American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

Volunteer - Visual Merchandising & Cashier
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAOctober 19, 2018
Volunteer – Roseville, CA
Provided excellent customer service to new and existing clients, creative in visual merchandising, and responsible as a cashier and accountable of closing the register. Actively involved in community outreach and donation solicitation.
Pros
Meet wonderful people & store discounts
Cons
Volunteer = no income. Rare for any positions to open up.
Productive and fun workplace
Six Sigma Student Consultant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 17, 2018
Great place to work. Friendly and cooperative employees.

• Eliminated wastes in the form of time and processes in the donations’ warehouse using Time Study and Lean Six Sigma.
• Proposed 5S methodology to reorganize inventory based on ABC analysis, improving utilization by 15%.
• Applied Failure Mode Effect Analysis and analyzed KPIV & KPOV matrix to enable efficient retrieval of products from racks in the warehouse.
Unpaid Volunteer Job
Volunteer - Peer Educator (part-time) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 10, 2018
It was a nice experience to work alone so many people that are fighting against breast cancer. I had such a great time, the day's I volunteered went on fast. I was happy to help giving out waters or helping out runners.
Senior Director (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 9, 2018
Like all non profits the pay is awful, the rewards are endless as you are making a difference and saving lives. We really impact people, everyone is dedicated to our mission.
Pros
Great location, the CEO and leadership really care
Cons
Low pay
Very fun atmosphere
Event Management and Social Media Marketing (Former Employee) –  Saint John, INOctober 8, 2018
Contributor for annual Awareness and Fundraising campaign(s)
Liaised with local community and business leaders. Had the pleasure of working with very passionate individuals that made me a better person each time I interacted with him or her.
A caring place that cared for Cancer patients
Outreach Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ventura County, CAOctober 4, 2018
As an outreach coordinator, I provided breast health education and actively promoted mammograms amongst the Spanish speaking population. I also assisted patients in navigating through health systems, and trained in the ‘Look Good Feel Better’ program.
This was a volunteer position
Relay for Life Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDSeptember 30, 2018
I've been a volunteer for the American Cancer Society for 21 years. It is a great organization to volunteer for. Working with the ACS staff was always a great experience.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXSeptember 27, 2018
My job was to greet people as they came in, hand out literature, send condolence cards, take in donations either money or in equipment. I learned that there are so many kind hearted people in the community that deeply care and support cancer research. The culture at ACS is awesome. Everyone cares for each other. The hardest part of my job was also the best. Meeting cancer survivors from the youngest to the oldest and to hear their stories will stay with me the rest of my life.
Great nonprofit
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 23, 2018
The american cancer society was an overall good place to work. They do a lot of great work for the community and our country. The management staff was fair and knowledgeable
Great environment and positive learning experience
Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CASeptember 18, 2018
I valued my time with ACS. The job I had taught me valuable work skills, planning, and communication.

My favorite part was working within the community and learning what they found value in when it comes to fundraising and mission outreach.
Relaxed
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 16, 2018
Your able to set your hours. Come in as often or as little as needed. Your able to take your break or lunch when ever. Your helping raise money for the greater good. You learn how to personalize your own script on speaking with people.
Pros
You make your own hours
Cons
N/a
Focused on Mission
Community Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 15, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is working and meeting volunteers from around the state. There is a focus on the mission and raising awareness of the programs offered as well as a large fundraising component.
Very relaxed and beneficial work.
Data Capture Associate I (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 14, 2018
I really enjoyed my time at ACS. I liked the continuous work that we had, always something to do. I liked being to help out in other areas of the building as well. Although, I did not like that we could not work more than 37.5 hours a week unless approved. The pay was pretty good and the time off was above what I expected first starting out. They take care of their employees very well as well as patients. The management was very nice and understanding and worked with you on your schedule if something came up, and the PTO was great. I liked what my work did for the patients. Knowing that what I was doing was helping people during their most terrifying and emotional times was something that kept me going on occasion. I will miss the friendly atmosphere and pleasant coworkers.
Pros
Close knit working conditions. Everyone helped each other.
Cons
General office type environment, noises, cattiness from fellow employees.
Csr, msabc
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  East Lansing, MISeptember 12, 2018
Very poor management, called " boo" instead of being addressed by name. Very unprofessional staff, workplace culture is null and void.Hardest part of the job, no paid breaks, you have to use the restroom, you have to punch out, split shifts, no must leave and come back daily. The management never comes out of their office, unless you are in trouble for something. Very immature staff, very "ghetto" . Unprofessional dressing, flip flops is considered office attire? Anyone can get a job here, and it takes moving a mountain to get fired. Repetitive calling, same call over and over, even if someone is not interested, you call them back. Which is harassing. Not a good environment for someone that craves a professional environment. This place is a joke, they spend more time choosing what radio station to listen to....hope you like rap.....than they do actually working. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.
Pros
The day finally ends....
Cons
The whole environment
Great plce to work but, too many turnovers in upper management
Sr. Community Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCSeptember 11, 2018
In 6 years I've had 5 different managers. I love travelling and teaching so this job combines them both. Traveling to various counties, training volunteers, presenting our mission, programs, and services to community leaders and groups.
Disappointed
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  West RegionSeptember 7, 2018
Love the mission, but the organization has become toxic. Culture of fear and retaliation. Management short-sighted and not forward-thinking. Management does not listen to field staff. Teamwork is non-existent.
Pros
Strong mission
Cons
Poor leadership
My time at American Cancer
Recruiter/Fundraiser Coach (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 4, 2018
I was a temp. Work only for a limited time there. I like the organization and what it was doing to help others, It just wasn't any
job opportunities while I was there.
Pros
Cons
Short term position there
Great Place to Work.!!
Income Manager/ Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAAugust 28, 2018
This job was very rewarding and lots of fun. I got to meet a lot of caring people with a common purpose. To beat cancer!

Unfortunately, I got married and we got transferred and we had to move.
Pros
Meeting and interacting with people of all walks of life.
Cons
Witnessing someone losing the fight against cancer.
Good and rewarding job
Bilingual Client Navigator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 24, 2018
Nice place to work. Enjoy helping others. Got along well with co workers and management. Everyday is different. Parcitipated at events from the organization.
Pros
helping others
Cons
low pay
Mission Based Organization
Community Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 21, 2018
The mission is the focus of everyone at the American Cancer Society (ACS), which brings together all employees and volunteers for that common cause. ACS values employee development and providing the tools needed for employee success, which often the reality of the success of employees is based on the support of the direct manager.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cancer Society. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight