American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fantastic first job!
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTJuly 18, 2018
As a summer intern, I gained extensive knowledge in the marketing field from help of the entire marketing team. I learned more than I thought possible in the short time I was here and feel like I couldn't have gained these experiences anywhere else.
Management doesnt know whats happening onboard
Cruise Director (Former Employee) –  Columbia, WAJune 28, 2018
Spent two weeks at home with no one returning phone calls and emails before I found out they had fired me. Most employees are considering quitting or on the verge of being fired at all times.
July 2, 2018

We appreciate your feedback. We always strive to communicate effectively and be as transparent as possible with all of our employees. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

place
Hotel Service Member (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTJune 25, 2018
the work place was great to be around. good communication and time well spent with the employees, to get the work done required for the job at hand..
July 2, 2018

Good job if you are willing to make sacrifices
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississippi riverJune 14, 2018
I took this job because I wanted to explore the country. And, I did kind of get that. You do get to see some cool sites and meet people from all around the country. Just don't make the mistake I did and think you're going on adventures often. In training they tell you you will be working 12 hour days everyday. Well its more like 14 or 15 even some days. I was extremely discouraged at first because I was barely getting breaks. Servers don't get scheduled breaks except for meals. Which meals along with housing are free so its great for paying off debt. We get breaks when we finish all our side work. Don't worry though, it does get better as everyone learns the job. Work gets finished faster, and by the end I was getting 30 minute to 2 hour breaks. This was especially great when we were in New Orleans. You will get a chance to see some pretty cool places while you are here. So don't give up in your first week! But keep in mind I worked on both of the lower Mississippi boats. They are big boats. If you work on a smaller boat you'll probably get more free time. The work isn't hard but there's a lot of it. The best part of this job is the customers and the sights. The worst part is the coworkers because its a high stress place and some of these people have been here for almost the full 16 weeks. They will be impatient. If you make it that far, please be nice to the new people! I wouldn't go back (I'm using this experience to get to a better cruise line) but I'm glad I went because it is a unique experience most people will not know.
Pros
Free meals and housing, meet new people, see different parts of the US, easy work
Cons
Long hours, no scheduled breaks except for meals, stressful, coworkers can be rude
June 19, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your time working for us. We do take pride in catering toward each of our employees’ needs the best way we can. We will share your feedback with our team. Best of luck to you in the future!

Mentally Ill management
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 12, 2018
The upper management are very narcissistic. They do not support their employees when there are rude customers. The Upper level manager lady has borderline personality disorder. They try to have a good environment but fail miserably. Their proposed pay does not even come close to what can be made. for example they say 50 k to 100 k is what to expect, but that cannot be achieved. It's more like 30 k a year. So, they promote dishonest and deceit from the get go. A lot of infighting, gossiping and bickering amongst the employees. Not a good place to work.

Awesome Experience.
Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 24, 2018
I tell everyone about this job, because it really sets you up for life. Working on a cruise ship is rough, its a lot of hard work and a lot of people quit. The work load is crazy, but the experience is worth it. You meet all kinds of people and you test yourself with how much stuff you can really take. Being able to say I made it through the 12 weeks is a huge accomplishment.
Pros
Meet new people, the experience
Cons
Poor managment, no time off.
June 19, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience on board. We hope that the challenges that you encountered and the skills that you gained will take you far in your future. Your hard work and commitment during your 12 weeks certainly did not go unnoticed, thank you!

Non stop moving from 6am-9:30pm
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 24, 2018
A typical day at work includes you clocking in at 6 in the morning and not clocking out until 9:30 at night. While you get 3 meals a day, Dinner is served at around 4 pm. The shifts are 12-15 hours long. Occasionally there are breaks in the afternoons. Which wouldn't be so bad if you expected to do laundry in your time off and hardly have time to rest any throughout the day. Pay is 7.25 an hour. They claim you will be bring $10,000 by the end of the 4 months but the only reason that's true is because this company squeezes every last drop of energy from your body. On my first day my fitness watch recorded that I walked 8 miles and climbed 32 flights of stairs. The hardest part of the job is being absolutely exhausted constantly. I personally found nothing enjoyable about this job besides the views outside the windows (which I rarely seen).
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Tasteless food. Not enough sleep. No privacy. Hard labor for small pay.
June 11, 2018

We understand that the hours can be demanding and life on board the ship is not for everyone, which is why we try to be as transparent as possible during employee interviews and training. We are continuously seeking to improve the experience for both our employees and our guests, so your feedback is very helpful.

Don’t work for this company, unless you really need the money or desperate!!
Server (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 17, 2018
The worst cruise line I have ever worked for !! Long hours, you barely can get a break, if you do it’s because everybody wants to finally get off at a decent port. You can’t leave when you’re done with your particular job, you have to wait for everyone else.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, nasty food, embarkation is stupid af
June 11, 2018

We understand the hours can be demanding and we appreciate how hard our entire team works. We are always looking for ways to improve ourselves, so we will take your feedback into consideration.

Welcoming Work-Environment
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 3, 2018
I have been at American Cruise Lines for some time now and have had nothing but a great experience. All of my co-workers are very helpful, willing to listen to my suggestions and give me more responsibilities while answering any questions I may have. Also, being a recruiter allows me to interview and meet so many different people from across the country. I am excited to see what the future holds at ACL!
Pros
I have been given many opportunities here and I am excited to grow with this company!
Cons
American Cruise Lines is continuously growing, so space in the office has become somewhat limited
June 19, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share such a valuable review. As our company grows, we are excited to hear our employees are as well!

Exciting Place to Work!
Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 3, 2018
I cannot say enough about how supportive the different teams are here in Guilford, CT. There is a significant amount of time spent working with other teams such as sales, recruiting, operations, and more. You learn a lot about each co-worker in your first few weeks at the company, because you get so much exposure to the company as whole. Although some days can present different challenges, what you get out of this job is extremely rewarding. Every day I am learning something new to better myself within my role.
June 19, 2018

We are happy to hear that during your time with us you have been able to grow professionally and personally. You're feedback is appreciated, it will be shared with our team!

Great place for advancement
Mate (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 3, 2018
As a Mate this is a great place to work. Not only are you able to spend significant in the pilot house and gain valuable operations experience you will also be working on your management skills as you supervise the Deck Department.

As with any job there are challenges but once you are in the routine the job is a great experience while traveling the country.

Teamwork is an important aspect of being a Mate as you work directly with the Hotel Manager to ensure the ship is in great condition inside and out.

The company likes to promote from within so putting your best foot forward as a Mate will go a long way if you have aspirations to be a Captain.
Pros
No expenses while onboard, advancement opportunities, In port daily
Cons
Long work days sometimes
June 19, 2018

Thank you for leaving such a great review. We really appreciate your hard work and commitment to our mission statement. As our company grows and advances, we are thrilled to hear our employees are as well!

Great job with a good company!
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 3, 2018
American Cruise Lines has been a wonderful place to work in my early career. I have been able to grow immensely in my skillset and positon. Working within the marketing department has provided me with the oportunity to work with many other departments including sales, operations and recruiting. The atmosphere is a mix of relaxed and corporate and there are opportunities to have some fun admist the volume of work presented.
Pros
Good compensation/benefits, good work-life balance, semi-relaxed atmosphere
Cons
Office space feels too small for rapid growth in employees
June 19, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback about your time working with us. We do our best to make sure that the atmosphere in our office is fun and inviting for all of our employees.

A great time to join a growing company
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 3, 2018
I work in the corporate office in Guilford, CT within the marketing team. On a daily basis we are working in conjunction with every single department of this company. I am exposed to a variety of projects and challenges everyday. New ideas and unique approaches are encouraged. ACL is growing quickly and continuously. There is nothing like being a part of a company making such strides in it's industry.
Pros
Management recognizes and values your hard work
Cons
Lack of office space to keep up with a growing team, overall company culture could use a facelift
June 19, 2018

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that during your time with us you have been exposed to various projects that have allowed you to learn and be challenged daily. We appreciate your comment.

its a lot...
Housekeeping Steward (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 1, 2018
The job is great only because of the people you work with and the passengers. If you have bad coworkers and bad mangers and bad passengers you won't last a week. people have quit in less than two days from the constant work and stress. I would come back but only for the money but it is what it is. They also won't let me say bad words on this review so imagine a more colorful explanation.
Pros
free food and board
Cons
everything else
June 11, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and dedication to American Cruise Lines. We are always seeking to improve the experience for both our employees and our guests, so your honest feedback is very helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any additional information.

Treat employees like slaves
Lead Stewardess (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTApril 27, 2018
No breaks, taken advantage of, managers steal tips and petty cash. Little to no sleep. Feet will swell and ache, invest in appropriate foot wear. Company picks and choose who has to pay for their flight
June 11, 2018

We appreciate your feedback and that you for the work you did on board with us. We encourage all of our employees to communicate effectively with our management team so when problems of miscommunication arises, it can be resolved. We will take your comments into consideration.

If you are thinking about this job, please don't
Hotel and Dining Manager (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTApril 24, 2018
Ridiculous long hours as you are thrown into environment where management and crew have little to no training, but are expected to adhere to a very strict time management schedule that allows for barely anytime to breath over the course of the day. Job descriptions very conveniently do not mention turnaround days in regards to additional responsibilities and hours piled on top. For the amount of money they charge guests, a little extra staffing to allow for adequate breaks, and simply to get some normal sleep, to decompress would go a long way. The itineraries are nice and this line has a lot of potential if they cared even a little about employee retention, but it seems the bottom line for them is its easier to underpay and constantly "train" new employees then to put effort into actual training and employee retention with appropriate staffing levels.
Pros
crew are mostly good hard working people
Cons
company lack of caring about retention; long demanding hours; lack of adequate sleep
June 11, 2018

We appreciate that everyone on board our ships work long hours in a demanding environment. We are always looking to improve ourselves, especially when it comes to employee appreciation. If you have any other suggestions, please contact us.

Housekeeping/Dining
Hotel Service Member (Former Employee) –  MaineApril 19, 2018
It was work 15 hours a day, 7 days a week NO DAYS OFF! You stop working at 10p and have to get up at 4a. NO NAPS. Only time you get a nap is when you on P1 or P2 (housekeeping all day or dining all day). You will learn the schedule as you go along it's confusing at first. I still know how to set up the tables and its been 4 years. They are very strict about placing the silverware in front each chair. Management was great actually they all helped if needed. Hardest part was not having a social life. Most enjoyable days were when we had minimum time off the boat. One thing they leave out is that you may get paid (700-900) "weekly" but really get paid every two weeks. I wish you was allowed to pay for your own room living with females could get annoying especially after a long day.
Pros
Pay, saving money, meeting wealthy people that tell you about there intersting stories.
Cons
Pay info, sea sick, roommating with females
June 11, 2018

Thank you for your work with American Cruise lines. We appreciate your feedback as we are always looking to improve ourselves. We will take your suggestions into consideration.

American cruise line ri
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  RIApril 18, 2018
HORRIBLE!!! the cabins are packed like sardines. work day and night. boss was terrible. no tips. work and more work.
I was fired because I mentioned that on the new ship the cabins were very small/closet style for many women. When I questioned this and suggested that the authorities may not find it up to code. I was fired. Work, work, no tips, no appreciation. Slave work.
Pros
travel, meet fun people, free meals, and free small closet bunk
Cons
mean, cruel, FIRED me when I asked a question, no tips, worked like a slave
June 11, 2018

We understand that living and working on a ship is not for everyone. Rooming arrangements can vary by ship. We appreciate your feedback and will take your suggestions into consideration.

Poorly operated
Hotel & Restaurant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTApril 16, 2018
The lack of training for the staff is the main issue. The hours are 17 plus a day with poor living quarters. The staff is young and away from home and the managers are ruthless
Pros
Travel
Cons
everything else
June 11, 2018

We always strive to be as transparent as possible, especially at training and regret is there was any miscommunication. We work hard to have everyone fully trained before they go on board and in front of guests. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Don't work here and do yourself a favor.
Stewardess (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 15, 2018
Terrible management
You will be tired and crabby
SO MANY RULES

You are up at 6 every day, no days off, hardly any breaks.
They are not rewarding AT ALL.
You are not paid fairly.
DO NOT WORK FOR THEM.

If you are interested in working for a cruise line look into Alaskan Cruise Lines.
June 11, 2018

We understand that the hours can be demanding. We work hard to have everyone fully trained before they go on board so everyone is prepared for the transition. We appreciate your feedback.