American 1 Credit Union Employee Reviews

management is not trustworthy
Account Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIFebruary 4, 2019
Sales is all they care about, they say customer service, but what matters is getting applications for loans, credit cards

New manager came in and 2 months later she got me fired for now reason at all . Members loved me,
Pros
decent pay
Cons
cant trust management
Not a long Term Job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJanuary 30, 2019
American 1 Credit Union is a good stepping stone into the work place, as per a first time job. But was not a place to really stay on long term. The hours were difficult to work around and make any plans for weekend trips. And the working atmosphere just wasn't very positive to be in.
Hard place to work if you have a family
Staff training in customer service and loans (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MISeptember 21, 2018
Working at American 1 is difficult if you have a family. Your hours are good for the members, but working there makes it hard for your family. They work with the people they want to but others get stuck with the hours everyone else doesn't want.
Pros
vacation time
Cons
hours
Expect to much from their employees
Account Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, MIFebruary 5, 2018
American 1 Credit Union offers very good benefits and decent room for advancement. Beyond that, I did not have a good overall experience.

A typical day would consist of the manager passing the buck and refusing to wait on members that entered the building.

The pay was not great unless you could meet the unrealistic goals that allowed for commission to be made. I have been in sales and customer service my whole working career and the goals American 1 has in place are near unobtainable, making it almost impossible to receive a decent commission.

Working hours are terrible for people that have families or wish to go back to school and further their education.
Benefits
Cons
Culture thoughout the entire company
Offers great benefits
Teller (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJanuary 7, 2018
Offers great benefits, somewhat accommodating to schedule requests, management isn't consistent. They move staff around a lot. They say they promote from within but only if it meets the need of the company.
Motivated Staff, but more focused on Product Pushing than Employee Health/Morale
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIOctober 16, 2017
A decent place to work if you are outgoing and love a fast-paced environment. Sales people will enjoy this employer as they are very focused on pushing their products on members, almost aggressively so. You will feel pressure from management if you struggle to suggest/sell products to members, and you will be looked down upon for not keeping up with your piers, which can make the experience miserable. Working with members is gratifying and by far the most enjoyable experience.
Pros
Hour Lunches, Benefits, Time Passes Quickly, Fun and Fast Environment
Cons
Very Aggressive Sales Culture
Member driven
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 24, 2017
Members are the top priority at A1. They provide excellent benefits to staff but the pay could be a little better to stop the high turn over rate. Not a lot of support from upper management. A1 has a very strong voice in the community which is nice to see. Hours are longer than all other financial institutions.
benefits
Cons
hours, pay, short staffed=no lunches
Professional place to work.
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grass Lake, MIApril 10, 2017
The offer training and support, they are nice people and I was able to work at the Grass Lake Branch, so the members were laid back and friendly. It was a nice place to work.
Great Co-workers, Okay Management
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIFebruary 18, 2017
I wouldn't say its a terrible job but the management could use some improvement depending on what branch you work at. They are good at approving time off and giving you benefits but they might tell you one thing and then change it a week later.
Pros
Hour lunch, Some holidays off
Cons
Long shifts, No teller appreciation
I loved the work I did. It was challenging. Never had 2 days alike.
Branch Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIDecember 5, 2016
My day would start by helping balance ATM Machines and filling them for the day.

Loading cash machines.

Doing Audits on Branches

Most of all working with all my employees.

The hardest was working with other Managers since I had to find replacements for employees who called in sick for our other 6 offices.
Pros
Pretty much was in charge of my day
Cons
Long Hours over 80 hours a week, Health Insurance since it was designed for people who lived in the Jackson Area.
It's ok
Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 15, 2016
Basically just like a bank. It was the job I took after college until I could find something more long term. If you don't like customer service you will hate it.
Pros
nothing
Cons
grueling
Great People and Institution
Accounting Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJune 27, 2016
The upper management, especially Human Resources, are fantastic. I struggled to fit in with my department and was there for a fairly short time, but everyone there is friendly and enjoyable.
The only downside of the institution is their benefits. They are fantastic if you are single or do not need to add a family member / spouse. If you do need to add your family to it, however, it is extremely expensive.
Pros
Almost Everything
Cons
Health Benefits
not a good place to work
Account Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJune 7, 2016
I wouldn't recommend to work here. They have a big turn over and keeps letting go of employees for such things. The management is terrible. They do not treat employees equally.
I wouldn't recommend to bank here also, who would want to bank and wait to different tellers at all times. I wouldn't trust anyone to touch my account here because they will screw you around. Do not bank here.

Plus, the wait in line is so long all the time... Not very recommended overall!
Pros
long lunch
Cons
management and overall
Great company to work for, very first real job.
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Albion, MIJuly 24, 2015
Greeting customers and helping with their banking needs. Learned to work with the public and learned great customer service skills. Management was awesome, took their time to teach you everything you need to know in the banking business.
Great Team!
Payroll & Benefits Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJune 3, 2015
American 1 has amazing people who work very hard at making their members the #1 priority. Co-workers are friendly and knowledgeable in their positions. A1 also has great benefits and many opportunities for advancement!
Pros
Opportunities
Great place to work.
Payroll and Benefits Coordinator. (Current Employee) –  718 E. Michigan Ave.June 3, 2015
Have worked at American 1 for a long time, wages are very good and the benefits are excellent. Management and co-workers all work as a team and you can always find help if you need it.
Management is always striving to keep programs up to date and more efficient.
Pros
Clothing and Computer allowance. Tuition assistance
Cons
Would be nice to have family dental.
Hard-working credit union, fun place to work
Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MISeptember 22, 2014
The corporate staff doesn't turn over quickly so there wasn't much room for advancement. Compensation seemed consistent with other credit unions/banks, so it was okay. VP's were very qualified and handled their jobs and situations very well. Some management was tougher to work for, but that is typical of the work force.
Enjoyable place to work
Account Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJune 8, 2014
This employer provides a great work place with great co-workers. They have excellent benefits!
Fast paced field, great start for anyone!
Teller/Vault Teller (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJanuary 31, 2014
Maintaining accounts for members. Counting cash, balancing General Ledgers, cross selling account and products.
Pros
Paid time off and sick time
Cons
long work days and working weekends
I worked at a very fast pace credit union.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MINovember 30, 2013
I worked with large amounts of money. I answered phones and worked with customers.
Pros
I was always busy, which I loved.
Cons
Peolpe following you home. Mad customers would threat you if you mad them mad.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American 1 Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.

American 1 Credit Union Reviews by Location