American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc. Employee Reviews

Work Day
Prolonged Strike - Material Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 14, 2019
Started at 7:00 a.m.
Reviewed all material deliveries and/or potential shortages.
Learned the Oracle inventory system
Management was very supportive
Workplace was great.
Job was an overall great ( long UAW strike) was the reason myself and others were let go.
Pros
Cons
UAW strike
First Chance
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 9, 2019
AAM provided my first true experience within manufacturing. The manufacturing team inside Plant 1 was exceptional. The company put their investment into their people, but rotating their management team so time was spent by each supervisor on every shift in every department.
I loved this job.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIJanuary 9, 2019
This was one of my favorite jobs. I met a lot of new people some who I became friends with I learned a lot and the pay was great. The only thing I didn't really like was the drive.
Forge Plant-HOT-
Journeyman Machine Repair/Millwright, combined (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 9, 2019
UAW union shop, plenty of training, good tooling VERY loud & VERY HOT! A great plant to learn trade, No place for sissy's, a real hard working man's plant!
Pros
pay
Cons
Hot
It's been 20 years.
Job setter (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 8, 2019
It's been 20 years since I have work there I don't even know if they are still open. Made good money when I was working there. Management was bad. As usual upper management don't know their job.
Positive Experience
FINANCES CO-OP (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 25, 2018
Great and friendly environment. Positive character, and caring individuals. Great place to learn and move forward in life. Great potential to move up within the company.
overall
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIDecember 17, 2018
hard work underpaid and the management doesn't care if you get hurt. I was injured and they refused me medical treatment until after my shift because my injury wasn't life threatening.
Bad management
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIDecember 14, 2018
Management employee relations is really bad to many chiefs not enough Indians when I started at American axle was good for about 2 years then next few years went way down hill.
Pros
Great people
Dirty nasty work environment
Core setter (Former Employee) –  New Castle, INDecember 14, 2018
I have never left a job at the end of the work day as dirty and covered in black dust as I did working here. It was horrible I would blow my nose and it was just black Stuff from breathing the air in there for 8 hours. That can’t be healthy for anyone. Human resource woman is a idiot and has a attitude as though she is better than everyone else and lies about the job when she interviews you. Supervision wants to act as a warden constantly watching everyone. No actually training was ever done horrible horrible place.
Pros
Cons
Breathing in the black dust in the air
Stressfull
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIDecember 14, 2018
Had to work 7 days a week for most of the year. One saturday off for every 2 worked, but when in critical status which is most of the time no sundays can be taken off. Workers are treated poorly and overworked. Supervisors harass employees.
AAM Auburn Hills
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIDecember 9, 2018
Poor leadership . Employees not properly trained but blamed for everything. Shifts sabotage others shift to look better. Management cares more about number of parts then quality. Management hides scrap to look better then other shifts. HR makes up things as they go along, point system not realistic when working 7 days a week.
Cons
Poorly trained employees, No double time for Sunday’s, No union, unprofessional leadership
Terrible management but great coworkers
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MINovember 30, 2018
Unless you’re a female or a brown noser, management treats new employees like a piece of dirt. Co workers were very helpful and friendly. Union shop but the union is useless. Management does what it wants regardless of what the contract says.
Pros
Co workers and pay. Clean place to work
Cons
Poor management, everything else
Cheap bottom feeder coorporation
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHNovember 19, 2018
All work and no time for family.. Lying managers. When American Axle took control of the facility, The HR manager quit, the controller quit, and my boss,quality control who had been there over twenty years quit. Many hourly employees quit, me included.
Aam
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MINovember 16, 2018
AAM is a mixed bag to work for. They have great pay and great benefits, however they don't have a great working relationship with the floor staff. They will tell you one thing in a 'town hall' meeting and then do the exact opposite within a few days.

Their attendance policy is very strict and confusing to the average worker and it's done so to keep you on the straight and narrow. If you run afoul of it it is hard to work out when things will drop off your record.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Stressful, No Work Life balance, They expect you live there at times, Get tossed into OT/Critical at the last minute, Management not truthful with staff
Good Place To Work
Controls Engineer (Current Employee) –  New Castle, INNovember 14, 2018
I am in a salary position and I enjoy what I do. Some of the hourly jobs are not as enjoyable.Pay isn't competitive and the turnover is high. Benefits are lacking as well.
regular attendance is a must
anonymous (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNNovember 14, 2018
Recently slashed benefits which used to be good. They are absolutely horrible now. Pay is okay, not much room for advancement without a college degree.
Harsh health work environment.
Industrial Maintenance Electrician and Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Kingsford, MINovember 11, 2018
Great pay for the area but at the cost of your health. Stay away from politics, do your job and you'll be fine. Don't expect a lot of pay advancements. They will tell you to work whenever they need you and expect you to be there. You are just a number to them, don't expect them to care about your issues.
Highly Productive
Job Setter (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MINovember 8, 2018
the overall experience at AAM wasn't bad, the only difficult part of the job would be communication through other members of staff. most fixtures and stations had specific duties to uphold but the work was laid back for the most part.
Pros
cafeteria staff instead of vending machines
Cons
last minute overtime, could use some work on safety
Good place to work, collaborative
Cost Optimization Intern (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 5, 2018
At AAM weekly team meetings are a norm, it ensures everyone has the resources needed to complete tasks at hand, and allows team members to bring up any issues or topics necessary. I learned how cross-functional departments are, how imperative it is for good communication practices to be upheld, and how to use cost analysis softwares. Most managers have an open-door policy and are willing to go out of their way to make sure that their subordinates are happy and productive. The culture is pretty casual, but still professional. The hardest part of my job was the commute into the city. The part I enjoyed the most about my job was how willing my team members were to share their knowledge with me and make sure that I knew why our team made the decisions they made.
Pros
Casual atmosphere, collaboration desks, emphasis on team meetings
Cons
Not a lot of vacation time
Great coworkers
MACHINE OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  TroyOctober 29, 2018
This place has alot of potential. The hiring pay rate should be higher for all dept. A union shop that are there to help out with any issues. All about safety.
Pros
Get paid weekly
Cons
No lunch hours working 8 hrs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight