American Cancer Society

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility

Easy for time off for children and doctor office app.

I love working there and the people. i did a little of everything in the office. the were very nice and alot of fun. I enjoy going to meetings and setting up for fairs

Pros

easy place to work

Cons

all women can be a pain

It is just okay

Lots of time afterhours and management is all over the place. They move up and down and if you are in the way you will be let go. Very flexible schedule

Great place to work under the right leadership

I enjoyed working for ACS-Hope Lodge. The organization is mission driven and purposeful. I resigned because of poor leadership at my lodge and the way that I was treated by my new supervisor. When I resigned, I was treated even worse. She was impatient and sometimes unfamiliar with the truth. There was a lack of training for me in regards to completing assigned tasks. If I didn't understand a task, she would give a deep sigh and take over the task always seeming annoyed. She was often very moody. I trued to hang in there. However, it was not a good fit for me. It's too bad as I was much happier in a different position and under a different supervisor.

Pros

Great benefits, the patients, close proximity

Cons

Poor leadership at my lodge

Amazing benefits, co-workers, and mission

I feel extremely fortunate to have worked at ACS—the training is pretty amazing now that I’ve worked other places where you largely have to just figure it out. The benefits = SO good. I started as a Cancer Info Specialist which I couldn’t have done forever as it is draining to take inbound calls all day, but the context of helping someone through a cancer journey is a thousand times more motivating than say, making a sale at Spectrum. And I got my first schedule choice, 7-3:30 which was huge (know others did not, bit of a call center gamble). Most of my managers were great, and I adored my peers in the Quality department where I ended up. There are some boring meetings and dumb policies but I think that can be found almost anywhere.

Pros

Benefits, Mission, Co-workers

Cons

Monotonous, Metrics standards, Escalated callers

Coordinator

Work/life balance was goodManagement was supportiveEasy to take time off when necessaryAble to work from home when neededLocation was excellentFun company culture

Pros

Good location

Cons

Job security was nonexistent

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Great way to Interact with the Population we serve

I have over a year of experience as a Coordinator at the SLC Hope Lodge. We assist guests in checking in and out, doing daily operating duties, and overall being good customer service representative for the people who stay there. In this position you get a lot of direct contact with the population this organization serves so you get a real chance to see the impact your work is having on people who are going through some of the toughest times of their lives.

Pros

Great Environment, Good Management, Working Alone most of the time

Cons

Working alone most of the time

Excellent place to work.

I learned to so much from working at the American Cancer Society. It motivated me to become a medical assistant to work with oncology patients. I highly recommend it.

Pros

Great people, great job/life balance.

Cons

Absolutely none!

Great organization but unorganized

This nonprofit floats heavily on name recognition. The inner workings are messy and unclear. You think your job is one thing, but it turns out to be something completely different. High turn over. Very little support in your role, everyone seems to be figuring things out as they go. Very kind people, but there seems to be little structure aiding them in all the work they do.

Pros

Pay was good, looks good on your resume, co-workers were nice

Cons

Everything else

Good work/life balance

Your experience greatly depends on your manager.I had a good experience with him.That said, Senior management is pretty bad. It's all about the $ at that level. They will shave every dime they can........and if that means shaving jobs, they will. In my time there, of about 5 years, I went through 8 rounds of layoffs. It's terrible......it just happens, at the drop of a hat, so job security is WEAK.

Pros

Work / life balance, flexible immediate management, at level 1

Cons

Job security is weak

This job was non pay , lovred it

I worked on oncology floor over 10 yrs, loved the patiets. And most the staff I was located in the chemo. Room, making sure the patients. Felt they had the information needed about their dz, ANy thing. Reported to me I tried to visit to the correct person thT could assist

Pros

Enjoyed. The clients, job

Cons

The. Ladies. I worked with loved to gossip

Great work/life balance and benefits

The organization provides amazing benefits and work/life balance with most of its workforce working remote indefinitely but there is no opportunity for advancement and pay is not up to industry standards.

Benefits

Cons

No opportunity for advancement

No longer a good place to work

Too many metrics to meet, micromanaged, the company is in financial disarray and no loyalty to workers with longevity. I would not recommend this company, they laid off entire departments with no warning.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

Micromanaged, no sick leave unless out for 4 days with a doctors note

Good training and a good company to work for.

I can only speak for my area but I enjoyed my time at American Cancer Society. First, you receive great training at the beginning (at times it was overkill though) and the culture in the office was great. Local management was always very helpful and didn't micromanage. For the most part, I was given the tools needed to succeed.I dealt with a couple of the usual frustrations that you get at jobs but overall, it's a very good company to work for.

Pros

Good culture, great training, solid company

Cons

Lower on the pay scale but not bad.

Curing cancer is a business.

There were great aspects about the job, meeting volunteers that gave their everything to the cause and helping patients with free wig services when I started. Direct Supervisors were always willing to help you grow in your position and provide guidance. But I realized the few years I was there that toward the end of the year was always stressful, because they would do layoffs. Employees that are out on the field fundraising are overworked and not paid enough for what they do. I felt COVID was a reason to help company clean house. Many layoffs and then job positions posted within a few days for similar positions.

Pros

Meeting volunteers, great direct supervisors

Cons

Hard to get time off, overworked and underpaid

Purposeful, great benefits but high expectations.

It gave me an opportunity to create, be the lead of various scenarios to help the cancer community and work independently. Always challenging but so gratifying.

Pros

Great employee wellness program. Able to work with a super diverse group of constituents.

Cons

Always needing to keep radar on for revenue opportunities.

Productive and nice place to volunteer

Nice place to learn and volunteer if you would like to experience a non-profit organization setting. Leadership members are very kind, and they are willing to help.

Okay job for recent graduates

This was my first job after college. It was fairly easy to get hired. The hours weren't great to start (nights/weekends), but you got a couple dollars more for those shifts. The health benefits were good. The management was the worst, all they cared about was the quantity of calls and not so much the quality. I was feeling sick one day and asked to go home, but the manager said I had to stay because it was busy, I ended up getting worse and having to go to the doctor the next day. No professional tools or knowledge for future advancement in the professional world, just learned about cancer.

Pros

You get to meet new people

Cons

Bad management, bad pay, worst starting hours for newbies.

Great working with many types of people but no work/life balance

ACS did an amazing job of onboarding their employees to train them for each position. They provided a lot of information but also made it fun to keep everyone engaged. The 80+ hour work weeks not so much fun.The job is fulfilling but can also be depressing. My life was my work and everything it entailed. Not much room for balance.

Pros

Worked with variety of people, exceptional training on position, unique perks l

Cons

No life outside of work

Productive and fun volunteer environment

Fun tasks that are engaging and serve a good cause (cancer awareness, awareness of negative side effects of smoking to various communities, fundraising strategizing and executing)

Mission-focused employees

Most of the leadership that was there when I was have left the organization. Frankly, I struggled during my time there and felt that I didn’t necessarily have the support of my manager.

Pros

Compensation, Mission-focused work

Cons

Few growth opportunities

Ok place to work, but no growth

When I worked there, it was just a call center to help patients and volunteers across the country. It was an easy job as long as you got all of your service requests done. My managers were hit or miss, some really good, and others really bad. There was no way to voice concerns as everything "was about the mission" but the people making the decisions weren't the ones who were working directly with patients. It was a good place to work because management is very hands-off as long as you get your work done. Good people work there, but again, hit or miss and some people are really bad at their job and have bad attitudes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cancer Society. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight