American Advisors Group

American Advisors Group Employee Reviews

American Advisors Group insights

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging

easy job as long as you keep to yourself

the company is great if you're just getting your foot in the door. at the beginning there's hope that everything that you're told about the environment is true. however once time goes on you notice the issues that sparkle you had at the beginning fizzles. this job is good if you absolutely keep to yourself. everyone is a bit problematic. management does play favorites and if you're not one of the lucky few good luck. I've seen the sweetest person I have ever known get the worst treatment by a lead due to information given by another envious employee who was a favorite. I feel as if management really has no grasp of what goes on in the floor.

Pros

fast paced environment

Cons

healthcare benefits, management, environment

Things never stay the same…

Processes change every week which makes it so difficult to close a loan. You have to constantly look stupid to borrowers. There is zero accountability with some departments and when it’s brought to the attention of upper management they don’t even respond.

Pros

Remote

Cons

Benefits, bonus structure

AAG is a fantastic place to work!

in the industry for 20 years, I have to say this is the most genuine of employers. Kind, helpful, patient, encouraging, and no matter what one's title is, everyone here helps out willingly.

Pros

Very transparent management

Cons

absolutely none.

Great training provided

Training is excellent. Office culture is fun. Sale is easy. My manager was unethical, they would promise to give borrowers more money after closing to ensure they sign the paperwork and then of course no money ever materialized. Then the person is calling and calling. They don't close your loans either, processing and closing don't have it together and nothing gets done on files for months. Overall it was a great place to work and you can make money here, but don't expect to make the money they say everyone is making.

Pros

Free lunches, office parties, remote work during COVID

Cons

Processing, money isn't as good as other mortgage companies

September 8, 2021
We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for sharing with us your concerns about AAG management. We’re sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. At AAG we continually seek to recruit managers who are great leaders, who motivate and empower their teams. As well as recruiting great leaders, we believe in building our talent from within, by training and developing our management into successful professionals. We wish you the best of luck in your next initiative.

It's Alright

When I first began working at AAG i heard this rumor that "AAG is where loan officers go to die." It made me chuckle at first but it's true. They are a good company to work for in the sense that if you do not have any mortgage experience they will train you, pay for licensing, and get your foot in the door. They truly do believe in work/life balance, which is rare in this industry. The managers and trainers are great and there truly is a work life balance, you just aren't going to make any money. Loans take 5 or more months to fund and at that point the borrowers are frustrated and so are you. With such slow turn around times there are few people making 6 figures. It is rare to fund more than 5 loans a month. When i left AAG and went to a traditional mortgage company i'm funding 25 or more loans a month and made 6 figures within the first few months of the year. If you're looking to make 50k a year this is a great company. I was looking to make 250k a year and it isn't possible there.

Your experience matters.

Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.

Terrible company

This company is the worst company you can possibly work for. Horrible management, they have no values or respect at all in the office. Really bad environment to put yourself in, extremely toxic with very negative people. They will tell you all lies, so you have to get everything in writing or else nothing was said or promised. Everyone talks behind everyone’s back. Force you to work overtime every month, and make you feel bad if you don’t. You are under paid, and they tell you that you have to work one year in order to change to a different position. Many people have been there for multiple years and have yet to receive a pay increase.

Pros

Cons

Literally everything

June 7, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of AAG. We pride ourselves on providing thorough training to all employees, to include on-line tutorials, and on the job, hands-on training, to ensure that all employees have all the tools needed to effectively do their jobs. At AAG we believe in building our talent from within by training and developing our management leaders into successful professionals. Expectations should be communicated to by both employees and management to establish a successful working relationship. AAG strives to offer its employees a positive work environment with healthy business relationships between peers and coworkers. We apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations and wish you the best of luck in your next career venture.

Okay job feels bad taking away from seniors to "help them"

worked as csr here and it felt like we were conning seniors from their home for money. The environment was nice, the pay was subpar and we were reading from scripts. Everything is recorded and if you even go off script once you essentially fail the quality assurance. Overall I highly don't recommend...I felt so bad working here because I felt like a con man.

growth support

They are very supportive and pay for licensing. Great company to work with! Currently they are mostly remote with their employees across the board. The management has helped me tremendously!

Do not recommend

Management is bad. Its all about the numbers. Poor training along with bad leads. Benefits are decent,paid time off, medical,dental,vision along with sick time.

Pros

Cons

Bad management. low pay

Company that cares about your development

AAG has allowed me to grow both personally and professionally. The company has offered a plethora of professional development courses over the year, some of which have been eye-opening. The leadership team encourages self-improvement and provides resources to learn and advance in your career. The most important thing for me is how open the executive team is to feedback. They really want honest feedback and actually make an effort to address it. I've watched this company evolve and mature. You can tell that this is a company that cares.

