing to promote from within. All high paying leadership roles are being filled with people from outside of the company and not internally like they had promised 4 years ago. Rarely do the ever get rid of managers/supervisor who are horrible in his/her leadership roles. Until the last 24 months, getting training and certification opportunities had been difficult. I've been here 14 years and I've been passed over for promotion and different job opportunities, even though the company says they like to promote from within, they rarely do. This went from a place I wanted to spend 20+ years at and retire from, to now a place I'm actively looking to get away from cause I see they don't value myself and a lot of other hard working folks like they claim they do.
Work was rewarding knowing that you were able to assist customer to prevent their electric utility services from being disconnected due to non-payment.
Ameren is family oriented and cares about it's employees safety and health. If the weather is going to be bad in the winter they advise you to stay at home and work if possible. When ill Ameren wants you to stay home and get better. There are always people around you if you need help with an issue and the I.T. department is rather quick when you are having difficulties at your computer.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Several new hires in the last year coming from a local company that tanked and was bought out. They are bringing their bullying, threatening, unstable management ways with them.

These people have brought bullying, yelling, table pounding, tearing people down style with them and it's awful. It's a dark and sinister time. I fear they will destroy Ameren the same way they destroyed their former company.

The amount of money and time it takes to support everything they want and need is outrageous, and there's little to no value produced from it all. It's all politics, bureaucracy, paperwork, and pettiness from this crowd.

Why is Ameren Digital bringing on people that have already destroyed one company with their over bloated, dishonest ways of working and doing business? We are going to tank and be bought out by someone else if we're not careful. There's one group that has up staffed 4 times of what they were before and management has absolutely nothing to show for it other than a lot of extra headcount. No cost savings, no risk protection. Nothing. It's a total laughingstock.
I have been working at the contractor for more than a year
Pros

learning opportunities and a wide variety of areas to specialize in. Additionally, it's wonderful to work culture. The community and care for their employees surpass that of any other place I have been.

Cons

At a huge company, it is easy to get lost. To be successful you must know what you want to do and be willing to speak up to get there.
Once a great department to be in.
Ample vacation time and great benefits.

The qualities of the leadership that's been added to the Digital team in the past 2 years has been that of gaslighting, narcissism, and emotionally and verbally abusive behaviors and actions.

There is a constant stream of what-to-say-and-how-to-say-it coming from leadership these days. There's also advice and guidance on haircut and color, clothing selection, and much more. None of this is documented in the employee manual.

You can count on a manager taking you and several others aside after meetings to give you 'coaching' and 'feedback'. This typically entails a conversation along the lines of "I wouldn't have said it this way. I'd have said it another way instead." Was anyone offended? No. Were any laws or rules broken? No. It just didn't pattern what the manager would have done so therefore it was 'wrong'. It's gotten crazy. Most of us are afraid to even send out an email anymore for fear of the tearing down meeting that comes afterwards. Life is far too short to deal with this daily emotional wrangling and nitpicking. There was a time when our managers were too busy working on important things to behave in this way.

I use to love coming to work every day. Nowadays I dread it. You never know when you're going to be spoken down to, trivialized, or called onto the carpet for nothing. Due dates change and move forward on a whim. Conversations that no one but leadership can recall having happened. A regular stream of put downs and insensitive comments. It's become a very negative work
 - more...
Ameren is very customer-focused. They are willing to get together impacted areas to work through issues and develop approaches that make sense in the long term, even if it makes things more challenging in the short term.
I feel as though it would be great company to work for if they did not just look for things to fire their employees for. Instead of appreciating the good in their employees they only focus on the negative.
Pros
overtime, free food
Cons
no job security
Last option I would consider. Old school, too many older employees that need to retire and move on. Lots of excess overstaffing, waste, hugely bureaucratic, inefficient, tolerate bullying and toxic, retaliatory behaviors by managers. Directors have no spines or think they are little kings and queens of their universe. Need Carl Icahn to come in and gut it and start over.
Ability to utilize your best skills and share insights among team members who are looking to find a better ways of performing their tasks. Lean continuous improvement a high priority.
Being outside all summer was not the best idea for someone who usually spends their days indoors, but being to meet new people every day was entertaining.
When i started there i used to love going to work. The longer i worked there it got very frustrating.
There is reverse discrimination. Family favoritism. Whites are passed over for reassignment if one of the black family members want it.

I retired after 17 yrs because of all of the issues there.
Customer service is the worst department within the company. We all have different responsibilities but they treat each department as if we all take phone calls
IL side of Ameren could use more diversity. Although they display that is what they are trying to achieve, the population of the IL employees does not represent that policy.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
high school environment
Work place culture was constantly evaluated and necessary culture change activity initiated to sustain the desired work culture! This was a favorable and effective strategy!
Pros
Exceptional training in all fields!
Cons
Management employees downsizing separation, 25 years & age 55+, during the "Great Recession" 09/2009 - 12/2010.
My management doesn’t want teamwork just military style management and micromanagement. My review was totally a bad surprise. No coaching or leadership. It sucked.
It would be helpful if older coworkers are more welcoming to internship student but they are rather hostile. I Had more than two supervisors assinged to me and they have me work on unrelated project as compared to the project that I was hired for. One of the supervisors mentioned they intended I fail in my internship experience.
Good for them.
good place to work
for full time, place is nice,a nd helps in ur personal/professional growth.

Will work again if i get chance, very nice place. will work again
Work was in a coal fired power plant, so it was filthy, hard and hot work, with managers constantly in a state of urgency, even when not needed. The pay was very good; which is the only reason I stayed for 34 years.
Pros
The workforce
Cons
Management, from corporate on down.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ameren. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.3Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight