American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

Exciting place to work.
Special Events Director (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 6, 2018
A typical day involves working with volunteers to plan and execute special events to raise money for cancer research. Everything about this job was really good. I enjoyed all my years there.
LeslieCordts
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 6, 2018
I found working at the American Cancer Society relaxed
and a great learning experience for having been out of
the work force, per se as a caregiver for my parents for 11 years.

I have answered telephones, greeted visitors , accepted
mail, folded brochures, stuffed envelopes, etc.

It is not a hard job. The employees are very helpful.
Pros
good learning experience
Cons
salary
ACS is a friendly, comfortable place to work.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 4, 2018
I learned phone answering skills on how to direct the caller to help they were looking for. The work atmosphere is slow paced, comfortable and friendly. The hardest part of the job is idle time when there are nospecific tasks to perform or phone calls to answer. The most enjoyable part is the fellow workers.
Interesting Place to Internship
Relay For Life Intern (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 4, 2018
The American Cancer Society was an interesting place to internship at and I enjoyed my experience. I was only there for a brief period, but in getting to know long-term employees it did not seem like there was much chance for major advancement.
Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, TXJune 4, 2018
I love working for the American Cancer Society, it is a great place to work for. I like the time schedules, the pay and the benefits are great. Love the time off and the holiday pay.
stable work out of graduate school
Cancer Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hershey, PAJune 4, 2018
I earned experience working with cancer data. It was a nice to be able to do my job from home. A typical day included report writing and sending reports back to PA office for review
Very proficient and all employees were focused on their clients as well as sponsors
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAMay 30, 2018
My experience with the American Cancer Society was a fabulous one! The employees work so well together and their compassion for the sponsors and clients was at an all-time high serving them with the utmost compassion and consideration. It was a privilege to work for the A.C.S. and I'm grateful for the opportunity to have worked there for that short time.
Pros
Great employees, great company, great atmosphere
Cons
Temporary Position
Has a great mission.
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 30, 2018
A collaborative team for most of the time. Learning opportunities. Opportunities to work with other non-profits. Assist cancer patients with resources.
American Cancer Society
Intern, Health and Hospital Systems (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDMay 29, 2018
I had the best experience with the American Cancer Society. My manager and the people were really great and supportive of all my needs. There was not a lot of job openings and they were eliminating some positions when I left which was one downfall of the company. Great mission and great people working here.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Job security wasn't the best.
Lots of changes
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 24, 2018
Being with the organization for more than 30 yrs I was able to see a lot of good and bad within the organization. I would say A LOT more of it was GOOD until about 8 yrs ago when things started to change. Most jobs are very unstable you never knew when the next set of lay offs would come around. It was normally Monthly they would go thru changes and of course it was always the ones with long tenure that they would let go. Not all were at the age to collect any retirement and were still in need of a job. All staff knew of this consistent change and frustration and stress but no one left because if you left on your own you would not get a separation package. Who wants to leave an organization they invested most of their life into and receive nothing for leaving. Most only wanting to leave because of the uncertainty of when your time was next to receive the pink slip, but unfortunately you have to stay thru all the stress in order to get any kind of separation package. Because of these layoffs they would also overload staff with more work but less pay. Otherwise the work environment was very relaxed depending on your position.
Pros
relaxed work environment
Cons
Stressful with uncertainty of job security
Typical day at work
Patient Navigator (Former Employee) –  Mendota Heights, MNMay 8, 2018
I took calls in a Call Center setting. I responded to requests and helped fill those requests on cancer patient needs for breast prosthesis, wigs, resource materials, referrals for transportation to chemo treatments.
Pros
This was rewarding
Cons
It was also sad to hear so many people had to batlle cancer
It was not a job, Just volunteer work
Team Captain/ Organizer (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAMay 8, 2018
The Relay for Life event is life-changing. It is a place to engage with others who have been through the trauma of witnessing cancer affecting other or even yourself.
Great opportunity to give back to the community !
USFSA, Volunteer Competition Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Volunteer AtlantaMay 6, 2018
Very strong organization that is geared towards helping others through challenges , such as cancer, in their life. It was always a pleasure knowing that you could work and help another individual as well.
Pros
Helping others
Cons
compensation
I very much enjoyed my work at the American Cancer Society - love the mission
Director of Campaign and Major Gifts (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MAMay 6, 2018
Working for the American Cancer Society was one of the best positions I have held. On a daily basis you knew you were helping people with cancer because of the research being done with the money that we raised.
workplace culture
Senior Manager, Real Estate Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 3, 2018
ACS was a great place to work! I enjoyed my job and hated to leave. The company was very supportive and embraced work life balance. Employees were encouraged to advance in their careers.
Volunteer
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 3, 2018
I helped set up for occasional events. Great environment for a wonderful cause. You get to hear amazing stories from people who have overcome a devastating disease.
Constant restructuring and high turnover
Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMay 2, 2018
At 24/7 beck and call of volunteers.
Unrealistic event goals.
Little to no investment in new staff.
It seems like ACS is planning to eliminate all events under$75-100k, so taking a role in community development is a huge risk, even in major metro areas.
Regional leaders are paid extreme amounts of money to give cliche speeches with no idea what it’s like to be in the field.
Pros
The mission is great, and there you will meet some amazing people.
Cons
Working 50+ hrs/week with zero respect from leadership
Acs
Coordinator, Community Support (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 1, 2018
I love working for the American Cancer Society. Helping cancer patients is so rewarding. We work as a family at my office and everyone is laid back and willing to help one another. ACS has a generous PTO package, too. First 1-3 yrs you get 20 days of PTO. Then 3-5 is 25 and so on.
Cons
There have been a few major layoffs
Customer Service
Event Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New York StateMay 1, 2018
Interpersonal skills play a major role in the day to functions of any role within the organization. I truly enjoyed the level of community engagement I experienced and loved this most.
Excellent working environment
ASSISTANT TO THE FUND RAISING DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 29, 2018
Although the work was largely administrative/clerical, the environment was pleasant and my coworkers and superiors were wonderful people. The fact that we were helping to support cancer patients and research was fulfilling as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cancer Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight