American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews for Hotel Manager

If you are thinking about this job, please don't
Hotel and Dining Manager (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTApril 24, 2018
Ridiculous long hours as you are thrown into environment where management and crew have little to no training, but are expected to adhere to a very strict time management schedule that allows for barely anytime to breath over the course of the day. Job descriptions very conveniently do not mention turnaround days in regards to additional responsibilities and hours piled on top. For the amount of money they charge guests, a little extra staffing to allow for adequate breaks, and simply to get some normal sleep, to decompress would go a long way. The itineraries are nice and this line has a lot of potential if they cared even a little about employee retention, but it seems the bottom line for them is its easier to underpay and constantly "train" new employees then to put effort into actual training and employee retention with appropriate staffing levels.
Pros
crew are mostly good hard working people
Cons
company lack of caring about retention; long demanding hours; lack of adequate sleep
Official response from American Cruise Lines
June 11, 2018

We appreciate that everyone on board our ships work long hours in a demanding environment. We are always looking to improve ourselves, especially when it comes to employee appreciation. If you have any other suggestions, please contact us.

Poorly operated
Hotel & Restaurant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTApril 16, 2018
The lack of training for the staff is the main issue. The hours are 17 plus a day with poor living quarters. The staff is young and away from home and the managers are ruthless
Pros
Travel
Cons
everything else
Official response from American Cruise Lines
June 11, 2018

We always strive to be as transparent as possible, especially at training and regret is there was any miscommunication. We work hard to have everyone fully trained before they go on board and in front of guests. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Very poor management!
Hotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 29, 2018
No effort into crew retention. Simply burn them out and there will always be another sicker who's unaware of just what they're getting into by applying.
Safety culture is nonexistent. Corporate management at this highest level is incompetent, yes you know who you are!!!
Pros
Lots of openings due to turnover. Pay is actually ok.
Cons
Everything else, too many things to mention!
Great Way to Save Money
Hotel General Manager (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTDecember 7, 2017
Something I think that this company does poorly is remember that their employees are humans and not robots. On many occasions I felt like I was being treated like a machine rather than a human. We are asked to do a lot- with little support or resources. We are time and time again felt like we are set up for failure and continuously we are given the blame when something goes wrong. I saw it time and time again where new managers would come aboard expecting the fast pace, hotel lifestyle but something they don't realize is there is zero work/life balance. Your life becomes your work and work becomes life.. Theres no time for anything otherwise and you are "on stage" 100% of the time. It becomes increasingly difficult to keep yourself together when you lose yourself in the work.. which I'm not sure that those who are not onboard understand.

If you want to work your butt off, save some money and have the chance to sail around the US- then give it a try. But remember- you're working 12+ hours a day.. this isn't a chance to see what the ports have to offer and this isn't a vacation for you. Our guests have a very high expectation of what we have to offer them (which is completely understandable) so you will spend the majority of your time living up to that expectation.
Good way to get your foot in the small ship cruising world- that's it.
Hotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 25, 2017
Long hours and hard work are not the issue. Poor compensation, horrible support from home office, it's obvious from your first day that you are just an easily replaceable body. Promises to guests un-attainable. Always short-handed from crew being fired for breaking policy or walking off the boat at any port. If you're looking to get into cruising and no other company will hire you- only work here are a last resort.
Great way to work and travel
Hotel General Manager (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTNovember 30, 2016
The job is very demanding with little time off but it is a great pay off. You get to see new and exciting places while working in the hospitality industry to bring exceptional guest service to passengers.
Fun job...until the Home Office gets involved
Hotel Manager (Current Employee) –  Various Locations Country-wideAugust 4, 2013
The job is great. The company has great concepts and business models and ideas. The problem is that the Home Office forgets that they are not the global headquarters of a major international enterprise; the company operates six small (150 passengers or fewer) cruise ships. They get bogged down with small technical hiccups and lose sight of the fact that their greatest asset is their people, and that we are not not Kleenex.

The hours are brutal, and some of the restrictions ridiculous. A typical day for a manager is a 6:00am to 10:00pm day, with only a one to two hour break.
Pros
Low cost of living due to being on ship for 2 months at a time.
Cons
LONG hours, short breaks, lots of BS from the top.
Fun to travel long days
Hotel Manager (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTDecember 26, 2012
Small ship cruising done perfectly. All american crew. Passengers enjoy interacting with the crew. Your day starts at 6 am and ends at 9pm long days. You learn about other states you get to visit. Management and coworkers are seasonal. Your hardest part of the job is having balance between your life and work.