American Airlines Employee Reviews

Found 2,494 reviews matching the search See all 2,771 reviews
American is an ok place to work
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJanuary 15, 2019
A typical day at AA can be all over the place. the days are usually packed with meetings and I'm not sure anything is really getting done. It takes forever to get decisions made or to move projects forward because it has to be vetted by many people and the executive leaders make the decisions on EVERYTHING. The company makes decisions based on the feedback or complaints of one person that affects the masses. The company culture could use some tweaking and they could definitely benefit from having more diversity. They tend to place emphasis on higher education if you come from the outside and they pay accordingly. The hardest part about the job are the way decisions are made and the length of time it takes to do anything. The most enjoyable part are the great people that you work with.
Pros
Great flight benefits
Cons
Very limited PTO
Focused on productivity and empowerment
Manager of Customer Operations - New York JFK (Former Employee) –  JFK New York CityOctober 26, 2018
AA is a company that sets goals and manages those goals. Employees are presented the goals and given the freedom to creatively reach those goals. employees feel empowered to manage, engage and develop their peers and direct reports. AA focus on culture and diversity and way to provide a product to the ever changing world/customers we live in. Safety comes first for both employees, customers and contract vendors. AA makes you feel important as an individual.
Pros
The ability to see the world, help others and being given the opportunity to develop our own careers.
Cons
Management of a absente work force
Facilties and Automotive Mechanic
Ground Support Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 15, 2018
clock in 0600 go to my computer gather my work assignment for the day, procure parts and supplies for job

management was supportive with resources to get the job done

team environment, including the managers, resources were there when needed, update training on all new equipment

