American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc.

American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc. Employee Reviews

United States550 reviews
All jobs come with good and bad things. Management did leave a lot to be desired. Often employees were underappreciated. Benifits were a bonus. UAW union was always helpful.
Pros
Cafateria
Cons
Rigid work schedule
Where to begin...this place is a living nightmare. No sense of teamwork. Its always "gotta have your own back" Don't like free time? Don't like time with your family? Don't like time to recover from a hard day? WELL THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU! They don't properly train associates. Shows them a fast runaround and sends them on their way. Temps get treated better than full time employees. The people running this factory are intentionally running it into the ground. The only way out of here is to quit because if you put your 2 weeks in, they convince you into staying with promises of higher pay. Everyone who is everyone is in each others pants, literally. 99% of the supervisors have their current position because of their positions on their knees and or backs, or have their breasts out for all to see on social media.Long story short, this place sucks. The best thing for the city of Bluffton would this place to be ran out of town.
Pros
Cons
Upper management, can't leave on break, no smoking, no communication
They made promises to me that were never kept. Management does not filter information down and there was no environmental changes for the better. All talk and no action. They have systemic racism throughout the company and are not held accountable.
Pros
The insurance.
Cons
No support because of personal relationships.
There is nobody to help support you. Assigned tasks that you do not have permission in the system to do. Needed to use interns to grab info for me to do my job.
Not a good culture. Not very friendly
Pros
Good pay and benefits. Nice hours. Beautiful building.
Cons
No support
Enjoyed working at the Cheektowaga, NY plant until it closed.
The inspection of parts and packing was fun, as was being a laborer and cleaning the plant. Good times.
Pros
Great pay, treated employees well until the last couple years.
Cons
Hot in summer.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
Pay is fair,room for advancement, good benefits, overtime with double pay on Sunday. Triple pay if work a holiday. We work a lot of overtime here at this company. Sometimes its ok, but i don't like it when its too much, that will take away from your life.
Pros
Paid lunch, good benefits, reasonable pay.
Cons
High turrnover, overworks their employees, lack of communication when needed
If you or your relatives don't know anyone in management you'll be stuck doing whatever job you're put on till they blame you for something and fire you or you quit.

The operator "yearly" pay raise was hardly ever actually followed through. The tech pay levels are a joke. On paper it looks fine but in reality they never cross train to get you those level ups despite the BS they feed you when you hire in or what's said in the handbook. The most used excuse when you ask for a level up is "you don't meet the req's" but there are quite a few people max level who aren't even close to meeting the req's required for that level of pay.

There was a head of HR that liked to leak info to management about your financials and break pay confidentiality. On two separate occasions, I had a few people in management slip up mentioning something about my financials that only hr should know about which then was used in their petty games as ammo to cut my hours and deny me OT. Management/hr made a "clerical error" on pay raise paperwork which took them 2 months to "find" with me bugging them about the missing pay. They then back paid it a week because their "mistake" was somehow my fault nulling the first 7 weeks.

I could go on for ages but I think this is enough to show how much of a joke this place is/has become.

tl;dr This place is a joke and has only gotten worse over the years. Don't waste your time.
Cons
you have 2 b in a click ,other ppl use other ppl,4 profitable or recognizable gain,...you get used or stabbed in the back, like I did .there not equal opportunity ,its favoritism...they'll do you in if they feel threatened by your work performance ........definitely not stable work........that's the Foundry up in iron mountain....
I had faith in the place, but not no more...

I turned there top blow 8 around that I ran 10yrs ago , then I got F...ked n screwed .....I turned production..about 300% on holsets n broke a lot of records or the 1st one 2 do it

There foolish employees don't follow policies ,just dumped on me 2 take blame

They got good and bad ,watch your back
Pros
lot of hrs
Cons
not stable
My company used to be a great place to work until being acquired by AAM. They moved all new management in and I’ve never seen a plant run so poorly. What used to be a great place to work is now micromanaged by people who care nothing at all about what we do. The fired many competent staff members and replaced them with corporate stooges. Every single salary employee I know is now looking for new employment to escape this hellhole Pay has been slashed by 20% yet we are required to work 10 hour shifts no questions asked. The mood among the hourly workers is much the same. Morale is low and nobody wants to work for management anymore. It feels like we spent years building up a strong workforce and community of employees only to have it all torn down in a matter of one year by namely two very incompetent leaders. Production has suffered, quality has suffered, safety has suffered. Nobody wants to work for a company they feel doesn’t appreciate them.
Pros
Seriously can’t think of any.
Cons
Slashed pay, long hours, incompetent management, micromanagement, low morale, lack of unity, toxic culture, old boys club, outdated mentality. The list goes on.
Good place to work, has good benefits. Standing for long periods of time. Good work eviroment. Has two cafeterias, serves good food. Plenty of overtime.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
As long as you are a "Yes" man and remember that they are paying you NOT to think independently you may be on your way to the top. Corporate purchasing and focus on production management style / personnel for development and engineering activities are not helping company.
Working at AAM it is apparent that you are there to work. They are a very focused group as they have to be to keep the plants running without time off. This allows for the employees to reach their potential and soak up a lot of experience.
Overbearing old school GM type management style and employees are not empowered to make any decisions on their own . Managers can be micro-managers many times and all are very process driven too robotic .
Pros
benefits and pay is fair
Cons
No room for making decisions on your own
It has its ups and downs just like any other factory. Depends on customer demand. Some weeks you work 7 days a week. Sometimes they have layoffs due to the fact it is an automotive industry.
Unrewarding place to work, people are not friendly and make it very hard to fit in or even like what you do. In training you try your best to learn and supervisors nit pick which in turn makes you leave, you go in usually in groups of 10 out of that 1 person will stay, the rest quit or get fired within the first 5 days.
Cons
you don't take breaks with your department, they're alone and never at the same time if you get one at all.
Uma satisfação ter trabalho lá,todos colaboradores com certeza são satisfeitos.Empresa com benefícios ótimos.Hoje em dia faz muita diferença a empresa que trabalha com plano de careira.
Boa sorte ,a você futuro colaborador.
The job is not what it seems, work environment is awful, and people in charge seem to only care about the product being made and not the people they have employeed
Could be ok at times, a lot little things going on, the place needs a union , like other AAM, I don't know more , the break room was clean as was most of the work inviroments , they always seemed behind though so rather you wanted to or not you had overtime
They take no accountability for things that happen in there plant as an employee if your injured your gone,and they blame you and try too snake out of paying an injured employee
I am grateful to A.A.M. for the job I had and the money I was able to earn. The home life balance was not so good, but sometimes that's life. Forced overtime and forced weekends sometimes sucked. But when you got that paycheck you were happy you did it. I liked management on my shift(2nd). I felt bad for some shifts and what they had to deal with. Very dirty job as well. Insurance is good. Also get your vacation rather quick.
A great company to work for but didn’t offer much opportunity for advancement early on during employment.
Company wasn’t able to utilize full abilities and knowledge.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.8
InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight