American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews

Deckhands should look elsewhere
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 11, 2019
This review is hard to write considering I actually did enjoy what I did. The problem was what came with it. Deckhands work the most while getting paid the least. They are constantly being abused by management that by the end of the 16 weeks, you are just physically, mentally, and emotionally drained.

Deckhands responsibilities are so much more than just deckhand responsibilities and it does get to the point where it just isn't work your time. Don't get me wrong. I like the company and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the company but I do believe if you are applying, I would avoid applying as a deckhand. You do get sea time which is great to further your career in the maritime industry, but if you are looking to do that, there are a lot better companies to do that with that will treat you fairly and compensate you properly. If you do apply for this company, I would apply for housekeeping or as a steward.

The only way I would recommend you apply as a deckhand is if you absolutely need the sea time. Any other time, apply for something else such as a housekeeper, keep your stress down and make twice as much as Deckhands.
Pros
Free lunch. A great company to work for despite my review for one position. Travel the United States
Cons
The deckhand position is severely lacking in terms of compensation and worth
You're just a body to corporate
Cruise Director (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJanuary 10, 2019
6-8 week assignments.

7 days a week.

12-14 hour work days. (15-16 on passenger turnover days)

You're assigned a ridiculous amount of responsibility on a daily basis. This is tough but manageable to do for some. The problem really starts when the boat is told(not asked) to do more on short notice and when you try to stress how stretched thin you are to corporate, you're more or less told to deal with it. Passenger turnover on saturdays are a nightmare as they are the busiest time of the week and also when shore support is at its weakest.

It sometimes seems as though the company goes out of their way to make crew more uncomfortable. Not many can handle the lifestyle as is, and when offered simple solutions to make the day to day procedures easier for the crew, it's put down almost instantly.
Pros
You'll never have to pay for your own meals and will more than likely never be hungry., The travel is really cool.
Cons
Not near enough time to explore your destinations as anyone would like., Corporate could benefit greatly if it began to care about their employees.
Overall, good
shipboard (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 31, 2018
Work culture: excellent on board
Most enjoyable part of the job: working alongside great people. If I ever needed assistance, there was someone who was there to help me succeed.
An experience of a lifetime.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 18, 2018
I worked on The Queen Of The West this year as a housekeeper from May until September. It's seasonal employment. Only 4 months and you can never work there again. I felt a little undervalued by the company. They hire you as a temporary hire, so they don't have to offer any insurance or benefits. I felt the pay incentive was actually very motivating to stay with the company, and I will note that the pay is better than any other American Cruise Company. It was stressful, and it's 7 days a week, 13 hours a day. They have a curfew of 11:00 so don't expect to have any life off the ship. That said, it was a beautiful experience. Don't be freaked out by the old reviews. I think it was from a different Era of the company. I almost let it convince me not to come. I told myself if I finished my 16 weeks, I would leave my own honest review. I was able to make 16,000,after taxes in my 16 weeks there. Working about 90 hours a week. I would do it again in a heartbeat. But because the company doesn't particularly value you for your contributions to the guests experience, you can't work there more than once. I always wondered why, especially when so many don't make it, you wouldnt value the people who have shown they do great work and WANT to be there, and can handle the stress of "ship life". I had a great housekeeping manager, so that definitely made a difference. My calculation I made was that 10% of us on QOW made it the entire 16 weeks. But the money, the experience, the sights, the seeing different cities every day, and the bonding with coworkers made it entirely worth it. I would go  more... back if they would have me. Thanks ACL for a summer I'll never forget! And the money!
After showing me what cruise life is like, I enlisted with Norwegian Cruise Lines to work in Hawaii on their ship! But if ACL had recurring employment, I'd still be with them.
Pros
Ability to save, Turnaround Pay (Financial Incentive), Free Food
Cons
No work/life balance, feeling of being unvalued (disposable)
Challenging workplace
Dining Steward/ Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  MississippiDecember 18, 2018
If you’re looking to save money, growth, travel and meeting new people this is a perfect fit. I finished my 16 week contract strong. It was a challenge but it was a great challenge! Like every other job there is cons. Just mind your business and remind yourself what are you here for! I ended up saving 11K, grew up, met a lot great people and visit new places.
Pros
Free food, rent free
Experience of a lifetime
Steward (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 13, 2018
Firstly, read the job requirements. You're going to be working at least ten hours a day, sometimes 14, for seven days a week, for at least 12 weeks. It's continuous and you barely have time to yourself. It's hard work, and it's definitely not for everyone. Pay is great, given most of the pay is from overtime. You can easily bring home 3.5k each month before tax. You don't have to pay for "rent" or food, so you can really save a lot. Although, you will get the munchies and want to eat out every once in a while. You get at least hour breaks everyday, even up to three hours depending on how much your team wants to get out and how the passengers are like for that week. It takes about two weeks to get accustomed to everything, so don't be stressed if you don't get it in a week. I'll be honest, I thought a lot about quitting the first two weeks, but I didn't and I don't regret it. Turnaround is hectic, and usually everyone is drained that day. Honestly, your experience will heavily depend on your crew and management. Luckily I was on the Pride, which had such a strong team and great management. Made my experience such a blast. A once in a lifetime experience. You make friends and memories that can never be forgotten. I graduated college, couldn't find an entry-level job, needed quick money, and that is why I applied. You definitely learn a lot about the hospitality industry and get experience.
Pros
Free housing, free food, great pay, see new places, meet new people
Cons
11PM curfew, away from family, sometimes have time differences
Hard work every single day
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  MississippiDecember 11, 2018
I was a housekeeper so we had it slightly easier than the other workers. When I say that, i just mean that we usually got our scheduled breaks everyday which lasted 2 hours. If you were a server or a dishwasher, you worked extremely long hours with minimum breaks. The job isn't really hard, it's just the long hours and the fact that we dont have any days off which makes the whole thing almost unbearable at times. If you luck up with great managers like I did, it can make everything a little easier. Your coworkers become like family and we made it fun at times. You do have time to get off at the different ports either on your break or at night when you've completed your shift. You just have to be back before the 11pm curfew. Overall if you can deal with waking up early everyday, having roommates, sleeping in tight quarters, and working long hours, then I say do it. It's not the hardest job I've had and I would go back again if they would let me.

Heads up: your feet are going to hurt so bad the first 2 weeks. A lot of blisters and swollen ankles. I swear it gets better!
Pros
Lots of overtime, free food, saving money
Cons
Long work hours, no days off, lots of deep cleaning, no healthy food
Horrible
Hospitality internship (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 10, 2018
slave work, barley any breaks. worked 15 hour days every day for 12 weeks. everyone got on each others nerves, no space in quarters, no free time. happy to travel, hated the bs
American Cruise Lines
Galley Steward (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 4, 2018
Good Job. You can make the money you want to make but you have to be willing to work. If you're lazy or have never had a job, this is not the industry for you.
Pros
Work hard, little play, good pay
Steward (Former Employee) –  Queen of the MississippiDecember 2, 2018
I was a dining steward for the Queen of the Mississippi and completed my 16 week contract with no days off and with recognition as employee spotlight for the month of August. I’d recommend this job to anybody with an open acceptance for physical and mental challenge. It’s not for everyone- everyday you wake up to do the same thing for 4 months straight with little rotation in the schedule but it builds good habits you can apply to your daily living or for a job in the hospitality field if you choose to do so. There will be times of question, frustration, self doubt, fatigue, extreme exhaustion, feet pains; and then the few memorable, fun, comedic moments in between that tends to leave small streaks of positivity that helps you get through the day. Word of advice for any newbies who dare accept, hold onto those moments- they’re the ones that get you through along with the friendships you make with the people you work with.
I was often asked how I survived this challenge without breaking; Easy, my motivation was the $$$, and then hoping daily for a successful operation.
It was a lot of constant and repetitive tasks daily that soon became expected and easier to achieve. The job wasn’t hard, it was just a lot to do within certain time frames. My managers were great in their own ways and of course flawed as well- but they tried their best. The disrespect from the stewards sometimes got out of hand but all you can do is your part and not be so easily angered by the different managing methods. Anyways, great learning experience, great way to save/build $$$, and best of luck for
  more... anyone who hops on board!  less
Pros
Free meals, different port stops, friends
Cons
Curfew, short breaks
December 13, 2018

We love our Employee Spotlights! It gives us the opportunity to showcase our talented and hard working employees. It is great to hear that the competitive pay kept you motivated. Your detailed feedback will be shared with our management team.

Very high paced. Stressful, everyone was welcoming.
Housekeeping/Laundry (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutDecember 1, 2018
Everything was fast paced but the team you worked with made it worth it you became part of a family and made some amazing friends for life. It is stressful but push through it and it makes all the difference. Money isnt a worry while qorking with acl.
Pros
Free ice cream and meals and board, friends for life
Cons
Long days, barely any sleep, quick pace, very repetitive
December 13, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear that you have been able to become a part of the ACL family and that you enjoyed the ice cream!

Shore leave was the only good part
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  ICWNovember 30, 2018
Told I would make over 100/day didn't break 80 the entire contract. Captains changes so constantly with different ways of running ship and the first group of crew were miscreants not able to get work anywhere else.
December 17, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and the work you have completed onboard. We always strive for transparency and regret if there was any miscommunication. All shipboard employees sign a compensation form prior to employment describing the pay. If you feel you have been paid incorrectly, please contact our home office.

Fast pace environment
Steward (Former Employee) –  MaineNovember 30, 2018
My overall experience with American Cruise line was stressful, but worth it in a way in my opinion. Yes, it’s “different” from the norm, but I say...if you can survive the full 16 or maybe even 12 you are a complete SOLIDER ! I did all 16 consecutively and although it was the most stressful thing I’ve done in my life every tear and sweat that I sheaded was worth the experience. I was nominated star performer and it felt great to have my hard work acknowledged. I left with a healthy bank account ;) so it’s all up to you and your work ethics.
Pros
Free full course meals, travel, friends, experience
Cons
Short breaks, seasick, small tips (sometimes)
December 13, 2018

Congratulations on being selected as a Star Performer this season! We select Star Performers based off of our supervisors recommendations and guests' comments. Also, by completing your 16 weeks with us, you deserve the title of a solider!

Be effective with your time and with your staff ........
Asst. Hotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTNovember 30, 2018
I would say this is defiantly a job for someone single with no kids or a family. You will work hard and longs days but its up to you to manager your time wisely be efficient and effective.
Pros
Great Pay, Bonuses are great
Cons
Long days especially turn around days
December 13, 2018

Thank you for your honest review, especially in regards to the pay and the benefits. It is great to hear that working with American Cruise Lines was the right fit for you and your lifestyle. Your feedback is appreciated and will be shared with our team.

Phenomenal place to work!
Sous Chef / Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  MississippiNovember 28, 2018
Wonderful crew and staff. Very relaxed, but fast-paced atmosphere. Plenty of opportunity to learn from well-skilled chefs. I would highly recommend working for this company.
Pros
great enviroment
December 13, 2018

Thank you for providing our guests with delicious locally inspired cuisine. The culinary aspect of our passengers is vitally important. As our company continues to grow, we are glad to hear that you are as well while you work alongside our seasoned chefs!

american cruise lines
Galley Steward (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutNovember 17, 2018
They give an honest assessment about the job during your interview the job is rather physically demanding and the hours are long .80 to 100 hour work weeks are not uncommon. There are no days off, work starts at 5:30 am until 9:30 pm. You are fed breakfast lunch and dinner and given an hour break. The pay rate is minimum wage.People leaving due to injury or rash and skin infections are not uncommon. Room inspections are done every other day and are kept to a certain standard. If you are looking for a quick way to save up a few thousand dollars without standard living cost it is a good opportunity but the job just like they employees are expendable.
Pros
You can save up money quick
Cons
considerable Lack of consideration for employees
December 13, 2018

We recognize that the hours can be demanding and life on board the ship is not for everyone, which is why we try to be as clear as possible during both employee interviews and training. We are constantly seeking to improve the experience for our employees while they are on our ships. As we gear up for the 2019 season, we will share these comments internally.

alright
Cruise Line (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2018
this job was very stressfull the managment treated everyone not so well but the pay was great. The long hours werent so great but overall it wasnt so bad.
December 13, 2018

Thank you for leaving us a review and for all of your hard work and contributions to the American Cruise Lines' team!

Chance of a lifetime!
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  MississippiNovember 12, 2018
This is 16 weeks of pure unadulterated character building. For anyone who's looking to prepare themselves for the future this is the job for you. A great chance to build your work ethic create new friendships and experience the maritime industry. It's definitely hard work but at the end of 16 weeks you look back and be so rewarded with what you learned. Nothing in life is easy especially not this job. However this job is rewarding fulfilling and fun. There's no doubt it's long hard day's of work. As well as time to experience the culture and different cities of America. Hospitality is huge in this role as we are customer-facing everyday. Typical days include docking and undocking the vessel. Mooring lines and sewing lines. General maintenance of the vessel as well as cleaning. Watch shifts which contain security rounds and Helm time. All in all it makes for an exciting day. I would challenge you if you're thinking about starting a career or just getting an experience to apply. At the end of the day and 16 weeks you will look back and and know that you've grown as a person and as a person in our Workforce. I'm
Pros
Saving money
December 13, 2018

You're right! The Deckhand position offers you training, growth, and character building as well as the opportunity to network with licensed Captains and Mates. It is also a chance to gain experience within the maritime industry. Keep up the great work!

Stressful, takes all your time, worth the money
Galley Steward, Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Washington StateOctober 19, 2018
If you can stand working all day with no time for personal life for 16 weeks, it is worth the money. I wouldn't recommend unless you can handle non-stop work and almost no downtime.
Pros
Free meals
November 8, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and dedication to American Cruise Lines. We are always seeking to improve the experience for both our employees and our guests, so your honest feedback is very helpful.

Would only work here if it was life or death
HOUSEKEEPER (Former Employee) –  MississippiOctober 17, 2018
if you have anything and i mean anything at home, don't leave. you are lucky to make 10k how they explain the pay is not what actually happens, crew quarters reek or sewage and there were roaches on my boat. there's drama and childish people that are excused with having a "big" personality. management is a mess. everyone has a break down. no one is happy here, this company does not care about their employees.
November 8, 2018

We understand the hours can be demanding and we appreciate how hard our entire team works. We are always looking for ways to improve ourselves, so we will take your feedback into consideration.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cruise Lines. Our community is ready to answer.