American Campus Communities Employee Reviews

Productive and collaborative workplace
Copeland Apartment Property, Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLDecember 1, 2018
American Campus Communities is an excellent company if you have an interest and passion for working in housing while building relationships with residents and community members.
eh
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 28, 2018
not bad but not really what i signed up for. the schedule is flexible the the demands for the job are high and sometimes unreasonable. pay does not always compensate for the amount of stress.
Unless you're best friends with an executive, avoid.
n/a (Former Employee) –  TexasNovember 27, 2018
This company focuses more on whose best friend you are than the talent and potential you bring to the company. You work too hard for not enough money. You will pull 12 hour days and then get in trouble for working overtime. There is no opportunity for advancement.
Great Company to work for and grow with.
Assistant Payroll/Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 19, 2018
Great Company to work for and grow with. The day always bring something to do. the starts with a morning meeting so all team is on same page. Then tackle your job. a lot of support and fun atmosphere to work in
Loved where i worked, but there is room for imporvement.
Community Assistant/Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NYSeptember 27, 2018
I enjoyed my time at American Campus Communities. I thought that the only issue that I consistently saw myself facing was that my managers were not that much older than me, making them less experienced than I think they should have been. I did love my first boss who started out as assistant general manager and then moved on to general manager, and finally out of the buffalo area to a new location. I know she will do exceedingly well! I also felt that there was not a safe space for recommendations to further the potential of the facility to be heard. I constantly was shot down on my ideas, and even when I pursued them, was told that I would not avail. I thrive in a positive and encouraging environment.
Granted, it has been a year since I worked there, so conditions may have improved.
hardest part of job
Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 21, 2018
Hardest part of job is working with management that lied on their resumes. Always in each other's office gossiping and plotting to fire. Immature and causes moral issues.
Good Company for some
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasSeptember 21, 2018
Has a great support team and a lot of ways to make you feel important from within the company. Playing the game and going with the grain is essential.
Pros
Job security, decent culture
Cons
Pay doesn’t equate to what is required of you, and advancing your career is difficult unless you are open to traveling across the nation.
I gained a lot of experience
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALSeptember 20, 2018
American Campus Communities is a wonderful company. They have lots of ability for advancement and to grow your career. However, they only hire students as their community assistants, and while that may seem great, they are not nearly as flexible about hours and days as they try to appear to be on paper.
Free lunches
Bookkeeping Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 20, 2018
No room for advancement in bookkeeping position, and no merit based raises.

Hard being in a quiet office with no outside communicaiton

I love helping residents solve their problems.

I learned that I am happier in an environment with a variety of people and commotion going on.
Work place that resolves around growing a family oriented community.
Bookkeeper, Resident Hall (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 17, 2018
Overall the company is a great place to work. Not only do they promote from within but give the tools necessary to grow in your career. Focus on maintaining who they are while also improving themselves make this an ideal place at any point any ones career.
productive and fun to work.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXSeptember 16, 2018
It was a good experience working with this company.I learned many things I did not know before such as the organizing events, supervising the students and working the machines in the office. Management was the best they were understanding and I learned everything from them. The hardest part of the job was balancing work and school work. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to see that people you work with daily.
Pros
Build relationships with the people you work with.
Cons
balancing work and school work
A Phenomenal Place To Work
Senior Community Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 5, 2018
ACC has been a blessing in so many ways to me. Working as a CA and learning as much as I am is great. Maintaining that working relationship with your tenants but also getting to know important marketing strategies has been highly exciting! I've also been blessed to be offered full-time positions on multiple occasions within the company so there is always room to go up! I can honestly say that I've had no better privilege than to work with a company that shines as bright as ACC.
Pros
Work, Life, Student Experience, Full-time Opportunities Available
Cons
May Have to Move Across Country For Full-time Position
Not a good place to work as a porter or maintance tech
Porter/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  MissouriAugust 28, 2018
Too many tasks for two people to complete
Poor management,
Management disrespectful
Corporate does care about anything except having all rooms rented
Human resources are two faced
As a porter they want you to do maintance work for porter pay and maintance techs don't help clean
To be on call means come in on the weekends to clean the pool area
Cons
The whole place
fun wok environment
Community Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 2, 2018
It was really flexible, being that I am a student
Management was very understanding
fun environment to work and express
good marketing and customer service experience
Not a good company
Jr. Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 31, 2018
The company will always put its residents before their own employee's. Overall will be treated very poorly, & will not grow within the company. Not satisfied
Cutthroat, Poor Management, Favoritism, and Unrealistic
Leasing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 26, 2018
Horrible management who solely focus on blaming others when things go wrong, taking credit for things that go well, and creating a negative work environment with threats and hierarchy/power issues. Great benefits for health, vision, and dental! Horrible hours with unrealistic expectations for being at a job 10+ hours daily, but management will come in late, leave early, or simply not show up. Very corporate atmosphere with individuals in HR and Management who play favorites and cannot remain impartial during employee disputes or eligibility for promotion and raises. No concern for the residents they serve unless it creates money for the company. Absolutely no concern for employees as they will terminate people who have worked there for 5/10 years on a whim or based off of gossip, hearsay, or due to someone disliking the individual. Hypocritical training of teamwork, empowerment, and a students first mindset with no real commitment to those ideologies.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Training
Cons
Hours, Management, Atmosphere
A company that doesn't care about their employers.
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2018
My experience with ACC was very unfortunate. I am a young, female student who worked officially as a Community Assistant but also worked as the Leasing Assistant without receiving pay for the second job I was completing. This went on for months. Their sister property was paying their same positions $5-7 more, held up their discount prices on rooms offered to working students and paid them extra for each lease sold. (None of this occurred at our location.) I was taken advantage of by this company and their management. It is no wonder they were bought out by GreyStar in some locations. Would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
Free lunches for residents.
Cons
No benefits. Low pay. Little room for advancement.
Keep on moving
Property Accountant (Former Employee) –  Bee Cave, TXJuly 17, 2018
If you actually understand accounting, you're better off elsewhere. They are looking for professional button pushers who will just smile and nod. Promotions and raises are for those who are in the in-group rather than those who do the heavy lifting.
Great for college students
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 15, 2018
This job is wonderful for college students. You must be able to manage this job with your work load as a student. The housing compensation is wonderful but be aware that you may go weeks without getting an actual paycheck because of it. Some of the managers are amazing, but some are horrible at their jobs and it depends on where you're placed for the day as to which one you'll get. I overall enjoyed my time at ACC but there are flaws to this company. Despite that, the working environment, for the most part, was extremely friendly and you felt a connection to your managers and fellow employees.
Pros
Housing
Cons
Little to no pay
Great Company
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 25, 2018
I really enjoyed my experience working with this company! They offer training and advancement opportunities. They ensure that you are working in a safe and reliable atmosphere. I learned a lot from my upper management. Some times your are on emergency on call but you are compensated for overtime. They also make sure you have balanced time for family, and are compassionate when you have loss time for family events.
Pros
Cons
Turn schedules can be difficult sometimes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Campus Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight