American Campus Communities Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
fun wok environment
Community Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 2, 2018
It was really flexible, being that I am a student
Management was very understanding
fun environment to work and express
good marketing and customer service experience
Not a good company
Jr. Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 31, 2018
The company will always put its residents before their own employee's. Overall will be treated very poorly, & will not grow within the company. Not satisfied
Cutthroat, Poor Management, Favoritism, and Unrealistic
Leasing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 26, 2018
Horrible management who solely focus on blaming others when things go wrong, taking credit for things that go well, and creating a negative work environment with threats and hierarchy/power issues. Great benefits for health, vision, and dental! Horrible hours with unrealistic expectations for being at a job 10+ hours daily, but management will come in late, leave early, or simply not show up. Very corporate atmosphere with individuals in HR and Management who play favorites and cannot remain impartial during employee disputes or eligibility for promotion and raises. No concern for the residents they serve unless it creates money for the company. Absolutely no concern for employees as they will terminate people who have worked there for 5/10 years on a whim or based off of gossip, hearsay, or due to someone disliking the individual. Hypocritical training of teamwork, empowerment, and a students first mindset with no real commitment to those ideologies.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Training
Cons
Hours, Management, Atmosphere
A company that doesn't care about their employers.
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2018
My experience with ACC was very unfortunate. I am a young, female student who worked officially as a Community Assistant but also worked as the Leasing Assistant without receiving pay for the second job I was completing. This went on for months. Their sister property was paying their same positions $5-7 more, held up their discount prices on rooms offered to working students and paid them extra for each lease sold. (None of this occurred at our location.) I was taken advantage of by this company and their management. It is no wonder they were bought out by GreyStar in some locations. Would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
Free lunches for residents.
Cons
No benefits. Low pay. Little room for advancement.
Keep on moving
Property Accountant (Former Employee) –  Bee Cave, TXJuly 17, 2018
If you actually understand accounting, you're better off elsewhere. They are looking for professional button pushers who will just smile and nod. Promotions and raises are for those who are in the in-group rather than those who do the heavy lifting.
Great Company
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 25, 2018
I really enjoyed my experience working with this company! They offer training and advancement opportunities. They ensure that you are working in a safe and reliable atmosphere. I learned a lot from my upper management. Some times your are on emergency on call but you are compensated for overtime. They also make sure you have balanced time for family, and are compassionate when you have loss time for family events.
Pros
Cons
Turn schedules can be difficult sometimes
Two out of three requirements met
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJune 22, 2018
In my experience, you have three categories, managers, co-workers, and residents/customers. In order to be happy at a job you need to satisfy at least 2 of those categories. Hilltop was a great experience, the residents were fantastic, the co-works were all close knit and tight, BUT the managers played favorites and it really made times unpleasant. the managers would make the employees they did not favor work all the holidays and bad hours. However other than that, I would work there again.
Frustrating at times
Leasing (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 10, 2018
Working for ACC has been very informative. I have learned a lot over my time with them. However, I would say it is very easy to get burnt out with this company in certain markets. It can become stagnant in regards to advancement and the pay could be much better.
Pros
On the job training
Cons
hectic, stagnation, not the best pay.
Fails to promote dedicated employees.
Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJune 6, 2018
A typical work day was long and arduous. I have learned that overlooking those who have dedicated their time and talents can be costly. The workplace culture was inviting. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting people.
Pros
Meeting people.
Cons
Working long hours during Turn.
A great place to work.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester NYJune 6, 2018
To check buildings and grounds and take notes of issues to taken care of. Go on line and check work orders and prioritize as to immediate to routine. Assign the staff work orders. Do building inspections and check in with the manager. I learned management and security of my complex. I worked well with management. The workplace culture was very wide and educational in many aspects. The hardest part of the job was getting the residents to keep the areas clean from their trash. The most enjoyable was meeting new people
Pros
The young staff and the energy they had
Cons
Some residents with issues with rules

Want to know more about American Campus Communities?

Ask a question
Work long hours no pay
Leasing Director (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, TXJune 2, 2018
You work long hours and the pay is not all that great. I wasn’t trained but I picked up very fast. If you’re not a people person this isn’t the job for you.
ACC - Great structure and management
Leasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 31, 2018
I loved my time with ACC, and I was with them for 6 years (half as a college student and the other half in management). I learned so much, and had so many people willing to train me. I did feel like they were living in the dark ages a bit, but it's been long enough since I've worked for them, that I hope they're not doing paper leases anymore! I never intended to leave ACC, but life took me in a different direction.
Fair and challenging management staff
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 31, 2018
Passionate management team enabled personal and professional growth among the staff. I learned much more than I anticipated and would work there again
Pros
excellent PTO structure
Cons
would like to see a more sustainable approach to food and water waste in cafeteria
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 29, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of setting up the office for the workday, doing some paperwork, filing, taking phone calls and selling leases to customers.
Great place to live and work at the same time
Sales (Current Employee) –  Denton, TXMay 28, 2018
A typical day consists of giving tours to possible residents and selling rooms for 12 month leases. Also consists of office work such as, sorting mail, filing, and packages.
Pros
Good community
Cons
Emergency on call phone
Good people
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  State College, PAMay 23, 2018
I loved working there but sold the property and never offered the maintenance guys if we wanted to move with the company would have liked to have moved up here but it's just like they dropped us and never looked back
the best person ever in the world
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GA 31601May 23, 2018
this job is okay and its a fun way to get a job on your resume. their is a lot of people there. most people are there. most of the time there is a lot of people.
Sit there and answer calls of noise complaints and possible police activity
Night Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZMay 21, 2018
No real advancement, no pay raise, managers don't really care beyond what they need to do. You don't really learn much and often find any requests for quality of life changes ignored. Do well at your job in terms of showing up on time and answering parent's calling well and find yourself baby sitting new employees with no compensation.
Pros
Cons
Management, Pay, Overall treatment as an employee
great opportunity for sales and customer service experience
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC 28213May 17, 2018
The workplace is very much enjoyable, however there are internal factors at play in the company that make the jobs of lower level employees more difficult. Many customer complaints were about the policies of the company which are out of management and community assistant's power. This job though was a great opportunity to further sales experience and gain technical training for operating phone systems, special programs, and customer service.
Resident Director (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 14, 2018
Everything with me depends on your career aspirations. If you like working with young adults, this would be a great place for you to work. There are career opportunities depending on what you want to do.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Campus Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight