American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews

Chance of a lifetime!
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  MississippiNovember 12, 2018
This is 16 weeks of pure unadulterated character building. For anyone who's looking to prepare themselves for the future this is the job for you. A great chance to build your work ethic create new friendships and experience the maritime industry. It's definitely hard work but at the end of 16 weeks you look back and be so rewarded with what you learned. Nothing in life is easy especially not this job. However this job is rewarding fulfilling and fun. There's no doubt it's long hard day's of work. As well as time to experience the culture and different cities of America. Hospitality is huge in this role as we are customer-facing everyday. Typical days include docking and undocking the vessel. Mooring lines and sewing lines. General maintenance of the vessel as well as cleaning. Watch shifts which contain security rounds and Helm time. All in all it makes for an exciting day. I would challenge you if you're thinking about starting a career or just getting an experience to apply. At the end of the day and 16 weeks you will look back and and know that you've grown as a person and as a person in our Workforce. I'm
Pros
Saving money
Stressful, takes all your time, worth the money
Galley Steward, Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Washington StateOctober 19, 2018
If you can stand working all day with no time for personal life for 16 weeks, it is worth the money. I wouldn't recommend unless you can handle non-stop work and almost no downtime.
Pros
Free meals
November 8, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and dedication to American Cruise Lines. We are always seeking to improve the experience for both our employees and our guests, so your honest feedback is very helpful.

Would only work here if it was life or death
HOUSEKEEPER (Former Employee) –  MississippiOctober 17, 2018
if you have anything and i mean anything at home, don't leave. you are lucky to make 10k how they explain the pay is not what actually happens, crew quarters reek or sewage and there were roaches on my boat. there's drama and childish people that are excused with having a "big" personality. management is a mess. everyone has a break down. no one is happy here, this company does not care about their employees.
November 8, 2018

We understand the hours can be demanding and we appreciate how hard our entire team works. We are always looking for ways to improve ourselves, so we will take your feedback into consideration.

Nightmare on a ship
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  OregonOctober 7, 2018
Worst captain and mate for the first rotation, got a good mate the second round. I was called a lier to my face by the captain for putting an extra effort into my security round and taking only 10 minutes longer then normal to complete a round. No freedom once your shift is done. We were forced to go to our tiny rooms by 11pm and could not be out past then. All in all would never work here for the $100/day pay again.
Pros
Can figure out what you don’t want in a company
Cons
Will try to fire you before you get your bonus
October 8, 2018

We understand that the hours can be demanding and life on board the ship is not for everyone, which is why we try to be as transparent as possible during employee interviews and training. We are continuously seeking to improve the experience for both our employees and our guests, so your feedback is very helpful. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us.

Fast paced but exciting.
Steward Server (Former Employee) –  Guilford, ConnecticutOctober 4, 2018
There's always something to do, so despite the long hours the days go by fast. The hours are much longer than a typical shift, but hey, that's what you sign up for. The company as well as the Managers make it crystal clear what is expected of your from every moment of the day. That type of structure makes it easier to work those long hours and not stress about the work. When everybody understands their roles in a team clearly, performing jobs becomes incredibly cohesive. Work hard and you'll do well. Slack off and you won't have a good time. Your work ethic is up to you alone and that really shows in this job. And management understands that. So they are harder on you.
Pros
Good pay structure, Living and transportation expenses paid for, Traveling, Meeting new folks, Diversity, Very professional, Unique experience, Great place to build references, Away from home for long periods of time
Cons
Very long hours. Away from home for long periods of time. Being on water a lot.
October 8, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines, we thank you for taking the time to write us such a positive review. We are glad to hear that your responsibilities and expectations were clear from the start. We will share this internally, thank you!

October 8, 2018

Thank you for sharing such valuable feedback! We strive to provide all of our potential employees with transparency throughout the interview process in regards to the position requirements and what is expected.

Great company offering a unique and rewarding employment experience!
Server (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutOctober 4, 2018
This is a very exciting opportunity to work for an organized and successful company! Training is very thorough and informative, and the trainers are very helpful and intent on ensuring you are prepared for your job on the ship. You are paid for your time in training, and the company provides your airfare, hotel accommodations and food free of charge! It has been a great experience!
Pros
Very informative training, free travel and food
October 8, 2018

Thank you for leaving us such a great review. We are glad to hear that while at training you are gaining skills that will help you to be successful while on our ships.

Be prepared and willing to work all the time
Server (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTOctober 4, 2018
Training was long but it prepares you for what to expect. Managers are very kind and try to make it as fun as possible. Food is provided, 3 meals a day. Hotel and flight are also provided. You need to be willing to sacrifice 16 weeks of the year to work 7days a week with no days off. It’s long work but they prepare you and make sure you’re fully aware of what to expect
Pros
Food included, transportation included, stay included
Cons
Long days, really early mornings
October 8, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with our on-shore training program. As our company continues to grow, we are glad to hear that you are as well!

If you’re chosen, it’s a privilege!
Server (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 27, 2018
From start of application, through the interview, and on to training this experience has been amazing! The company provides transportation to training. Once you arrive, the training is given in thorough detail. I would recommend this company to my friends, and family.
Pros
Free: travel, meals, and you’re GETTING PAID to learn amazing things the culture has to offer.
Cons
Remain driven, determined, and keep that positive attitude you had during the interview process.
October 8, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback about your time training with us in Guilford, CT. We appreciate it and can't wait to see what the future has in store for you!

Productive and fun
Stewardship Intern (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 20, 2018
Overall I’m enjoying my time in training, and although it’s a lot of information I PROMISE it’s worth it, especially “if you’re not a person who can’t deal with line of fire situations.”
Your recruiters and managers will take care of you, total different atmosphere but everyone is outgoing and you will meet great friends, plus your resume will be pleasing to other jobs.
Pros
Free lunch, hotel and travel
Cons
Short breaks
September 24, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share such a valuable review. As our company grows, we are excited to hear our employees are as well!

Fast paced, but exciting place to train.
Steward (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 20, 2018
ACL if they are interested after your interviews, will pay for your transportation to get to the training center. Training for the steward position is fast paced and done over a short period of time, but easily understood if the effort is put forth into it. Everyone is more than capable and able to assist with any questions or issues that may show up. Initially you start training at a training facility, so before you are thrown into the rush of a full blown dinner, you are able to do mock service runs. You will work towards being able to be proficient in serving before going to the cruise boats, allowing you to have a peace of mind knowing what to expect instead of immediately being pressured. Also go over any safety protocols so you can be safe, while also securing the safety of any and all passengers on the ships.
Pros
Free food, free lodging, long breaks
Cons
Long work days
September 24, 2018

Thank you for leaving us a review. We really appreciate your hard work and commitment to our mission statement. As our company grows and advances, we are thrilled to hear our employees are as well during training!

Long Hours
Deckhand/Engine Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 19, 2018
My role as the Engine Room Attendant, was most of the time stressful. However, I enjoyed what I did so it made the job a little better. I wish that it was a full time position so that I could work in the future with them
Pros
free meals, free room and board, travel
Cons
long hours, not enough pay
September 24, 2018

We understand that the hours can be demanding, which is why we try and be as transparent as possible during employee interviews and training. We are continuously seeking to improve the experience for both our employees and our guests, so your feed back is very helpful.

Quick pace fun environment
Executive Housekeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 17, 2018
Great experience traveling and meeting many new people guest and crew alike. The hours are extremely long but the money is worth it. Would recommend to a friend.
September 24, 2018

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that during your time with us you have been pushed to reach your maximum potential. It is our goal to make sure that we offer all employees room for both personal and professional growth. We appreciate your comment.

Great place to work. Pays well
DINING STEWARD (Former Employee) –  New England IslandsSeptember 4, 2018
Long hours but great opportunity. Good starting experience and teaches you how to work well with others. Most enjoyable part of the day are breaks. Diverse workplace
September 14, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback. We are glad to hear that during your time you were given the experience to work within our shipboard team. Best of luck to you in the future!

A Crazy Place to Work
Operations (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 3, 2018
Working at ACL was very frustrating at times. It could have been a great place to work but upper management didnt seem to care about their workers. They looked upon them as disposable pieces that were always replaceable. Most employees at corp HQ were afraid stepping on toes and we all feared the wrath of owner and sons.

On the plus side it is an all american place of work since all the ships were built in the US and only american workers could be hired to staff the ships. Its hard work but adventurous if you dont mind that kind of work.
Pros
American made
Cons
Management by fear
September 14, 2018

Thank you for providing us feedback from your time with us at American Cruise Lines. When it comes to employee appreciation, we are always looking to improve ourselves. We will take your comments into consideration and share internally.

Deckhand Portland Oregon
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 25, 2018
If you want to work for this company be READY to be underpaid because as a deckhand you will have more on your plate than they will pay you. So be ready to hav all your mental , physical, spiritual and emotional to be test on the daily.
Pros
Some money
Cons
No Benifits, Lame crew nights, food bland, working overtime no pay
September 14, 2018

We appreciate your feedback about being a Deckhand on our shipboard team. We always strive to communicate effectively and be as transparent as possible with all of our employees. This feedback will be shared internally.

Once in a lifetime experience. Challenging, but very rewarding at the end.
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Connecticut Park, SCAugust 11, 2018
I just came back from a week of training at ACL and I can honestly say it was a fun and challenging experience. Right now I'm waiting on to be called for the next available ship. Details about this job is that its completely legit. I know when I told my family about this, they were super skeptical. But the company was very professional and flown me out twice to their office in Connecticut safely. Once I got there I met the other trainees. The trainers informed us on what to expect as a server on their cruise ship and from what I gathered it's not a easy job. The training was very eye opening and taught us what a normal day on the ship working would be like. We trained hands on and practiced for long hours everyday, it helped get me use to their system so I can be prepared for when I do go onboard. You'll learn what all you need too to succeed and grow with their company. Just make sure if you interested in applying to give your all and adapt quickly because if you don't past training, you will not get a call back for a position. We also learn how to properly make the beds and write chef tickets and practice until we were pros at it. Remember your not on vacation at training, it's to see if you can handle the work and be a great addition to the company. I say if your interested in travelling and making good money, but only if your into hotel service and serving guest, then you should give ACL a try.
Pros
Professional hands-on training, paid flights to and from training. Good pay
Cons
Don't have any yet
August 16, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your time spent with us. We are glad to hear that you are gaining skills and experience with us that will help you in your future!

Informative and Welcoming
Hotel Service Member (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTAugust 2, 2018
I’ve had a great time at ACL. The training was very informative and it built my confidence as a worker. The staff is extremely friendly and welcoming. I’m looking forward to continuing my time with ACL and learning all that I can.
Pros
Free food, good pay, fun environment
Cons
Short breaks, long hours
August 3, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience thus far. We wish you the best of luck during your time with us on board!

Definitely Fast paced but amazing experience!
Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTAugust 2, 2018
Training was very real and cut throat. No shortcuts but it was very rewarding and the staff was more than amazing. Your peers will become your fast friends and your teammate. I would definitely recommend to everyone.
August 3, 2018

Horrible management
Sales (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTAugust 1, 2018
Keep looking for another job if you are looking. Management and training program/training manager are just awful. Training manager talk to you like you are a child. Not a good company period. They are hiring all the time because people don't want to work there.
August 2, 2018

We appreciate your feedback. We always strive to communicate effectively and be as transparent as possible throughout training with all of our employees. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Overall this an amazing company
Server (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 26, 2018
I am currently a part time employee and my experience so far has been amazing. My managers have provided me with the resources that I need to be successful within this company and I feel confident that I will execute every task they assign me during these four months with American Cruise Lines. I would recommend this job to anyone. .
Pros
Travel Pay Hours
Cons
Temporary Parttine
August 2, 2018

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cruise Lines. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about