Pros

career pathing, close family feel, execs open to feedback

Cons

health benefits are better, still not great

Where do I begin

At the beginning I was excited to be part of the Aag family. I feel AAG set me up to fail since day one. There was very little training, yet they expect for you to perform the same as senior agents. Some managers are rude and bullies, it was horrible to come to work, you had to walk on egg shelves ..couldn't ask for help as you were told to go figure it out myself. AAG as a company is great, but thr lack of training and poor Management made it easy for me to leave. Also they have one of the worse systems, they would go down for hours to then be told to just work overtime to meet our goal. I personally think that the reverse mortgage product is amazing.. but AAG has a lot of work to do.. managers,systems training

Pros

Excellent benefits competition

Cons

System. Manager..training

Productive and fun place to work

It was an amazing experience, I was able to work with great people and learn about mortgage at their cost. The only reason I left was because I want to change my career path from Sales (Loan Office) to Accounting. Otherwise I would work at this company forever.

June 7, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are happy that your experience with AAG has been such a positive one and wish you the best of luck in your next career venture!

Managers lack emotional intelligence

They say, a fish rots from head down! This is soo true with AAG. Good leadership is a thing of the past and does not exist at AAG. Because of bad bosses, employees are highly stressed and very unhappy this explains the high employee turnover. AAG is a great company to work for but the people they put in leadership roles are unseasoned, lack empathy, lack human decency and dignity. Managers put employees down and make them feel less and unworthy, favoritism is alive and well. There's lack of support for new employees, lack of training material for new employees to effectively and efficiently do their jobs. Managers create hostile work environment for specific employees just because they can and eventually employees have no choice but quit or managers get rid of them as soon as they get an opportunity. Absolute power corrupts absolutely! A good manager adds value to the company and also helps employees feel motivated hence high productivity. This is common sense! AAG

Pros

Knowledge

Cons

Incompetent managers

Not what you think it is.

Lack of focus and expectations by management, no support, left to fumble through things. Pay is NOT what is explained and you are told that your job is not guaranteed week to week.

Pros

Good work life balance.

Cons

Lack of support from management.

Too many hire and fire with no job security. The management is terrible and very oppressive. They micro manage. I would never work there again. They had an armed guard at the entrance 5 days a week.

Pros

Cons

Too toxic

January 26, 2021

Company has paid millions of dollars in fines for a reason

its all public record and the negative reviews are all real, the 5 star reviews are suspect especially if the employee hasn't been employed long enough. They were very clear upfront to either play their way and stick to the script, or hit the highway.

Pros

work experience

Cons

pre-conceived sale and overall organizational culture

You won’t earn as much as they advertise

When I was trained they told me how much I would earn based on how many loans I closed each month. It’s cumulative and bonuses are too. But if they cut your leads down, you’ll have a bad month so you’ll lose your 3 month trend. They will always shoot you down. Then they’ll look for a petty reason to let you go

Pros

Few. Okay, they’re well managed

Cons

Micro-manage, low pay, great if you didn’t go to college and you can sell

Excellent opportunity to create the income you want

I have been with this company a little over a year, and it has been a great experience. It's sales so obviously you have to build your pipe etc, and its been a good experience. You literally can create whatever income you want. They give all the tools necessary to do so. It truly is up to you if you succeed or not.They also adapted very quickly to the COVID 19 situation. In just under 2 weeks a company where 95% of the work force was in office was transitioned to remote very seamlessly. I love being remote, I feel I have been way more productive.

Pros

Open door policy with management, friendly environment

Cons

Capped basis points on home value to $1 million, it would be great if you got the basis points on whatever the value of the home was.

October 20, 2020
Thank you for your kind comments. We are so glad to hear that you are happy at AAG! Our goal has always been to create an open, collaborative environment where employees like you, feel comfortable sharing ideas. We are grateful that you’ve taken the time to do so here.

AAG is a great place to work. The executive team really cares about the employees. This is the first company that really says what it means when it comes to work life balance. Also, with everything that has gone on in 2020, AAG has made it easy for us to continue to be successful. Really enjoy working here. It really is like a family.

Pros

always have contests going on as an incentive

Cons

none that I can think of

LOs intensely micro-managed.

There were obligatory 1-hour group training sessions every morning, which was mostly a positive thing. However, EVERY LO/client conversation was screened and used to berate the Loan Officer in frequent one-on-one manager assessments. It was like working for the Gestapo! Turnover of Loan Officers was high, due to the frequent firings for minicule infractions of the rules. Management had obvious favorites that they would extol in group meetings, but the unlucky unfortunates that were not among the anointed favorites were treated badly, and in constant fear of being fired. Conversely, the operations staff (processors, underwriters, closers, doc-drawers, etc.) did subpar work, hardly ever answered client or LO phone calls, but never seemed to be chastised! Incredibly, they were housed on a different floor, and LOs were forbidden to go on that floor and speak in person with the processor supposedly working a specific loan; just the opposite of most mortgage companies that encouraged LO/operations interaction! One of the worst companies I've worked for in my long career.

Pros

well-constructed work cubicles, modern work spaces, on-site cafeteria and good IT-related sales aids.

Cons

Gestapo-like screening of individual LO-client phone conversations, and continual fear tactics. Horrible LO/operations communications.

January 26, 2021

Great Company That Cares About Its Employees

AAG is a great company that really did care about its employees and the people working there. Whether it was the BBQs (Pre-Covid) or the Zoom calls playing games with co-workers, the team really tried to make everyone feel included and heard.

Pros

Great leadership, Great learning opportunities

Cons

None at the moment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Advisors Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at American Advisors Group.
Powered byComparably

Compare American Advisors Group with

• American Advisors Group
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?