American Cancer Society Employee Reviews

Found 1,026 reviews matching the search See all 1,027 reviews
Wonderful Co-workers
Income Development/Relay for Life Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHJanuary 19, 2019
During my time at the American Cancer Society I had the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people. My co-workers were a delight to work with. I loved being able to meet a variety of people during my time there and working with such beautiful volunteers. The ACS is a wonderful organization that holds firm in it's mission of helping those affected by cancer. They have the drive to lift up, inspire, and support those who are living in their darkest moments. I was honored to get the chance to work for them.
Pros
Working with volunteers, being involved with the various communities, delightful co-workers
Cons
Lack of proper training, constant travel, unavailable management staff
Work life balance was not a prioroty
Senior Centralization Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 26, 2018
Work life balance was not a priority for staff. Company lacked diversity in mid and upper level management. Compnay salary compensations were not adequate for work load.
Horrible atmosphere and treatment of employees
Sr. Manager, Community Development (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 3, 2019
The workplace culture is full of drama and disrespect. This is not only among coworkers and upper management but also towards major donors and volunteers. I am embarrassed for anyone to know I worked for the American Cancer Society.

Do not donate to them and do not work for them!
Donate to local organizations where you know where your money is going!
Poor Work/Life Balance
Community Development Director (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 28, 2019
Extremely low pay for the amount of work (60 hours/week for about 9 months/year). Great patient services but very little support for employees. They wouldn't make accommodations for a staff member diagnosed with cancer!
Area Patient Services Representative
Area Patient Services Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 26, 2018
I do not believe this specific position exists anymore. At that time I was responsible for recruiting, training and managing the volunteers of Hillsborough and Polk counties to implement and run the programs and services of the ACS. Other duties required
Pros
Working for the cause
Cons
At the time I had two small children and neglecting them in favor of job
Great mission, mobile work environment
Community Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 27, 2019
Overall it is a good place to work and provides learning opportunities. Modern work place in their flexibility, remote management, innovation, and diversity.
Pros
Flexible schedules, generous time off
Cons
long hours, high productivity requirements
Fun, productive and ready to make a difference
Coordinator, Community Support (Current Employee) –  Dublin, OHFebruary 4, 2019
ACS is amazing for all the events they do. I have learned allot more regarding the Distinguished Events - the more time each of these managers put into their jobs is a passion for me.
Pros
Flexibile Schedule
Cons
Event prep is sometimes chaotic
Good work environment. Teams given autonomy
CONFIGURATION / RELEASE TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 31, 2018
ACS is a large non-profit with revenues contingent on contributions and sponsors. The organization has a stable mangement environment from VP up, however, mid management tends to be volatile.
Overall good place to work with some pitfalls
Corporate Account Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 28, 2019
Overall the Society is a good place to work. In the three years I was there I worked in two different departments and there was constant change. The first department I worked in was difficult, the manager was a mico-manager and fairly negative. It was clear that peron didn't have management training. There wasn't a lot of work-life balance in that first position either. My second role with the Society was much better. The manager was much more supportive and knew how to coach.
During my time there though, there was constant organizational change and collaboration between departments was difficult.
I loved my day to day colleagues though and made some really great friendships.
Pros
working towards a great mission
Cons
poor pay, lack of collaboration
Poorly organized
Community Support Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VA 24018December 12, 2018
No amount of compensation and benefits is worth the poor management and organization of this company. The job description I was given was amazing, but the actual job ended up being completely different and very disappointing. There is far too much middle management and being proactive is almost always discouraged.
It was a wonderful place to volunteer
Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 10, 2019
I enjoyed volunteering there and helping patients and their families obtain valuable information and a sympathetic ear.

The Cancer Society does a wonderful job of providing services.
proffessional
Pledge representanative (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIDecember 31, 2018
Friendly work environment. Contact with donors and cancer partiens. routed parients to ACS information hotline to find sdupport available in their local area. Tokk donation pledges and processed credit cards
Pros
fun parties and tv for sports playoffs
Cons
No chance for advancement
Productive work enviroment. Supportive staff. Competent management. Work-Life balance is very important.
Health Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 1, 2019
I truly enjoyed the culture at ACS. I was very fortunate to have a very competent and encouraging manager. I was given detailed training in quality improvement and consultative sales. The hardest part of the job was being included in the nationwide layoff so soon after being hired.
Wonderful mission
Health Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 6, 2019
ACS has a wonderful mission to eradicate cancer world wide. They are faithful stewards of fundraising dollars and encourage staff to govern themselves in like manner.
Great company, but experiences can change with staff
Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  USDecember 3, 2018
Overall, I loved working here. I would have continued to work here for years if my position had not been eliminated. My only complaint is that I did not have much support and had to teach myself how to do my job.
Pros
mission, cause, community
Cons
training, work-life balance
Work Place Culture
Endpoint Administration Engineer (ACS IT Cures (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 2, 2018
Typical Day: Administrative duties, Monitoring systems, and supporting the Society to assure IT Components function. Work place culture is relaxed, employees are friendly and helpful.
Pros
Relaxed Work Environment
Cons
Less opportunity for Certification Training, Less opportunity of promotions or salary increases
Fun place to work for a good cause
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 18, 2019
Great place to work. Hard work. Calling donors and soliciting donations is really draining. I worked on the Cattle Baron's Ball and in the middle of winter it was hard to stay occupied.
Nice people, low pay
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHNovember 24, 2018
I liked working here because of the people and the mission. The pay was lousy. I was laid off due to budget cuts after five years.

Management was great. Felt supported here. We had fun activities. Great volunteers.

I really cared about the job.
Pros
The mission, coworkers
Cons
Pay
learning experience, help me grow as a professional
Development Program Manager (Former Employee) –  West Bridgewater, MADecember 4, 2018
The ACS is an amazing place to work. Great culture. training provided, focus on work life balance, mission driven.
Can be challenging is that you mist depend on volunteers to get your job done.

It is the work place where I grew the most and learned the most life skills.
Pros
training, friendships
Cons
can be long hours, have to depend of vols and economy
Never again
Donations & Income Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 14, 2018
I wish I hadn't wasted my life there. As soon as you get seniority and make too much they get rid of you. Stressful and traumatic place to work. You'd think people would be making donations to a cancer non-profit but nope. Never again will I work a call center and never again will I support this organization
Pros
Pay
Cons
Stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cancer Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight