American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc. Employee Reviews

union job / union mentality
Associate (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIOctober 13, 2018
boring monotonous work. mandatory overtime. lazy co-workers who have been there so long they are untouchable. very much a slow union don't work hard attitude. not for me.
Long hours not much time off
Shift leader/Saw Operator (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIOctober 12, 2018
you work 9-10 hours weekday and 8-12 hours on weekends. you get one weekend off a month and management has no sympathy if you need a weekend off. horrible work environment, unhealthy and will kill you over time. the only good part was the pay and benefits.
They think humans are robots
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIOctober 10, 2018
The only positive of this job was the pay!
No real training, they just throw you on the floor. HR is always "closed", and doesn't return phone calls. Management only cares about numbers. Unrealistic production expectations. Lots of very rude workers who don't know how to communicate with other people.
Forklift drivers drove around too fast.
Machines constantly broke down.
20 minute lunch break.
Metal chips, oil, water, dirt, grime, and dust everywhere!
Not a friendly work environment.
Very cut-throat, disorganized work environment. No time for your family.
The union is no help to new staff. They will be forever hiring at the rate they're going at. Not a good company to work for!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Good job poor management
Jobsetter (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIOctober 7, 2018
Work 10-12 hours seven days a week always in critical

No home life

But awesome pay
The union is awesome
They will screw you over on breaks
I took my job seriously, and they didn’t take me seriously.
Pros
401k match
Cons
Bad management
Safety concerns with the forklift drivers!
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  three Rivers MIOctober 1, 2018
Was a temp there and was placed on a line that had many steps to it and a lot of lifting. I had no idea that I would get very little support fro the regular workers. The forklift drivers fly around the floor at very high speeds. Way too much walking and it takes ten min to get to the work station. I don't recommend this place to anyone.
Pros
fairly good wages for temp
Cons
heavy lifting, fast paced, too many steps
Bad
Cnc machinest (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MISeptember 25, 2018
Bad place to work the bosses are bad at there jobs the job is terrible the union is spineless and the shop flooor is always dirty. The place is just terrible
Worked with suppliers to improve both Quality and Production.
Supplier Quality and Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 19, 2018
I was assigned to supplier plants for launch of new product and to improve Quality and Production. I worked with the development of axles for heavy duty trucks. I did the development of heat treat patterns for new axle assemblies at one supplier. I worked to improve production for axle tube assemblies at another supplier.
Pros
Great supportive management.
Cons
If you are contract very poor job security.
ok job
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Rochester, INSeptember 12, 2018
I just know i did my job and was treated pretty fairly within the job.. THe job was pretty easy and and good comfortable even though it was fast paced but with the ability to get the job done
No made for the weak
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MISeptember 9, 2018
This job was one of my favorites I loved the fast pace of the job and constant moving it made the day go by so quick!! HR is the only down fall they are all for the $ and not the employees 98% of the time! They need to be able to give the workers more then they do with time of and call-ins!!
Decent place
CNC Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Minerva, OHSeptember 7, 2018
It is your typical factory job which is not bad. The work is not demanding and there is unlimited overtime if you want it. There is little drama and everyone seems to get along.
Pros
Easy work, good people
Cons
Occasional mandated to work weekends
Great local team with challenges to global integration
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  ArkansasAugust 27, 2018
I joined the team while it was relatively small and had a local feel. Decisions were often quick and based on local gains and benefits. The acquisition of the company by AAM has removed the local feel with policies and procedures very much driven by corporate.
The decision loop has been significantly extended and corporate synergies have often led to regression in many areas at our local level. Solid company to work for once the ripples settle and the company gets back on track.
Pros
Solid company with global reach
Cons
Very corporate driven at the detriment of local facilities
Very easy job
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Three Rivers, MIAugust 24, 2018
I Catch On Pretty Quick So This Job Was Very easy . I Also Loved Working On Weekends When I Would Work In The North Side, With The Big Parts. Overall It Was A Good Job From Security To The Caring People That Work Here .
Pros
Alot of options for lunch &loving workerss
Cons
Short breaks, lines breaking down, someone breaking the light
Assembly Line, long hours
Machine Operator/Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 14, 2018
Assembly line, long hours, loss of wages and benefits, many buyouts. Most jobs are now overseas, no longer contract, loss of pension and wages and benefits
Productive diverse place to work
Assembler/Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 10, 2018
I loved working at American Axle & Manufacturing because we were a diverse bunch that worked well together and always delivered quality parts. AAM gave fair wages and offered benefits that would provide for everyone's family.
Its a very competitive work place
Inspection (Former Employee) –  New Castle, INAugust 6, 2018
Working there showed me that being in a competitive work place can help you get through tough challenges and dealing with bad situations with other co workers
Pros
Great money
Cons
Very hot work environment
Horrible and the poorest management
Prototype (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 2, 2018
The company is a joke. They go through managers like you change your underwear. There is No training for any position, you have to learn your job on your own. They never give a good review because their policy is to give you a average review and then never give you a raise. They promote managers that have no idea what they are doing. If your a friend of upper management you have a job or get promoted, everyone else looses. The company uses you then for no reason at all let's you go. No raises,ever and over work you for their benefit.
Pros
Some great coworkers
Cons
Everything Else
nice union job
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 27, 2018
except for the fast paced enviroment , in was a good place to work excellent pay and benefits , good quaility of life , unfortunialy free trade closed the place .
Pros
good pay
Cons
hot in summer
Terrible place, with very little training and very low quality of parts.
Assembly Worker in the End Cover department (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, INJuly 24, 2018
Most departments work 10 to 12 hours a day, 6 to 7 days a week, due to covering for other shifts and excessive downtime of the machines. Alot of bad parts.
Pros
Decent pay if like to be there 24/7.
Cons
Too many to list!!!!!
good company to work for good benifits and pay
Journeyman Machine Repairman (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 20, 2018
worked at AAM in the gear cutting plant 1 as a machine repairman it is a fast paced environment put is expected with the job. management for the most part was knowledgeable and assisted with information and instruction when needed
I like this place
Advanced Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 18, 2018
Great company. Smart People with no BS. Just do your job and you will go far and enjoy your time there. Not much in the way of training and job preparation, so you better know your stuff going in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Axle & Manufacturing, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.3Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight