American Civil Liberties Union

American Civil Liberties Union Employee Reviews

American Civil Liberties Union insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility

Working with others focused on making a difference

Great environment to work as a team with others whose main goals are to effect change that touches the lives of the people they serve and their community.

Not for Interns

While I learned some things, it was limited to the research I did and could’ve done regardless of the internship. Generic grunt work for the most part; and you’re usually just doing research for the attorneys so it feels like they’re learning from you but you don’t get much from them in exchange.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Boring

Employees are highly dedicated. Management is often detached from actual work.

People in the organization are passionate about their work. As the size and wealth of the organization grew, management became more detached from their employees. Employees often felt unappreciated and at times even bullied. Frequent management changes meant staff worked extremely long hours and weekends with little appreciation. Long term employees felt they were expendable. At the end, it became a most unpleasant place to work.

Pros

Wonderful CEO; passionate employees.

Cons

Inexperienced and at times awful middle managment

Great internship experience!

I worked at the ACLU as an undergraduate Intern. Supervisors were super supportive, and I got to work on very important issues. Fellow interns were the best and perhaps one of the best parts of the internship. It feels really good to find peers who are as passionate about social justice as much as you are. There are also weekly brown bag events where you get to hear from issue experts (and away from your desk and free food!). And there is an intern program where you get money to have lunch with fellow interns and also coffee with ACLU staff whose careers you admire. Lunch and coffee can be had from anywhere.Lastly, great pay if you opt to receive a stipend. I was pleasantly surpised.

Pros

Free food; money for lunches with interns and coffee with staff.

fun workplace

You know it was very easy to work at the ACLU and feel like you were doing mattered, like you were part of something that mattered. It didn’t feel like I was just this cog in the machine.

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Hypocrites and most horrible place to work

I have never felt so alone and taken advantage of in my life. They say they are nonpartisan but that is a lie. If you don't share their viewpoints you are completely shunned. I am made to feel (on a daily basis) that I am incompetent and have no right to speak up. This may not be the case for the entire organization, but the NC affiliate is horrible. The senior management are hurtful, rude and disrespectful. I've learned that just because an organization advertises that they are inclusive and stand up for rights does not mean they are that way to employees. The hardest part of my job is being spoken to like I am 5 years old by superiors. There is no HR to go to and I feel trapped. I have no voice, well let me rephrase, I HAVE a voice but I am made to feel like I have no right to speak out. The board members are horrible and only care about the number.

Pros

Health Benefits are good-for now. PTO/Vacation/Sick Time are decent

Cons

Upper management is trash which makes "trash" flow downhill. I've never felt so alone

Total Expression

You can finally relax and be yourself at your workplace. At the national office of the ACLU, you'll be surrounded by like-minded colleagues who actually WANT to see you win. Each and every single one of the team working here understand that your win, is a win for the team, and a win for the team, is a win for every American fighting towards fairity and a level playing field for us all.

Pros

Smart, Fun and Meaninful Work Here

Cons

There literally were NONE. ZILCH. ZIP. ZERO.

An Ok place to gain some experience

Great for experience, but it is a nonprofit so a bit disorganized sometimes. Needs some work internally, especially with upper management. A lot of meeting makes it hard to complete work sometimes.

ACLU Summary

ACLU was a great place to work with friendly people. The position was one of purpose that armed us innovative ways to help others in need while fighting to challenge injustices.

Disappointing

I was excited about volunteering for the ACLU of GA, but soon found they treated their employees poorly, did not have clear project objectives and strategies, and tolerated a culture of poor behavior towards volunteers and did not effectively promote inclusive attitudes.

Pros

Big brand, build network and skills, new experiences

Cons

Treated volunteers and employees poorly, were not inclusive

I was looking to work there when I graduated

I was only a student lawyer there but they took me. I was able to learn all about the cases etc and How they do them. I was never Around much for benefits etc. I was in school in California but Would fly home that summer to work. There wasn't very many clients at the time so it was pretty quiet, at the time. Bthelawyerlawyers

I enjoyed working for the ACLU at all times

A wonderful place to work. An important organization that helps us protect our civil rights with offices in every state in the Nation. They have a progressive office here in San Diego.

ACLU is a place to learn about civil liberties and civil rights issues it's a great place to work

I learned about law created for immigrants that violated their rights and how immigrants face exclusion to become apart of their communities, I also learned about people civil liberties and civil right being violated and there are laws that can protect them but have not been enforced.

Pros

is learning what law protects us

Cons

and the cons is not knowning the laws that protects our civil liberties and civil rights

Fun Place to Intern

I loved interning at ACLU. I learned so much about how to advocate with people and how to create real change. The work enviornment is super fun as well.

good

I enjoyed my time and work that I do for the ACLU I liked the way if was seen and how i always feel welcomed its more of a family in a job that i love working for and the work I do.

Relaxed environment

Thought-provoking work. Had to handle extensive number of cases while meeting deadlines. Emphasis was placed on legal research. I learned a lot about the First Amendment.

Please, please, please do NOT come here!

I feel so bad for the people that show up here for an interview. they look so hopeful and I just want to say please run elsewhere. I ended up working 2-3 jobs but got paid for one and the funny part was my own job took up the least of my time. I tried speaking to the head of HR about a better pay or to at least take some of the load off of my plate and she looked at me and said "Unfortunately you are easily replaceable because I didn't hold a leadership position with in the ACLU"- which basically meant that they were able to dog me or replace me for someone else they could dog out. HR never did anything to help, managers continued to treat me as a pet. If you are a looking for a manager/ high position here, well then, I recommend you come on over because you can get away with anything here, but everyone else, save yourself the wasted time, headache and degradation. These people will treat you like cra*, yell at you and turn around and say good morning to you like it never happened. The funny part about all of this is, that the ACLU goes out to America and tries to legally fight and stand up for the little guy....but internally, behind closed doors - don't expect for them to do the same.