American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews

Productive and fun
Stewardship Intern (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 20, 2018
Overall I’m enjoying my time in training, and although it’s a lot of information I PROMISE it’s worth it, especially “if you’re not a person who can’t deal with line of fire situations.”
Your recruiters and managers will take care of you, total different atmosphere but everyone is outgoing and you will meet great friends, plus your resume will be pleasing to other jobs.
Pros
Free lunch, hotel and travel
Cons
Short breaks
Fast paced, but exciting place to train.
Steward (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 20, 2018
ACL if they are interested after your interviews, will pay for your transportation to get to the training center. Training for the steward position is fast paced and done over a short period of time, but easily understood if the effort is put forth into it. Everyone is more than capable and able to assist with any questions or issues that may show up. Initially you start training at a training facility, so before you are thrown into the rush of a full blown dinner, you are able to do mock service runs. You will work towards being able to be proficient in serving before going to the cruise boats, allowing you to have a peace of mind knowing what to expect instead of immediately being pressured. Also go over any safety protocols so you can be safe, while also securing the safety of any and all passengers on the ships.
Pros
Free food, free lodging, long breaks
Cons
Long work days
Quick pace fun environment
Executive Housekeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 17, 2018
Great experience traveling and meeting many new people guest and crew alike. The hours are extremely long but the money is worth it. Would recommend to a friend.
Great place to work. Pays well
DINING STEWARD (Former Employee) –  New England IslandsSeptember 4, 2018
Long hours but great opportunity. Good starting experience and teaches you how to work well with others. Most enjoyable part of the day are breaks. Diverse workplace
September 14, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback. We are glad to hear that during your time you were given the experience to work within our shipboard team. Best of luck to you in the future!

A Crazy Place to Work
Operations (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 3, 2018
Working at ACL was very frustrating at times. It could have been a great place to work but upper management didnt seem to care about their workers. They looked upon them as disposable pieces that were always replaceable. Most employees at corp HQ were afraid stepping on toes and we all feared the wrath of owner and sons.

On the plus side it is an all american place of work since all the ships were built in the US and only american workers could be hired to staff the ships. Its hard work but adventurous if you dont mind that kind of work.
Pros
American made
Cons
Management by fear
September 14, 2018

Thank you for providing us feedback from your time with us at American Cruise Lines. When it comes to employee appreciation, we are always looking to improve ourselves. We will take your comments into consideration and share internally.

Deckhand Portland Oregon
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 25, 2018
If you want to work for this company be READY to be underpaid because as a deckhand you will have more on your plate than they will pay you. So be ready to hav all your mental , physical, spiritual and emotional to be test on the daily.
Pros
Some money
Cons
No Benifits, Lame crew nights, food bland, working overtime no pay
September 14, 2018

We appreciate your feedback about being a Deckhand on our shipboard team. We always strive to communicate effectively and be as transparent as possible with all of our employees. This feedback will be shared internally.

Once in a lifetime experience. Challenging, but very rewarding at the end.
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Connecticut Park, SCAugust 11, 2018
I just came back from a week of training at ACL and I can honestly say it was a fun and challenging experience. Right now I'm waiting on to be called for the next available ship. Details about this job is that its completely legit. I know when I told my family about this, they were super skeptical. But the company was very professional and flown me out twice to their office in Connecticut safely. Once I got there I met the other trainees. The trainers informed us on what to expect as a server on their cruise ship and from what I gathered it's not a easy job. The training was very eye opening and taught us what a normal day on the ship working would be like. We trained hands on and practiced for long hours everyday, it helped get me use to their system so I can be prepared for when I do go onboard. You'll learn what all you need too to succeed and grow with their company. Just make sure if you interested in applying to give your all and adapt quickly because if you don't past training, you will not get a call back for a position. We also learn how to properly make the beds and write chef tickets and practice until we were pros at it. Remember your not on vacation at training, it's to see if you can handle the work and be a great addition to the company. I say if your interested in travelling and making good money, but only if your into hotel service and serving guest, then you should give ACL a try.
Pros
Professional hands-on training, paid flights to and from training. Good pay
Cons
Don't have any yet
August 16, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your time spent with us. We are glad to hear that you are gaining skills and experience with us that will help you in your future!

Informative and Welcoming
Hotel Service Member (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTAugust 2, 2018
I’ve had a great time at ACL. The training was very informative and it built my confidence as a worker. The staff is extremely friendly and welcoming. I’m looking forward to continuing my time with ACL and learning all that I can.
Pros
Free food, good pay, fun environment
Cons
Short breaks, long hours
August 3, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience thus far. We wish you the best of luck during your time with us on board!

Definitely Fast paced but amazing experience!
Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTAugust 2, 2018
Training was very real and cut throat. No shortcuts but it was very rewarding and the staff was more than amazing. Your peers will become your fast friends and your teammate. I would definitely recommend to everyone.
August 3, 2018

Thank you for leaving us a review. We really appreciate your hard work and commitment to our mission statement. As our company grows and advances, we are thrilled to hear our employees are as well during training!

Horrible management
Sales (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTAugust 1, 2018
Keep looking for another job if you are looking. Management and training program/training manager are just awful. Training manager talk to you like you are a child. Not a good company period. They are hiring all the time because people don't want to work there.
August 2, 2018

We appreciate your feedback. We always strive to communicate effectively and be as transparent as possible throughout training with all of our employees. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Overall this an amazing company
Server (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 26, 2018
I am currently a part time employee and my experience so far has been amazing. My managers have provided me with the resources that I need to be successful within this company and I feel confident that I will execute every task they assign me during these four months with American Cruise Lines. I would recommend this job to anyone. .
Pros
Travel Pay Hours
Cons
Temporary Parttine
August 2, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share such a valuable review. As our company grows, we are excited to hear our employees are as well!

Productive and fun workplace!
Dining Room Server (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTJuly 26, 2018
Work hard, play hard! A very fun, friendly and easy going environment. Working together as a team makes the job even smoother and easier. Well organized organization with great management.
Pros
Free food, paid training and travel
August 2, 2018

We are happy to hear that during your time with us you have been able to grow professionally and personally. You're feedback is appreciated, it will be shared with our team!

It's Ship Life! Know what you're getting into.
Restaurant steward (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 23, 2018
I'm going to start this review with something anyone who is interested in this line of work should know: YOU ARE NOT ON VACATION. Sure you will probably see beautiful sights but you join the company to work not just chill out and watch the mountains go by. Another thing you are probably thinking about is something a bit darker. No it isn't human trafficking. I thought it might be as well(heck I was ready to fight in case something sketchy happened) but I'm back home safe and sound.

This is a lot of work. Not HARD work mind you but you are going to be constantly busy from 5:30AM(6 most days) to 9:30PM(give or take 45 minutes). You will have fairly reasonable breaks throughout the day(30 min lunch/30 min dinner/an hour or 3 here and there) but overall you will be working long hours. If you are comfortable following a list throughout the day then you'll be fine. The list makes the day go by fast anyway.

There are three meals that all Restaurant Stewart's take a part in. You are assigned 2 tables and you DON'T flip them. Each table holds 6 people though if it's a larger ship a couple can hold 8. This means the total amount max you will be serving a day is 36 people. I'm honestly still blown away by that cause im used to serving 250+ a day.

Overall it is long work but easy income. You get a taste of travel, meet some interesting characters, and get the strange bragging rights of being able to tell your friends you worked on a cruise ship and watch their jaws drop.

If you work very hard, are professional, and are passionate about being dedicated to the job go ahead and
  more... sign up.  less
Pros
Free Food, Easy way to save cash, Wanderlust cure
Cons
All depends on who you work with, No gym on board, occasional bad apple
July 26, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us and others who are applying with honest feedback about your time working for us. We work hard to foster an environment that allows our employees to be challenged and grow daily. We appreciate the work that you did while on board. Best of luck to you in the future!

Fantastic first job!
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTJuly 18, 2018
As a summer intern, I gained extensive knowledge in the marketing field from help of the entire marketing team. I learned more than I thought possible in the short time I was here and feel like I couldn't have gained these experiences anywhere else.
July 26, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback. We are glad to hear that you are gaining skills and experience with us that will help you in your future. Best of luck to you back at school!

Very Productive Workplace
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTJuly 5, 2018
This job will keep you on your toes and thinking. It has room for growth, regarding your work ethic and personal growth. The employees and management make sure to push you and ensure that you can always do more, which is a great thing.
Pros
Pay, Food, Making the Passengers day
Cons
Long hrs but definetly not HARD labor.
July 17, 2018

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that during your time with us you have been pushed to reach your maximum potential. It is our goal to make sure that we offer all employees room for both personal and professional growth. We appreciate your comment.

Management doesnt know whats happening onboard
Cruise Director (Former Employee) –  Columbia, WAJune 28, 2018
Spent two weeks at home with no one returning phone calls and emails before I found out they had fired me. Most employees are considering quitting or on the verge of being fired at all times.
July 2, 2018

We appreciate your feedback. We always strive to communicate effectively and be as transparent as possible with all of our employees. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

place
Hotel Service Member (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTJune 25, 2018
the work place was great to be around. good communication and time well spent with the employees, to get the work done required for the job at hand..
July 2, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback about your time working with us.

Good job if you are willing to make sacrifices
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississippi riverJune 14, 2018
I took this job because I wanted to explore the country. And, I did kind of get that. You do get to see some cool sites and meet people from all around the country. Just don't make the mistake I did and think you're going on adventures often. In training they tell you you will be working 12 hour days everyday. Well its more like 14 or 15 even some days. I was extremely discouraged at first because I was barely getting breaks. Servers don't get scheduled breaks except for meals. Which meals along with housing are free so its great for paying off debt. We get breaks when we finish all our side work. Don't worry though, it does get better as everyone learns the job. Work gets finished faster, and by the end I was getting 30 minute to 2 hour breaks. This was especially great when we were in New Orleans. You will get a chance to see some pretty cool places while you are here. So don't give up in your first week! But keep in mind I worked on both of the lower Mississippi boats. They are big boats. If you work on a smaller boat you'll probably get more free time. The work isn't hard but there's a lot of it. The best part of this job is the customers and the sights. The worst part is the coworkers because its a high stress place and some of these people have been here for almost the full 16 weeks. They will be impatient. If you make it that far, please be nice to the new people! I wouldn't go back (I'm using this experience to get to a better cruise line) but I'm glad I went because it is a unique experience most people will not know.
Pros
Free meals and housing, meet new people, see different parts of the US, easy work
Cons
Long hours, no scheduled breaks except for meals, stressful, coworkers can be rude
June 19, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your time working for us. We do take pride in catering toward each of our employees’ needs the best way we can. We will share your feedback with our team. Best of luck to you in the future!

Mentally Ill management
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 12, 2018
The upper management are very narcissistic. They do not support their employees when there are rude customers. The Upper level manager lady has borderline personality disorder. They try to have a good environment but fail miserably. Their proposed pay does not even come close to what can be made. for example they say 50 k to 100 k is what to expect, but that cannot be achieved. It's more like 30 k a year. So, they promote dishonest and deceit from the get go. A lot of infighting, gossiping and bickering amongst the employees. Not a good place to work.

Awesome Experience.
Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 24, 2018
I tell everyone about this job, because it really sets you up for life. Working on a cruise ship is rough, its a lot of hard work and a lot of people quit. The work load is crazy, but the experience is worth it. You meet all kinds of people and you test yourself with how much stuff you can really take. Being able to say I made it through the 12 weeks is a huge accomplishment.
Pros
Meet new people, the experience
Cons
Poor managment, no time off.
June 19, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience on board. We hope that the challenges that you encountered and the skills that you gained will take you far in your future. Your hard work and commitment during your 12 weeks certainly did not go unnoticed, thank you!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cruise Lines. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about