American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

Found 1,005 reviews matching the search See all 1,006 reviews
Poorly organized
Community Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VA 24018December 12, 2018
No amount of compensation and benefits is worth the poor management and organization of this company. The job description I was given was amazing, but the actual job ended up being completely different and very disappointing. There is far too much middle management and being proactive is almost always discouraged.
paid time off was excellent
SENIOR IMAGING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 8, 2018
Nice place to work, employees are very friendly. Nice atmosphere to work in. Benefit package was nice especially the paid time off. Our last manager could use some additional training in his position. Wasn't very knowledge of the work.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Last manager not very knowledgable
learning experience, help me grow as a professional
Development Program Manager (Former Employee) –  West Bridgewater, MADecember 4, 2018
The ACS is an amazing place to work. Great culture. training provided, focus on work life balance, mission driven.
Can be challenging is that you mist depend on volunteers to get your job done.

It is the work place where I grew the most and learned the most life skills.
Pros
training, friendships
Cons
can be long hours, have to depend of vols and economy
Great company, but experiences can change with staff
Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  USDecember 3, 2018
Overall, I loved working here. I would have continued to work here for years if my position had not been eliminated. My only complaint is that I did not have much support and had to teach myself how to do my job.
Pros
mission, cause, community
Cons
training, work-life balance
Area Patient Services Representative
Area Patient Services Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 26, 2018
I do not believe this specific position exists anymore. At that time I was responsible for recruiting, training and managing the volunteers of Hillsborough and Polk counties to implement and run the programs and services of the ACS. Other duties required
Pros
Working for the cause
Cons
At the time I had two small children and neglecting them in favor of job
Nice people, low pay
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHNovember 24, 2018
I liked working here because of the people and the mission. The pay was lousy. I was laid off due to budget cuts after five years.

Management was great. Felt supported here. We had fun activities. Great volunteers.

I really cared about the job.
Pros
The mission, coworkers
Cons
Pay
volunteer work
volunteer (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 24, 2018
Started my volunteer hours in high schools and worked here for a summer. I learned office skills and just helped out with whatever they needed. Sometimes I cleaned
Review American Cancer Society
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CANovember 19, 2018
Inadequate compensation. Lack of direction of roles and priorities. Poor peer culture. Little desire seen of peers to promote an integrated and positive interaction of peers and clients.
Lacking in Fiscal Responsibility
DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Georgia/HeadquartersNovember 18, 2018
Top heavy with Management Staff that have little to no SOLID BUSINESS EXPERIENCE in the FOR PROFIT Business Management sector.
More time spent trying to figure out how to save money by cutting valuable patient programs, instead of learning how to SELL and DEVELOP large income producing vehicles.
If a person is savvy about what is really going on specific to the questionable "marketing/branding/money allocation" strategies between National Health Charities and Big Pharma, Big Food, and Gov't entities, this is merely another card holding member of the Unholy Alliance!
Look elsewhere
PRIMARY CARE (Former Employee) –  UndisclosedNovember 17, 2018
I was hired then let go 5 months later, along with other staff, due to budget shortfalls. Two years prior, there were also large layoffs due to budget shortfalls. While I worked there, I spent alot of time doing things that I didn't believe added any value to the mission. Long hours spent in training and using belabored processes to get anything done.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Bad health insurance, job insecurity, low pay
Primary Care Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 16, 2018
I enjoyed my time with this organization. My work was fulfilling and felt that I really touched many people's lives. and help to increase cancer screenings.
Pros
mission
Cons
unstable fundraising
Never again
Donations & Income Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 14, 2018
I wish I hadn't wasted my life there. As soon as you get seniority and make too much they get rid of you. Stressful and traumatic place to work. You'd think people would be making donations to a cancer non-profit but nope. Never again will I work a call center and never again will I support this organization
Pros
Pay
Cons
Stress
great volunteer work
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Zion, ILNovember 12, 2018
great volunteer work for the Look Good Feel Better class for women with cancer or in recovery. Hands on teaching how to apply skincare products and makeup.
This was a mostly rewarding job
CDE Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 11, 2018
I enjoyed working with the ACS. It was rewarding knowing that what I was doing was helping someone else who was sick or worse. Although not all of the tasks were fun. It is hard to to complete a task for someone that involves where a death is concerned, It's hard to know that someone has passed away and sometimes those tasks were hard to take in. They were sometimes daunting tasks especially when it was someone who was very very young.
Pros
Helping other, fundraising
Cons
A lot of management changes in the time that I was there.
n/aI
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARNovember 9, 2018
I did not enjoy this job. They take advantage of you. You must work without support and I spent a lot of my own money to get my work done. I would not recommend this job
fun
Volunteer Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 3, 2018
I was lucky enough to be the coordinator for the Kent county location, i helped match a patients need for a ride to a volunteer that could take that patient to their appointment. I also helped drive patients in the Van Buren and Montcalm county areas too.
Pros
new friends
Cons
had to stop
Work Place Culture
Endpoint Administration Engineer (ACS IT Cures (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2018
Typical Day: Administrative duties, Monitoring systems, and supporting the Society to assure IT Components function. Work place culture is relaxed, employees are friendly and helpful.
Pros
Relaxed Work Environment
Cons
Less opportunity for Certification Training, Less opportunity of promotions or salary increases
Good people
SENIOR INCOME SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 25, 2018
This is a good company with caring people. Unfortunately there is just not opportunities to advance your career. Training is lackluster so you must be motivated to teach yourself the skills you want to acquire. There have been several lay-offs due to restructuring in the last 3 years a Things are more stable now. This is a great place to work for cancer survivors as it is rewarding in its nature alone
Pros
Good people
Cons
No opportunity to advance
Productive and informative and funfilled days
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin TexasOctober 24, 2018
Learned a lot and truly appreciate all the staff. It was worth working there. Learned alot of different job aspects. Two many thing to write. I took away that this comapany really cares about the people that work there and the people that they help.
Volunteer - Visual Merchandising & Cashier
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAOctober 19, 2018
Volunteer – Roseville, CA
Provided excellent customer service to new and existing clients, creative in visual merchandising, and responsible as a cashier and accountable of closing the register. Actively involved in community outreach and donation solicitation.
Pros
Meet wonderful people & store discounts
Cons
Volunteer = no income. Rare for any positions to open up.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cancer Society. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

80%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

40%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss