American Electric Power

American Electric Power Employee Reviews in Bridgman, MI

Bridgman, MI21 reviews

electriccoaloutagepowerutilitysafetyculturebenefit

Very professional

Exciting and cutting edge place to work. Can become very long hours however... Enjoyed my time there, left for personal reasons. A good group of people committed to working safely.

Pros

Pay, advancement

Cons

Sometimes, long hours

Overall, a great place to work with good benefits. Management is supportive and helps drive personal goals and encourages self improvement and growth.

Pros

Work environment, compensation, expectations, trust

American Electric Power insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Good pay and benefits

Great pay, bad work life balance, management not very engaged in taking care of workers. Great benefits. Nuclear is a different animal, better get used to playing by there rules

Increasing work load to meet company goals.

AEP is a great company to work for, competitive wages with opportunity for growth. The company is very family oriented and strives to ensure the safety of all employees.

Good place to work, stressful at times

During normal online operations, its standard job conditions, 40 hour work weeks with occasional overtime. During outages, the pace picks up and can be very stressful. Management gets a little testy when the unit is offline!

Great paying job with good benefits. Long stressfull hours during refueling outages.

Many meetings to attend to provide feedback and updates to the senior leadership team. Lot of time reading or writing reports and completing corrective actions. Worked with many different departments to coordinate material arrival to the plant as scheduled.

Pros

Great benefits and pay

Cons

Stressful outages

Nulear Culture, is a great environment for persons seeking a professional work environment

AEP is a great company in which to work for. Allot of great opportunities available for employees to continue job training or education. • Nuclear Professional • Support your Peers • Recognize and Mitigate Risk • Cook Values All fall under AEP-DC Cook Priorities *great work culture to be part of

Pros

Good work / home balance

Cons

Lots of Overtime

Stressful enviroment. Non Rewarding

If you like stress, a work place that promotes from within the worst of its employees. Not being recognized for your dedication to your performance and support of the company. Than this is the place for you

Cut throat

It's hard to explain how terribly treated you are at this Nuclear Site. Management never will back you, and its NOT SAFE to SAY! Most fellow employees are a pleasure to work with. After that be prepared to watch your every move.

Pros

Cons

A lot

very stressful

Very stressful working environment. Manatory overtime. Cutthroat management. Nuclear industry has uncertain future. Good pay, great benefits, good vacation policy.

Pros

pay

Cons

stress

great

a typical day at work, what you learned, management, workplace culture, the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job. Great place to work.

A good employer that took care of its employees

I worked for AEP at our Donald C. Cook Nuclear Plant for ~23 years. During this time frame I advanced regularly until I retired in 2015 as a Principal Engineer. . Pay was competitive throughout my tenure and we received generous bonuses when the company did very well. . There was exceptional emphasis on worker industrial safety. Training in this area was extensive and included the OSHA Ten Hour Course in my case. We also had a vibrant Behavioral Based Safety program of peer coaching and anonymous statistical recording. . I received special permission to work from my hotel room on the Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, FL campus while my wife was being treated for cancer. . The work group had a family feeling that wasn't necessary true of all work groups. . A typical day started at 8 am with a group meeting at 8:30 am. . I learned a lot about laboratory testing and measurements. I had numerous incarnations of industrial safety, radiological safety, error reduction and general engineering training.

Pros

Our Material Center was less than 1.5 miles from my home.

Cons

Night shift work during refueling outages.

Job was very detail oriented

review surveillances- identify errors and have them corrected - required focus and concentration - little oversight - benefits good -good work culture

Pros

autonomy, good benefit, paid vacations, safety culture, job satisfaction

Cons

job security, not people oriented

Company

Good company. Production driven - poor in nuclear power. Mediocrity a norm. Very good people at plant. Good design. Accountability for workers is mixed.

Great

Great company to work for, corporate level trays you well and lets you feel apart of organization. Highly recommend this company, great people. Yahoo.

Well established corporation

Challenging and rewarding work environment. Depending on job position, time demands can be great. Developed strong management and leadership skills at the corporation.

Excellent

The units were in good shape coming up at that time and the work load was manageable. Enjoyed working there, the location the city, the area around the plant was great.

Pros

Living in Michigan

Cons

Winter

Meets Basic Standards

If you want your life to be all about the job and only the job this is the place to be.

Pros

Good Compensation and Benefits

Cons

Terrible Work Life Balance

Great company to work for- 5 stars in all

Aep has several hydro, fossils and one nuclear power plants. They have excellent health and 401 k benefitsIt is great organization to work for and they give great bonuses at the nuclear plant..

A good Career

I loved my job is an understatement. I wanted to retire from there. I loved everything I did, I was given many opportunities, training, additional responsibilities, advancement, benefits, i could go on and on

Pros

great advancement opportunities

Cons

was laid-off

Good Place to work

Go safe work environment, Many opportunities to develop a career

Pros

security

Cons

hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at American Electric Power. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.3Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight