American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews for Housekeeper

Very Cool Experience
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTJanuary 21, 2019
They fly you out to Guildford, CT for a week to train. Lots of reading and practice runs for servers. Then, if you are seen fit to work for the company, they'll send you an email asking you if you want to work on a specific boat. If you answer yes, you'll be flown out within a day to a week to your boat. A car may or may not be provided to the boat from the airport, you may need to get an Uber or taxi, but they will compensate you for it. I got a car with someone else going to the ship. I was chosen for the Queen of the West, Oregon to Washington snake trail. I spent four months on the boat. I was originally a server but switched to housekeeper because I got an easier workload as a housekeeper. I worked 80 hours a week, no days off. I didn't get much sleep and my body, head to toe, was completely sore all the time. Everyone will tell you that after two weeks, your feet will become completely numb and you won't be in pain anymore. Living quarters are very tight! On our boat, girls had 3 to a room, and guys had 1-5 to a room. We had a fun time though! For an hour, you can go outside and explore. Kalama was the most boring for us, I mostly took naps or went to Walmart. When the boat goes through a lock, we might have Crew Night and get to play games! We did that as small groups some nights but it was fun with managers and kitchen crew, too.

You can meet life long friends, I know I did. You won't forget this experience. It is TOUGH work, real tough!! You can do it!
And if you want a forever career, do your best and they'll offer you a manager position, its not as hard as you
  more... think. Be outstanding! Two people from my boat alone received manager positions.
If you want to travel and get experience, go for it! It's a great experience.
Pros
pay
Cons
workload
February 11, 2019

We are happy to hear you were able to meet the greatest people in the entire world! Congratulations on completing your 16-weeks with us, we are very proud of the work that you gave on a daily basis to make sure all of our guests’ needs were addressed with precision and care.

An experience of a lifetime.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 18, 2018
I worked on The Queen Of The West this year as a housekeeper from May until September. It's seasonal employment. Only 4 months and you can never work there again. I felt a little undervalued by the company. They hire you as a temporary hire, so they don't have to offer any insurance or benefits. I felt the pay incentive was actually very motivating to stay with the company, and I will note that the pay is better than any other American Cruise Company. It was stressful, and it's 7 days a week, 13 hours a day. They have a curfew of 11:00 so don't expect to have any life off the ship. That said, it was a beautiful experience. Don't be freaked out by the old reviews. I think it was from a different Era of the company. I almost let it convince me not to come. I told myself if I finished my 16 weeks, I would leave my own honest review. I was able to make 16,000,after taxes in my 16 weeks there. Working about 90 hours a week. I would do it again in a heartbeat. But because the company doesn't particularly value you for your contributions to the guests experience, you can't work there more than once. I always wondered why, especially when so many don't make it, you wouldnt value the people who have shown they do great work and WANT to be there, and can handle the stress of "ship life". I had a great housekeeping manager, so that definitely made a difference. My calculation I made was that 10% of us on QOW made it the entire 16 weeks. But the money, the experience, the sights, the seeing different cities every day, and the bonding with coworkers made it entirely worth it. I would go  more... back if they would have me. Thanks ACL for a summer I'll never forget! And the money!
After showing me what cruise life is like, I enlisted with Norwegian Cruise Lines to work in Hawaii on their ship! But if ACL had recurring employment, I'd still be with them.
Pros
Ability to save, Turnaround Pay (Financial Incentive), Free Food
Cons
No work/life balance, feeling of being unvalued (disposable)
February 11, 2019

Thank you for leaving us a review! We appreciate all of your hard work and contributions to the American Cruise Line team. Please consider applying for a management position in order to further your hospitality experience with us.

Hard work every single day
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  MississippiDecember 11, 2018
I was a housekeeper so we had it slightly easier than the other workers. When I say that, i just mean that we usually got our scheduled breaks everyday which lasted 2 hours. If you were a server or a dishwasher, you worked extremely long hours with minimum breaks. The job isn't really hard, it's just the long hours and the fact that we dont have any days off which makes the whole thing almost unbearable at times. If you luck up with great managers like I did, it can make everything a little easier. Your coworkers become like family and we made it fun at times. You do have time to get off at the different ports either on your break or at night when you've completed your shift. You just have to be back before the 11pm curfew. Overall if you can deal with waking up early everyday, having roommates, sleeping in tight quarters, and working long hours, then I say do it. It's not the hardest job I've had and I would go back again if they would let me.

Heads up: your feet are going to hurt so bad the first 2 weeks. A lot of blisters and swollen ankles. I swear it gets better!
Pros
Lots of overtime, free food, saving money
Cons
Long work hours, no days off, lots of deep cleaning, no healthy food
February 11, 2019

We are grateful for all of your hard work this past season! We will take your suggestions into consideration as we are always looking to improve ourselves.

Would only work here if it was life or death
HOUSEKEEPER (Former Employee) –  MississippiOctober 17, 2018
if you have anything and i mean anything at home, don't leave. you are lucky to make 10k how they explain the pay is not what actually happens, crew quarters reek or sewage and there were roaches on my boat. there's drama and childish people that are excused with having a "big" personality. management is a mess. everyone has a break down. no one is happy here, this company does not care about their employees.
November 8, 2018

We understand the hours can be demanding and we appreciate how hard our entire team works. We are always looking for ways to improve ourselves, so we will take your feedback into consideration.

Very Productive Workplace
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTJuly 5, 2018
This job will keep you on your toes and thinking. It has room for growth, regarding your work ethic and personal growth. The employees and management make sure to push you and ensure that you can always do more, which is a great thing.
Pros
Pay, Food, Making the Passengers day
Cons
Long hrs but definetly not HARD labor.
July 17, 2018

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that during your time with us you have been pushed to reach your maximum potential. It is our goal to make sure that we offer all employees room for both personal and professional growth. We appreciate your comment.

Non stop moving from 6am-9:30pm
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 24, 2018
A typical day at work includes you clocking in at 6 in the morning and not clocking out until 9:30 at night. While you get 3 meals a day, Dinner is served at around 4 pm. The shifts are 12-15 hours long. Occasionally there are breaks in the afternoons. Which wouldn't be so bad if you expected to do laundry in your time off and hardly have time to rest any throughout the day. Pay is 7.25 an hour. They claim you will be bring $10,000 by the end of the 4 months but the only reason that's true is because this company squeezes every last drop of energy from your body. On my first day my fitness watch recorded that I walked 8 miles and climbed 32 flights of stairs. The hardest part of the job is being absolutely exhausted constantly. I personally found nothing enjoyable about this job besides the views outside the windows (which I rarely seen).
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Tasteless food. Not enough sleep. No privacy. Hard labor for small pay.
June 11, 2018

We understand that the hours can be demanding and life on board the ship is not for everyone, which is why we try to be as transparent as possible during employee interviews and training. We are continuously seeking to improve the experience for both our employees and our guests, so your feedback is very helpful.

A great way to jump into hospitality
Stewardess/Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 6, 2017
Travel. Travel. Travel. You was able to enjoy the places you visit. Granted besides the minor sea sickness-Everything was beautiful. And the food...AMAZING!!
Pruductive and fun place to work in.
Stewardess/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 18, 2015
I learned a lot of new things in my time as a stewardess. I learned about team work and how to push myself beyond my own limits to plese and provide the guests with an unique experience while on board with us. It was a great learning experience.
Amazing new people from everywhere
Server/Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTJune 30, 2015
I loved working for this company. I met so many amazing people who I still talk to. I also traveled to so many places I had never been before. I went from Boston, MA to Florida. Wonderful experiences!
Pros
Traveling, meeting great new people
Cons
short breaks, VERY long work hours, sleeping quarters