American Diabetes Association Employee Reviews

Great cause, mismanaged
Director (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 8, 2019
Leadership changes direction every year or two and if you're not part of the plan, it doesn't matter who you are, you're out. I've seen essential staff cut and the work is passed on to those who are left, even if they were already doing the job of 2-3 people.
Pros
Generous time off allowance
Cons
Poor culture, employees are disempowered and expendable
Working with young diabetics
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Schwenksville, PAJanuary 31, 2019
Get to facilitate activities with the young diabetics at the camp and get to enjoy being with other diabetics.
It can be a lot sometimes as you are with the campers 24/7 for a whole week
Great Career
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 4, 2019
33 year career with opportunities to be involved in multi projects to improve the lives of those living with diabetes. The establishment of our summer camp for children with diabetes is one of my favorite projects
Temp
Assistant to Director (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 26, 2018
I was a temporary employee. They did offer me a full-time position with a chance to be hired full-time but I wanted to go back to school to get my masters.
Pros
Busy
Cons
Great enviornment and office job
Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 28, 2018
It was a pretty great office job to start out with, it was a typical office job that required learning to use excel and microsoft word. The manager there was pretty great and very nice to work with
Pros
great work enviornment
Cons
not much hours
Intern
Public Health Practicum Intern (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 19, 2018
Learned a lot while interning with the association for a summer practicum. The organization has staff who are dedicated to the vision and mission of the organization.
Terrible leadership
Area Director American Diabetes Association, (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 15, 2018
I would prefer not to elaborate. I believe my review summary speaks for itself as no company can survive bad leadership no matter how good the workforce.
Great Co-workers, company culture needs work
MANAGER, DONOR & FUNDRAISER RELATIONS (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 1, 2018
Working day to day there were many meetings that took away from each employees day to day work obligations. The organization was very much in flux and needed to make a lot of changes to move in the right direction. I see great things coming for the organization but it will be a long road ahead.
Pros
flexible hours, ability to work from home on Occassion
Cons
many meetings, unrealistic goals and expectations
No advancement opportunities
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 23, 2018
This organization has a great work life balance with plenty of time off and good benefits. However, the pros don't outweigh the cons. There are no raises to speak of, no advancement opportunities and very low salary compared to many other non-profits in the area.
Mission focused
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJOctober 9, 2018
The ADA had mission driven work. It definitely pulled on community support for its mission. The ADA had resources for the general community and professionals.
Pros
It supported the mission financially though events.
Cons
The ADA decrease community programs.
Marketing Campaign Team Leader Temp position
Marketing Campaign Team Leader (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INOctober 1, 2018
Temporary Position with the American Diabetes Association coordinating a fund raising campaign. Solely managed a 10 person local phone fund raising campaign based out of a local hotel conference room.
Pros
Experience gained
Cons
Motivation, temporary position
I loved this place!!!
DIABETES INFORMATON REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 11, 2018
I loved this place! I felt as if management really cared about my thoughts, because whenever I bring up a question or concern, they jumped on it. They compensated me well and provided me with a great work/life balance. I resigned only because I wanted to attend nursing school; the nursing program was a full-time program.
Pros
They really care about employee feedback
Cons
Cannot think of one
Good place to gain experience
Community Health Strategies Intern (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 6, 2018
Interning at the ADA helped me gaon experience and insight on a non-profit while in college. Even though I had multiple jobs, it helped me to understand the best way to juggle it all.
Pros
Experience, knowledge, superiors are encoraging and supportive
Cons
Wish there waa more to staff to handle the office, almost everyone has 3 different jobs they have to do
Customer Service
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 29, 2018
This is a great company to work for. They have great advancement opportunities. Talking to the customers is a fun and rewarding. Working here, I learned alot about the disease that took my mothers life so I was grateful for this job. I only left because I had a baby and needed to be home fulltime with him.
A great place to work
Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, ILAugust 5, 2018
