American Eagle Outfitters Employee Reviews

51.5K
41.6K
31.1K
Found 4,151 reviews matching the search See all 4,647 reviews
bad
Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2018
It's was alright i will never go back to AE the hours were to much i barely had tome for myself. Customers are disrespectful at times. to much going on
Unfair.
SEASONAL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 19, 2018
American Eagle scarred me from wanting to work for retail ever again very stressful and unfair treatment. As a young teen i felt intimidated from the other employers and it pushed me away from the job.
Pros
discount
Cons
pay
Typical Sales
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLSeptember 19, 2018
Good company that is fun and the clothes are great. Typical hourly sales associate job. Nothing special or fun perks but everyone is young and energetic.
great place to work
American Eagle Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Albertville, MNSeptember 18, 2018
great place if you're looking fro a part time job with friendly management and staff. They are very flexible with the hours that you can work and are overall a great company
Pros
fun and exciting
Cons
vaction is decided on a week to week basis
A year of my life wasted
Sales Associate/Jean Expert (Former Employee) –  anonymous. ill say it’s in south carolinaSeptember 18, 2018
Just a forewarning, they will take advantage of you.
I had the pleasure of working at American Eagle for a little over a year. Just to give you an idea, it was my first job, but I was started at $7.25/hr, and that’s fine! But after a year, I was only paid $7.40/hr. It may vary based on minimum wage in your state, but obviously, this is a little depressing.
I started in the summer of 2017, and was working about 30+ hours a week as a sales associate, but since I was a minor, those were 4 hour shifts. I sometimes got lucky and was asked to work longer, but I was mostly working 6-7 days a week (a summer lost).
This would be a great job for someone looking for some sort of retail experience, but when I say there are other places that would love to have you.... there are other places that would love to have you.
I was always comfortable at American Eagle, but it was very hit or miss. If you weren’t “in” with the people you were working with, it was not an enjoyable place to be working.
I cannot stress this enough: my LODs have made me cry on several occasions and I have wanted to quit the job on the spot many times. I finally found another place to work, and tried managing both jobs in order to keep up with American Eagle, but I finally put my two weeks notice in, and was questioned for it. A fellow employee was asked by the LOD, “Did she say anything bad about the store?!” Right after I wrote on a little note I was quitting.
This is by far the most unprofessional work environment I have ever been in. If you want to be respected and loved, it definitely depends on the work environment.
  more... Those characteristics were not there for me.
I would not recommend this job, or any retail position, to anyone. The customers feel entitled, the management sucks, you cannot have a minute to yourself, and you have to put on a smiling face no matter what.
Just to give an example: I was throwing up one morning and could not make it to my shift, when I came back, I was bombarded with if I had a doctors note. Why would I spend $100 to go to the doctor, when i’m not making squat at this job??
There are so many other opportunities for students out there that can mend to your schedules. This place is not it. My bi-weekly paycheck during the school week, since I could not work more than 1-2 shifts, would be anywhere from $25-$60 ish.
I really would not recommend this job unless you’re going in on salary, because you won’t make anything from it. At all.
The only thing that really kept me on was the discount. You would get a card with a certain amount of items discounted during the floor set (60% off about 10 items, 80% off 2-3 items). After a while, all of their clothes started to look the same and putting on a pretend smile to obnoxious customers was not worth it. Shop at forever 21 and you’ll get the same styles for 80% off American Eagle prices.
Pros
brought in donuts sometimes?? weren’t even that good.
Cons
inadequate coworkers, taken advantage of, little to no advancement, terrible management
Unprofessional managers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pearl, MSSeptember 18, 2018
Starting off, this was a great idea. As I met with my superiors, I noticed they lacked professionalism and ultimately only cared about themselves, not the success of newcomers or customer satisfaction.
Pros
Seasonal discount
Cons
Short breaks, shorter hours, newbies only work 2 days a month, unprofessionalism, unorganization
Wasn’t the greatest
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHSeptember 18, 2018
They said they were gonna work me, and haven’t worked me at all yet besides a total of 5 1/2 hours . They said I’d work 20-30 hours a week and they still won’t put me on the schedule, it’s been like 2-3 weeks. I wanna work, so I feel as if this isn’t the place for me
Great company for retail job
AERIE SALES LEAD (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 18, 2018
Set up associates for success with goals and check ins
Focused on using mission for customer service
Team leaders are available for help and training
Reasonable with availability and scheduling
Focus on team development to hit sales goals
Pros
great environment for work
Loved this job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Times Square, NYSeptember 18, 2018
I loved that the team worked together and no other worker was left behind . I loved the benefits . The managers were extremely nice we got along great .
People you work with are cool
Overnight Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PASeptember 17, 2018
It’s a fun place to work but the pay isn’t very good and there are no benefits. The discount on product is really good. Basically the best part of the job.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Poor pay, no benefits
good place to work if you love clothes
Location - Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  1551-1555 BroadwaySeptember 15, 2018
Helped replenish the sales floor. Sorted out all merchandise in their proper order. Learned different forms of folding clothes. Prestable floor display. Better organization.
Pros
discount
Cons
n/a
Fast paced and fun.
Temp Laborer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, KSSeptember 12, 2018
Working at American Eagle Outfitters Web Distribution Warehouse was often like a grab bag, at times you never knew where in the entire process you would be for the shift and often you would change the job areas several times a shift. The one thing that was a constant was that you had to be fast and accurate for a solid 10 hours. Management personnel was fun to work with.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Fast paced and on your feet for 10 - 12 hours.
If you wanna work they’ll make you work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Webster, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Very fun place to work but they will put you to work if they see you just standing around. Like I said it’s a very friendly place but it’s also a work place. Discounts are nice. Really the only best thing about working at a retailer
Great Benefits
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 12, 2018
If you are looking for a temporary job, something that won't necessarily pay your bills but one that can pay for textbooks or other supplys, then AE is an okay choice.
jhg
Merchandising Lead (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNSeptember 12, 2018
Fun work environment for while I was in school. This is a great part time place to work for the younger crowd. I would recommend this to college students.
sales
Sales Associate and Stylist (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYSeptember 11, 2018
I was a sales specialist at American Eagle. I loved selling clothes and interacting was customers everyday. Great people to work with, although management wasn't the best.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Aurora, OHSeptember 10, 2018
It was really fun working here. Although the hours were always all over the place, they allowed you to request days off. I Think the training could have been better.
Pros
Fun co workers
Cons
Short breaks and not much training
Best place to gain retail experience.
Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  Florence, ALSeptember 9, 2018
American Eagle offers so much in that you really gain a lot of experience in so many aspects in the roles people hold there. I have worked there for 2.5 years so far and I feel like I have learned more there than anywhere else.
Loved my job
Merchandising Lead (Former Employee) –  McLean, VASeptember 9, 2018
I loved working here. You have to be diligent about maintaining work/life balance though because they will eat up every ounce of your free time if you let them.
it was okay
Clerk (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 9, 2018
this was more of a seasonal job for me. the only issue I had was that when the "season" was over they just stopped scheduling me there was no conversation or anything I just hadn't gotten any hours for like a month so I just resigned

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Eagle Outfitters. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

67%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss