American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Legacy Utility run with (relatively) contemporary business principles
Transmission Dispatcher Senior (Former Employee) –  New Albany, OHAugust 12, 2018
Transmission Operations at AEP is relatively fast-paced and carries a higher workload than smaller utilities. AEP is also in the top 3 transmission companies for overall capital investment dollars through 2020, so the level of (relatively) complex construction switching is higher here than at a utility doing fewer system upgrades. The upside is that transmission operators here will experience a wider array of operational challenges related to multi-phase construction project switching that makes them ideal for roles assisting other companies in doing the same when their time comes.
Pros
Brand new control room, great discount programs with companies like Verizon and Ford
Cons
Still a legacy utility so good ole' boy politics can still slow you down
Good
Graphics Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 11, 2018
Yes indeed is making me do this even though I had no intention of doing so.
I need 150 characters to Leave this screen.
So blah blah blah blah blah
Good place to work if you enjoy travel
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 7, 2018
Company has local plants in Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Louisiana that are serviced from the Dallas area. Work can be fast paced and varied. Compensation is good.
Stressful enviroment. Non Rewarding
Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bridgman, MIAugust 5, 2018
If you like stress, a work place that promotes from within the worst of its employees. Not being recognized for your dedication to your performance and support of the company. Than this is the place for you
Very competitive in salary
Administrative Assistant Sr IV (Current Employee) –  Vernon, TX 76384July 3, 2018
Great place to work. Environment is fast paced but you are well compensated for hard work. Have a great culture and value culture as high as safety. I would work for them again if the logistics were right.
Pros
Excellent pay, great benefits, bonus pay
Cons
Stressful
safety high priority
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHJune 27, 2018
work as a team , able to problem solve on your own. again your safety high priority, workout in the morning , safety meetings good time talking with other employees
Pros
good employees new vehicles
Cons
management keeps u in the dark as far as your job
Productive and fun workplace
Lead Generation Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 26, 2018
I did not work here long enough to generate an accurate assessment of the organization. I did see a positive environment and advancement opportunities available to the full-time employees that worked there every day.
great place to work
RATA Flow test technician I (Former Employee) –  Warrendale, PAJune 26, 2018
It was a nice place to work I learned a lot from working there. Very nice place to work and the time I spent here was very enjoyable. Very family oriented
Great teamwork!
Sr. IT/Business Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 24, 2018
A great place to work! Wonderful facilities & cafeteria! I was a consultant there - so my perspective may be a little unique. We were always having large-group meetings and there we only a limited number of conference rooms that were able to hold 15+ people within the room. Also, we were always moving around from room to room - so the slowness of the elevators downtown was a hindrance when we had back-to-back meetings, and was often tramping that carpeting up and down the hallways - which really needed to be updated/was very dated.
Pros
Spectacular views of downtown
Cons
Long hours occasionally
Great People
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 23, 2018
The people at AEP are very hospitable. The problem I had was there felt like a large amount of inertia to adapting to new ideas. An older workforce overall in terms of the diversity of peers.
peaceful
Substation Network Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 17, 2018
less work stress, more work life balance good company stable job more beneficial for career in power electronics and systems growth is ambiguous less coding jobs
Avoid at ALL costs
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJune 17, 2018
All they do is dispose of employees. It’s a joke. No breaks allowed. Favoritism, sexism, no diversity, no culture. They are outsourcing all jobs to India to “save money”. They are evil.
Cons
Good ole boy management mentally
Journeyman- the ability (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJune 15, 2018
If you have an incident no matter how small it never be forgotten. And don't think if you leave there or ask to leave you will not work locally in that area. Everyone knows everyone and will throw you under the bus. HR for other companies in the area will here everything. Current management included. So if you do decide to go to work there get used to fearing management or fear of losing your job. I only know from experience. Also know employees from other local places and let me know what was said to keep from being hired. Company is good with benefits and work but management is a dictatorship. And the union there sucks won't stand with and sides with management
Hope your from here that's how you stay there
It depends on the department you work in
Employee (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 12, 2018
the department I left to work in my present position has people who really don't know the job and are learning on the fly. I couldn't trust the manager to have my back at all. I got so used to handling issue on my own, that when I came over to my present position, I had to get used to having a manager who has my back, wants me to check in with them, engages me and holds me accountable. I am still getting used to that.
Pros
depending on where you work, it can can a great experience
Cons
Frontline management needs an overhaul in some departments
Bad the last two years.
Project Contracts Manager - Generation (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 11, 2018
Things were getting really bad towards the last two years there. Consultants - Management drinking the Kool-aid. Sad they couldn't look at the whole picture. There was no life-balance.
Pros
Paid for my education
Cons
No life balance, lack of trust.
It is an exciting company to work for. Numerous opportunities at various times for advancement.
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 29, 2018
Typical day is unloading the reports off the printer, separating them, and putting them in to bins to be sent through the build delivery system to various floors.

The management is easy to get along with and very helpful.

I learned how to code JCL, how to troubleshoot any problems with the printer or the tape drives. Other things were how to submit jobs through Batch processing and resubmit jobs after they have been fixed or corrected.

As I recall, there was no really hard part to the job.

Workplace culture was very comfortable to work in and very pleasant.

There was no single thing that stood out that was enjoyable. The whole experience to me was enjoyable.
fast paced with multiple tasks, mostly laid back
Material Handler/Store Attendant (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHMay 24, 2018
Fast paced
Always something to be done
Great co-workers with friendly attitudes, considered as friends

I was a temp out of Mancan, did not receive benefits or regular pay
Pros
free to complete tasks in any order when applicable
Relaxed friendly environment
Protection and Control Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 23, 2018
Well structured and organized, continuous training. Supervisors possessed high degree of technical competence. Productive meetings. Efficient tools and documentation available for completing tasks.
Pros
Plenty of outside company activities, low travel
Cons
Working from templates. creativity inhibited
Great place to work.
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 20, 2018
While employed with American Electric Power they let me cross train on other jobs. After I learned the job I was given the opportunity to do the job on a full time basis. I learned alot about benefits not just medical. I also learned about retirement plans, 401k plans and life insurance. I have nothing negative to say about American Electric Power. I was given the opportunity to learn more about HR and the benefits within the company which made me more of an asset to the company.
Pros
Benefits and pay are great.
Cons
Nothing.
Needs Work
Meter Revenue Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 14, 2018
Management has lack of respect for person of color, favoritism was given and provided to specific people. If you are not in the inside group you cannot have clear and safe job security.