American Cruise Lines
68Average

American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews

United States385 reviews
I worked and I got paid.
This job requires you to work 12-15hours a day without a day off. If you like to work and have a strong work ethic this is the job for you. If you like money, this is a great way to save money, this is a job for you. If you want to meet awesome people, this is a job for you.
This job will test your strength and patience in communication and life skills. I learned a lot from my experience and made a lot memories with my coworkers. I am a better person because of this job. And i left with a large sum of money in my bank.
Don’t work here. Please look elsewhere!
Management is young, rude, bossy, untrained. The hours are long and if you don’t finish in time you don’t get the 1-2 hours they give you for free time. I had to work as a HOUSEKEEPER and Stewardess. Keep in mind, if you apply to be a stewardess you will ALSO be a housekeeper literally right from serving breakfast you have to go to cleaning 10-12 rooms within an hour! This is SLAVE work no matter how you put it I recommend working for a bigger cruise line company
Pros
Traveling and meeting new people.
Cons
Poor management, overworked, unfair treatment.
A typical day at work
A typical day at work can be 12 to 16 hours. It's long hours but the rewards and the knowledge that you can gain daily is worth it. You'll also get to travel multiple States in the United States of America.
You cruise to work everyday.
Great Company to be apart of
You get the opportunity to work with diverse occupationally skilled individuals. The opportunity to see and visit the amazing coastline and river ways of America by boat. We are a key factor in the guest exsperience and are treated like so. American Cruise lines 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾
Great job experience
Great experience to work with the company, got the chance to see other states as well. And learning about old history. I enjoy making guests happy with the customer service I provide.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Great culture and leadership
American Cruise Lines gave me the creative freedom to further hone my skills as a video producer. Being part of the marketing and creative team allowed me to simultaneously learn and teach new ideas and skills.
Awful. Just awful.
Absolute worst company I have ever worked for. The management is absolutely awful, especially the HR management. How could you possibly feel comfortable going to HR with any issues if they ARE the issue? There is absolutely NO communication in this place whatsoever. No one ever knows what is going on, management expects you to read their minds or something. Pay is crumby and expectations are far too unreasonable with little to no training. They do not care about their employees, they only care about the numbers they produce. I felt sick everyday going into work at this office. They will trick you into thinking there is an opportunity to grow, but they make it nearly impossible to do so. Don't waste your time with this place. You'll be unappreciated and feel miserable everyday. Maybe if the management started treating the people with some respect they would be able to keep good employees.
Pros
Location has a lot of good restaurants nearby
Cons
Everything else
This ain't it.
You'll meet great people, get to travel, and be treated like a 12 year child by supervisors that are younger then you with less experience then you. You'll probably last 1 1/2 months unless your really weird and fit in with the rest of them. You have to ask to use the bathroom to say the least... good luck have fun!
Good company to get your foot in the door
Best job I have ever had so many good and bad times but the people i met were outstanding. The managers and regionals are the shadiest people on the boat. They're young, 20-28 yo, dont know what they were doing, unprofessional, belittling overworked and rude. Despite this I enjoyed them too, also I was the only one on boat who knew what they were doing housekeeping related miss it
very interesting
sometimes good, sometimes bad. everyday seems to be the same, but not everyday is a like. you are always on duty or working and have limited time to be yourself
Great company if you just need money......
Typical all work with no formal training, no clear direction and they definitely have their favorites. Communication is the worst I have ever seen from any company, or last minute emails.
February 27, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate your feedback. Our shoreside training program is a comprehensive experience in which you are trained by our professional seasoned training team prior to working on our ships. If you would like to discuss this further please contact the home office.
Constantly moving and on your feet. It's really cool being in a new port nearly everyday.
Typically, for dining stewards, you work about a 10-16 hour day, depending on what position you are that week and the schedule of the day, so you are busy all day. You definitely learn a lot about teamwork and commitment and time management. I loved this so much and hope to return to the company again upon completing my degree.
Pros
Room and Board free, seeing new locations, meeting new people from all over the country (sometimes internationally too)
Cons
Not very many breaks, short afternoon break of about 1-2 hours to get off the ship and look around.
February 21, 2020
Thank you for your review and all of the work that you have given our company, we truly appreciate it here at the home office. We realize that shipboard life is not easy at first, but we are so glad to hear that you learned a lot with our company. Good luck on your degree!
Great opportunity for advancement
This company has been loyal to me from the beginning started as a server then went to being a deckhand 11 weeks later I be came an ERA an extension of managment. Two things I value in a company is loyalty and honesty this company had both.
Pros
Advancement, Meet new people, travel the country while working
Cons
Long hours, tight living quarters
February 21, 2020
Thank you for writing such a valuable review. As our company continues to grow we are thrilled to hear that you have grown within your career as well. We love promoting from within, keep up the hard work!
No overtime for deckhands, even at 84 hours a week.
You work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. No overtime pay. Hard, manual labor but you do get to travel. Room and board are provided, as well as travel to and from training which is nice.
February 21, 2020
Thank you for leaving us a review. We really appreciate your hard work and commitment to our mission statement.
Fun place to work and live
Worked a Five Month contract on a cruise ship as a dining steward. Take orders and serve food and beverages to passengers on board in the dining room. Check with customers to ensure that they are enjoying their meals and take action to correct any problems. Communicate with customers to resolve complaints or ensure satisfaction. Focus on safety for crew and passengers on board.
February 21, 2020
Congratulations on all that you accomplished during your time on board with us throughout your five months as a Server! We appreciate your hard work and wish you nothing but success in the future.
Communication is Key
Managers do a good job trying to make boat life as comfortable as possible for everyone. However, in the same breathe, they are not responsible for anyone's happiness. That being said, the days are busy and the nights feel short. It'll take about two weeks to get assimilated into the routine. Ask questions!
February 21, 2020
Thank you for leaving us a review! We appreciate all of your hard work and contributions to the American Cruise Line team.
Dont work here
You work 15 hours a day with no days off. NONE. Which I got used and any every else got used to but the company hides things and only do things that benefit themselves.
February 21, 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. On average our shipboard employees work 12 hours a day. We understand the hours can be demanding and we appreciate how hard our entire team works. If you would like to discuss further please email careers@americancruiselines.com
Beautiful Opportunity for a Great Experience
Working at American Cruise Lines brings an amazing opportunity to see different land & regions as well as connect with unique cultures & subcultures to different people. The work is trying as stated in the job description, but when systems are understood and adapted to, the work flows and the compensation shows its immense value.
February 21, 2020
American Cruise Lines starts as a means to an end but becomes the journey of a lifetime.
This company takes care of its own. Americans Cruise Lines is great for people starting in the maritime industry wanting to build a resumé and grow a career in hospitality. With tons of benefits, like working and traveling on a ship, it is easy to love your job without realizing.
February 21, 2020
Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that during your time with us you were able to grow both professionally and personally, as well as earn sea time.
Fantastic company to work for.
I enjoy working with different chefs from all over the world with different culinary experience. When we all come together and make the work easier and Finnish ontime it's amazing. The feeling is overwhelming when we get good feedback from the passingers.
February 21, 2020
We are happy to hear that while working with us you were able to not only provide our guests with an exceptional cruise cuisine experience, but also grow as a professional. Thank you for being a passionate and hardworking member of our team!
Worth trying
Pretty standard job to accomplish your goal you may have set for yourself , no experience required as they train you for everything but as far as it goes if you’ve never worked for a cruise company this would be a good company to start with
February 4, 2020
Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cruise Lines. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8