American Apparel Employee Reviews for Store Manager

Stay away
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland Heights, OHJanuary 10, 2018
I was blatantly discriminated against due to a lack of diversity within this American-made corporate company.

This company produces goods within the US thus prices were high within the retail stores. However, due to the lack of quality in their products, I could no longer stand behind a company ripping people off and due to the overall conduct of the company, especially the owner.

I gracefully decided to resign after 4 years of commitment for this company.
Pros
Free giveaways of defective products
Cons
Overtime, little pay, and no vacation/sick leave
Productive yet challenging
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CAOctober 4, 2017
I loved working for this company in all my 7 years. Everyday was productive yet competitive with neighboring stores. Fast paced environment with high momentum.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
pay did not match our postion.
Was the best
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAAugust 10, 2017
So much fun working here!!!! Lots of team love and high moral. Team meetings and parties bi-monthly. Corporate very supportive of in-store management.
Pros
Free clothes, great discount, fun environment
Great Learning Experience
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2017
This was a great place to start a career. Working for a very young company there a lot of opportunities to grow, give input and the hours could be very flexible. During the early days the pay was not great, even for managers and district team had little to no boundaries and could be a bit difficult. Corporate team could also be a bit more organized.
Pros
fun events, room for growth, creative input
Cons
low pay, favoritism in upper management, long hours
Great place to start and learn retail operations
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2017
I really enjoyed working here, especially once becoming a store manager. The company allowed for creative flexibility. Unfortunately, the unstable financial foundation of the company resulted in the company being bought out and stores closed.
Unorganized but fun workplace
RETAIL STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAFebruary 10, 2017
American Apparel is a very fun company filled with youth and enthusiasm. It also very unorganized and closing due to poor planning. Overall it's a great starting point if you have no job experience.
Depends
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2017
if you have the desire to moving up is very feasible. Your work experience can greatly vary depending on who your manager is. As a manager you're taught to essentially run a business, very useful for the future!
Pros
Discount, Creative Input, Flexible Hours
Cons
Pay, Cleanliness, Management
Over all challenging yet fun environment to work in.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 17, 2016
- Day to day work was very stressful at times.
- I learned how to manage that that stress and turn it into something positive.
- Management was was sometime scarce.
- I had a wonderful fun and supportive team.
- Long hours
- Traveling
A good workplace but not the most support from coporate
Store Manager/Inventory (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH and Chicago, ILJune 2, 2016
Working for American Apparel gave me the opportunity to learn every aspect of the clothing retail business. I held every position the company offered so when I took over my own store I was able to properly train each staff member as well as take care of their task when they were out of town or the position was not currently filled.
Visual merchandising, allocation, processing shipment, pushing store sales by increasing $PT and UPT were daily operations for me.
While working for the company in Chicago I also got to experience what it takes to close, open or move a store location. There was a lot of variety in my work and I was always looking for ways to improve.
My biggest issue was we really needed to hire more employees and corporate would not allow us even though we were beating our sales goals.
Overall I enjoyed my experience with American Apparel.
Creative work environment. Provided many resources to successfully operate a store
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2016
Very forward company to work with. Environment is very young - workload is distributed evenly and delegated properly from upper management. Control P&L through strict management of payroll, supply order, and maximizing store sales through proper customer service and training of staff. Have been working as a retail manager for the company for 3 years.
not the best
Store Manager - Columbus Circle (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2016
Typical work days are fairly easy, as long as you are motivated. In-store management is very helpful, while district management is not the best with communication and can seem either overbearing or too distant.
Greatly marketed company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 17, 2016
A balance between the floor, the office, and your associates. Mondays were conference call days company wide. This was intimidating, but I enjoyed it. I remember working 12 hours days almost every day.
Pros
Great boss
Cons
Worked like a dog
Gained a lot of experience
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 5, 2015
I worked for American Apparel for 2 years. I started off as a sales associate and moved up to the corporate office as a returns adviser for the online/wholesale department. After that I went back to retail to manage two of the highest volume stores in Los Angeles. I was given a good raise and health insurance as well as a heavily discounted metro pass. My supervisors were great mentors and taught me a great deal. If you work hard and are sharp, then you will be successful within the company.
Pros
good discount and healthcare
Cons
sales associates can be really irresponsible
Great discount on clothing
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Feliz, Little Tokyo and Downtown LAOctober 20, 2014
Depending on store location it can be a fast or slow pace environment.
It is a competitive work place for the sales floor teams. They are given individual daily goals to meet. And as a store overall a Monthly Goal. The company is very goal oriented.
Pay is decent and may vary by location and personal preferences.
Most store teams are fun, positive and friendly. It is a job that easily becomes a life style.
Pros
Growth opportunities
Cons
Salary
American Apparel
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 12, 2014
A typical day at work is very productive for myself. I oversee all departments while staying hands on with all paperwork, cleaning duties, sales tracking and managerial duties.

The hardest part of my job that I feel I am not being properly compensated for the amount that I work or the stress that I have to deal with in this job. In addition, it is very unfortunate that my CEO/The Company is not interested in the safety of all employees. We are constantly being challenged and threaten by thieves - with little to no support from the Asset Protection Department. Because of American Apparel's recent debt struggles, they are slowly cutting all security expenses and contracts in the next two months. This is not a safe working environment.

The most enjoyable part of my job is teaching, guiding, motivating and being a role model for my employees. It is a pleasure to nurture passionate and driven employees. Also, to watch and participate in the growth of my store from 2010, brings me joy.
Pros
Dress Code
Cons
Compensation, Not Supportive, Immature, Stressful, Employee Safety
Competitive with who you know
Store Manager/Stock Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 24, 2014
I worked for the company for 5+ years, one of my favorite places to work, under management. It was always fun to go to work dressed well, representing who I was and who I worked for. You were part of a club, is how I would put it. The coworkers I had were amazing people, willing to work for me and with me, to ensure productivity and high sales. The hardest part of my job was the location I worked at, which was located in the warehouse district of LA. The other hard part of working there were upper management. Very competitive with who you knew, and your lifestyle outside of work, making it quite difficult to move up within the company. The pay was not good, because I was expected to work 24/7. They said do not work from home, however I was constantly answering emails, phone calls, and making sure my store was running properly while I was not there, or else I would be judged on my management skills. I do not mind that type of management, but I would like to be paid like a manager. My overall experience was good, my only advice would be to build a better management team, fully train those who you promote to management, and really believe in those you promote. The company is very flexible with their ideas, but they need to hire people who believe in their company, AND fit their look (since they are strict with that). You can have the brains and the beauty, they just need to train properly.
Pros
Seasonal clothing allowance and employee discounts. Healthcare and subsidized bus passes
Cons
Everyone is watching you, and constantly being told you will be fired for petty mistakes
the company needs work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 28, 2013
especially in the hiring management part
the company is expensive.