America's Car-Mart Employee Reviews

holiday activities
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burlington, IANovember 20, 2018
Drama people, good money but I believe in famiky time famiky is important and not 12 hours 9-9 6 days a week but it was unorganized and I need organization great people positive vibes I’m a good person over all and wanna be around good people.
Pros
Cons
12 hour days 6 days a week
na
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALNovember 15, 2018
It was okay, but they moved me to fast and I had a short notice for my family. Tuscaloosa location was nice, but the others I would not refer to anyone.
great place
head of detail (Former Employee) –  Sedalia, MONovember 2, 2018
The job was great the people were great but the pay wasnt enough to pay the bills in the town i was in. i enjoyed the work it was close and they let me do as a needed and thy were very understand able about my leaving.
Pros
free food was available on some days
Cons
pay
Benefits are not equal to other organizations.
Not Named (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, AROctober 28, 2018
PTO time and holiday time should be increased in order to be more competitive with other companies.
Company does a good job of trying to train associates when they change procedures by requiring online training modules.
I wish I saw more smiling faces each day. Too many people look like they're not happy working at Car-Mart.
The CEO is a great guy.
Always enjoyed detailing and light maintenance on vehicles so i enjoyed that part!
Detailer (Former Employee) –  West Plains, MOOctober 25, 2018
Car-Mart seemed like a awesome place to work, not hard work, and staff seemed friendly. A couple months after I started our manager informed us corporate is making him move, so then it began, we couldn't find a manager to stick around, our to do list got almost impossible to complete in a days work, and the staff loved to gossip about one another.
Pros
If you need anything to help make your job easier, managers are quick to help
Cons
Gossip, drama, unrealistic to do list
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Okmulgee, OKOctober 25, 2018
Hostile work environment, shady car sales, horrible customer service and discrimination. Management only cares about sales, not their employees. They sell cars that are in horrible shape and then put them in the shop for weeks at a time. It's a clique-high school environment, not professional at all and they discriminate against people they don't care for and they try to get them to quit as opposed to firing them because they refuse to pay unemployment.
working at carmart
Senior Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Neosho, MOOctober 23, 2018
You meet a lot of people the job is okay except the fact that they do not understand the meaning of teamwork and what ever you are hired for they have you work every position and the management does not back you up when needed to do your job. the pay is good but the way the employees are treated and and the way employees treat each other really needs to be improved. not to mention be prepared to not have a family life. this job will take over everything in your life.
Crabs in a barrell mentality
Sales (Former Employee) –  Cottondale, ALOctober 22, 2018
They pick and choose their favorites, this determines your advancement in the company. It isnt based on work ethic or capability. Basically who is the best brown noser WINS! They implement team work but its every man for himself, sink or swim its up to you because if they can push you down to get ahead they will.
Pros
The hours are consistent
Cons
During tax season expect to be worked like a slave. Chaos!
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK'October 21, 2018
i enjoyed my time working her, I had a great bunch of people that I worked with, and Our GM was stern but caring. We were like a family. And we all enjoyed working together.
Love car_mart of tuscallosa
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cottondale, ALOctober 9, 2018
Great place to work period !!!!!! Awesome managers & co_workers great pay for the type of company it is and they actually give an annual raise and commend you on your work if you have been doing well.
Pros
free food
Cons
They will work thru any situation with you
Corp office
corp (Current Employee) –  corpOctober 6, 2018
I work at the Corp office and the people that I work with are great! Everyone is friendly and like family. There are days that it is very stressful because you are asked to do so much but you are paid very little and when you bring it up you are told that is just the way it is.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
low pay
America's Car-Mart
Inventory Associate (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYSeptember 6, 2018
Better than working in fast food but don't believe everything they tell you upon hire because it's most likely a lie to get you to work for them. You will work there for 2 years without getting a raise or bonus and everything you do will be unappreciated and unacknowledged.
Pros
Somewhat decent hours.
Cons
Everything else.
Run and don’t look back, you will not be valued and will always be reminded that you can be replaced
General Manager, Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Forrest City, ARSeptember 3, 2018
They paint an awesome picture and make very large promises that will never be delivered upon. While i can say that I did enjoy my job and working with and helping customers and employees be successful. If you are luck y to get a good location you can do well and make great money. However if you are not one of the select few and end up with a small lot in a poor area like the lot I ended up with in Forrest City AR. You will struggle from day one. I did have success and was the manager of the month which was a first for that location and I won several other awards as well. They ultimately decided to close my location down and I was relocated to Springfield Mo. as an assistant Manager. The general manager position came open around that time as well and I was not even considered for it and they stuck a guy in there that had never ran a lot. He had been an AOM for a few years but there is a lot of things about running a lot that he didn’t know. If you are lucky to be handed the keys to a store like Springfield North a six figure salary is very easy to attain. They do try to live up to their mission vision and values however they are getting so big they have lost sight of it all. I was treated like I had done bad and that my store closing was all my fault, however at the time all I had was praise and pats on the back. In this company it’s all about who’s butt your kissing and that’s all there is to it. It is hard to hire and keep decent employees because they don’t pay well at all...unless you are in management and if you are you are in constant fear of loosing your job. They are  more... now making a transiston to having a GM run more than one store, but only that select few golden boys. Take it from experiance and don’t fall into this trap and run fast the other way.  less
Pros
Helping customers, meet a lot of nice people
Cons
Everything else, selling High prices low quality vehicles to people that don’t have any other choice
Great company to work for
Future Manager (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSAugust 29, 2018
Great company. Great management. Awesome company to look for if you’re looking for updward mobility. I’ve enjoyed working here and plan on continuing my career here.
Stay focused on task at hand!
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Camden, ARAugust 27, 2018
You're not there for friends! No one has your back but you!! Do your job duties to the best of your ability and knowledge! Learn when possible! The training videos are very helpful and come out monthly.
Pros
Great atmosphere as long as you stay focused!
Cons
Trust no one.
Great company with room for advancement
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Corinth, MSAugust 25, 2018
Most everyone in upper management has moved up in the company. Room for advancement. Car-Mart has great values that you won't find with most companies. Great place to work.
Ok place to work
Sr. Office Manager (Former Employee) –  West Memphis, ARAugust 24, 2018
The company is ok to work for, however, men advance quicker than women in this company. This is the case even when the women were more qualified to do the job.
Rat Race
General Manager (Current Employee) –  ArkansasAugust 24, 2018
Don’t waste your time. It’s cut throat and all about who you know not what you know. The hours are long and they expect you to stay over not caring about your home time
Pros
Decent money
Cons
Long hours work 6 days a week
Fun people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Claremore, OKAugust 24, 2018
I had a great experience at Car mart. The manager to the lot assistant made everyday fun and exciting. I wish I could go back! I made a mistake which was used against me from an account rep and her co-worker after HR conducted an investigation proving I was innocent by the other co-workers backing me up.
Pros
People and customers
Cons
Time away from family.
Potential to Be a Great Company; Preaches Core Values and Uses Them Only When It Benefits Them and Their Preferred Outcome
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, ARAugust 11, 2018
If you are a "people person", this is a rewarding career. Very competitive environment amongst other lots. Room for fast advancement throughout. BUT...... always remember "FAIR is what you pay to get on the bus (fare)". The tenured managers gets away with producing hostile work environments, as long as they are selling cars and profitable. Do not count on this company to "look out" for you or care about you being treated badly. HR and corporate is there to protect the company (ei top producing managers) and not anybody who may be effected by his or her manager's poor leadership, untouchable and demeaning rhetoric spewed on them, violent outburst and fits (not to mention yelling and throwing thing) that is somehow being translated by his/her superiors as "passion", getting your job threatened once a week and plain ole everyday, dark cloud and uncomfortable work environment. You will consistently be told you "have no integrity" but the same ones that lie to you everyday about something.
Most of these very tenured GMs are considered "unapproachable" but their own managers and associates. Formal or informal complaints against them are not taken seriously with no investigations/interviews and usually swept under the rug. Which tells me all I need to know in the years I've worked for Car-Mart. They're core values DO NOT match their unspoken actions. You will get snatched under the bus if you are not liked by the wrong person, no matter how good your work history and likability is within the company. I want to have a long career at America's Car Mart, but they are still stuck in
  more... the 90s "boiler room" tactics of car sales and employee/employer relations. The new CEO is a good man and proven. I'm not sure if he knows what's going on at the lot level with these issues.  less
Pros
Advancement, fast paced, fulfilling, stability, longevity, and decent, but not great pay
Cons
Long hours for non-hourly employees, tons or stress, bad GMs (not all but most), usually an hostile work environment, and a HR department that turns a blind eye to those complaints and environments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at America's Car-Mart. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight