American Diabetes Association Employee Reviews

I loved this place!!!
DIABETES INFORMATON REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 11, 2018
I loved this place! I felt as if management really cared about my thoughts, because whenever I bring up a question or concern, they jumped on it. They compensated me well and provided me with a great work/life balance. I resigned only because I wanted to attend nursing school; the nursing program was a full-time program.
Pros
They really care about employee feedback
Cons
Cannot think of one
Good place to gain experience
Community Health Strategies Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 6, 2018
Interning at the ADA helped me gaon experience and insight on a non-profit while in college. Even though I had multiple jobs, it helped me to understand the best way to juggle it all.
Pros
Experience, knowledge, superiors are encoraging and supportive
Cons
Wish there waa more to staff to handle the office, almost everyone has 3 different jobs they have to do
Customer Service
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 29, 2018
This is a great company to work for. They have great advancement opportunities. Talking to the customers is a fun and rewarding. Working here, I learned alot about the disease that took my mothers life so I was grateful for this job. I only left because I had a baby and needed to be home fulltime with him.
A great place to work
Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, ILAugust 5, 2018
I got to work on different patients cases which helped me learn and know more about the disease state. Team work was great key to our success because we all learn from each other.
Pros
great and loving place to work
Cons
not sure of any
Ada
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 10, 2018
The American Diabetes Association was a great opportunity to put my education to work. They challenged me to overcome various obstacles that I encountered during my time. Management was excellent, she was uplifting, motivating and always a blast to have around. The workplace culture was relaxed but down to business. The most enjoyable part of the job was the community outreach event we would set up and run.
Volunteer work
Volunteer Work and Community Service (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 26, 2018
This was volunteer work. Very fun and pleasant experience working with this foundation. Great way to connect with others and the community. Productive and engaging.
I was a volunteer at the ADA
Coach/Trainer - Team Diabetes (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 24, 2018
I was a volunteer at the ADA. I enjoyed my time and met some wonderful caring people. Many had family;y members who suffered with diabetes. I learned a lot and felt the donations were spent wisely.
Productive and fun work place great co-workers hands on management.
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 19, 2018
A typical day at American Diabetes Associations is ongoing at a medium steady pace. Receive and register invoices, forms, records and other documents for data capture, Input data into computerized databases, spreadsheets or other templates using a keyboard, mouse, or optical scanner, speech recognition software or other data entry tools, Import and/or export data between different kinds of software, verify accuracy and completeness of data, Identify, label and organize electronic storage media, Maintain libraries of electronic storage media using strong math and English skills both writing and speaking while meeting monthly deadlines.
I've learned many different transferable skills such as entering Individual/corporate demographics, financial information, and coded event information into organization’s databases,how to prepare source data for computer entry by compiling and sorting information; establishing entry priorities. Processing customer and account source documents by reviewing data for deficiencies; resolving discrepancies by using standard procedures or returning incomplete documents to the team leader for resolution. Entering customer and account data by inputting alphabetic and numeric information on keyboard or optical scanner according to screen format. Maintained data entry requirements by following data program techniques and procedures. Verifies entered customer and account data by reviewing, correcting, deleting, or reentering data; combining data from both systems when account information is incomplete; purging files to eliminate duplication of data. Tested
  more... customer and account system changes and upgrades by inputting new data; reviewing output. Maintained customer confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential. Copying/Filing, Create/Update Accounts, Print Batch Detail Reports. Also learned to work with software programming system CRM.
Supervision of the office manager and senior administrators in a large organization. Ideally, but not always, there is a clear chain of command and expected outcomes are clearly communicated.
The workplace culture is very relaxed, friendly and hands on with lots of communication. supervised by an office manager or senior administrator. Although they'll vary from company to company, the tasks a clerk does will tend to remain fairly consistent, depending on the company's needs.
The hardest part of the job is that when a lot of information is placed in front of you (or I guess me, really) it can become overwhelming. Our brain will try and make shortcuts, find patterns (which will actually exist, though not always), and somehow our fingers will input the craziest things. It’s not about how thorough you are; it’s about being human. Humans make mistakes. I think that might be the biggest thing I learned from this: no matter how well I think I am doing, no matter how much attention to details I’m paying, I will make mistakes. The key is to recognize those mistakes and correct them. Because data entry should be as accurate as possible, otherwise what’s the point?
Last but not least the most exciting part about the job will be learning new things and ways to search information, proofreading and correcting simply errors made by myself and peers. Creating a completed batch detail report and a job well done.
Pros
Gift cards, attendance awards, free lunch, town hall meetings
Cons
Deadlines, system crashes and shutdowns
Nice Environment and Good people
Intern (Former Employee) –  611 Wilshire Blvd Ste, 900May 15, 2018
The tasks for and jobs could very day to day
Overall I learned a lot about non-profits work
Data Entry

The hardest part of the job would be the inconsistency with my managers as some tasks were held as important and then put off for weeks
Pros
Extremely Flexible with hours, Really kind environemnt
Volunteering at ADA
DIABETES ADVOCATE, FUNDRAISER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 5, 2018
I was a volunteer and fund raiser at ADA for 19 years. It was hard to answer number of. meetings and other questions when you don't get paid. ADA allowed me to do many positive experiences like being a diabetes advocate in Washington,DC and many other perks. Because I believe in the cause I have stayed 19 years.
Pros
I believe in ADA and helping those with diabetes.
Cons
No advancement.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 2, 2018
A typical work day for me would be from 8 AM to 5PM. In this job, I would do the job duties assigned and I enjoy working well with others. I also expect to learn a lot from this job and hope to help people.
great experience
Event Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2018
every day is different, it was an incredible opportunity to meet and work with so many different people in varying industries

my department was event development so we focused mainly on the events
Pros
ability to meet other professionals in varying industries
Cons
internship was unpaid
Poor ceo
Senior Vice President, Products (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 15, 2018
Terrible CEO. Constant CEO turnover hurting organization. Currently have Interim CEO and have waited 15 months for new CEO. Still not here. Constant turnover of talent. Focus is 100% on cutting costs.
Changes = Opportunities
Director (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 9, 2018
The Association is an institution that has gone through many changes in recent years. While the changes can be challenging, leadership is dedicated to creating an organization that is strong, smart and strategic. There is amazing opportunities for staff, volunteers and leadership to help the ADA be better than ever. I would recommend working here. A dedicated, committed group of talented people who care about the mission. Beautiful office and easy location right off metro stop.
Pros
reorganization, committed people w/ long history dedicated to helping the millions of people affected by diabetes
Cons
reorganization, staffing changes
Good Internship
Special Events Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2018
Good internship experience during college. Exposure to event planning and constituent communications. Great experience working with volunteers of all different levels.
Work for a cause
Data Scientist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 20, 2018
Working at a nonprofit requires a lot of passion and patients. Although everything revolves around "the cause", nothing can get done without money. Fundraising is a very hard business and nonprofits have been hit hard in the last 10 years.

As the world becomes increasingly technologically driven, nonprofits are having a very hard time catching up to the times and adjusting.
Pros
Your work is driven by a good cause and the people are passionate.
Cons
things can be stagnant and cultural change is hard.
Great workplace, fulfilling work
CAMP COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Park River, ND; Hudson, WIJanuary 30, 2018
Working at camp for the ADA has been incredible, I have learned a lot from the kids there and made some great friends. Although it is only a few weeks a summer that camp is in session, it is the best job I have ever worked and I would recommend it to anybody that enjoys working with children, diabetic or not. For a non-diabetic, it would actually be a great way to learn about healthcare and Type 1 diabetes in general.
Pros
Insulin provided, food provided, lodging provided, fulfilling work, excellent leadership
Cons
Sometimes stressful
I was a volunteer
Volunteering for the ADA (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 10, 2018
I was a volunteer and did not engage greatly with the association itself. I helped organize events for children. I would recommend this company to others for volunteering or work.
volunteer work
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 10, 2018
this is a relaxed and easy volunteer job, my family and I do fundraising through our Minneapolis St. Patrick's Day Association for kids to send them to Camp Needle Point.
Overall good place to work.
MARKET EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 4, 2018
Left the job due to many changes in the organization, lack of communication and uncertainty of direction. Communication could have been better. Overall good place to work.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting out into the community to help people affected with all types of diabetes.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Communication or lack of...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Diabetes Association. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight