American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews

American cruise line ri
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  RIApril 18, 2018
HORRIBLE!!! the cabins are packed like sardines. work day and night. boss was terrible. no tips. work and more work.
I was fired because I mentioned that on the new ship the cabins were very small/closet style for many women. When I questioned this and suggested that the authorities may not find it up to code. I was fired. Work, work, no tips, no appreciation. Slave work.
Pros
travel, meet fun people, free meals, and free small closet bunk
Cons
mean, cruel, FIRED me when I asked a question, no tips, worked like a slave
Poorly operated
Hotel & Restaurant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTApril 16, 2018
The lack of training for the staff is the main issue. The hours are 17 plus a day with poor living quarters. The staff is young and away from home and the managers are ruthless
Pros
Travel
Cons
everything else
Don't work here and do yourself a favor.
Stewardess (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 15, 2018
Terrible management
You will be tired and crabby
SO MANY RULES

You are up at 6 every day, no days off, hardly any breaks.
They are not rewarding AT ALL.
You are not paid fairly.
DO NOT WORK FOR THEM.

If you are interested in working for a cruise line look into Alaskan Cruise Lines.
They are not honest about what you are paid
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 5, 2018
The commission is a lie and set up to fool you. you'll get $12 per hour base pay. They have a very few people who make a huge amount and then everyone else making very little which messes with the average.
Cons
pay is a lie
difficult but love it to build experience
Gally Assistant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 30, 2018
I feel that it was hard but a good experience, I would love to try new things in the company. It is dedication and hard work but well worth it financially. Thank you
Very poor management!
Hotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 29, 2018
No effort into crew retention. Simply burn them out and there will always be another sicker who's unaware of just what they're getting into by applying.
Safety culture is nonexistent. Corporate management at this highest level is incompetent, yes you know who you are!!!
Pros
Lots of openings due to turnover. Pay is actually ok.
Cons
Everything else, too many things to mention!
Difficult work but rewarding
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Raceland, KYMarch 2, 2018
Long hours of the day, lots of physical work for the deckhands, as expected. Deckhands have the most physical job but are the most underpaid. We did emergency response and security as well as mooring operations. Even though the work was difficult, the friendships I made onboard and the opportunities to travel and see the country while saving money, made it worth the struggles.
Pros
Free room and board, travel, paid travel for training, meet people from around the country
Cons
Low wages, long hours
hard work, good pay
Stewardess (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutFebruary 27, 2018
American Cruise Lines is a very fast paced job and can become stressful but it is a greta way to be able to see the United States while saving up money for your future.
Long hours, few benefits
Hotel Service Member aboard (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTFebruary 7, 2018
You're only a number to this company. They could care less about your well being as a person, but as long as you're working your 16 hours every day, thats all that matters to them.
Pros
Free food and room
Cons
Long hours, Corporate doesn't care about you, you'll be expected to do everything and anything with any kind of compensation
American Cruise Lines
Galley Steward (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 2, 2018
Faced paced fun environment. Got to see the country from living on a boat and getting paid. Great job and experience for life on the sea. Fun crew makes a wonderful time
Confidence builder
Cruise Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTJanuary 27, 2018
This job helped me to become much more confident in my abilities to sell a product I believed in. I enjoyed the customers, the management, and my coworkers. If I had anything negative to say it would be that there was always a bit of stress related to making my quota.
Pros
Commission incentives/bonuses
Cons
Short lunch hours. Quota high expecation
Managers work 15 hrs per day, 7 days per week
Assistant Hotel Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 18, 2018
Don't believe what the recruiters tell you.
You will work all day long every day with few breaks and you will still be treated like you're not doing enough.
There is no teamwork mentality.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
company culture of disrespect and bad mouthing
you'll have to be strong minded to work with American Cruise Lines
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 17, 2018
You work everyday for a total of 16 weeks 12 hour days. You can meet a lot of different people around the world and also you can network. I was in Portland, Or very beautiful. you'll definitely need to be strong minded to work there, long days but honestly I became in great shape.
Fun workplace
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 17, 2018
Great Company to work for. Its hard work so if you are not up for it than don't waste your time and importantly company's time.Loved working for ACL. Its hard work but fun at the same time.Drew Godfrey is Phenomenal and great boss
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
Short Break
Productive, stressful, fun
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 15, 2018
So whats a day on american cruise ship?? A day on the boat is like a day of working hard then getting to go out and explore wherever you ported... The day was always busy and you were always around the guest and talking and being really active... I would highly recommend this job to a lot of people and I would work this job my life.
Pros
free breakfast/lunch/dinner, stayed on the boat, tips, lifetime friends
Cons
short breaks
Great Job
Server (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTJanuary 14, 2018
I worked here for only 2 weeks. I learned everything about the position I held. You would be set in a cruise ship for 4 months and you would do the same thing every day. Sever food and clean dining areas.
Pros
Free food and room
Cons
It takes 4 months of your life away
Tough work but very rewarding.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTJanuary 11, 2018
You have to be all in or the job will break you and make you want to quit. Great way to see new locations while working. The guest is what really makes the job they are all so nice.
Fun Place to work but does take adjusting to the lifestyle
Dining steward (Former Employee) –  Oregon and WashingtonJanuary 11, 2018
This was a really fun job, very fast paced. It is a hard job, it was the hardest job I've ever had. It takes time to adjust to the boat life, it took me about 2-3 weeks to fall in love with the job. you work about 90-100 hours a week but with a good group of people and good managers, it is enjoyable despite of the long hours. You wake up on the water to a beautiful sunrise every morning but you have very limited living space and privacy but you don't spend much time in your room other than sleeping. I worked with an amazing crew so it was very fun. Free room and board and meals, free travel, great money, and very little expense.
Pros
Free meals, free room and board, travel, money, People you work with
Cons
long hours, hard work, no work-life balance, small living space
Lots of work, Interesting experience
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 28, 2017
As a deckhand, they don't hide the fact that you will be working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 4 months straight that's just part of the deal. But you do get to see some awesome parts of the country depending on what boat you are placed on. If you finish the 4 month contract they do have a nice ending bonus and some travel compensation.
Pros
See the country
Cons
Long hours, no days off
Cruise Ship Job- Just what you Expect
Pastry Chef (Current Employee) –  EverywhereDecember 26, 2017
You work long hours, and barely get sleep but you get to travel. Some of the guests are a little racist because they are from older times, but you get some really good guests who make up for the other nagging guests.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cruise Lines. Our community is ready to answer.