American Bar Association Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Country Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 24, 2018
Working for this organization was an excellent experience and would recommend it to anyone who would be interested in working in their particular field of expertise.
The ABA is a pleasant place to work, people hardly ever leave the company.
Administrative Assistance for Forums (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2018
A typical day at the American Bar Association, would be preparing for the next upcoming event or closing that program/conference. I start by adding meeting information into Personify, check the website for errors before the program goes live to the public. Have accounts set-up for applying monies for sponsorship; add the conference in the MCLE system, for approval before the conference/meeting starts. The CLE credit is for attorneys who have attended the conference and most of the attorneys that attend the conferences, need CLE Credits for their state profile as a lawyer. This position is extremely busy, every day there is always a project to start and complete in regards to hosting a conference. This is just one part of my responsibilities that consists of preparing for a conference. It's an extremely busy position. My position works with four different Forums with the American Bar Association.
Pros
Nice place to work.
Cons
Great benefits
Pleasant
Book Production, Senior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2018
I enjoyed working at the ABA and would return if the opportunity presented itself. The people there were always pleasant and the work was challenging without being overwhelming.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Was laid off due to department contraction
Culture is stifling
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 22, 2018
The executive staff/ HR did nothing to address my concerns with my direct supervisors. I tried beyond the far reaches of my comfort zone toi find my place, yet I was deemed not good enough after only a short time to learn a confusing and circuitous system of operations
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Zero employee confidence
The ABA was a good place to work. Made many friends.
Sr. Systems Programmer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 24, 2018
I was a Systems Programmer and responsible for maintaining the various operating systems (VM, VSE/SP2). I also migrated an outdated, unsupported TOTAL database to CICS / ADABAS.
Pros
I enjoyed working with my colleagues.
Cons
None.
Nice Place to work.
ASSOCIATE, MEMBERSHIP & MARKETING RECRUITMENT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2018
The American Bar Association is a nice place to work.
The benefits are good.
The work pace is good.
I did learn new skills.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I had a chance to work with.
Benefits
Cons
No Cafeteria
Deck Chairs
Employee (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 25, 2017
Don't be at the bottom of the deck when they decide to save more money to make up for losses. Cubes turned into shared space, floors consolidating, perks disappearing, etc.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
It's a job
Great Staff, High production
office administrator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 10, 2017
A typical day at work was working on the I Procurement system; processing contracts. I learned two databases: the TIMSS database and the I Procurement database. Management was good in organizational news. The culture was stressful at tine but mainly relaxed. There was no hard part of the job. The most enjoyable part of job was performing webinars and planning meetings and conferences.
Pros
Free food tastings; ice cream socials
On Site Facility Manager
On-Site Facilities Manager/Account Executive, DTI (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2017
Managed a team of 6 and productively brought in monthly sales of $150,000-$200,000. Managed monthly P&L. Facilitated Conference services on-site for 2 yearly conferences.
great place to work
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2017
this was a great place to work, the people there are very helpful and it was a great learning situation. I ve learned a lot about the mailroom operation
Stressful
MCLE Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2017
Very stressful due to lots of layoffs of very good people. In the publishing division production talent was sent overseas to save money, leading to layoffs of production and editorial.
Great Place
Front End Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2017
This place was amazing to work for. Although they are a little behind on their technology, it is like working in a family environment. Everyone was helpful thoughtful and most of all very willing to understand the things that needed to be worked on and how long things would take.
A moribund organization gets the awful management it deserves
Lead Senior Counsel (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 21, 2017
Poor vision, personally mercenary outlook, and indifference to colleagues. Those are the essential qualities of higher management at the ABA, and the Board of Governors has done a remarkable job of finding people to fit the bill.
Special Events Coordinator
Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2017
Exciting, face paced environment. Exposure to the way an Association works. It involved a lot of team work when it came to planning the Mid-Year and Annual Meetings. Exhausting but fun!
Pros
Travel, great co-workers
Slow ro change and slow to adapt to technology.
Sales Operations/ Engagement Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 2, 2017
This is an organization struggling to stay relevant in a highly digitized age, with a membership base that is aged in relation to potential members. Young blood is needed, along with new ideas.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Pay job security
Political climate
Division Administrator, Membership & Marketing (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 21, 2017
Lacks diversity in upper level positions. Supervised employees are not treated fairly by upper management. There are little to no opportunities for advancement for lower level staff.
Benefits
Cons
Senior management
Best place to work in
Executive Assistant to the DC Sr. Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 8, 2017
The American Bar Association is by far one the best experiences I have had in my career. This was my extended family. From here you will leave totally prepared for your career!
Pros
Lot's of people and opportunites to learn from
Old School
Customer Service Representative/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 5, 2017
The ABA has been around since the late 1800s and it shows. A lot of old school management tactics and power structures. Not as easy to advance as one would think.
Pros
Good Work Life Balance
Cons
Depending on the department, not many opportunities for advancement
Learn Alot
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2017
It's a good place to start a career. Can learn many fundamental business skills to build upon within the organization and gain experience to further your career
Friendly colleagues
Public Relations and Policy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2017
Very complex organization with more than 3,500 groups. Enthusiastic staff and membership leaders. Plenty of opportunities to meet national leaders. It could use some help in welcoming the XXI century and innovate its business model ASAP