American Civil Liberties Union Employee Reviews

4.5
Ratings breakdown
Great way to support advocacy locally
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 6, 2018
Volunteering at the ACLU is fun and rewarding. Tasks are delegated well and everyone puts in an equal amount of work in order to get jobs done. Very friendly workers as well.
Professional atmosphere. Staff are engaged by management to think critically, write clearly and be proficient.
Litigation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 19, 2018
The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio was a fantastic place to work. The state of the art building as well as co-workers who were helpful, non-judgmental and knowledgeable made going to work everyday an enjoyable experience.
Pros
The services provided to all regardless of income, race, gender, or issue of concern
Cons
Racial Diversity
Great Experience
Community Organizer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 11, 2018
This was the toughest job that most of the time is not recognized. A typical day can range from going to rallies/protests, or sitting in meetings discussing how one can advance and lift our most vulnerable communities.
Pros
Makes you feel like you are doing something for society.
Cons
You can loose yourself in this line of work and it becomes too much.
Amazing and empowering culture
Smart Justice Field Organizer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 9, 2018
Excellent CEO. Amazing culture. Friendly team. Great and exciting campaigns. Collegial environment. Leading the way with so many social justice movements in Kansas.
Productive and chellenging
Orange County Jails Project Intern (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAApril 19, 2018
Great learning experience, collaborative, and overall supportive staff. After interning there for a semester it is going to be difficult to transition out.
Fun and Friendly Environment, but a lot of work
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 17, 2018
We had a weekly quota to raise $700, which was really hard to meet. If you didn't make quota, then you would be on probation. Other than that, it was a really relaxed job.
Competitive and friendly
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 8, 2018
working at ACLU was an interesting experience with competitive working environment.
The staff of American Civic Liberty Union are very friendly and every body feel belonged.
Pros
free legal advice
Cons
lack of parking space
Best Job I've Ever Had
Communications Associate (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 23, 2018
The ACLU of Pennsylvania does amazing work on behalf of the people of the Commonwealth. My position in the communications department was the most satisfying work experience of my life and I couldn't recommend this organization enough.
Great
Event Crew (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2018
Great work environment. People were kind and respectful. Worked with my father so we got the job done and made sure everything was done as expected of us.
Driver and Translator
Arabic translator (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 5, 2018
As a driver and translator, a typical day consisted of providing members of the law team with support in navigating foreign regions and translating Arabic spoken by the locals to English for the lawyers.
Pros
Interaction and support of others
Cons
temporary position

Want to know more about American Civil Liberties Union?

Ask a question
Relax
Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 1, 2018
Great place for people who want to learn about advocate professionally . Also a great place to work in team environment. The staff are friendly and helpful.
Great environment
Admninistrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 1, 2018
Working at the ACLU was a good experience and management was always very helpful. I felt my skills were valued and I was an asset to the agency.

My coworkers were always willing to assist when I had questions and never treated me like the new girl.
Aclu
Policy Intern (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 27, 2018
I enjoyed my internship here at the ACLU. I learned a lot about the legal system and how certain rights need to be protected. It's a slower paced environment but extremely collaborative and team oriented.
Great Opportunity to help the community
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 14, 2018
I loved working for the ACLU as it gave me the chance to use my skills to help others. The ACLU advances from within and I found employment rewarding.
Aclu of ia
Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 5, 2018
Even though I was a communications intern, the management took into account that I was interested in law school. Becuase of this interest, they allowed me to research chronic nuisance ordinances.
A Very Nice Internship
Data Entry and Community Outreach Intern (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHJanuary 24, 2018
I am very pleased with this internship opportunity. My supervisor is very understanding and a pleasure to work with, and the workload is not only exciting and engaging but perfectly manageable on top of a 5-day full-time job. I enjoy working for the causes I care about and I would love to look into a paid position with ACLU-NH.
People devoted to the causes at hand.
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 10, 2018
An extremely busy, competitive, stressful organization that specializes in individual rights and liberties, and while they were hard working, it seemed always tense.
Pros
Focused and serious.
Cons
Seemed tense and stressful
cut-throat
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 5, 2018
no job security, dangerous areas to canvass. Was not exactly what was advertised on the job posting. People can be very rude and sometimes physically confrontational.
Great orgnaization to intern for
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 24, 2017
I highly recommend interning for the ACLU of Florida. The lawyers, community organizers and support staff I worked with were all passionate about protecting our rights.
Great place to volunteer
Lobby Day Captain (Current Employee) –  MissouriDecember 18, 2017
I loved volunteering here, the ACLU of Missouri are great people with a great cause.

I phonebanked, and am lobby captaining in their third annual Voices of Liberty Day in Jefferson Missouri