American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews for Deckhand

Great experience
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTFebruary 11, 2019
I really enjoyed my time at American Cruise Lines. It was something new to do every day and I was able to learn many new skills. I steered the ship a lot and just everything about it was interesting to me. Of course the hours are long but when you are working with friends it is fun. The passengers were my favorite part about the job. They are older people so you can learn a lot when conversing with them. I would recommend because it was a great experience. I am not saying that some days you won't regret it but when you finish and you are looking back at your tie there you will be glad you gave it a try. Also you get to save up a good amount of money.
Pros
Travel, Meeting people, Friendly staff
Cons
Long Hours
Hard work Great scenery
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Mississippi river and Snake and Columbian riversFebruary 11, 2019
Deckhand be prepared to work very hard. You will be always be doing something. Great experience to be on the helm. Good place to learn how to work. Very good people I worked with on 2 different boats. Professional and courteous. I highly recommend American Cruise Lines.
Pros
See the country. Driving on the rivers.
Cons
Hard work
Deckhands should look elsewhere
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 11, 2019
This review is hard to write considering I actually did enjoy what I did. The problem was what came with it. Deckhands work the most while getting paid the least. They are constantly being abused by management that by the end of the 16 weeks, you are just physically, mentally, and emotionally drained.

Deckhands responsibilities are so much more than just deckhand responsibilities and it does get to the point where it just isn't work your time. Don't get me wrong. I like the company and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the company but I do believe if you are applying, I would avoid applying as a deckhand. You do get sea time which is great to further your career in the maritime industry, but if you are looking to do that, there are a lot better companies to do that with that will treat you fairly and compensate you properly. If you do apply for this company, I would apply for housekeeping or as a steward.

The only way I would recommend you apply as a deckhand is if you absolutely need the sea time. Any other time, apply for something else such as a housekeeper, keep your stress down and make twice as much as Deckhands.
Pros
Free lunch. A great company to work for despite my review for one position. Travel the United States
Cons
The deckhand position is severely lacking in terms of compensation and worth
February 11, 2019

Thank you for your feedback and the work you have completed onboard. The Deckhand position can be challenging yet rewarding and it is a great opportunity to build sea time. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please contact our home office.

Shore leave was the only good part
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  ICWNovember 30, 2018
Told I would make over 100/day didn't break 80 the entire contract. Captains changes so constantly with different ways of running ship and the first group of crew were miscreants not able to get work anywhere else.
December 17, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and the work you have completed onboard. We always strive for transparency and regret if there was any miscommunication. All shipboard employees sign a compensation form prior to employment describing the pay. If you feel you have been paid incorrectly, please contact our home office.

Chance of a lifetime!
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  MississippiNovember 12, 2018
This is 16 weeks of pure unadulterated character building. For anyone who's looking to prepare themselves for the future this is the job for you. A great chance to build your work ethic create new friendships and experience the maritime industry. It's definitely hard work but at the end of 16 weeks you look back and be so rewarded with what you learned. Nothing in life is easy especially not this job. However this job is rewarding fulfilling and fun. There's no doubt it's long hard day's of work. As well as time to experience the culture and different cities of America. Hospitality is huge in this role as we are customer-facing everyday. Typical days include docking and undocking the vessel. Mooring lines and sewing lines. General maintenance of the vessel as well as cleaning. Watch shifts which contain security rounds and Helm time. All in all it makes for an exciting day. I would challenge you if you're thinking about starting a career or just getting an experience to apply. At the end of the day and 16 weeks you will look back and and know that you've grown as a person and as a person in our Workforce. I'm
Pros
Saving money
December 13, 2018

You're right! The Deckhand position offers you training, growth, and character building as well as the opportunity to network with licensed Captains and Mates. It is also a chance to gain experience within the maritime industry. Keep up the great work!

Nightmare on a ship
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  OregonOctober 7, 2018
Worst captain and mate for the first rotation, got a good mate the second round. I was called a lier to my face by the captain for putting an extra effort into my security round and taking only 10 minutes longer then normal to complete a round. No freedom once your shift is done. We were forced to go to our tiny rooms by 11pm and could not be out past then. All in all would never work here for the $100/day pay again.
Pros
Can figure out what you don’t want in a company
Cons
Will try to fire you before you get your bonus
October 8, 2018

We understand that the hours can be demanding and life on board the ship is not for everyone, which is why we try to be as transparent as possible during employee interviews and training. We are continuously seeking to improve the experience for both our employees and our guests, so your feedback is very helpful. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us.

productive and fun
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CT 06437September 16, 2018
Working aboard the vessel was a real learning experience. very family oriented environment with the captain and the rest of the crewmembers. Typical work day was great.
Deckhand Portland Oregon
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 25, 2018
If you want to work for this company be READY to be underpaid because as a deckhand you will have more on your plate than they will pay you. So be ready to hav all your mental , physical, spiritual and emotional to be test on the daily.
Pros
Some money
Cons
No Benifits, Lame crew nights, food bland, working overtime no pay
September 14, 2018

We appreciate your feedback about being a Deckhand on our shipboard team. We always strive to communicate effectively and be as transparent as possible with all of our employees. This feedback will be shared internally.

