American Electric Power (AEP) Employee Reviews

no longer work here - was severed in 2003
Associate Programmer (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJuly 9, 2017
This was a good company to work for. There was much advancement and learning opportunities. I had spent 25 years here until the company relocated my department and I was severed in 2003.
Pros
good benefits and many learning opportunities
Cons
did not always care for my shift work
Great company and great benefits
Protection and Control Technician II (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 8, 2017
This is a very well established company that just keeps growing and innovating with technology. If you are interested in the utility industry this is one of the best places to work for.
Great
Sr. Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Bridgman, MIJuly 6, 2017
Great company to work for, corporate level trays you well and lets you feel apart of organization. Highly recommend this company, great people. Yahoo.
Fast paced work environment
Distribution Dispatcher IV (Former Employee) –  Groveport, OHJuly 1, 2017
Being a dispatcher at this company has a very demanding, but rewarding responsibility. Overseen the daily operations of field personnel and made sure by the end of the day everyone went home safely.
Pros
good work ethic
Are you willing??
ICE Tech (Current Employee) –  WVJune 24, 2017
I can only speak from Generation experience. I worked for the roving maintenance group first. If you like travel and don't care about being away from family, you'll make money. I transferred into a permanent plant position. Front line supervision is pretty good on the whole, above that, it's the typical production grab mentality. You'll have to put up with the whole LEAN initiative (which hasn't worked), and the Sarban-Zoxley (sp) study that caused all the parts and tooling you need to disappear (God forbid a company has to pay tax on supply stock). The benefits have been decreasing steadily. If you want a place to gain experience in generation before they phase you out for the T&D profits, then AEP is for you.
Pros
Plants are a good place to work. Camaraderie. Union represented hourly workforce for the most part.
Cons
Steadily decreasing benefits, transition out of generation, inane policies about efficiency and saving money
Hated it
Customer Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 15, 2017
1star managers are inept job is easy too much work for the amount of pay managers are not sympathetic to any personal issues one may have there are double standards and some mgrs are racist
Prductive employer that cares about employees
Protection and Control Technician, Substation (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 15, 2017
Great place to work. I have no complaints, I like to keep options open as im not tied to down to any specific area at the moment. I like to keep resume upt o date for opportunity purposes.
Well established corporation
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgman, MIJune 15, 2017
Challenging and rewarding work environment. Depending on job position, time demands can be great. Developed strong management and leadership skills at the corporation.
rewarding occupation
Customer Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 13, 2017
The benefits and compensation were excellent. Shifts were hard to work at times being away from family late hours. Some of the metrics used were not attainable.
Fun for the most part
Stores Attendant A (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXJune 8, 2017
Management could be so much better. A new rule is made up every time someone has an accident.

Learned about heavy equipment
Culture could be so much better. Seems like a good ol' boy system. If you don't do as they do you are stuck out
Pros
hours
Excellent job.
Balance Of Plant process supervisor (Current Employee) –  Conesville ohioJune 5, 2017
I would recommend anyone to work for them. Great revolving culture. Benefits are outstanding. Safety is first and foremost. Multiple chances to advance.
Pros
Wonderful people
Cons
Coal facility....in this day and age it's tuff to keep up to EPA demands in a deregulated state
Frontline Enterprise IT Security
Information Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 4, 2017
Being a part of a team protecting one of the largest electrical infrastructures of our country was very exciting. AEP was at the forefront of Cyber Security & Physical Security and the marriage of the two. Great opportunities to learn and grow.
aep
AP/AR PAYROLL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, TXJune 2, 2017
I worked for RSO which is owned by AEP. it was a pretty new company and had a lot of flaws. overall the experience was great, very fast paced. AEP was and is a great company just the RSO division was lacking.
Contract Employ
Construction/Quality Control Coordinator (Current Employee) –  VariousMay 21, 2017
I worked as a contract employee for 11 years as a construction coordinator. While at AEP I have worked on a variety of projects for many mangers, all of whom have treated me well.
Great benefits
Principal Environmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 18, 2017
A challenging corporate culture. Its a large fortune 500 company, therefore there is a lot of company guidelines. There is still a typical large utility culture.
Interesting
Administrative Associate I (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHMay 7, 2017
The time I spent at American Electric Power I developed life long friendships and obtained business experience that will assist in my future job endeavors.
Excellent work environment.
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 30, 2017
Great work environment, loved everyone I worked with. They gave you every resource you need to succeed. No complaints. Everyone worked just as hard as their neighbor. Never felt that I couldn't ask anyone for help with new topics or projects.
Good place good people to work with
Designer, Communications 3-1/2 yrs (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 22, 2017
Worked as a contractor. Good atmosphere. Direct employees treated contractors with respect. Managers listened and were there to facilitate. Good work organization. The work day went pretty smooth.
Pros
Good people. Managers treated you well.
Cons
Not much chance to get hired on direct at that time.
Leading Electrical Generator
Engineer I, Fire Protection System Manager (Former Employee) –  Buchanan, MIApril 15, 2017
American Electric Power is a leading electrical generation supplier and transmission company. They work hard to keep things online and the electricity available.
Benefits
Cons
Can require long hours
Not a good work environment.
Engineering Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, LAApril 1, 2017
Politics was too ingrained with upper management. Often difficult to really understand what was wanted and needed from them. Felt as if there were unknown agendas. HR guidelines did not apply to the upper management group. I felt I could be disciplined or fired at any time with no reason. In my position I had no opportunity for arbitration.
Pros
Good Compensation
Cons
Uncertainty, didn't always know what was being required and why.