American Behavioral Health Systems Employee Reviews

Depends on your outlook
PSS (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WA cozzaSeptember 7, 2019
If you go to work and are looking for a paycheck only...it’s not for you. If you truly care about helping an individual regain sobriety and maintain recovery. This is the place to be. You have to learn to adapt to these types of work environments. Remember, you are dealing with individuals facing a disease and have had chaotic lifestyles and made poor choices in the past. They need love, care, tenderness, and help. You must set boundaries as well. But know what you are getting yourself into before you apply. This is a great place to work. Forget about big money for a second and remember these individuals need help. May your heart be in the right place before you work here.
Pros
Vacations, care team, counselors, helping an addict with sobriety. Watching someone enter into recovery.
Cons
The employees who only want a paycheck opposed to helping a client regain control of ones life.
very productive learning environment
CDPT (Former Employee) –  puget sound areaSeptember 1, 2019
great supervisors and lead- very professional. offered a great deal of information needed to move forward and to advance in the field of SUD. There was room for growth and flexibility and educational opportunity.
Pros
great supervisor and lead very professional offered a great deal of information
Cons
could not always reache them because they worked tin the prisons
Worst company next to Low Income Housing
Supervisor Chemical Dependency Counselor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 29, 2019
Low Income Housing Institute should work with ABHS and make this whole heroine, meth, homeless problem and destroy the entire state with their Unethical tactics, manipulation, greed and self indulgence. Horrible agencies with even worst intentions. These agencies need to be shut down. They contribute to the epidemic every day in the worst way.
Pros
Cons
Worst treatment provider in the state. Shouldn’t even be allowed to provide treatment services
Love my job.
Laundry and Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Spokane valley washAugust 28, 2019
My review was meeting with the supervisor and he went though my app and we talked awhile and told me what the job was about. Asked me if this was what I wanted I said yes. He hired me the same day 3 days later I was working
Fast paced environment
Chemical Dependency Counselor (Former Employee) –  Yacolt, WAAugust 20, 2019
It's a great place to get experience. You learn a lot from staff and supervisors, and the pay is good. Medical isn't great though. Meals are offered for low prices as well.
Pros
Helpful peers
Cons
Miscommunication
You don't wanna work for this place thay treat their employees like garbage
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 14, 2019
Very poor management they hire convicts that just get out of prison trust me I worked for this company for 2 years an they dont care about the clients at all they yeal at clients an treat them with such disrespect if your a parent that has your kid going to this facility I would advise you to take your loved ones an transfer them to a another facility that has nothing to do with amarican Behavioral health
Pros
Na
Cons
You dont get brakes if you do take a break you will get a right up
Everett is a great place to work. Great team, works together,
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAJuly 18, 2019
Working at ABHS in Everett is great. I have been here since the beginning and there are many opportunities for growth. We work as a team and help each other out. DOC staff is fun and helpful.
Lousy place
Care Team Member (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 17, 2019
STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish I could give zero stars to this horribly unprofessional company. All the company cares about is the money. They make all the clients pay upfront that way the client can leave if they choose and they still have the money. As one client told me its " It's prison without the bars." Voluntary clients are put with harden criminals or the severely mentally ill. Counselors will give clients higher scores in order to qualify them for treatment to...yup you guessed to get more money.

The clients take out all their frustrations on the staff. They will threaten to harm you or file a false accusation against the staff. There's a severe lack of training when it comes to working with these types of individuals. Supervisors are constantly being fired and hired and the ones that have stuck around aren't qualified. The coworkers are nice but lazy which means everything will follow on you other wise the clients will get upset and threaten you. Many of the clients are nice people but have made decisions. I've lost count of the number of clients that told how horribly run and how unprofessional ABHS is. Some of the clients would rather go back jail because they're treated better. The buildings are falling apart were different parts of the building are either freezing or melting. The toilets in the bathrooms hardly flush, the handicap stalls are broken and haven't been fixed in years. This company goes completely against their mission statement. This is an extremely unethical company.

There is union...
  more... however there presence is almost non-existent. You don't really know who the union reps are. The HR department will find away to work around the union to terminate you. HR will only believe the clients... the clients that have criminal records longer than you arm over you. You won't receive the pay that you truly deserve so you will make minimum wage. You will be treated better at fast food than working for ABHS.  less
I enjoy working at ABHS
CDP/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 28, 2019
The job can be very challenging and the expectations are high however this is a great opportunity to learn and grow. The clients are amazing and the staff are great.
Pros
Teamwork environment
This company has no integrity.
CDP (Former Employee) –  Chehalis, WAJune 21, 2019
This company has no integrity. Get sign on bonus in writing before accepting position or they will claim ignorance and not pay you. Client service is at the bottom of their list, employees are second to the bottom. EHR trainers will just insult you rather than train you, leaving employees to figure it out on their own. Supervisors are highly unskilled and not much use. Upper management is only concerned with profit, not with client service or employee retention. Health care benefits are the worst in the industry and now most other agencies are paying better with better benefits. If you must work here do so only as a temporary stop until you can find work with an honest agency.
Pros
great clients
Cons
lack of professionalism, zero integrity, always understaffed due to lack of employee retention.
No morale
Care Team Member (Former Employee) –  Washington StateJune 15, 2019
Training is non-existent,. 12 hour shift for part time. Low morale and too much gossip between employees. Many responsibilities for the low rate of pay.
Pros
Work with clients that appreciate you
Cons
Training, pay, long hours
Are you desperate enough to still want a job here?
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMay 30, 2019
All positions are understaffed, management are poor communicators ignore union rules while union ignores grievances when filed and managers continue to write up or fire on the drop of a hat if someone gets mad whether you are trained or not. Try to get employees to illegally chart on clients for payment. Ricky’s law is enforced without following laws and managers expect employees to follow illegal understaffing laws without complaint. Benefits way too expensive for what you get. Think your going to get unemployment if you are let go? Good luck they hire lawyers to help ensure you never see a dime. Chehalis charge nurse not up to date on laws and continues to inappropriately advise staff. Is your pay worth your license? Overbearing micromanager runs staffing and watches live video feed of employees to manage. Employees locked out of rooms simply because cameras are not positioned in those areas. Still looking for a job there? Wait long enough ABHS stands for Always Be Hiring Staff, people can only work that stressed, understaffed and micromanaged for so long before you burn out, get fired or end up with medical bills that outweigh your wage.
Pros
My bills were paid
Cons
Live camera feed used to monitor employees, Little to no union oversight, Good luck getting your work done after your forced break, no break room for detox staff, involuntary psyche patients forced with voluntary clients
Very stressful
Care Team (Current Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WAMay 26, 2019
Employees are treated very poorly. Always understaffed and management adds more to careteam workflow. At times there are 1 or 2 staff left on the floor with clients. Very stressful job, the pay is horrible and staff are treated just like clients. The building is falling apart and is either too hot or cold.
Review
Care team (Former Employee) –  Chehalis, WAMay 23, 2019
To many managers not enough workers. Everyone wants to pass the work load to other shifts. The benefits and pay is very low and no job security they will fire you without reason.
Pros
The hours worked for me
Cons
No advancement if you arent in the click you get passed over
Horrible place to work
Care Team Member (Former Employee) –  Spokane Valley, WAMay 16, 2019
You are over worked without the pay to match. Very toxic environment. Staff doesn’t care about the clients at all. It’s like walking on eggshells no matter how hard you work. And you barely get your breaks on 12 hour shifts
Unsafe place to work
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Chehalis, WAMay 13, 2019
ABHS does not care for their employees. There is no training, the police and procedures are not even correct to know what exactly is expected of your position. Unsafe working conditions, understaffed, unprofessional employees that get away with whatever they do and there is no official management. Toxic environment, bullying if your not in the “in click”, expected to do the impossible and then when you try to explain why that isn’t able to happen you get pushed even harder and no support. Everyone works against you, poor communication from management to employees. Constantly in fear that you are going to get written up due to rule change ever day depending on situation! The facility accepts patients that require higher levels of care that the facility can manage and someone is going to die there one of these days due to their unsafe practice!

If you value your professional license, and your self worth then don’t work here! Don’t let the pay be your reason for wanting to work there, you work so hard that the pay isn’t even worth it! The benefits there are horrible and it’s just not worth it! There is something off about that place and it should be shut down and shouldn’t be aloud to take care of these patients that the staff really don’t care about. They could care less that they are there for help and want help for becoming sober and get into inpatient for ongoing treatment...... all they do is care about the beds being filled and don’t truly care of where the people want in their treatment. Patients are treated very poorly!!
Pros
Cons
No breaks, never get lunches and forced to take them and still have to work while on lunch, toxic people, unfair management that play favorites.
Psychotic Management
LPN Med Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chehalis, WAMay 3, 2019
I was terminated in the parking lot in front of my peers and told my services were no longer needed and that this was a probation period. I asked what I did wrong and was given no explanation. This is a poorly managed place with unprofessional management especially the charge nurse. If you're not in the clique or involve yourself in gossip, you're outcasted and let go. I'm not sure why I was ever hired because my job was posted here the entire time of my employment. Worst place to work for LPNS.
Pros
Cons
No break room, awful management, horrible charge nurse
Very poorly managed.
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chehalis, WAApril 26, 2019
Unfortunately I cannot recommend this company to work for. This is an extremely, poorly-run detox center. Administration and our manager do not have a healthcare background and it shows. Their top priority is MONEY when it should be patients. Patients are cattled in. Voluntary and involuntary patients are grouped together. It is a very unsafe place to work at along with being a patient there. There are unstable, involuntary patients that put the lives of others in jeopardy. There are daily instances where we have no security available or scheduled to work during our shifts. I'm very concerned that a patient or staff member is going to be assaulted by an involuntary patient. More needs to be done to ensure the safety of all patients and staff.

In addition you really need a manager and charge nurse with REAL experience working and running a professional detox and rehab center. Our manager and charge nurse do not know how to run a detox/rehab center and both lack the ability and skills to manage a crew professionally. Very unprofessional and toxic at times.

The pay is excellent but the reason is because of high turnover rate. They cannot keep staff on despite the pay. If they want to be successful replace your charge nurse and manager.
Pros
Patients, other staff members and pay.
Cons
Administration, management, no breaks, safety and security is non existant.
great skills to learn
careteam (Former Employee) –  Chehalis, WAApril 2, 2019
fun place to learn new customer skills ive taken my skills an have watched them grow threw out all of my jobs since this job it was a rehab facility...
Pros
good pay
Cons
graveyard shift
loved it but not the hostillity
Care Team Member (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 21, 2019
was grave yards really enjoyed it tell the person who was haired 3 weeks before got senority because the person who worked that shift for 3 years left , so the person i was working with start doing power trips and telling our boss that i mess stuff up or would make me do something then then tell me she didnt say that

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Behavioral Health Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7