On a boat, Deckhand
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 24, 2018
Though this summer job was short, it was extremely influential in my life. I did many different types of jobs I never thought I would be able to do on my own. Even though I was the only female deckhand, I did just as much work as all the guys. Keeping up with maintenance of the ship as well as the hotel.
Pros
lived where I worked
Cons
By far one of the most fun places I have worked!
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  CTMay 20, 2018
Imagine waking up every morning to a beautiful sunrise, right on the water. The sea breeze blowing, the smell of the salty sea. Imagine waking up to this every day. Working where you live, delicious meals provided for you, desserts that made you melt in your chair, and a view that continuously took your breath away. That's what it's like to work with this company. the only downside is that it's a temporary position and the will not hire you back, no matter how good you are.
Pros
free room+board as well as meals
Cons
Temporary position
Difficult work but rewarding
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Raceland, KYMarch 2, 2018
Long hours of the day, lots of physical work for the deckhands, as expected. Deckhands have the most physical job but are the most underpaid. We did emergency response and security as well as mooring operations. Even though the work was difficult, the friendships I made onboard and the opportunities to travel and see the country while saving money, made it worth the struggles.
Pros
Free room and board, travel, paid travel for training, meet people from around the country
Cons
Low wages, long hours
Female Deckhand
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTFebruary 7, 2018
Working for American cruise line was a wonderful experience especially coming into the work force with no deck experience at all they give you the opportunity to learn something new and in this company it's so easy to succeed and move up the mates/captians are always trying to help and direct you to success
Pros
Given opportunity if not experienced, People are always willing to help and direct, Time schedules and travel, room for advancement
Cons
deckhands are least paid..but always room to advance so it a good also
you'll have to be strong minded to work with American Cruise Lines
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 17, 2018
You work everyday for a total of 16 weeks 12 hour days. You can meet a lot of different people around the world and also you can network. I was in Portland, Or very beautiful. you'll definitely need to be strong minded to work there, long days but honestly I became in great shape.
Lots of work, Interesting experience
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 28, 2017
As a deckhand, they don't hide the fact that you will be working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 4 months straight that's just part of the deal. But you do get to see some awesome parts of the country depending on what boat you are placed on. If you finish the 4 month contract they do have a nice ending bonus and some travel compensation.
Pros
See the country
Cons
Long hours, no days off
Female Deckhand: Queen of the Mississippi
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 26, 2017
I was a deckhand on the Queen of the Mississippi this last summer and honestly wouldn't trade the experience for anything. The job is what you make of it, but the travel and friends you make are so worth it. I came in with a lot of experience on boats so I didn't find the workload all that shocking, but some deckhands were not used to the physical labor the job demands. If you can work hard and still be a people pleaser, this is the job for you. My captain was phenomenal which definitely improved the experience for me, and since I was the only female deckhand I had a room to myself for most of the summer. The shifts are long and some of the hours suck but you always end up with time to go out in port and explore. Highly recommend working as a deckhand for ACL!
Pros
Free travel, learn a lot, making friends, saving money
Cons
Low pay per hour, no days off
Long days and difficult work
Deckhand (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTOctober 14, 2017
Great Captains and Mates when working the Mississippi boats. Terrible home office. Was forced to learn fast with shortage in deck crew. As a deckhand you will work a minimum of 12 hours a day, duties include: Mooring Operations, assisting hotel operations w/ hotel stocking and laundry duties, as well as providing security and emergency response onboard. Most enjoyable part of "boat life" was the ability to get off the boat and enjoy our stops on time off. In a span of 8 weeks, I visited 10 different states aboard the Queen of the Mississippi cruising the Ohio, Tennessee, Cumberland, and Upper Mississippi Rivers.
Pros
Free crew lunches, free travel, exposure to cultures from around the country
Cons
No benefits, as job is temporary. Must stay close to boat even when off-duty, due to ability to respond to emergencies.
Great Pay
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CT 06437October 1, 2017
This company was wonderful place to work. I was able to make a lot of money as well as travel and see many new places along the inter-coastal waterway.
Fun workspace
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LASeptember 13, 2017
American Cruise was honestly one of my best jobs .. it was very family oriented & working there was just a fun experience working on the river .. it was amazing experience
Pros
Great way to save, You get to travel for Free
Cons
Way from home for extended period of time
Traveling Experience
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 8, 2017
Working for Acl was a challenge. It required 12 hr work days with no days off. We traveled from diffrent cities on the daily. I've seen some of the most beatuiful waterfalls and mountain tops in the state of Oregon
It was good
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 30, 2017
Fun and easy wor. Traveling around was a treat. I had a great time while working. I would recommend it to anybody who wants to travel the rivers of the US.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Pay was not the best for deckhands

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cruise Lines. Our community is ready to answer.

American Cruise Lines Reviews by Location