I got to work on different patients cases which helped me learn and know more about the disease state. Team work was great key to our success because we all learn from each other.
Pros
great and loving place to work
Cons
not sure of any
Ada
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 10, 2018
The American Diabetes Association was a great opportunity to put my education to work. They challenged me to overcome various obstacles that I encountered during my time. Management was excellent, she was uplifting, motivating and always a blast to have around. The workplace culture was relaxed but down to business. The most enjoyable part of the job was the community outreach event we would set up and run.
Volunteer work
Volunteer Work and Community Service (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 26, 2018
This was volunteer work. Very fun and pleasant experience working with this foundation. Great way to connect with others and the community. Productive and engaging.
I was a volunteer at the ADA
Coach/Trainer - Team Diabetes (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 24, 2018
I was a volunteer at the ADA. I enjoyed my time and met some wonderful caring people. Many had family;y members who suffered with diabetes. I learned a lot and felt the donations were spent wisely.
Productive and fun work place great co-workers hands on management.
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 19, 2018
A typical day at American Diabetes Associations is ongoing at a medium steady pace. Receive and register invoices, forms, records and other documents for data capture, Input data into computerized databases, spreadsheets or other templates using a keyboard, mouse, or optical scanner, speech recognition software or other data entry tools, Import and/or export data between different kinds of software, verify accuracy and completeness of data, Identify, label and organize electronic storage media, Maintain libraries of electronic storage media using strong math and English skills both writing and speaking while meeting monthly deadlines.
I've learned many different transferable skills such as entering Individual/corporate demographics, financial information, and coded event information into organization’s databases,how to prepare source data for computer entry by compiling and sorting information; establishing entry priorities. Processing customer and account source documents by reviewing data for deficiencies; resolving discrepancies by using standard procedures or returning incomplete documents to the team leader for resolution. Entering customer and account data by inputting alphabetic and numeric information on keyboard or optical scanner according to screen format. Maintained data entry requirements by following data program techniques and procedures. Verifies entered customer and account data by reviewing, correcting, deleting, or reentering data; combining data from both systems when account information is incomplete; purging files to eliminate duplication of data. Tested
  more... customer and account system changes and upgrades by inputting new data; reviewing output. Maintained customer confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential. Copying/Filing, Create/Update Accounts, Print Batch Detail Reports. Also learned to work with software programming system CRM.
Supervision of the office manager and senior administrators in a large organization. Ideally, but not always, there is a clear chain of command and expected outcomes are clearly communicated.
The workplace culture is very relaxed, friendly and hands on with lots of communication. supervised by an office manager or senior administrator. Although they'll vary from company to company, the tasks a clerk does will tend to remain fairly consistent, depending on the company's needs.
The hardest part of the job is that when a lot of information is placed in front of you (or I guess me, really) it can become overwhelming. Our brain will try and make shortcuts, find patterns (which will actually exist, though not always), and somehow our fingers will input the craziest things. It’s not about how thorough you are; it’s about being human. Humans make mistakes. I think that might be the biggest thing I learned from this: no matter how well I think I am doing, no matter how much attention to details I’m paying, I will make mistakes. The key is to recognize those mistakes and correct them. Because data entry should be as accurate as possible, otherwise what’s the point?
Last but not least the most exciting part about the job will be learning new things and ways to search information, proofreading and correcting simply errors made by myself and peers. Creating a completed batch detail report and a job well done.
Pros
Gift cards, attendance awards, free lunch, town hall meetings
Cons
Deadlines, system crashes and shutdowns
Nice Environment and Good people
Intern (Former Employee) –  611 Wilshire Blvd Ste, 900May 15, 2018
The tasks for and jobs could very day to day
Overall I learned a lot about non-profits work
Data Entry

The hardest part of the job would be the inconsistency with my managers as some tasks were held as important and then put off for weeks
Pros
Extremely Flexible with hours, Really kind environemnt

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Diabetes Association. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight