American Diabetes Association Culture reviews

Ratings breakdown
A great place to work
Pharmacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Ingleside, ILAugust 5, 2018
I got to work on different patients cases which helped me learn and know more about the disease state. Team work was great key to our success because we all learn from each other.
Pros
great and loving place to work
Cons
not sure of any
Ada
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 10, 2018
The American Diabetes Association was a great opportunity to put my education to work. They challenged me to overcome various obstacles that I encountered during my time. Management was excellent, she was uplifting, motivating and always a blast to have around. The workplace culture was relaxed but down to business. The most enjoyable part of the job was the community outreach event we would set up and run.
Volunteer work
Volunteer Work and Community Service (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 26, 2018
This was volunteer work. Very fun and pleasant experience working with this foundation. Great way to connect with others and the community. Productive and engaging.
I was a volunteer at the ADA
Coach/Trainer - Team Diabetes (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 24, 2018
I was a volunteer at the ADA. I enjoyed my time and met some wonderful caring people. Many had family;y members who suffered with diabetes. I learned a lot and felt the donations were spent wisely.
Productive and fun work place great co-workers hands on management.
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 19, 2018
A typical day at American Diabetes Associations is ongoing at a medium steady pace. Receive and register invoices, forms, records and other documents for data capture, Input data into computerized databases, spreadsheets or other templates using a keyboard, mouse, or optical scanner, speech recognition software or other data entry tools, Import and/or export data between different kinds of software, verify accuracy and completeness of data, Identify, label and organize electronic storage media, Maintain libraries of electronic storage media using strong math and English skills both writing and speaking while meeting monthly deadlines.
I've learned many different transferable skills such as entering Individual/corporate demographics, financial information, and coded event information into organization’s databases,how to prepare source data for computer entry by compiling and sorting information; establishing entry priorities. Processing customer and account source documents by reviewing data for deficiencies; resolving discrepancies by using standard procedures or returning incomplete documents to the team leader for resolution. Entering customer and account data by inputting alphabetic and numeric information on keyboard or optical scanner according to screen format. Maintained data entry requirements by following data program techniques and procedures. Verifies entered customer and account data by reviewing, correcting, deleting, or reentering data; combining data from both systems when account information is incomplete; purging files to eliminate duplication of data. Tested
  more... customer and account system changes and upgrades by inputting new data; reviewing output. Maintained customer confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential. Copying/Filing, Create/Update Accounts, Print Batch Detail Reports. Also learned to work with software programming system CRM.
Supervision of the office manager and senior administrators in a large organization. Ideally, but not always, there is a clear chain of command and expected outcomes are clearly communicated.
The workplace culture is very relaxed, friendly and hands on with lots of communication. supervised by an office manager or senior administrator. Although they'll vary from company to company, the tasks a clerk does will tend to remain fairly consistent, depending on the company's needs.
The hardest part of the job is that when a lot of information is placed in front of you (or I guess me, really) it can become overwhelming. Our brain will try and make shortcuts, find patterns (which will actually exist, though not always), and somehow our fingers will input the craziest things. It’s not about how thorough you are; it’s about being human. Humans make mistakes. I think that might be the biggest thing I learned from this: no matter how well I think I am doing, no matter how much attention to details I’m paying, I will make mistakes. The key is to recognize those mistakes and correct them. Because data entry should be as accurate as possible, otherwise what’s the point?
Last but not least the most exciting part about the job will be learning new things and ways to search information, proofreading and correcting simply errors made by myself and peers. Creating a completed batch detail report and a job well done.
Pros
Gift cards, attendance awards, free lunch, town hall meetings
Cons
Deadlines, system crashes and shutdowns
Very Productive and enjoyable lace to work.
Senior Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 24, 2017
Learned how to work with and among many different and varied departments and executive staff.

Sometimes long days but environment was excellent and team effort by all.
Pros
non-profit, great staff and fun place to work.
Great!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Independence, OHSeptember 6, 2017
It was a great place to get started in non-profit work. I got to use my writing skills and it was awesome to get work out there. It was one of my first places to intern at.
Used to be a GREAT place to work
Manager, Research Programs (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 17, 2017
The mission of ADA is awesome, but lately the culture has taking a hit because of the unstable nature of working in a non-profit org in today's economy. Massive layoffs and people taking on multiple duties has made working at ADA a very nerve wrecking atmosphere. It used to be a very family like environment. The CEO who changed this culture has abruptly left, but he left an unfortunate legacy. Hopefully, things will turn around in the near future.
Overall
Special Events Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington DCMay 10, 2017
Going through national transformation at the time. Direct manager was fantastic to work and great overall team environment. Overall lots of change and transition.
Enjoyed some areas, upper management refused to listen to other areas and make needed chages.
Director of Programs (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 1, 2017
Upper management was uninterested in helping daily employees maintain job work/life balance. Did not care if community outreach was maintained, cared ONLY about maintaining dollar numbers. Used the "poor victim" approach of the children to get dollars donated and then did not use the dollars as portrayed for the children's programs.

Enjoyed most the children/outreach programs for children.
Cons
Programs not as important as politics
I had big hopes - fell short
Development Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 25, 2017
The association has a poor company culture, poor management training, and poor compensation. They pretty much set you up to fail. Probably one of the worst places I've ever worked.
Work hard to make a difference in the community.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 7, 2017
The American Diabetes Association is a wonderful place to work hard and to gain experience in a nonprofit organization. Through the multiple annual campaigns you learn to work with members of the community to encourage and educate the public. Great team and wonderful work environment.
Decent place to work
Manager, Fundraising & Special Events (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 2, 2017
I had a great manager but there were a lot changes made when the new president came on board that changed the culture. One being that he deterred working from home, something my manager was very flexible with.
Work/Life Balance and Job Culture Not Good
Sr. Manager, Meetings & Travel (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 22, 2016
Organization going through changes and the employees are feeling the typical affects associated with organizational structural changes. Work/life balance is associated specifically with the job I'm currently in. Work/life in other departments is ok, except the culture suggests you check your emails even if you're out of the office, on vacation or sick. Because someone always has an urgent request needing immediate attention. It's not healthy.
Pros
Productive and fun office environment.
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 21, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed the office environment, my co-workers and the overall culture of the organization. I would suggest ADA to anyone looking for a position at a wonderful organization.
Excellent Non Profit About the Business of Whom They Serve!
EA/Manager for Legal & Administrative Affairs (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 14, 2016
I enjoyed greatly working for this wonderful organization! The culture is great and the reason why we worked so hard is thinking daily about those living with and affected by Diabetes. It was very rewarding!
great place to work with goal oreinted team players
Event Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 3, 2015
The ADA was such a great place to work. Everybody was very welcoming, helpful, goal oriented and a true team player. I wish I could still work there but I needed FT with benefits and they only had temp positions available. I enjoyed recruiting participants, sponsors and vendors for various events to support the ADA and I also enjoyed educating & encouraging people about Diabetes.
Pros
Free Lunches and great Team Atmosphere
Cons
Didn't have FT employment
Passionate employees navigating a sea of change
Manager, Talent Management (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 23, 2015
ADA is full of some of the most passionate people I've ever met. Employees are committed to the mission and that is seen daily in the amazing work the staff does. However, there has been much change within the organization over the past year and turnover is high. With a new Executive Team in place, it will be exciting to see what comes next for the Association.
Great work life balance, Lots of days off
MISSION DELIVERY, MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 11, 2014
Management was intimidating and unfair. Office culture was unproductive with no team building or moral. No respect for volunteers- this place was all about the money! You are only as good as the dollar amount you brought in. Very stressful! No room for advancement unless you kiss major butt. Days off will come in handy!
Pros
Lots of off day which you will definately NEED!!
Cons
Top heavy...No room for advancement unless you kissed major butt, intimidating work environment, No real resources for the public.
a friendly atmosphere and a great cause
Special Events and Fundraising Intern (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAMarch 11, 2014
The American Diabetes Association is a nice place to work, laid-back, and supports a great cause.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Diabetes Association. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight