American Advisors Group Employee Reviews

JOKE-don't get sucked in
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 5, 2019
AAG are LIARS about everything!! They are sooo full of themselves and a complete waste of time. If you've sold a stinky, used pair of shoes, you can do better than this place.
Pros
401K match
Cons
they are deceptive and sneaky and dishonest and disloyal and dumb
Great atmosphere
Licensed Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GADecember 6, 2018
Atypical work day was calls and more calls. Learned the Reverse Mortgage with engaged management. The work place was delightful. I strived at the workplace until HUD changes were made.
Pros
Free lunch at times
Cons
They talk the talk but don't walk the walk.
Loan Officer and Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Orange, CANovember 13, 2018
Things have improved greatly in the past 6 months. Changes in management and pay. Benefits are good. BUT the Stress is great and you must work OT to get work done. Sat too. Moral is low and many people leave for better pay elsewhere. I loved and was loyal to the company but they still laid me off when I was forced to go back on disability due to a rare illness. It hurt. They do listen and try to make things better for the employees. Sometimes it just takes too long and too little too late.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Nobody takes breaks and rarely lunches are taken unless they bring food in.
Can't pay the mortgage with Donuts or Pizza
Reverse Mortgage Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 12, 2018
A lot more fluff and form over substance at this company. I found the middle management disrespectful of loan officers and borrowers, to the point of abuse.

They are more concerned about the exact wording of your sales pitch (which was unbelievably insulting to senior citizens who many times told you as much) and you submitting loans, whether they funded or not - that doesn't make any sense to me. They didn't care if a Reverse Mortgage was the best option for a particular borrower and pushed you to pressure borrowers, which I think is unethical.

It wasn't all bad, but it was a learning experience working there, and not one I would like to repeat.
Pros
Good Tech Support
Cons
Extreme Micromanagement
Qualified Experienced MLO's Need Not Apply
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 9, 2018
When I was hired at AAG I was encouraged by the interviewer's positive comments about the company mission, high employee satisfaction and low turn over, number of direct transfer calls we could expect each month (40+) and the compensation an "average" LO could expect to earn with that number of qualified leads, the excellent employee benefits, and management's role in mentoring and supporting an LO's success. I was very confident, based on what I was told and my capabilities, that I could easily not only meet but exceed the required sales goals.

A big part of what sold me was that I was told repeatedly that I was being "hired for your unique personality, integrity, and proven success in the lending industry so don't change a thing". Then, the minute I started, they were on a mission to train that unique personality and integrity out of me! I have over 20 years experience in mortgage and other consumer based businesses and have been very successful in developing genuine rapport with and earning the trust of my clients that resulted in a strong referral base business.

AAG says they offer paid training that will ensure your success in Reverse Mortgages. What they don't tell you is that the "training" will involve attending a minimum of 3 - 5 hours a day of completely disjointed inconsistent conflicting redundant sessions by middle management "sales coaches" or former "team leads" that were a waste of time for anyone with even a little experience or any brains. During the time I was in training (6 weeks TOO long), they changed the process a dozen times, handed out literally
  more... scraps of paper with poorly written sales "pitches" (punctuation and grammar not their strong suit) that we were to follow verbatim. This was reinforced by weekly one-on-one call reviews with inexperienced "call coaches" telling you exactly how to talk to senior citizens about their most valuable asset, their home. It was nothing short of ridiculous.

I probably could have stayed at AAG, but what management wanted you to say to the clients if you met the least resistance and what I heard on the floor, literally made me sick to my stomach and I was burned out after 6 months.

Regarding the leads - I never received more than 25 leads a month (some weeks NO new leads) and more than half of those were "non-quals" where they could not be converted no matter what, because the borrowers simply did not qualify.

In all honesty I think the company CEO does have good intentions, but the company has grown so fast that he is completely out of touch with what is happening on the floor. The self serving micromanaging middle management will be the undoing of AAG. The turnover is ridiculously high. Of the 10 other LO's I started with (most with very successful mortgage or sales experience), only 4 are still employed.

And, before you say it, I'm not disgruntled (currently fielding several excellent offers from other companies), just being truthful. And I did enjoy working with some of my co-workers there.
Pros
Nice office, covered parking
Cons
Extreme Micromanagement, Stressful Environment
Run for the Hills, these are Slimy sales people not caring people
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 1, 2018
The Managers have preferential treatment to their favorite loan officers, so it makes it easier for them to succeed. The company also is not fair in the amount of leads they provide you. The top reps get 112-130 leads a month and regular Loan officers only get 30-40 loan, thereby making impossible to submit as many loans as the top loan officers, but yet you are all graded by how many submissions you bring in. The company promises you good leads, but the leads they provide you are cold calls that you have to convert into a lead. Don't believe them. They are so bad, they will tell you not to share what the fees are to the borrower on the phone, which I find unethical just to get a customer to spend money to get a Hud counseling certificate.
Pros
if you like omitting valuable information you will love this place
Cons
They lie about everything
Nice spokeperson but not a great company
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAOctober 29, 2018
Toxic company culture. Commission structure changes all the time. Management that can not lead. The one brightside with American Advisors is their training. You will be ready to be on the sales floor when you completed their extensive few weeks of training
Pros
Work hours is nice.
Cons
Toxic. They hired druggies and questionable characters.
Loved this job!
Retail Reverse Mortgage Loan Originator (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAOctober 27, 2018
I loved working at AAG. It was very laid back environment, casual attire, flexible hours, they didn't micromanage the sales teams, the bonuses were obtainable, they were fair. I only left the job because government red tape changed the industry and slowed business down. Otherwise, I would still be there today. The only complaint I had about the company is that a lot of the management team separated themselves from the sales floor - they weren't friendly, they don't smile and say hello. Just didn't make sense.
Pros
Flexible hours and casual atmosphere
Cons
Unfriendly management
Good place to work, pwmer has great modow
Customer Relationship Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAOctober 25, 2018
The only problem is lack of organization within managers, they get promoted and leave their team members up in the air.
Not all managers are like that, that maybe why some in are department were ignored when asked for raises or letters of recommendation.
Pros
Good general enviroment, up beat, They dont micro manage you
Cons
Our department got left up in air, no orgazation, need more pay or commissions
Aggressive forward looking company
Reverse Mortgage Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2018
AAG is the leader in the Reverse Mortgage market and continually seeks to maintain and increase that brand dominance. They also are aggressively moving into related areas.
Pros
Forward looking
Cons
Inconsistent lead flow
Unstable Environment
Underwriter II (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CASeptember 13, 2018
Consistency of guidelines and management direction is fluid to business needs. Company promotes culture, but unless you are a mass producer that does not care for quality, you are on the short list.
Horrible place to work
Senior Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 4, 2018
Management are incompetent and inconsistent with their practices. Upper managers only care about numbers and expect you to work miracles on poorly structured loans.
Pros
Working with their customers and along side great co-workers
Cons
Worthless management
open
Branch Manager/Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 23, 2018
open book at this time great company growing in many ways, constantly striving to be the number one within the industry. definitely a place that would be recommended
Mortgage industry
MORTGAGE LOAN OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAAugust 6, 2018
American Advisers group is the leader of reverse mortgage and has become its own brand. Day will consist of calling warm leads, taking a credit application and building trust
Great Company
Junior Underwriter/Direct Endorsement Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 26, 2018
Huge company. So you gotta be able to keep up in the fast paced environment. Great benefits. Great work culture. Theres always activities and events taking places!!!
Pros
Great benefits and work culture
Cons
Micro management. Not enough parking.
Loan Originator
Loan Originator (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 10, 2018
AAG is a good company to work for. Management is very good. They hire only good people so the atmosphere is excellent. Their training is top notch. Very good company!
Culture filled and productive place to work
DE UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAJuly 3, 2018
This company is filled with people that are dedicated tho their jobs and driven to succeed. The focus remains on the future and how to grow the company's potential. The toughest part of the job for me was not the base pay rate but the lack of reasonable bonus plan for my department and the new way of grading for quality which is unreasonable and not fully audited prior to the reporting stage.
Pros
Culture, Cooperative environment
Cons
Lack of opportunity for internal advancement, lack of reasonable bonus plan
It's a starter job.
Mortgage Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 13, 2018
A typical day at work involved arriving around 8:00 but leads don't come in until later. It's very stressful because mortgage industry is always changing.
Pros
hours
Cons
emotional support
Lots of pomp but difficult to deliver because of weak processing.
Reverse Mortgage Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAJune 3, 2018
Great work culture. Great training. Lousy processing. Takes forever to close loans. Lots of training. Didn't feel micromanaged which was freeing. Hardest part was constantly apologizing to clients on why their loans were not read to close yet.
Fast paced, energetic and exciting
Inside Sales - Traditional Mortgages Division (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CAJune 2, 2018
The vast majority of folks complaining about AAG were simply not ready for the job or didn't understand what they were getting in to.It's a sales job, folks, and like any sales jobs you'll be judged by your performance. To prepare you, the company offers world class sales training and coaching. If you're constantly working to improve and implement the strategies they give you, you'll find all the support you need. If you're commitment is half-hearted or you you're doing the bear minimum until you can get to "some other opportunity", the company does, and will do, an excellent job at weeding you out so you can seek other opportunities. It's not personal, it's business. Is the company perfect? By no means but you'll be very hard pressed to find the same quality sales training elsewhere. You can, unequivocally, be a $100k+ a year inside sales rep at this company if you are persistent, patient and teachable. It's not rocket science.
Pros
Sales training, work/life balance, comradery, income potential

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Advisors Group. Our community is ready to answer.