America's Thrift Store Employee Reviews

Not what it used to be
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSJuly 11, 2019
America’s thrift store changed ownership. Since then the bottom line is the focus. Company used to guarantee 40 hour work week to keep employee turnover low. Now they try to keep you at 20 hours. Managers get good pay but workers are paid peanuts. Difficult for managers when turnover is high. They have reversed much of previous owners policies. They got rid of vacation time. Very disorganized now.
Company partners with great charities to help fund good causes.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 19, 2019
I worked for America's Thrift Store a "for profit" business for over 10 years. The company portrays to give millions of dollars to local charities. That is what attracted me to the company in the beginning. Company leadership has become too focused on the "for profit" side instead, giving only a small percentage of money collected to charities that they support. Employees are treated as expendable when they get in the way of profits. Low wages for hourly staff - HIgh salaries for upper management.
Fun but stressful
Production/Clothing Grader (Former Employee) –  Alabaster, ALJune 3, 2019
The people were fun but the job was ridiculous, it cant be fair to not know when you are getting off of work.The time we were supposed to go on lunch was right at 12 and its a busy part of town so you could barely make it in time to eat. I just think when you go into work you should know when you are leaving.
Pros
people, management
Cons
short breaks, management
terrible place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gadsden, ALMay 24, 2019
I wouldn't work there ever again and I don't recommend that you do either especially in retail. The management is lazy and sit in the office all day until they decide to come out once every 2 hours. They are also very unorganized with how they sort things. If you want a manager you either have to ask someone to go get them for you whenever you see another worker or you have to walk all the way in the back so then when you come out the line is even longer. The other people that are working don't help and if they're on the floor they don't clean up. The store is always a mess because the other employees there don't do what they are supposed to do. When they start training they show you once how to do it, watch you do it, and then leave, and then they'll come back up once every other hour and see if you're okay.

If they want to fix their store they need to be more organized, hire better management and employees who do their job, and clean up the areas.
Cons
everything
Ats
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Alabaster, ALMay 20, 2019
My responsibilities is to hang clothing merchandise on correct hangers, organize merchandise to be taken  to sales floor. I have a goal of approximately 1000 pieces that must be met each day. All merchandise is to be counted and recorded on daily edit logs. Count inventory and sort in bins have it shipped to different store  locations as needed. I enjoyed working in a team environment. It's also a great place to work.
Pros
Paid time off, lunches
Benefits
Over worked under paid
Personnel Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alabaster, ALMay 16, 2019
The turn over rate is extremely high due to low pay with the expectation of the daily jobs asked to preform. There was either an abundance of work or nothing to do at all.
Stressful, thankless and incredibly frustrating place to work
Misc. baggerWholesale Lead (Former Employee) –  Jasper, ALApril 19, 2019
In past 2 yrs, they've had 3 managers. High turnover due to incompetent management. "Rules" change constantly; Constant confusion. Just not worth it.
Pros
Unless sales were down, full time was pretty much 40 hours a week.
Cons
"Point" system, no career advancement, indifferent CEO, lack of communication between employees and management
Ats
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pell City, ALApril 8, 2019
Upper management not completely honest in time frames of promotion. When I received my promotion the store I was assigned to was a 3 hour round trip drive daily.
Assistan manager retail (Former Employee) –  Gardendale, ALFebruary 23, 2019
There is growth potential from inside the company. They would rather promote current employees than bring from the outside. Great benefits including insurance dental and vision.
Awful place
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Pell City, ALDecember 26, 2018
The management staff are extremely rude and hard to work for. They play favoritism. They tell you that you will be hired as full time but they put you as part time! You don't get any type of benefits. They never give you the hours your supposed to get! They don't give breaks like they are supposed to. They refused to let me go to the restroom while I was working, they said if I went to the restroom that I would be written up or fired, even though I had doctor records stating that I had a medical issue that required me to go to the restroom any time that I needed to and that I couldn't hold it for longer than a couple of minutes. Instead of them letting me take a couple of days off work when my grandmother fell and was in the hospital, they made me quit my job and sign a piece of paper saying that I couldn't be hired back and that I couldn't file for unemployment. It is just one of the worst companies that I have ever worked for!
Cons
no breaks, no benefits
Poor Senior Management
Assistant Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Athens, GANovember 3, 2018
Manager made many promises with no intentions of keeping them. Corporate treated me like royalty, until they found out I was not willing to relocate upon demand to other locations, most of which were out of state.
Pros
10% purchase discounts, insurance, pto
Cons
inconsistency as far as training and exoectations
Productive but not rewarded for the work
Production (Current Employee) –  Decatur, ALSeptember 5, 2018
The management was not as great as it should have been. There was no room for advancement or raises. The workplace culture was pretty well. A typical day at work included coming in to do my job and once my job was over I would help others finish in order to be more productive.
Not a good environment to work in
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALAugust 31, 2018
With new and mature management America’s thrift store in Tuscaloosa, Alabama could be a wonderful place to work ! I definitely wouldn’t recommend anyone to work there until changes are made
Stressful job with minimal oversight or direction
Dock Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alabaster, ALJuly 2, 2018
Long hours for low pay even in management positions. Workplace culture was every man for himself. Many who work at ATS have little education or experience.
Cruel Managment
Floor worker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 8, 2018
The management does not consider its workers. I was hurt coming into work and they insisted that I work anyhow. Management is also rude and lazy. Night manager constantly takes smoke breaks and is very rude. Workers are rude to each other. You are constantly standing and customers are unforgiving.
Fun hard work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALJune 5, 2018
I enjoyed my time working there. It had its stressful moments. Started as a cashier ended becoming store manager. I worked from 2014--2016. The complete time i was there I really got to experience a whole side of myself. Strength.
Pros
Discounts off on Sunday
Cons
na
hours not good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prattville, ALJune 2, 2018
bad management wont recommend to anyone to go to work there it was a nice place to shop before I worked for the company now im not interested in going anymore.
America's Thrift store
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 18, 2018
This is not the store for me. Management are all over the place. sometimes the regular employees have more management skills then the manager. The employees over all are very nice and make u feel like family.
Pros
10 percent discounts
Cons
No paid off time no overtime no time and a half for holiday
Work enviroment was relaxed yet tense at times.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 11, 2018
Most of the job was spent siting in front of a computer entering info from the phone calls. I learned how to use the computer.
the best part of the job was knowing that it was Christian based business and that the money was used to help.
Pros
was able to sit and not stand all day and was able to take breaks when needed
Cons
ended up with poor health benefits and hours were cut.
interacting with customers needs in purchasing items
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ocean Springs, MSMarch 20, 2018
It was a great opportunity working for this company. I would recommend it to a friend. Interacting with customers on a daily basis was a great experience and assisting their needs with purchasing items.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at America's Thrift Store. Our community is ready to answer.