American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews for Steward

Experience of a lifetime
Steward (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 13, 2018
Firstly, read the job requirements. You're going to be working at least ten hours a day, sometimes 14, for seven days a week, for at least 12 weeks. It's continuous and you barely have time to yourself. It's hard work, and it's definitely not for everyone. Pay is great, given most of the pay is from overtime. You can easily bring home 3.5k each month before tax. You don't have to pay for "rent" or food, so you can really save a lot. Although, you will get the munchies and want to eat out every once in a while. You get at least hour breaks everyday, even up to three hours depending on how much your team wants to get out and how the passengers are like for that week. It takes about two weeks to get accustomed to everything, so don't be stressed if you don't get it in a week. I'll be honest, I thought a lot about quitting the first two weeks, but I didn't and I don't regret it. Turnaround is hectic, and usually everyone is drained that day. Honestly, your experience will heavily depend on your crew and management. Luckily I was on the Pride, which had such a strong team and great management. Made my experience such a blast. A once in a lifetime experience. You make friends and memories that can never be forgotten. I graduated college, couldn't find an entry-level job, needed quick money, and that is why I applied. You definitely learn a lot about the hospitality industry and get experience.
Pros
Free housing, free food, great pay, see new places, meet new people
Cons
11PM curfew, away from family, sometimes have time differences
American Cruise Lines
Galley Steward (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 4, 2018
Good Job. You can make the money you want to make but you have to be willing to work. If you're lazy or have never had a job, this is not the industry for you.
Pros
Work hard, little play, good pay
Steward (Former Employee) –  Queen of the MississippiDecember 2, 2018
I was a dining steward for the Queen of the Mississippi and completed my 16 week contract with no days off and with recognition as employee spotlight for the month of August. I’d recommend this job to anybody with an open acceptance for physical and mental challenge. It’s not for everyone- everyday you wake up to do the same thing for 4 months straight with little rotation in the schedule but it builds good habits you can apply to your daily living or for a job in the hospitality field if you choose to do so. There will be times of question, frustration, self doubt, fatigue, extreme exhaustion, feet pains; and then the few memorable, fun, comedic moments in between that tends to leave small streaks of positivity that helps you get through the day. Word of advice for any newbies who dare accept, hold onto those moments- they’re the ones that get you through along with the friendships you make with the people you work with.
I was often asked how I survived this challenge without breaking; Easy, my motivation was the $$$, and then hoping daily for a successful operation.
It was a lot of constant and repetitive tasks daily that soon became expected and easier to achieve. The job wasn’t hard, it was just a lot to do within certain time frames. My managers were great in their own ways and of course flawed as well- but they tried their best. The disrespect from the stewards sometimes got out of hand but all you can do is your part and not be so easily angered by the different managing methods. Anyways, great learning experience, great way to save/build $$$, and best of luck for
  more... anyone who hops on board!  less
Pros
Free meals, different port stops, friends
Cons
Curfew, short breaks
December 13, 2018

We love our Employee Spotlights! It gives us the opportunity to showcase our talented and hard working employees. It is great to hear that the competitive pay kept you motivated. Your detailed feedback will be shared with our management team.

american cruise lines
Galley Steward (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutNovember 17, 2018
They give an honest assessment about the job during your interview the job is rather physically demanding and the hours are long .80 to 100 hour work weeks are not uncommon. There are no days off, work starts at 5:30 am until 9:30 pm. You are fed breakfast lunch and dinner and given an hour break. The pay rate is minimum wage.People leaving due to injury or rash and skin infections are not uncommon. Room inspections are done every other day and are kept to a certain standard. If you are looking for a quick way to save up a few thousand dollars without standard living cost it is a good opportunity but the job just like they employees are expendable.
Pros
You can save up money quick
Cons
considerable Lack of consideration for employees
December 13, 2018

We recognize that the hours can be demanding and life on board the ship is not for everyone, which is why we try to be as clear as possible during both employee interviews and training. We are constantly seeking to improve the experience for our employees while they are on our ships. As we gear up for the 2019 season, we will share these comments internally.

Fast paced but exciting.
Steward Server (Former Employee) –  Guilford, ConnecticutOctober 4, 2018
There's always something to do, so despite the long hours the days go by fast. The hours are much longer than a typical shift, but hey, that's what you sign up for. The company as well as the Managers make it crystal clear what is expected of your from every moment of the day. That type of structure makes it easier to work those long hours and not stress about the work. When everybody understands their roles in a team clearly, performing jobs becomes incredibly cohesive. Work hard and you'll do well. Slack off and you won't have a good time. Your work ethic is up to you alone and that really shows in this job. And management understands that. So they are harder on you.
Pros
Good pay structure, Living and transportation expenses paid for, Traveling, Meeting new folks, Diversity, Very professional, Unique experience, Great place to build references, Away from home for long periods of time
Cons
Very long hours. Away from home for long periods of time. Being on water a lot.
October 8, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines, we thank you for taking the time to write us such a positive review. We are glad to hear that your responsibilities and expectations were clear from the start. We will share this internally, thank you!