working on equipment out in the snow

field trips, training and culture that supports advancement within the ranks.
Pros
excellent health benefits
Cons
mandatory shift change work
Amazing benefits and great workplace
Central Baggage Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 31, 2018
Having worked from one of the Tempe corporate offices, I can confidently say American Airlines is one of the best companies to work for in terms of workplace environment and benefits Pay rate was a bit below the industry standard but benefits and work life balance made up for it. My specific department had saw a lot of change due to recycling of managers and directors. Those changes were sometimes for the worse and created stress within the workplace environment, but the overall American Airlines experience was satisfying.
Pros
Benefits, flexible hours, growth, friendly people
Cons
Irregular change, oblivious management, lack of proper training courses
I loved every moment I spent with American Airlines this was my dream job.
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 10, 2018
Amazing company. Each day brought a new perspective and learning to adapt to different cultures was invigorating. Coworkers became friends lifetime friends. The company compensations were amazing. the hardest part of working as a Flight Attendant would be the adjustment to every month your schedule is different. The best part of being a Flight Attendant was the people I met and the travel to the cities all over the United States. By far the most rewarding career I have ever had.
Pros
Flexibility, pay, Travel for free, meet wonderful people from all types of cultures
Amazing benefits, Average advancement
Senior Usability Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXNovember 15, 2018
A typical day at work is relaxed with a manageable number of meetings. The culture is vibrant with chatter of the next non-rev travel adventures. Learn as you go is the key principle with average amounts of training available. Management is good and respects your humanity. The hardest part of the job is keeping focused on the ever-changing vision. The most enjoyable part of the job is the travel benefits.
Great company if you don’t mind the hassle
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 27, 2018
I was hired as a temp worker for the holiday season. The managers are all very sweet. You can tell that they care about the business and the people. In fact, everyone was very nice!! Problem was low pay, no benefit, training wasn’t great, no good full time employment opportunities, and a lot of hassle to get your airport badge and go through security every day, which added 30 more minutes to my commute since I also had to park far away from the terminal. Overall, I just didn’t think it was worth all the hassle for this low paying position. It’s definitely for someone who wants the flight benefits if they can obtain a permanent position.
Pros
Management and employees
Cons
No benefits, low pay, a lot of hassle, poor training
Enjoyed every one of my 33 1/2 years.
737-800 Captain (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXOctober 16, 2018
Good company to work for with excellent benefits. Only sorry that I had to retire at 65! A typical day at work included an average of three flights with about an hour off between them followed by a fairly short stay in a hotel near the airport. Management always treated me fairly and let me do my job without interference. Hardest part of the job can be long hours on bad weather days and about half the month on the road.
Pros
Excellent Pay
Cons
Long hours on weather days.
worked in PHX
Senior Aircraft Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 6, 2019
Started with America West and that was very enjoyable and it was a very good airline to work for, I learned a great deal about A320's and B757's. At that time we (as Mechanics) were able to fly the jumpseat....that was so cool. As time went by I've experienced many things that happened not only for the airline but for the aviation industry....like 9/11....so much has changed since then. America West went on to become U S Airways and that was a change in policy, culture and corporate, but times at U S Airways wasn't that bad....a few years later U S Airways became American Airlines, that really changed the scope of everything with the unions, culture, corporate policy and many other things. Aircraft work scope has changed and for awhile it was confusing. Working at American became different, you become a number and not necessarily a person.
Pros
four ten hour shifts (nights)
Cons
micro-management, easy to get "dinged" for calling in sick.
Best place to work for!!!
Staff Assistant in Power Plant and Planning (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 16, 2018
I did have various positions at American Airlines due to relocation with my spouse. I became a much more confident person with the never ending support and pushing of my supervisors! I loved working for this company!! There is nothing I can say negatively about American. Super team players in my various departments and very very close employees not only in the department you are directly under, but also other departments you interact with. The benefits were incredible. The most difficult part of the job is leaving! When American went through turbulent times, management was quick to keep their employees up to date on the situation.
Perfect attendance perks.
Pros
Great additional perks for suggestions to improve departments.
Cons
None!
Good worklife balance
Sr. Project Manager, IT (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZDecember 30, 2018
American Airlines provides a great work/life balance and company culture. Opportunities for advancement are limited outside of the Dallas/Fort Worth headquarters office.
Pros
Flight benefits, people, worklife balance
Cons
Less opportunities for advancement outside of DFW HQ
Great Company
IT LAN Technician II (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 10, 2019
I can only speak for my experience and I can say I have a great work/life balance and my compensation is above average for my position. I enjoy working with many different people and the chance to travel for work and pleasure. I wish there more more chances of advancement for the position I am in.
Pros
Free flights
Cons
Little chance for advancement unless you relocated to Dallas or Phoenix.
Management is trying to change the culture
Executive Assistant MD (Current Employee) –  4333 Amon Carter Blvd, Ft. Worth, TX 76155November 27, 2018
My position is being eliminated as part of a test to determine that Executive Assistants are no longer needed in new job culture at AA.
I've spent 26 years with American and loved my job but am now told that I no longer needed in new culture, so am leaving with hesitation but am ready to go.
Pros
Flight Benefits
Cons
Work 24-7
Mediocre Salary with Low Stress
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKNovember 5, 2018
Management is still working from a pre-computer paradigm. Bureaucratic nonsense is typical. Working with aircraft can be both frustrating and highly interesting. Culture is modest paced, but can be flexible. Benefits and time off are mediocre.
Pros
Job Security
Great Beniefts and great colleagues!! Management is improving
FLIGHT ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 11, 2018
Great Pay. Plenty ways to get more hours and great trips as flight attendant. Company encourages advancement! After working there for 5 years, i have seen improvements and changes in management- things are going in the right direction. American wants to be the best and they expect the best from their employees, holding employees responsible for there actions and rewarding good performances with advancements or honorable mentions. Company needs to better equip flight attendants with better tools, coupons, comp miles, etc to better improve a customers experience during delays or during bad customer experiences. Union works to get better quality of work for flight attendants. Great place to work. I highly recommend.
Fast paced but rewarding
Supervisor - CVG (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 9, 2018
1- Very fast paced from start to finish.
2- Different cultures and personalities and how to manage them.
3- Being part of the management team was a great experience and mentorship.
4- Great diversity in cultures at the airline. Everyone got along great.
5- Getting people motivated at 2:30 am.
6- Building the team up when they were down.
Pros
Free flight benifits
Cons
working in adverse weather conditions.
Coworkers become family management becomes the enemy
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 10, 2018
There are a lot of great people working at this company. Peers and coworkers all work together trying to help anyone who needs anything. However there is a great chasm between subordinates and management. This gap fosters a us vs them mentality and it is felt throughout the company unfortunately. If I e is lucky enough to be assigned a good manager then you will succeed in ways you never dreamed however if assigned a bad one then you are as good as dead in the water.
Pros
Free Flight benefits anywhere in the world!!!
Cons
Workplace drama at every turn. Schemes and cut throat politics.
Average Company
Leadership Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 12, 2018
The leadership at AA (first line through third level) is cut throat as they work harder to toot their own horns than collaborate with other groups.

Great benefits and competitive pay.

A lot of good people working at AA but company isn't nearly as effective as it could be if leadership behavior wasn't so dysfunctional.
It is a great life experience and I miss it.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  USASeptember 25, 2018
There are highs and lows with any job. This one requires you dealing with customers in the best and worse situations. The pay is excellent and you can pickup and give away hours to make your schedule work for you. There are lots of policies and procedures you must follow for security and safety reasons. Regular online training and refresher courses. Everything is seniority based from mandatory overtime in bad weather to pay and schedule bidding.
I recommend you document everything, from the unruly passenger who tried to carry on 5 bags to the supervisor/agent who constantly harasses you.
Pros
excellent pay, insurance and benefits
Cons
no support from management - CYA
Great company to work for
Fleet Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYOctober 24, 2018
flexible work schedule. All employees have well defined duties and
have access to upper management in case there was a problem.
Employees are encouraged to take full advantage of the company benefits.
.Most people enjoy the travel privileges and discounts given by the company and also by other companies in the travel industry, like hotels and restaurants.

The most stressful part of the job was the schedule- maintaining
and being aware of the TIME. One or two minutes late could affect the entire operation,. employees could face disciplinary action for being one minute late.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight