American Cruise Lines Employee Reviews for Steward

Fast paced but exciting.
Steward Server (Former Employee) –  Guilford, ConnecticutOctober 4, 2018
There's always something to do, so despite the long hours the days go by fast. The hours are much longer than a typical shift, but hey, that's what you sign up for. The company as well as the Managers make it crystal clear what is expected of your from every moment of the day. That type of structure makes it easier to work those long hours and not stress about the work. When everybody understands their roles in a team clearly, performing jobs becomes incredibly cohesive. Work hard and you'll do well. Slack off and you won't have a good time. Your work ethic is up to you alone and that really shows in this job. And management understands that. So they are harder on you.
Pros
Good pay structure, Living and transportation expenses paid for, Traveling, Meeting new folks, Diversity, Very professional, Unique experience, Great place to build references, Away from home for long periods of time
Cons
Very long hours. Away from home for long periods of time. Being on water a lot.
October 8, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines, we thank you for taking the time to write us such a positive review. We are glad to hear that your responsibilities and expectations were clear from the start. We will share this internally, thank you!

October 8, 2018

Thank you for sharing such valuable feedback! We strive to provide all of our potential employees with transparency throughout the interview process in regards to the position requirements and what is expected.

Fast paced, but exciting place to train.
Steward (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 20, 2018
ACL if they are interested after your interviews, will pay for your transportation to get to the training center. Training for the steward position is fast paced and done over a short period of time, but easily understood if the effort is put forth into it. Everyone is more than capable and able to assist with any questions or issues that may show up. Initially you start training at a training facility, so before you are thrown into the rush of a full blown dinner, you are able to do mock service runs. You will work towards being able to be proficient in serving before going to the cruise boats, allowing you to have a peace of mind knowing what to expect instead of immediately being pressured. Also go over any safety protocols so you can be safe, while also securing the safety of any and all passengers on the ships.
Pros
Free food, free lodging, long breaks
Cons
Long work days
September 24, 2018

Thank you for leaving us a review. We really appreciate your hard work and commitment to our mission statement. As our company grows and advances, we are thrilled to hear our employees are as well during training!

Great place to work. Pays well
DINING STEWARD (Former Employee) –  New England IslandsSeptember 4, 2018
Long hours but great opportunity. Good starting experience and teaches you how to work well with others. Most enjoyable part of the day are breaks. Diverse workplace
September 14, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with positive feedback. We are glad to hear that during your time you were given the experience to work within our shipboard team. Best of luck to you in the future!

Definitely Fast paced but amazing experience!
Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTAugust 2, 2018
Training was very real and cut throat. No shortcuts but it was very rewarding and the staff was more than amazing. Your peers will become your fast friends and your teammate. I would definitely recommend to everyone.
August 3, 2018

Awesome Experience.
Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 24, 2018
I tell everyone about this job, because it really sets you up for life. Working on a cruise ship is rough, its a lot of hard work and a lot of people quit. The work load is crazy, but the experience is worth it. You meet all kinds of people and you test yourself with how much stuff you can really take. Being able to say I made it through the 12 weeks is a huge accomplishment.
Pros
Meet new people, the experience
Cons
Poor managment, no time off.
June 19, 2018

On behalf of American Cruise Lines we thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience on board. We hope that the challenges that you encountered and the skills that you gained will take you far in your future. Your hard work and commitment during your 12 weeks certainly did not go unnoticed, thank you!

its a lot...
Housekeeping Steward (Current Employee) –  Guilford, CTMay 1, 2018
The job is great only because of the people you work with and the passengers. If you have bad coworkers and bad mangers and bad passengers you won't last a week. people have quit in less than two days from the constant work and stress. I would come back but only for the money but it is what it is. They also won't let me say bad words on this review so imagine a more colorful explanation.
Pros
free food and board
Cons
everything else
June 11, 2018

Thank you for your feedback and dedication to American Cruise Lines. We are always seeking to improve the experience for both our employees and our guests, so your honest feedback is very helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any additional information.

American Cruise Lines
Galley Steward (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 2, 2018
Faced paced fun environment. Got to see the country from living on a boat and getting paid. Great job and experience for life on the sea. Fun crew makes a wonderful time
Fun Place to work but does take adjusting to the lifestyle
Dining steward (Former Employee) –  Oregon and WashingtonJanuary 11, 2018
This was a really fun job, very fast paced. It is a hard job, it was the hardest job I've ever had. It takes time to adjust to the boat life, it took me about 2-3 weeks to fall in love with the job. you work about 90-100 hours a week but with a good group of people and good managers, it is enjoyable despite of the long hours. You wake up on the water to a beautiful sunrise every morning but you have very limited living space and privacy but you don't spend much time in your room other than sleeping. I worked with an amazing crew so it was very fun. Free room and board and meals, free travel, great money, and very little expense.
Pros
Free meals, free room and board, travel, money, People you work with
Cons
long hours, hard work, no work-life balance, small living space
Leisure Time and Holiday Pay
Housekeeper Steward (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 5, 2017
More Leisure time needed to be given even though work is for the guest. Most lesuire was give was 2 hours. Benifits need to be given out as well even if you are temporary out of 16 weeks your there. Time in a half for holidays need to be given when worked!!
Pros
Pay
Cons
managment, leisure time and benifits
Hard work, long hours, and lots of tears
Dining Steward (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 28, 2017
Working 12-14 hours a day on a ship, surrounded by the same people every day can be difficult. Huge management turnover so you get to know one for a couple of weeks then they leave and you get another one that can be absolutely awful. Have to get used to it. Long hours, no benefits, BUT the money is incredible. You can make a lot if you stick it out.
Pros
all expenses paid, paid training, paid flights and transportation from home to vessel, vessel to a different vessel, great money
Cons
management sucks most of the time, trainers are rude and show favortism, if you leave the boat (quit) you have to pay to get home yourself
Great Experience
Steward (Former Employee) –  Juneau, AKSeptember 28, 2017
I either had a diamond in the rough or a lot of people just don't know what they're getting into when they sign up. ACL was a great experience and I wish I could have worked longer. Yeah the hours are long, but if you work hard you can still get plenty of time off. Plus the job isn't anywhere near as difficult as other people are claiming it to be. The team I had the privilege of working with (including managers and deckhands) was outstanding and the guests were almost always a pleasure. You certainly get a better pay check compared to working a normal summer job and you see some incredible sights along the way.
Pros
Make a lot of money and meet really nice people
Cons
Curfew
Stressful and long work hours
Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTSeptember 4, 2017
I was stationed on the Queen of the West. I worked 12-15 hour workdays, no days off, and even though I got along with the crew and ship's guests, the captain didn't like me at all. She wouldn't speak to anyone that wasn't a manager. Made me feel very stressed and skiddish. The upside was that I got tipped pretty well by the guests at the end of each week.
Pros
Got to see the sights while docked at different spots of the tour, plus got paid well
Cons
Long work hours each day, no days off, no benefits
Long days on the water
Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTJuly 4, 2017
This was my first real job, and where I learned what it really meant to work. Working every day, just about 12-15 hours. That ship would not run if it wasn't for the stewards on board.

Every day having to set up for breakfast, serve breakfast. Clean the rooms and all guest areas making sure that everything was to standards. Moving on to setting up and serving lunch. Nap time. Then to set up and serve dinner. To end the evening with late night snack and turn down service.

Sounds like a lot right ? But I loved every minute of it.
Good job if you don't need time to yourself
Steward (Former Employee) –  Columbia and snake riversJune 21, 2017
I loved my job the first few weeks. 84 hours a week you'll be working non stop. I learned more than I ever imagined. . When I hit a month I decided never having enough sleep or down time was too much for me. Every week 3-4 people quit because of one reason, no down time. You'll work sleep and do it again every day. Management NEEDS to give people a longer mid day break or allow us to get off earlier or you'll have a new crew every week. Great experience other than that.
Pros
Crew meals are good and consistent, amazing guests, nice co workers
Cons
Living quarters, short breaks, no personal time what so ever.
Dont work here
Steward (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 20, 2017
They overwork all their employees, you share a room with 4 or more people and there is no personal boundaries. A typical day was waking up at 7am and working throughout the dady with an hour break from 2-3 or 1-3 depending on how quick cleanup was. After you clocked back in youre working until 10pm or later with an 11pm curfew so you cant even enjoy your time off. Some management since we switched so much on the boat were so condescending I have never felt so belittled before. If you're sick during your internship don't even think for a second they would be okay with that. They only follow protocols if corporate is on the ship and then everything is super strict, which is okay if it was that way all the time. Overall not worth youre time if you want a fun internship or job. If you like working for a company that doesn't care for you go ahead. Even the chefs on our ship had started to make gross lunches and someone from corporate had to step in and say it was not okay.
Pros
free room and board.
Cons
everything
Sail
Galley Steward (Former Employee) –  Guilford, CTMarch 29, 2017
A schedule would be greatly enforce by staff to make for a productive day. Management was great at problem solving and always had a smile on for everyone.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Work everyday
fun team/great experience
Steward (Former Employee) –  MississippiFebruary 12, 2017
worked 15+ hours a day, 7 days a week for 10 weeks straight. no days off. constantly on my feet. set up, served and cleaned up after 3 meals a day and ran a cocktail hour in between,
VERY hard work, not for everyone
Steward (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 5, 2017
A typical day at work is waking up at 5am, setting the dining room up, serving breakfast to 3-4, 8 tops, then cleaning up the entire kitchen and dining area, then housekeeping - cleaning 8-10 rooms, stripping the sheets, vacuuming, cleaning the bathrooms, then setting up the dining room for lunch then serving the passengers lunch, then cleaning the kitchen and dining room again, preparing for dinner, then we would all have "special tasks" .. then we have about 30 minutes to shower, eat and get ready for setting up the dining room for dinner then serving the passengers dinner, then desert ...afterwards we clean the dining room and kitchen ...by this time it is 8 at night and you have just worked 15 hours and the best part about this whole thing is what I just listed and went into detail about is your work day EVERY SINGLE DAY, 7 DAYS A WEEK! NO days off, ever... unless you quit.
Pros
travel for free
Cons
no days off, no life, no benefits
Great place to work !
Steward (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2017
Working for American Cruise Lines is a temporary job; approximately 4 months . You can earn up to $2000 every 2 weeks on the job. Some people say it is easy , but there is a lot of hard work that goes into this position . Working seven days a week , at least 12 hours a day , and little time to sleep. The living quarters are cramped but overall the job is great ! You need to be fast and have a good attitude. Management is okay , sometimes a little disorganized.
Pros
Everything is paid for ! You get to go onshore and shop . Overtime $$$
Cons
Short breaks, curfew 11PM !
Don't do it! Look into anything else!
Steward (Former Employee) –  Mississippi RiverNovember 30, 2016
SMHGuilford,CT=home office.14hr a day no off.Vacation forced.Feet,BLISTERS.U eat or sleep,get sick or fired. You're expendable! Creators = exmilitary.
Pros
Save money, Great guests, great peers
Cons
Unhealthy, No rest, verbally & mentally abusive management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Cruise Lines. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about