American Eagle Outfitters

Based on 2,320 survey responses
What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging

Inconsistant Hours

The hours are not really consistent and they pay is pretty low. However, a typical day of work is a lot of faced paced tasks and multitasking. You are given goals each shift which may be a pro or a con for you.

Pros

Very nice managment

Cons

Pay, Inconsistent hours, rude costumers

Most enjoyable part of job

I always loved coming into work with my fellow employees and interacting with the customers. My position at the time was part-time so I had a good work- life balance especially while I was in school.

Great Journey!

I have loved working at American Eagle, it's a great way to connect with others! I've loved the journey I've been on here at American Eagle 7 I'm so glad I chose to work here!

Great company culture

I have worked at American Eagle Outfitters for 2 years and have never worked for a company that offers the extra perks that they do. They go above and beyond to do little extra things for their associates. Daily stress levels are low, production is reasonable, great management staff, opportunity for growth.

great environment & great people

I loved this job with all my heart. My coworkers are like my family and I would’ve done anything for my management. So flexible with scheduling and actual care about your life outside of work. Only thing that would’ve caused me to leave is the pay at $7.25, a fair price would be $9. Overall great place and great memories.

Pros

management, flexibility, work/life balance, coworkers

Cons

pay

fun place to work at

Just like any regular retail company, there’s bound to be pros and cons. It helps you start somewhere or it helps you in the meantime while your in school or any other occupations.

Fun workplace but stressful management

It was fun working here, I loved fashion so this job was kinda a dream to me at first. Then the true colors of the management showed. They were always stressing about selling jeans to customers, as if they wanted us to force the customers to buy them. It was uncomfortable and annoying. Other than that it was an okay experience, management just needs to be better and stop stressing out the workers.

Typical retail

Typical retail. No work life balance. Pay for the associates and support staff is minimal. DM’s and STL’s are leaving in masses. Turn over rate is terrible due to low wages.

Pros

Discount

Low pay and long hours stay away if you want a life outside of work

Low pay but long hours you receive pay time pay (starting at $8) but working at full time hours if you’re over 18. In my opinion this is not for anyone over 18. Floorset nights they will keep you past midnight sometimes regardless of what time you’re scheduled or if it’s outside of your availability. Constantly schedule outside of your availability and pry into requests off. Corporate doesn’t check up on these things as much as they should. You do get discounts but you also have to buy what your store sells to wear for work. They don’t care about employees personal lives (family, school, sports etc)

Fun work environment

Great first job to have management was really nice and understanding. Really good discount and rewards system. And not a strict uniform so you could basically wear anything you wanted.

The people there were great but the pay wasnt good

I really liked the people there and the friends i created but for the pay and scheduling errors with management it was kind of a struggle. but the discount was SO GOOD but overall there were a few people there on management that made it hard and just the pay overall was not good

Pros

Good discounts

Cons

Pay

Easy but Mentally Draining

The manager at my location was unfit and lacked people skills. Constantly was met with aggression for wanting clarification on certain tasks, and when the concern was brought up, I was told that I can't be so needy. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to make sure I'm doing a proper job. The discounts were why I stayed so long. The company claims to be inclusive but only carries up to an XXL for both men and women. The environment in every location I've been in just feels passive aggressive. When two weeks notice was given, manager proceeded to tell me how every concern I had was entirely my fault and essentially told me how terrible I am AS A PERSON, not employee for 45 minutes. Was a very hostile work environment to be in everyday. Worked my you know what off to be treated like terribly constantly. Manager constantly questioned my actions when I had previous experience at different location.

Pros

Great employee discounts, good products.

Cons

Mentally exhausting, hostile work environment, unfit and untrained managers.

Amazing Company

This was the best job I have had in my life. It was laid back yet everyone did their part. Most corporate companies do not care about the sales associates but American Eagle does. Employee discount was amazing.

Workplace

Managers had favorites and would only cared for them, was very difficult to move up in the company. Managers hired new employees every two weeks, giving hours to new hires instead of people who worked there longer

Who you work with makes the difference.

I will always appreciate the flexible nature of this job, it was truly a blessing. I also loved most of my coworkers...even though I was 10 years older than them lol. Management might expect unreasonable things only because EXTREMELY unreasonable things are expected of them.

Fun place to work and good discounts

I enjoyed working at American Eagle and I would stay if it was not for the pay. You get pretty good discounts and coworkers were nice. Sometimes managers were confusing but they supported me and were mostly understanding and flexible with my schedule. You have a chance to grow inside the company, but pay should be higher because of the tasks they ask for. There’s too much gossip at times and feels like high school because of some employees’ attitude.

Pros

Discounts, free clothing

Cons

Low pay, needs more communication

At the time I worked there we had great management

It’s was pretty basic retail work, I enjoyed working at the outlet and getting to do shipment. We had good management that made sure we always got our breaks on time

Pros

Breaks

Cons

Not a lot of hours for part timers

AEO Reality

Been with the company for a long time. You do learn from some people, but overall the feeling from most managers is that we are over-worked and underpaid. This company makes plenty of money and being told by someone that works at corporate that "there shouldn't be any reason they can't pay store employees fairly" is a slap in the face when I am being told over the years that there is only so much they can do. They will use you for what you are worth which is a NUMBER and nothing more. If you are sick, if you pass away, if an accident happens it does not matter because you are replaceable. They do not value or care about any time that is actually put into running these stores and it is sad. If we were paid and given more incentives other than vague company communications on certain bonuses that are based on KPIs it would make sense for people to stay.

Pros

strong bonds with peers

Cons

compensation, respect level, overall company mindset

Typical retail job

Nothing truly special to working at AE as a manager. In the past there was advantages but currently there is no benefit to being a full time lead.

Pros

discounts

Cons

no set schedule

Fun workplace

Opportunity for advancementFlexible with schedule Fun work environment I was a cashier and i gained a ton of customer service skills. Very rare to get rude customers

Pretty nice community of teens and young adults I guess (I was 19 at the time but yknow the bosses were young adults too)

I liked my experience the ppl were nice but they layed me off pretty quick like they just Stopped giving me hours but oh well that’s holidays jobs for u. Also my first day was on Black Friday and I didn’t get any training beforehand lol but I still had fun if u don’t wanna get hired for the money at least get hired for the experience of it 8/10 👍

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Eagle Outfitters. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at American Eagle Outfitters.
Powered byComparably