American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews for Deckhand

Shore leave was the only good part
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  ICWNovember 30, 2018
Told I would make over 100/day didn't break 80 the entire contract. Captains changes so constantly with different ways of running ship and the first group of crew were miscreants not able to get work anywhere else.
December 17, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and the work you have completed onboard. We always strive for transparency and regret if there was any miscommunication. All shipboard employees sign a compensation form prior to employment describing the pay. If you feel you have been paid incorrectly, please contact our home office.

Nightmare on a ship
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  OregonOctober 7, 2018
Worst captain and mate for the first rotation, got a good mate the second round. I was called a lier to my face by the captain for putting an extra effort into my security round and taking only 10 minutes longer then normal to complete a round. No freedom once your shift is done. We were forced to go to our tiny rooms by 11pm and could not be out past then. All in all would never work here for the $100/day pay again.
Pros
Can figure out what you don’t want in a company
Cons
Will try to fire you before you get your bonus
October 8, 2018

We understand that the hours can be demanding and life on board the ship is not for everyone, which is why we try to be as transparent as possible during employee interviews and training. We are continuously seeking to improve the experience for both our employees and our guests, so your feedback is very helpful. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us.

Deckhand Portland Oregon
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 25, 2018
If you want to work for this company be READY to be underpaid because as a deckhand you will have more on your plate than they will pay you. So be ready to hav all your mental , physical, spiritual and emotional to be test on the daily.
Pros
Some money
Cons
No Benifits, Lame crew nights, food bland, working overtime no pay
September 14, 2018

We appreciate your feedback about being a Deckhand on our shipboard team. We always strive to communicate effectively and be as transparent as possible with all of our employees. This feedback will be shared internally.

Difficult work but rewarding
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Raceland, KYMarch 2, 2018
Long hours of the day, lots of physical work for the deckhands, as expected. Deckhands have the most physical job but are the most underpaid. We did emergency response and security as well as mooring operations. Even though the work was difficult, the friendships I made onboard and the opportunities to travel and see the country while saving money, made it worth the struggles.
Pros
Free room and board, travel, paid travel for training, meet people from around the country
Cons
Low wages, long hours
you'll have to be strong minded to work with American Cruise Lines
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 17, 2018
You work everyday for a total of 16 weeks 12 hour days. You can meet a lot of different people around the world and also you can network. I was in Portland, Or very beautiful. you'll definitely need to be strong minded to work there, long days but honestly I became in great shape.
Lots of work, Interesting experience
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 28, 2017
As a deckhand, they don't hide the fact that you will be working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 4 months straight that's just part of the deal. But you do get to see some awesome parts of the country depending on what boat you are placed on. If you finish the 4 month contract they do have a nice ending bonus and some travel compensation.
Pros
See the country
Cons
Long hours, no days off
Female Deckhand: Queen of the Mississippi
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 26, 2017
I was a deckhand on the Queen of the Mississippi this last summer and honestly wouldn't trade the experience for anything. The job is what you make of it, but the travel and friends you make are so worth it. I came in with a lot of experience on boats so I didn't find the workload all that shocking, but some deckhands were not used to the physical labor the job demands. If you can work hard and still be a people pleaser, this is the job for you. My captain was phenomenal which definitely improved the experience for me, and since I was the only female deckhand I had a room to myself for most of the summer. The shifts are long and some of the hours suck but you always end up with time to go out in port and explore. Highly recommend working as a deckhand for ACL!
Pros
Free travel, learn a lot, making friends, saving money
Cons
Low pay per hour, no days off
Long days and difficult work
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTOctober 14, 2017
Great Captains and Mates when working the Mississippi boats. Terrible home office. Was forced to learn fast with shortage in deck crew. As a deckhand you will work a minimum of 12 hours a day, duties include: Mooring Operations, assisting hotel operations w/ hotel stocking and laundry duties, as well as providing security and emergency response onboard. Most enjoyable part of "boat life" was the ability to get off the boat and enjoy our stops on time off. In a span of 8 weeks, I visited 10 different states aboard the Queen of the Mississippi cruising the Ohio, Tennessee, Cumberland, and Upper Mississippi Rivers.
Pros
Free crew lunches, free travel, exposure to cultures from around the country
Cons
No benefits, as job is temporary. Must stay close to boat even when off-duty, due to ability to respond to emergencies.
Great Pay
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CT 06437October 1, 2017
This company was wonderful place to work. I was able to make a lot of money as well as travel and see many new places along the inter-coastal waterway.
Fun workspace
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 13, 2017
American Cruise was honestly one of my best jobs .. it was very family oriented & working there was just a fun experience working on the river .. it was amazing experience
Pros
Great way to save, You get to travel for Free
Cons
Way from home for extended period of time
Traveling Experience
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 8, 2017
Working for Acl was a challenge. It required 12 hr work days with no days off. We traveled from diffrent cities on the daily. I've seen some of the most beatuiful waterfalls and mountain tops in the state of Oregon
It was good
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 30, 2017
Fun and easy wor. Traveling around was a treat. I had a great time while working. I would recommend it to anybody who wants to travel the rivers of the US.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Pay was not the best for deckhands
Deckhand
Deckhand seasonal (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTJuly 14, 2017
I can honestly say I loved this job. Backhand hours very but it is fun working on these shops. You meet new people your job isn't stressful. Room and board, food cable and etc is paid for.
Cruise ship
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 30, 2017
A lot of work works 84 hours in a week. Stood for long periods of time, did laundry, took care of passengers, drove ship with captain did maintenance work.
Nice
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 17, 2017
Great place to work. 7 days a week work schedule. 12 hr shifts a day. If you can get over the hours of work this can be a great way to save up some cash.
Depends on your perspective...
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTMarch 22, 2017
I had the pleasure of being a deckhand on The American Glory. The crew makes or breaks your time at sea. Very demanding and responsible work but you will you gain valuable life experiences. Keep an open mind, listen to your crew and be thankful a company is allowing you to work at sea. You will work majority of the time so just control what you can and be mindful about your gratuities/pay. This company is a solid stepping stool if you are looking for a career in the Maritime Industry. If you can complete a contract with ACL you will be credible in the industry moving forward; I promise you that. I've shook hands with guests who have open doors for me in other jobs. The captains and management are well beyond knowledgeable and provide the keys to success.
Pros
Views, Relationships, and Sea Time
Cons
Rushed us during meals
Fun work, relaxed and great relations
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Washington StateDecember 19, 2016
If you have a good crew, you will have a great job. If your crew sucks than your job will suck. Really the right coworkers is key. The mate is going to be a pain but if you have great deckhands to support you than that won't matter. Happy sailing!
Pros
Free living, opportunity to learn, make new friends, time flies
Cons
cramped living courts
Significantly lacking standard operating procedure
Deckhand/Bosun (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTJuly 31, 2016
There are major security aspects that have NO established guidelines yet corporate management still holds employees accountable for creating their own and if you don't get every detail correct you will be fired without due process. Work and travel schedule is subject to abrupt change without notice. Original work commitment included a significant completion bonus which was not paid in my case and when asking about it, was totally ignored. Don't bother getting agreements in writing because that will be ignored as well.
Pros
Meet very nice guests while aboard
Cons
Held responsible for not having standard operating procedures or instruction
Cool hospitality experience and travel
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTApril 21, 2016
I've been a deckhand and had a great time travelling on the east coast. Living and working on the ship is fun, but being away form home can be a lot. As a deckhand we work odd hours, but the work is pretty fun and its a lot fo being outside. The rest of the crew was awesome and we would go out together in each port. Customers change every week and they are always a really nice group of older people. We would spend a lot of time making things easier for them. I learned a lot more about being in hotels than I expected, since I came in as a deckhand, but it was still good. You have to be ready to work long hours, but the experience and the people make it worth it.
Pros
No living expenses at all, travel to new ports
Cons
Rooms are small and shared, you have to buy your uniform
Worst job I've ever had
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 16, 2016
If you think working for this company is a good idea, just keep looking for another job.

TERRIBLE PAY for starters. since it's on international waters, they can get away with paying their workers less than minimum wage, also the way you get paid is not by the company but by "urging" the customers to tip the workers out around 20% of what their stay costs. even with that pay, you are lucky to make 600 in a week

you are OVER WORKED. in a weeks time you work about 84 - 90 hrs with no breaks and no overtime pay.

the LIVING CONDITIONS on the ship are terrible. roaches, mice, everything is leaking, the worst part of it all is where you sleep. since there are mass amounts of people coming and going from the ship the ship has scabies...yes SCABIES. the crazy mutated parasitic bed bug that only people in prisons get. i got scabies from sleeping on that ship.

the MANAGEMENT IS TERRIBLE & UNPROFESSIONAL . the first mate literally tried to fight me over a miscommunication over the radio.

if you get sick or injured ( and you will) they will not pay for your airfare, hotel, bus pass, doctors bills. they will drop you off at the next port and leave you there with no way to get home. It happened to me.
Pros
travel
Cons
Everything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cruise Lines. Our community is ready to answer.

American Cruise Lines Reviews by Location