American Apparel Employee Reviews

Poor
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Centre, ALOctober 10, 2019
No raises ever only thing that's great are the hours here I just wished they paid more and more overtime but unfortunately it's not I've been here for 3 years and no sign of changes
Pros
Hours
Cons
No raises
Horrible Company
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  3452 4th AvenueSeptember 28, 2019
While I learned a lot about myself working for American Apparel, I did not enjoy working for such a dysfunctional company. While this company may have started off with a clear mission and goal which yielded substantial profit and notoriety, the CEO was highly abusive to his staff and overtime the company (which extended world-wide) was destroyed by his poor leadership and abusive tendencies.
Very fast paced
Sewing operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 11, 2019
Company closed down not much to explain. Fast. Had to meet company goals. very fast paced environment. Only Latinos and Asian people. The hardest part of the job was when the machines were having some techcal problems
I enjoyed working there, nice people, management was overall ok
Inspector/Packer (Former Employee) –  Centre, ALAugust 29, 2019
I felt like I was discriminated bc I was moved from where I worked the whole time and right bf Christmas 2018 I was moved and then laid off ..they didn't care about there employees enough to make sure I received my unemployment and yes I qualified for it.. I'm checking on that tomorrow..thanks
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Don't care about employees
Fast pace job that can give you alot experience in any kind of situation dealing with a warehouse
Supervisor/picker/packing/shipping and receiving (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAAugust 28, 2019
Great experience and was a multi-million dollar company that gave me alot of experience.they give you discounts on clothing.Room for growth in different positions
Pros
Always had overtime
Cons
May be subjected to pick up other co-workers
It all started here for me
Senior Manager, Fabric Planning (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 16, 2019
I learned to much at American Apparel. This was my first job in the apparel industry. I was fortunate to work with the CEO directly over the years. My career started here.
Good job for students
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  South Gate, CAAugust 14, 2019
Had a good experience with American Apparel. Management and staff easy to get along with. Set standards and expectations .
Would recommend this job for students that go to school during the day.
I liked the money
Sewing machine operator (Former Employee) –  Centre, ALJuly 30, 2019
U definitely need to stay to yourself and make ur money. Tons of drama and favortism. Working hard only gets u moved around to other jobs. It a production-based job. So when they move you to another job you lose all your money. I went from making $15.50 an hour to $9.75.
Fast-Paced place of work
Custodian (General Work) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 16, 2019
I would come to do my work, I had my routine of how I had to do my work. I had to ensure that I got all my duties done by the end of my shift. I liked that as long as I did what I had to do I had no issues with my supervisor and my co-workers. Sometimes the job was a bit strenuous but I managed and accomplished to do everything in a timely manner.
Good place for work.
Sewing Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 9, 2019
It is a work area where there is a lot of movement, and that I like is a very noisy area but they give you the necessary security resources...........
American Apparel was decent
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 26, 2019
American Apparel was a decent place to work. It was fast paced, competitive, and management was acceptable. The commission was really good and the clothes were great.
Went bankrupt
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 12, 2019
The CEO at the time was totally unprofessional and for lack of a better word- a creep. Corporate was always a challenge to work with. However at my store I had amazing co-workers!
I will recommend females guy That like fashion to work there
Picking and Packing (Former Employee) –  Central and a and slousanMay 28, 2019
Working at American apparel was fun and helpful cuz it was my Field I like fashionIt was a great experience of taking orders and packing I truly can’t understand how you order off-line
Pros
3 breaks
Cons
Short breaks
typical factory work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 24, 2019
work from start to break, work from break to lunch, work from lunch till next break,,work from last break till shift change unless asked to work overtime.
Pros
to have a job
Cons
not getting a fair wage
Fast pace and competitive.
WAREHOUSE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAMay 18, 2019
Meetings before the start of the day, go through reports and agenda for the shift. The floor operations was fast paced and in control. The teams worked with good attitude, high morale.
Pros
workers had 1 hr lunch.
Cons
salaries to a minimal
Team Service
Team Service (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAMay 15, 2019
Always on your feet which I didn't mind, pretty nice. Benefits are nice. Summer days were always hot.. you'll be sweating! Workplace was nice, very kind and humble people.
Decent Company
Freight elevator operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 15, 2019
It was an overall learning experience. Always kept busy learning new things, but the turn around at this company was high. The management was not the greatest
poor management
Sewing Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Opp, ALMay 14, 2019
It paid my bills and allowed me to gain much experience in the sewing manufacturing business. It had its good points and low points. I stayed there for 5-6 off and on.
Stressful work environment
Sewing Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Selma, ALMay 11, 2019
I do not recommend working at American Apparel. They have no work advances. The pay is not good and you are not treated fairly. You can easily overwork yourself. The management do not think about the well being of their employees.
Long hrs not enough pay
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Opp, ALMay 8, 2019
The work 6:45 to 4:00 you get a 30 min break you don’t get paid enough and don’t get vacation pay or sick time you will just loose your hrs. My. Child was sick and I lost my job