American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

Unreal expectations
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Hurricane, WVFebruary 17, 2019
I was hired for call center position. The entire time I was in training, the trainers and supervisors spoke how they want you to succeed and that family comes first.... that they understand that you’re human and life happens. That couldn’t be further from the truth. If you miss work, it hurts your rankings. Everything is based on performance! You could have 100 calls and 99 of them be simply perfection but that 1 call is what they concentrated on. It’s not what you do right but everything you do wrong. There’s no leeway. They also encourage telling on each other for minuscule reasons. I was so happy to leave and not look back!!
Boring and frustrating employer
Supply Chain Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Gahanna, OHFebruary 11, 2019
Inefficiencies and lack of direction and organization made progress difficult. Employees would take advantage of relaxed working environment. It was very frustrating,
Good Job for now
Production Support Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winfield, WVFebruary 11, 2019
I like my job and have had a lot of good to note throughout my career. I personally feel that AEP is going to be around for a long time however my current line of work may not be.
Pros
Good people, good pay, decent benefits
Cons
Tons of hours, tight deadlines, strict policies
Bill Print Operator IV (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHFebruary 1, 2019
Good company to work for. Great benefit package, medical, dental and vision plus 401k plan. Discounts on a variety of products. Great work environment
Decent place to make a living.
Sr. Ash Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 23, 2019
The job I had was fun and challenging,
I learned how big business runs and that the coal electric generating industry is going by the wayside in favor of gas.
Pros
I have made a good living with AEP for 37 plus years.
Cons
Due to the Natural Gas industry, the coal fired generating plants are slowly becoming extinct
Great work experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHJanuary 20, 2019
AEP was a great company to work for and if they were located in the Tampa Bay Area I would still be working for them. Extremely organized company that focused on providing there employees with a positive working environment.
Pros
Extremely fair company
Cons
Not located in Florida
Good place, if you find your niche.
Engineer Principal (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 14, 2019
I enjoyed my career and the company was good to me overall. It's a large organization and the individual is easily forgotten. Recent shifts in management focus from the job at hand to chasing after the latest trends in the industry are hard on the more seasoned employees.
Pros
Stable employment with many great people.
Cons
Lost its way with changes ninth industry.
Can do better
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 13, 2019
This should not be a required field. I am currently working for this company and am not comfortable speaking about a company I am currently working for
no job security
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENATIVE (Former Employee) –  Hurricane, WVJanuary 7, 2019
I did not like being a contract employee. They didn't give you any leeway if you have to go to restroom more than 3 times a day. Training was very good.
AEP offered a lot of opportunities
Maintenance Mechanic A (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, INJanuary 7, 2019
I wish I could have retired from AEP. I met good people there. I learned many valuable skills and I learned experience in managing people and situations.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Lakin, WVJanuary 4, 2019
They tried hard to make the culture at aep better. They were succeeding when I left. I would work for them again in the future giving the chance. Would recommend.
N/a
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 2, 2019
AEP was a great work to place. Great pay and excellent work hours.
Great place to grow with the company. Great benefits.Wonderful management teams. Clean work building.
Great people and rewarding position
Chief Chemist of Wastewater Analysis (Current Employee) –  Groveport, OHJanuary 1, 2019
Overall, it's a very great company. They work towards advancing their employees, and generally care about the individual. I would recommend if you have the proper qualifications that you apply here.
good place to make money
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INDecember 31, 2018
enjoyed my time working with american electric power, i would recommend it to anyone who wants to advance into career fields like this one, i enjoyed the percs
Pros
money
Cons
health, bad management systems
Short term contract
CORPORATE RECRUITER (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 26, 2018
I was at AEP for a short term contract. Did not have a lot of time to get too involved in the culture. No complaints about the company, but no opportunities for career growth for me.
Safety culture driven
Process Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Conesville, OHDecember 22, 2018
Zero Harm worksite, Zero tolerance for for shortcuts. Enviormental impacts are discussed/planned into pre-job. Employees safety and well being are high priorities.
Good work life balance
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 17, 2018
Better work life balance.
Good compensation.
Great management which takes care of their employees.
Good for people who would like to start their career and stay in a place for a very long time.
Great work culture
Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  OhioDecember 11, 2018
I love working at American Electric Power! Great management and coworkers. Excellent benefits for all types of employees. There is room for growth within the company.
Stable place to work in power industry
Customer Services Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 8, 2018
It was a well paying position with some direction. I would have liked more support from the actual management, and I felt that when we left there was little debriefing and that the they didn't care a whole lot. Got along well with co-workers, though.
Abusive Culture
Energy Trader (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 16, 2018
I worked at AEP for 3 months on the trading desk. The training consisted of "take good notes". The lead trader of the desk at the time was only interested in taking care of his friends and wanted nothing to do with new people. The lead trader was constantly responding to HR about his own misbehavior, which seemed to have no effect. On the third day as an employee, another trader asked me to buy transmission for him. I asked him to show me how. He responded, "how do you not know this?!?" to which I responded, "today is my third day and no one has shown me yet." He was seemingly unaware of and annoyed by the fact that someone needed to show new traders the procedures. He said to me "it doesn't matter, it's your responsibility!" He refused to show me. It was the most petulant thing I have ever witnessed in a professional environment.
Additionally, the lead trader would often insult and berate employees who were not his friends. It wasn't uncommon of him to threaten to throw a phone at employees.
Overall, this was the benchmark for the worst and most shockingly unprofessional employment experience of my career.
Pros
Cons
Bad attitudes, threats of violence, constant verbal abuse and condescension