Fast paced, but exciting place to train.
Steward (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 20, 2018
ACL if they are interested after your interviews, will pay for your transportation to get to the training center. Training for the steward position is fast paced and done over a short period of time, but easily understood if the effort is put forth into it. Everyone is more than capable and able to assist with any questions or issues that may show up. Initially you start training at a training facility, so before you are thrown into the rush of a full blown dinner, you are able to do mock service runs. You will work towards being able to be proficient in serving before going to the cruise boats, allowing you to have a peace of mind knowing what to expect instead of immediately being pressured. Also go over any safety protocols so you can be safe, while also securing the safety of any and all passengers on the ships.
Pros
Free food, free lodging, long breaks
Cons
Long work days
September 24, 2018

Thank you for leaving us a review. We really appreciate your hard work and commitment to our mission statement. As our company grows and advances, we are thrilled to hear our employees are as well during training!

Great place to work. Pays well
DINING STEWARD (Former Employee) –  New England IslandsSeptember 4, 2018
Long hours but great opportunity. Good starting experience and teaches you how to work well with others. Most enjoyable part of the day are breaks. Diverse workplace
September 14, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback. We are glad to hear that during your time you were given the experience to work within our shipboard team. Best of luck to you in the future!

Definitely Fast paced but amazing experience!
Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTAugust 2, 2018
Training was very real and cut throat. No shortcuts but it was very rewarding and the staff was more than amazing. Your peers will become your fast friends and your teammate. I would definitely recommend to everyone.
August 3, 2018

It's Ship Life! Know what you're getting into.
Restaurant steward (Current Employee) –  ConnecticutJuly 23, 2018
I'm going to start this review with something anyone who is interested in this line of work should know: YOU ARE NOT ON VACATION. Sure you will probably see beautiful sights but you join the company to work not just chill out and watch the mountains go by. Another thing you are probably thinking about is something a bit darker. No it isn't human trafficking. I thought it might be as well(heck I was ready to fight in case something sketchy happened) but I'm back home safe and sound.

This is a lot of work. Not HARD work mind you but you are going to be constantly busy from 5:30AM(6 most days) to 9:30PM(give or take 45 minutes). You will have fairly reasonable breaks throughout the day(30 min lunch/30 min dinner/an hour or 3 here and there) but overall you will be working long hours. If you are comfortable following a list throughout the day then you'll be fine. The list makes the day go by fast anyway.

There are three meals that all Restaurant Stewart's take a part in. You are assigned 2 tables and you DON'T flip them. Each table holds 6 people though if it's a larger ship a couple can hold 8. This means the total amount max you will be serving a day is 36 people. I'm honestly still blown away by that cause im used to serving 250+ a day.

Overall it is long work but easy income. You get a taste of travel, meet some interesting characters, and get the strange bragging rights of being able to tell your friends you worked on a cruise ship and watch their jaws drop.

If you work very hard, are professional, and are passionate about being dedicated to the job go ahead and
  more... sign up.  less
Pros
Free Food, Easy way to save cash, Wanderlust cure
Cons
All depends on who you work with, No gym on board, occasional bad apple
July 26, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide us and others who are applying with honest feedback about your time working for us. We work hard to foster an environment that allows our employees to be challenged and grow daily. We appreciate the work that you did while on board. Best of luck to you in the future!

Awesome Experience.
Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 24, 2018
I tell everyone about this job, because it really sets you up for life. Working on a cruise ship is rough, its a lot of hard work and a lot of people quit. The work load is crazy, but the experience is worth it. You meet all kinds of people and you test yourself with how much stuff you can really take. Being able to say I made it through the 12 weeks is a huge accomplishment.
Pros
Meet new people, the experience
Cons
Poor managment, no time off.
June 19, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience on board. We hope that the challenges that you encountered and the skills that you gained will take you far in your future. Your hard work and commitment during your 12 weeks certainly did not go unnoticed, thank you!

its a lot...
Housekeeping Steward (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 1, 2018
The job is great only because of the people you work with and the passengers. If you have bad coworkers and bad mangers and bad passengers you won't last a week. people have quit in less than two days from the constant work and stress. I would come back but only for the money but it is what it is. They also won't let me say bad words on this review so imagine a more colorful explanation.
Pros
free food and board
Cons
everything else
June 11, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and dedication to American Cruise Lines. We are always seeking to improve the experience for both our employees and our guests, so your honest feedback is very helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any additional information.

American Cruise Lines
Galley Steward (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 2, 2018
Faced paced fun environment. Got to see the country from living on a boat and getting paid. Great job and experience for life on the sea. Fun crew makes a wonderful time
Fun Place to work but does take adjusting to the lifestyle
Dining steward (Former Employee) –  Oregon and WashingtonJanuary 11, 2018
This was a really fun job, very fast paced. It is a hard job, it was the hardest job I've ever had. It takes time to adjust to the boat life, it took me about 2-3 weeks to fall in love with the job. you work about 90-100 hours a week but with a good group of people and good managers, it is enjoyable despite of the long hours. You wake up on the water to a beautiful sunrise every morning but you have very limited living space and privacy but you don't spend much time in your room other than sleeping. I worked with an amazing crew so it was very fun. Free room and board and meals, free travel, great money, and very little expense.
Pros
Free meals, free room and board, travel, money, People you work with
Cons
long hours, hard work, no work-life balance, small living space
Leisure Time and Holiday Pay
Housekeeper Steward (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 5, 2017
More Leisure time needed to be given even though work is for the guest. Most lesuire was give was 2 hours. Benifits need to be given out as well even if you are temporary out of 16 weeks your there. Time in a half for holidays need to be given when worked!!
Pros
Pay
Cons
managment, leisure time and benifits
Hard work, long hours, and lots of tears
Dining Steward (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 28, 2017
Working 12-14 hours a day on a ship, surrounded by the same people every day can be difficult. Huge management turnover so you get to know one for a couple of weeks then they leave and you get another one that can be absolutely awful. Have to get used to it. Long hours, no benefits, BUT the money is incredible. You can make a lot if you stick it out.
Pros
all expenses paid, paid training, paid flights and transportation from home to vessel, vessel to a different vessel, great money
Cons
management sucks most of the time, trainers are rude and show favortism, if you leave the boat (quit) you have to pay to get home yourself
Great Experience
Steward (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKSeptember 28, 2017
I either had a diamond in the rough or a lot of people just don't know what they're getting into when they sign up. ACL was a great experience and I wish I could have worked longer. Yeah the hours are long, but if you work hard you can still get plenty of time off. Plus the job isn't anywhere near as difficult as other people are claiming it to be. The team I had the privilege of working with (including managers and deckhands) was outstanding and the guests were almost always a pleasure. You certainly get a better pay check compared to working a normal summer job and you see some incredible sights along the way.
Pros
Make a lot of money and meet really nice people
Cons
Curfew
Stressful and long work hours
Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 4, 2017
I was stationed on the Queen of the West. I worked 12-15 hour workdays, no days off, and even though I got along with the crew and ship's guests, the captain didn't like me at all. She wouldn't speak to anyone that wasn't a manager. Made me feel very stressed and skiddish. The upside was that I got tipped pretty well by the guests at the end of each week.
Pros
Got to see the sights while docked at different spots of the tour, plus got paid well
Cons
Long work hours each day, no days off, no benefits
Long days on the water
Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTJuly 4, 2017
This was my first real job, and where I learned what it really meant to work. Working every day, just about 12-15 hours. That ship would not run if it wasn't for the stewards on board.

Every day having to set up for breakfast, serve breakfast. Clean the rooms and all guest areas making sure that everything was to standards. Moving on to setting up and serving lunch. Nap time. Then to set up and serve dinner. To end the evening with late night snack and turn down service.

Sounds like a lot right ? But I loved every minute of it.
Good job if you don't need time to yourself
Steward (Former Employee) –  Columbia and snake riversJune 21, 2017
I loved my job the first few weeks. 84 hours a week you'll be working non stop. I learned more than I ever imagined. . When I hit a month I decided never having enough sleep or down time was too much for me. Every week 3-4 people quit because of one reason, no down time. You'll work sleep and do it again every day. Management NEEDS to give people a longer mid day break or allow us to get off earlier or you'll have a new crew every week. Great experience other than that.
Pros
Crew meals are good and consistent, amazing guests, nice co workers
Cons
Living quarters, short breaks, no personal time what so ever.
Dont work here
Steward (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 20, 2017
They overwork all their employees, you share a room with 4 or more people and there is no personal boundaries. A typical day was waking up at 7am and working throughout the dady with an hour break from 2-3 or 1-3 depending on how quick cleanup was. After you clocked back in youre working until 10pm or later with an 11pm curfew so you cant even enjoy your time off. Some management since we switched so much on the boat were so condescending I have never felt so belittled before. If you're sick during your internship don't even think for a second they would be okay with that. They only follow protocols if corporate is on the ship and then everything is super strict, which is okay if it was that way all the time. Overall not worth youre time if you want a fun internship or job. If you like working for a company that doesn't care for you go ahead. Even the chefs on our ship had started to make gross lunches and someone from corporate had to step in and say it was not okay.
Pros
free room and board.
Cons
everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cruise Lines. Our community is ready to answer.