American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Poor fit, leadership churn
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 15, 2018
I wasn't here long, but in the short time I saw disorganized/competing goals among teams that should be aligned, and high churn among senior leadership.
Volunteer position
Newsletter Committee Chair (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 13, 2018
I worked from home to help out the Relay for Life event for the American Cancer Society. This was an unpaid volunteer position. I have nothing further to say.
nice coworkers
Sorter/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chico, CAAugust 11, 2018
very nice people that volunteer here. busy work but productive.gives the opportunity to learn customer service in an easy way. good work for people just starting working.
Great Direct Manager, Everyone Else Sucks
Community Development Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 10, 2018
This job will suck your soul. The cause is great, you can make more of a difference by creating Relay team. But relay is dying, nobody wants to help plan it. Upper management is removed from the mission. They are privelidged and spend donor dollars inappropriately.
Pros
Remote work
Cons
Yoy never get a true day off.
American Cancer Society
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
I was a volunteer at ACS. I did a lot of office work, like filing papers, stuffing envelopes, etc. It was a nice experience. I also used to volunteer for the cancer walk as well.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 9, 2018
Was a great place to volunteer and to take training. Learn about different scenarios on a daily life. How to manage difficult situations due to the health outcome.
This was the best first job ever. I was encouraged to develop my skills and was routine promoted,
Director of Finance (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 6, 2018
This was the most rewarding of jobs. I worked with the patients as well as volunteers on a daily basis. To be able to helps the patients with there day-to-day needs was very humbling. To get to know the thousands of volunteer was quite a unique experience, Management was very interested in it's staff getting heavily involved in patient care, fundraising and public education.
This organization encouraged financial building for the future, great benefits, mentoring and furthering job skills,
Pros
work environment, management, benefits & working with the public
Cons
the TN Division, as well as many other state offices, was closed for cost efficiency
American Cancer Society
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 1, 2018
Excellent place to work. Given the opportunity to research questions and assist the public. Able to spend as much time as possible with a caller as needed.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 1, 2018
Volunteer opportunities are open for all to help fundraise for the American Cancer Society. Relay for LIfe, Strides and other programs are just a few programs among the American Cancer Society umbrella.
Work/Life Balance Non Existent
Community Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston MarketJuly 31, 2018
For the nonprofit sector, ACS is one of the better paying organizations. However, when you count in all of the extra hours you work without overtime, it does not even out. There is an expectation that employees work well beyond their hours, stay late, have night and weekend meetings. Occasionally we can flex hours but that is dependent on your manager. The turnover is extremely fast and now that most employees will now be remote, I expect it to be worse. I'm uncomfortable in this work culture, especially because ACS claims to be a "grass roots" organization when our CEO is making 7 figures. It is very very corporate.
Cons
work life balance, pay, office culture
Productive and Friendly Working Atmosphere
Recruiter/Specialty Sales (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 27, 2018
Recruiting for fund raising consisted of heavy cold-calling various businesses in the community to request their support in helping raise funds. Worked through databases. Visiting businesses to drop off information packets to educate them in their donation efforts within.
Weekly staff meetings. Emailing daily/weekly status reports to Team Leaders. Everyone working towards the same goals. Friendly team and support. Very rewarding.
Pros
Relaxed working environment
Cons
Cold calling could be difficult; need to be persistent and friendly.
Great place to work, nice people
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Manasquan, NJJuly 26, 2018
Everyone I have encountered here is mission driven, nice and helpful. It is a great place to work and everyone supports one another. I am seasonal and they keep asking me back year after year, I would love to be full time. The benefits seem to be fantastic.
Very structured work enviroment
Data capture Associate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 25, 2018
Does not really support employee work and family balance
The work is number driven and production base. Does not really support employee work family balance.
Cons
number driven, and poor employee relations
Co-workers
Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXJuly 23, 2018
Co-workers are awesome and fun to work with. Very much team players.

The American Cancer Society is very diverse. The most important thing I have learned is how what it means to have a heart of GOLD.
A place to work where your passion can shine through.
Director of Planned Giving (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NHJuly 18, 2018
My position was very autonomous and required self-initiative and drive. Travel was a required component of the job, which I liked very much. ACS does a great deal to insure that employees have a good work-life balance.
it is fun
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAJuly 18, 2018
i loved it there people are friendly you get great training if you dont understand something they will help you everyone is always family not smoking witch i liked cus i hate smokes
Great place to work and meet people
Staff Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJuly 18, 2018
Must be able to cope with managing some volunteers who can be difficult and others that just don't have the time to do things the organizations ways. Will meet great people and great friends.. Fundraising can be difficult but have found that the poorest people give the most and have huge hearts. Will have a blast meeting new people and will be sad at times losing people that have become your friends. Must have a strong heart and passion for the cause to be successful
It was okay but I loved the people
PR Intern (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 17, 2018
I was the first intern my branch ever had, so while they need to work through giving more to do for the intern, the people were great. Everyone was committed and had a clear goal.
Very busy office
Senior Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crescent Spgs, KYJuly 17, 2018
Always busy, after hours volunteer work necessary, loved working with patients and helping with their needs. Management wasn't very educated on the needs of the associates or the patients
Pros
Worked with Patients
Cons
Bad management, no time for family life
good job
Event Coordination (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIJuly 16, 2018
lots of talking on the phone all day, setting up fundraisers and getting more people to register and to attend the different fundraisers around the country

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cancer Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight